Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Empire for Android

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> Empire for Android Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Empire for Android - 25/7/2011 7:27:59 PM   
snaze1

Excuse my ignorance as i am a complete newbie to this (Got one today for my birthday!) but is it possible or will it be possible to get Empire for Android 2.2?
Post #: 1
RE: Empire for Android - 25/7/2011 9:07:07 PM   
HIM

I wouldn't hold your breath, we've been asking for over a year.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 2
RE: Empire for Android - 26/7/2011 10:44:50 AM   
Discodez

Is there any need for an ap though? I've got an HTC and you can access the website and it all looks pretty good. I've read and posted onto these forums before now using my phone.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 3
RE: Empire for Android - 26/7/2011 12:50:18 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I'm guessing the OP is asking about Empire being available as a magazine in a similar way as it is on the iPad rather than just an app to access the site

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 4
RE: Empire for Android - 27/7/2011 8:58:11 AM   
James Dyer

Certianly not in the forseeable future. The main problem is that Android is an OS and not a device, with lots of different tablets all offering different screen sizes and resolutions. The iPad edition is very precisely designed and laid out to be readable on the iPad's screen and there's no easy way we could do it so that it would work on various sized displays in the same way.

"Mrs Landingham, what's next?"

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 5
RE: Empire for Android - 17/2/2012 5:54:37 AM   
punkologist

That's a bit lazy to be honest. Have a look at comic rack for android. It doesn't seem to have any of the problems you are using as an excuse...

It's a shame as I would buy Empire digitally if I could. My subscription to the paper version has just run out and I have not renewed mainly because I do all my magazine/comic reading on my Motorola Xoom.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 6
RE: Empire for Android - 15/3/2012 12:55:01 AM   
jengla

This is an incredibly lazy response. The whole of the web is based upon different screen sizes and resolutions and yet proves no difficulty, Before Mr Jobs' PR crew decided to throw around the "fragmentation" argument of Android everyone has decided that he had a point. The fact that most of us (mere mortals) run Windows PCs on different hardware and screen resolutions has apparently been forgotten.

Before we get a response as weak as this, it is about time to consider that the Android platform has proven the most popular in the UK and if you took one look at the apps of IMDB or Friendcaster (for examples) you may notice that they have overcome such "difficulties". Android is here to stay. The fact that Empire ignores this and offers NOTHING! We would even be happy with a Zinio digital copy of the magazine but NO! Total Film have at least done this and because I do not wish to continue collecting vast forests worth of Empire magazine (in hardcopy) I am reduced to going elsewhere.

I am speaking from a developer's perspective and program for both IOS and Android. Time to wake up and smell the 21st Century Empire magazine! Bad show!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 7
RE: Empire for Android - 19/3/2012 3:15:14 AM   
johnson90

does it supports android gingerbread ?please ? how to?

central air conditioning and heating systems
central heating

(in reply to jengla)
Post #: 8
RE: Empire for Android - 5/1/2013 8:57:46 AM   
jleenen

Hey Empire! :)
Since it's now 2013 and times they are a-changing, is there any new information about an Android version of the magazine? Even though the last response wasn't promising, I'm rather hoping that you guys have changed your mind and decided to go with the non-Apple flow...

(in reply to johnson90)
Post #: 9
RE: Empire for Android - 9/1/2013 12:49:46 PM   
James Dyer

We're not opposed to the idea, we've just not got around to putting a prototype together. Both Android and iPhone are on the to-do list though it won't be for a while yet.

(in reply to jleenen)
Post #: 10
RE: Empire for Android - 12/1/2013 2:22:27 PM   
CarlTheMovie

And yet Total Film, SFX Magazine and many many others have managed accomplish to get on Android

Is just another example of an Apple monopoly? Books and magazine's should not be exclusively based on a single platform. It would be like empire Paperback only being available in WH Smith.

Please don't tell me I'm right.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 11
RE: Empire for Android - 14/1/2013 4:25:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: CarlTheMovie

And yet Total Film, SFX Magazine and many many others have managed accomplish to get on Android

Is just another example of an Apple monopoly? Books and magazine's should not be exclusively based on a single platform. It would be like empire Paperback only being available in WH Smith.

Please don't tell me I'm right.

Sadly that is the case Carl. Anyway, its their loss.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to CarlTheMovie)
Post #: 12
RE: Empire for Android - 15/1/2013 9:02:29 AM   
CarlTheMovie

Deffently their loss, bit pathetic though. God I hate apple

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 13
RE: Empire for Android - 22/1/2013 10:49:12 PM   
KingofallSamurai

It's not quite as simple as only selling Empire at WHSmith, since there's no functional difference between the magazine whichever shop you buy it in.

In terms of technical issues - the issue is that if you make an interactive version for the iPad, it works on all devices easily, whereas doing it for Android is a nightmare because of the fragmentation. This is why Total Film's Android version is basically a PDF reader, from what I understand. I'd really not like to read a PDF version of a magazine because it's like scanning in a book and trying to read it instead of buying a Kindle book/iBook.

Follow the white rabbit ........

(in reply to CarlTheMovie)
Post #: 14
RE: Empire for Android - 23/1/2013 12:27:59 AM   
jonners99

You don't need to do a dedicated app, in fact I would prefer you didn't. At least put it on zinio though, then it works on everything automatically.

< Message edited by jonners99 -- 23/1/2013 12:28:17 AM >

(in reply to KingofallSamurai)
Post #: 15
RE: Empire for Android - 23/1/2013 12:37:17 PM   
jleenen

quote:

ORIGINAL: KingofallSamurai

It's not quite as simple as only selling Empire at WHSmith, since there's no functional difference between the magazine whichever shop you buy it in.

In terms of technical issues - the issue is that if you make an interactive version for the iPad, it works on all devices easily, whereas doing it for Android is a nightmare because of the fragmentation. This is why Total Film's Android version is basically a PDF reader, from what I understand. I'd really not like to read a PDF version of a magazine because it's like scanning in a book and trying to read it instead of buying a Kindle book/iBook.

Agreed, up to a point. A full-functioning Empire app would be awesome, but right now, I (and probably many others) would definitely settle for a PDF. Still better than absolutely nothing at all, which is the case now.

(in reply to KingofallSamurai)
Post #: 16
RE: Empire for Android - 29/1/2013 3:04:57 PM   
jwa90010

It's time for Empire to make itself available in the US market for all potential subscribers. That includes android users. You are missing out on a huge marketplace. Android is practically doubling its market every month. And please don't tell us you're being blackmailed by Apple to limit it to IPad. Time to get off your backsides and get to work satisfying one of the largest potential subscriber bases in the world. And just to think, much of what you write about is movies made in the US or by US companies. Man of Steel, for example. Even though its star is British, he is playing an American Icon. Just look at the boxoffice for the movies you talk about. How much of that comes from US playdates? After twenty years don't you think it's time to step up?

(in reply to jleenen)
Post #: 17
RE: Empire for Android - 21/5/2013 8:59:36 AM   
robcam73

After 10 years subscription I will be leaving soon unless there is some sort of Android app/play magazine. Bit pathetic you have not got anything out there yet really when it has been on iPad for so long.

(in reply to jwa90010)
Post #: 18
RE: Empire for Android - 21/5/2013 10:00:35 AM   
James Dyer

Android is certainly on the roadmap but it won't be before the end of the year. Adobe (who make our reader) haven't yet moved their Android version into a proper beta and until they do we can't look at adapting Empire for it. An iPhone version of the mag is something we're going to look at in the meantime and once an Android platform is available we'll take a look at that as well.

And there is no conspiracy - Apple couldn't care less where we publish.

(in reply to robcam73)
Post #: 19
RE: Empire for Android - 28/5/2013 9:46:08 AM   
sampei

I have an android too and it would be awesome - waiting for this to happen.

A cinema villain essentially needs a moustache so he can twiddle with it gleefully as he cooks up his next nasty plan. Free hosting

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 20
RE: Empire for Android - 29/5/2013 7:20:49 PM   
SafariJeff

My twopenneth here

I was a long time subscriber but living in the US had to give it up because of the cost of airmail and that the magazine would take so long to arrive that the films were almost on DVD by the time I was reading the reviews.

So I've purchased an Android tablet (as it seems that more and more are doing so on a daily basis) I don't need a flashy app, I'd be quite happy with a Zinio PDF out a day or two after publication at the moment Future are filling that gap for me at the expense of Empire

(in reply to sampei)
Post #: 21
RE: Empire for Android - 6/6/2013 10:05:59 AM   
Soong

Crotchet Today! and Simply Knitting have both overcome the massive technical issues of releasing on Google Play.

One day, one day!

(in reply to SafariJeff)
Post #: 22
RE: Empire for Android - 25/7/2013 5:42:26 PM   
dpjohnston

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Dyer

Android is certainly on the roadmap but it won't be before the end of the year. Adobe (who make our reader) haven't yet moved their Android version into a proper beta and until they do we can't look at adapting Empire for it. An iPhone version of the mag is something we're going to look at in the meantime and once an Android platform is available we'll take a look at that as well.

And there is no conspiracy - Apple couldn't care less where we publish.

Despite what I says above about 'not before the end of the year' Empire is now available on Google Play :

https://play.google.com/store/magazines/details/Empire?id=CAowl9GoBw

Still no mention of this on the Empire website though amongst the adverts for the ipad version.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 23
RE: Empire for Android - 25/7/2013 8:50:25 PM   
Jose Chungs Doomsday

Now they just have to sort out the price...

(in reply to dpjohnston)
Post #: 24
RE: Empire for Android - 25/7/2013 8:58:26 PM   
James Dyer

Yes, sorry about that. We've been focused on trying to get an 'interactive' version on Android just like the iPad edition. That's a long way off but since you all were clamouring for an Android version we've put together a PDF version so at least you can read the mag on Android (if not in a particularly engaging way). I didn't mention it as I wasn't sure how long it would take and didn't want to be breaking promises. But... SURPRISE!

(in reply to Jose Chungs Doomsday)
Post #: 25
RE: Empire for Android - 26/7/2013 4:36:49 PM   
Najemikon

This is awesome news as I was getting so frustrated. All I wanted was a pdf version to be honest, especially as my 20 year collection of the print mag is just getting too out of hand. Sight And Sound's digital subscription is awesome, not least because it includes the entire back catalogue, so to not have anything at all from Empire was downright backward.

So, two quick questions, if you don't mind, James! :)

A) is there a way for existing subscribers to get this for free as part of print sub? I'm guessing not, but you can't blame me for asking. ;)

B) will the pdf edition include the subscriber only covers, like this month's spidey version?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 26
RE: Empire for Android - 26/7/2013 5:18:09 PM   
James Dyer

a) not at present. I don't know how Google Play works, exactly but I'll make sure the subs team look into trying to offer the same deal as with the iPad edition (ie 5). I can't promise anything though.
b) No, just the newsstand ones I'm afraid.

(in reply to Najemikon)
Post #: 27
RE: Empire for Android - 27/7/2013 1:08:06 PM   
Najemikon

That would be really good, otherwise to some degree Android will still be getting treated like a poor cousin of Apple when in fact it's so well established now neither platform should be disregarded in favour of the other.

One more question, and this might be more of a deal breaker, when is the release date for the Android issue? At least in line with the retail date for the print version I hope...

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 28
RE: Empire for Android - 29/7/2013 11:03:01 AM   
James Dyer

Quick update on this. Our subs data people are talking to google but the ETA isn't till end of year. Sorry about that. We're getting there, though!

(in reply to Najemikon)
Post #: 29
RE: Empire for Android - 29/7/2013 8:29:13 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Najemikon
One more question, and this might be more of a deal breaker, when is the release date for the Android issue?

I'd like to know this too, it is still the Hobbit issue that is available right now

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Najemikon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> Empire for Android Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI