Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beginners - 24/7/2011 12:32:15 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Beginners - 24/7/2011 12:32:15 AM   
Whistler

A down to earth indie drama with a refreshing story structure. I went into this one knowing literally nothing about it, other than the fact that it starred Ewan McGregor. I came out thoroughly satisfied. Modest performances all round, plenty of laughs, a few cry's, and a cute dog. As the verdict says, maybe not a MUST-see, but it's definitely one I'd recommend.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Beginners - 3/8/2011 2:01:41 PM   
thetruth

I liked this a lot,it covers a range of emotions.Ewan is decent here,though the gay issue is a bit twee,almost Philladelphia-like.
Reminded me a bit of Gondreys Sience of Sleep,quite quirkey in parts.Hard to sum up as an overall experience,its like a very dry wine,tasty,but still leaves you thirsty.
That said,solid 4 stars for me.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 3
Beginners: Review - 17/8/2011 12:48:14 AM   
Edward9630

Beginners is a terrible film. My problems with the film is its a bit boring, they use alot of the same scenes over and over, it felt like the director didnt know what to put in the scene so he decided to put in that scene and the characters werent to interesting to follow. The only good parts in the film were that some scenes were funny. I would only recommend not to see this film.

Post #: 4
- 6/2/2012 2:47:11 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Good, if only for the acting. Unique story that could have been better developed.

Post #: 5
Beginners - 23/2/2012 11:04:51 PM   
lynnshep

Okay, slow, boring. Overrated

Post #: 6
Beginners - 23/2/2012 11:04:52 PM   
lynnshep

Okay, slow, boring. Overrated

Post #: 7
- 24/6/2012 12:14:58 PM   
danfacey711

Brilliant performances, often quaint storyline (that could have been developed more to pick up the often pace), but this film does bring joy and happiness in the sadder of times, with a few laughs and cries. Overall, I personally think this is a little underrated.

Post #: 8
Some intense navel gazing - 11/8/2014 11:19:56 AM   
RJNeb2

Cute almost to the point of irritation, this semi-autobiographical film is filled with nice characters unnecessarily agonising over things that shouldn’t bother them. Serenely presiding over them all is Plummer as the 75-year-old widower who comes out to his son after the death of his wife. He’s the only well-adjusted one among them. McGregor is the bewildered son who is about to muck up his movie-perfect romance with the adorable Laurent because of his own neuroses. Playing fast and loose with flashbacks, it’s well acted and heartfelt (it’s based on director Mills and his own father), it says a lot when the one we feel the most more is a worldly wise Jack Russell.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Beginners Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI