Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Veteran - 20/7/2011 3:56:51 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 20/7/2011 3:56:51 PM   
UK SCAR

Kebbell was good. But, who ever did the gun training in the final shootout needs to choose another profession. It completely ruind the entire film for me. He is supposed to be ex parachute regiment. It should/could have been so much better and believable.

They got it fairly spot on in Route Irish, what little there is in that film. You're supposed to believe this guy has seen contact in theatre. Moving and shooting like he did in the last 10 minutes of that film would have had him KIA very quickly. His drills and skills were appalling

And the overall plot seemed to get a bit fuddled around the time of the girl saving him from having his head sawn off.

You want to believe in the protagonist. I was left disappointed!

Mark Womacks portrayal was much closer to the real deal in Route Irish. But I expected that of a Loach film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 21/7/2011 10:29:40 AM   
nickyoung

Nice stuff to share with us...

(in reply to UK SCAR)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: - 22/7/2011 1:28:04 PM   
UK SCAR

It is an enjoyable film, but could have been a whole lot better in my opinion.

(in reply to nickyoung)
Post #: 4
RE: RE: - 14/8/2011 7:42:43 PM   
princessa

REally enjoyed it.  I agree with the review.  An excellent movie; very powerful.  Good performances expecially from the lead.

(in reply to UK SCAR)
Post #: 5
The Veteran: Review - 17/8/2011 12:56:04 AM   
Edward9630

The Veteran is a very good film. It has a great story, the actors did a good performance for their characters and the ending was well done. Theres a great fight scene in the end & a twist which I really liked. My only compliant about this film the movie felt a bit dragged out then it needed to be. A truly enjoyable film with interesting thoughts about reality. I would recommend to go see this film.

Post #: 6
DECENT THRILLER DISAPONTING PAY-OFF. - 22/9/2011 8:51:24 PM   
lewisb548

The Veteran has a good story, Toby Kebell comes back from Afghanistan only to realise the place he once called home is overrun with gun-toting youths or as I like to call them, thieving little bastards.
Trying to cope with the harsh reality away from the warzone in Afhganistan, Kebell sets out to help an intelligence agency led by Brian Cox, too help the agency Kebell tries to bring about the end of a terrorist cell which is linked to the gangs in his estate, who are also linked to Brian Cox, well to put it fairly the Veteran was very slow at times and the action only really came into focus towards the end of the film and too be honest, who wrote this? Who would end a film like this with such an un-decent payoff. The last half an hour or so really packs a punch but the disapointing pay off to the veteran left me wanting more.
Kebell is on top form, but after RocknRolla I cant really take him seriously. But in all fairness Kebell puts on a powerful performance. The thing I liked about the Veteran was that it really gave an interesting perception of how reality really is.
In this film there are no good guys and bad guys, only the bad guys and the slightly nicer people, (kebell.)
Whats shocking about the Veteran is a sudden death scene of a random near the end, which had me almost in tears.
I enjoyed the Veteran but in all honesty, just watch this on TV, dont buy it, and I dont really recommend this.
7.5/10 Ok-ish thriller, but it was very slow at times, but Cox and Kebell were great.

Post #: 7
THREE STARS..... - 2/10/2011 10:32:36 PM   
chrisdagnall

UK SCAR HAS IT RIGHT. THE END SHOOTOUT IS DISAPPOINTING, AND IS LIKE SOMETHIN OUT OF A VIDEO GAME. WHY ARE THE STREETS COMPLETELY EMPTY AMIDST A HAIL OF GUNFIRE?! KEBBELL V GOOD THOUGH......

Post #: 8
RE: THREE STARS..... - 20/11/2011 6:46:02 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I saw it last night and I have to say I was disappointed. I was expecting a more action orientated film and I was pleasantly surprised to find it was more of a thriller as there's moments of suspense and it builds up quite slowly. Unfortunately it didn't quite come off and it felt a little disjointed towards the end. The film would have moments where things would be tense and you'd have a brief action scene maybe but then it would slow down again. I just felt they could've made a more leaner and taut film here. I agree with the other poster about the final firefight. It does look as though you're sitting through a training session for some gun enthusiasts and not an actual 'gunfight'.  Toby Kebbell is excellent and he's certainly an actor to watch. Whilst he plays a character who's clearly been traumatised by his experience in Afghanistan, which requires that stoic but pained look and therefore a character who doesn't say much. He expresses it in various ways that conveys his pain and anguish. It's a big shame he was let down by the material here. There are some really good ideas used in the film, and one of the best scenes is the one between Kebbell and Brian Cox about the state of world affairs, control/fear and simple market economics. The film makes for some rather bleak viewing and I think the ending spoiled it a little. I won't say more as I don't want to reveal any spoilers. Suffice to say they could've done it differently.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to chrisdagnall)
Post #: 9
RE: THREE STARS..... - 24/4/2012 8:09:05 AM   
mackey

Watched this last night. Solid thriller with a strong lead performance from Toby Kebbell. I thought it was going to more of a 'Harry Brown' type scenario so was nicely surprised when it cast it's net a bit wider. There are some interesting ideas running through the film, neatly summarised in a conversation between Brian Cox and Kebbell late in the film. However, I felt these themes could have been better explored during the course of the film so there was an opportunity missed there. The pace is also a tad inconsistent but I thought the final shooutout was excellent. Overall it's definitely worth a watch.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Veteran Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI