Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Horrible Bosses

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Horrible Bosses Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Horrible Bosses - 20/7/2011 3:29:57 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Thought as much! - 20/7/2011 3:29:57 PM   
Andybee76

And what I could not get is that if Jennifer Aniston was your boss and she wanted sex with you, how could you say no?? Unless you were gay!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Worth more than 2 stars. - 21/7/2011 7:54:45 AM   
Shamrat

Did you actually watch the film Helen? I was sitting in a packed cinema for the preview and everyone was in hysterics. As I was leaving all I heard were good comments about the film. Funniest film since The Hangover if not on par with it.

Post #: 3
Worth more than 2 stars. - 21/7/2011 7:54:47 AM   
Shamrat

Did you actually watch the film Helen? I was sitting in a packed cinema for the preview and everyone was in hysterics. As I was leaving all I heard were good comments about the film. Funniest film since The Hangover if not on par with it.

Post #: 4
Empire's funny bone! - 21/7/2011 9:51:16 AM   
Bobby TwoTimes

Oh there's a surprise......Empire only giving a comedy 2 stars! Can anyone name the last Comedy Empire gave 5 stars to?

Post #: 5
RE: Empire's funny bone! - 21/7/2011 10:31:03 AM   
nickyoung

WOW!! fantastic comedy movie... I really enjoyed it.

(in reply to Bobby TwoTimes)
Post #: 6
RE: Empire's funny bone! - 21/7/2011 10:41:17 AM   
floralane

I like this movie and Jennifer Aniston has done fantastic work...

(in reply to nickyoung)
Post #: 7
RE: Horrible Bosses - 21/7/2011 1:02:28 PM   
jace007

A horrible review it seems, but for me, if my manager was a sex-crazed nympho (who looked like Aniston), I would take a frigging bullet for that job! It's not the first time Helen has posted a review of a film she didn't like and at the end of the day, Rotten Tomatoes (73% was it?) and the cinema goers can't be wrong. I think Empire needs to cull its own staff of writers and bring in some fresh meat (who do I make my CV to?)

Post #: 8
RE: Horrible Bosses - 21/7/2011 2:35:48 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: jace007

A horrible review it seems, but for me, if my manager was a sex-crazed nympho (who looked like Aniston), I would take a frigging bullet for that job! It's not the first time Helen has posted a review of a film she didn't like and at the end of the day, Rotten Tomatoes (73% was it?) and the cinema goers can't be wrong. I think Empire needs to cull its own staff of writers and bring in some fresh meat (who do I make my CV to?)

So you want O'Hara to go with the critical consensus and not form her own opinion? What kind of a journalist would she be if she did that?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 9
RE: Horrible Bosses - 21/7/2011 2:38:33 PM   
BatFan

quote:

Or maybe we just leave things as they are and realise it's one persons opinion and occasionally opinions differ from the majority. As for who to post your review to, how about someone that's not Empire because your willing to give a film a good review just because a large number of people have aswell. Top class journalism mate, Top class. Hope you don't get cramp around all those bandwagons.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 10
RE: Horrible Bosses - 21/7/2011 2:48:09 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

It's not the first time Helen has posted a review of a film she didn't like and at the end of the day, Rotten Tomatoes (73% was it?) and the cinema goers can't be wrong.

Is that not the key point here: Helen just didn't happen to like it, hence her review? She's hardly going to write a glowing review for a film she disliked, is she?

This response to reviews seems to be more and more prevalent of late - "Empire gave a low rating but I disagree, therefore Empire are losing it / morons / need sacking...Everyone must agree with me!!". Case(s) in point recently: Scream 4 and Transformers 3 reviews. Reviewers are here to review the film, not print (post? the interwebs, eh?) an advert for it.

Anyway...I saw the film in a preview screening last week and quite liked it - I thought that, not only was it was very funny, but it seemed to get funnier as it progressed. It helped that it had comedic quality in Bateman, Aniston, Farrell and Spacey too, although I suppose that could have primed me before seeing it.

Having said all that, I can see where Helen's coming from re: the sudden decision to kill the bosses (although it didn't bother me at the time, and I can still let it slide), and the two main female characters both being nymphos - something that didn't occur to me until reading the review. That might not have been such a problem for the film had Aniston been the only one.

My main disappointment from the film came in the realisation that I wouldn't be able to experience the 'drag racing' line for the first time in the cinema, having heard it in the trailer. Comedies could quite possibly be the worst genre to create a trailer for, as you have to walk the tightrope of including good jokes in the trailer without ruining their impact in the film.

Assuming you're not just showing the entire film in the trailer anyway, of course.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 11
Okay... - 21/7/2011 3:24:02 PM   
willkillyoulast

To the person who said the following - "Oh there's a surprise......Empire only giving a comedy 2 stars! Can anyone name the last Comedy Empire gave 5 stars to?" - explain why it's so wrong that Empire has not awarded five stars to many comedies recently? If it's not a five star movie why the hell would they give it five stars? Hardly for cinsistency...if a movie ain't perfect or worthy of a status as a 'classic, then let it be. Some comedies these days just suck. No one's made a movie on par Clerks, or Spinal Tap, in a long time.

Post #: 12
RE: Okay... - 21/7/2011 6:36:14 PM   
CORLEONE

This has Aniston eating banana therefore 5 stars.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to willkillyoulast)
Post #: 13
Horrible Bosses, the best comedy for years - 21/7/2011 7:13:22 PM   
Najemikon

I really liked Horrible Bosses and I found it a refreshing change. Most comedies these days seem to create a situation and then milk it into submission. This takes a funny premise and manages to build a plot that largely avoids convenience or contrivance.

Helen, I find it telling you marked Farrell as the best boss. He's also the least likely, almost a cartoon character. What I liked about the film is that the characters seem somewhat possible. So no, they don't go for easy laughs or rely on slapstick for big laughs. Surely Jamie Foxx is funny for the irony of his character? And I loved the story of what he went to prison for, with a fairly obscure film reference!

I'm so fed up of Apatow oh-so-clever improv that just renders his films feeling slightly selfish; or Will Ferrell man-childs. Horrible Bosses doesn't rely on exaggeration and that makes it very watchable for me.

I can sort of see your point on Aniston and if the roles were reversed, except surely that could be spun into a bad taste comedy, like Very Bad Things. Surely it isn't what a character does, but how they end up that judges the films intentions?

A few weeks ago I saw The Hangover II. That's probably funnier, but it's also a dreadful film overall with a plot that unashamedly uses pathetic links between gags, not much better than "Oh I just remembered" and by the end, several characters had been undermined for a vomit inducing "finding myself" conclusion. Horrible Bosses commits to its ideas and sees them through, ending on a laugh out loud scene. Very long time since we've had something of this quality...

Post #: 14
Horrible Bosses, the best comedy for years - 21/7/2011 9:39:55 PM   
Najemikon

I really liked Horrible Bosses and I found it a refreshing change. Most comedies these days seem to create a situation and then milk it into submission. This takes a funny premise and manages to build a plot that largely avoids convenience or contrivance.

Helen, I find it telling you marked Farrell as the best boss. He's also the least likely, almost a cartoon character. What I liked about the film is that the characters seem somewhat possible. So no, they don't go for easy laughs or rely on slapstick for big laughs. Surely Jamie Foxx is funny for the irony of his character? And I loved the story of what he went to prison for, with a fairly obscure film reference!

I'm so fed up of Apatow oh-so-clever improv that just renders his films feeling slightly selfish; or Will Ferrell man-childs. Horrible Bosses doesn't rely on exaggeration and that makes it very watchable for me.

I can sort of see your point on Aniston and if the roles were reversed, except surely that could be spun into a bad taste comedy, like Very Bad Things. Surely it isn't what a character does, but how they end up that judges the films intentions?

A few weeks ago I saw The Hangover II. That's probably funnier, but it's also a dreadful film overall with a plot that unashamedly uses pathetic links between gags, not much better than "Oh I just remembered" and by the end, several characters had been undermined for a vomit inducing "finding myself" conclusion. Horrible Bosses commits to its ideas and sees them through, ending on a laugh out loud scene. Very long time since we've had something of this quality...

Post #: 15
jeeez - 22/7/2011 11:19:00 AM   
7eke

2 stars???...it's a film about giant robots hitting ea....oh wait

Post #: 16
If You Think This Is The Best Comedy In a Long Time You... - 22/7/2011 5:45:29 PM   
Bighousewill

Not really impressed didn't really make me laugh hard just the occasional "occasional background giggles" but I enjoyed more than I expected mainly for being a dark seedy kind of film and a bit fucked, Spacey is just pure evil. Not as good as Hangover or Hangover2 just and Bridesmaids is better than all three of those films.

< Message edited by Bighousewill -- 22/7/2011 5:48:43 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Horrible Bosses, the best comedy for years - 22/7/2011 5:50:39 PM   
Bighousewill

You Haven't seen Brides Maids then.

(in reply to Najemikon)
Post #: 18
funny film - 22/7/2011 6:43:59 PM   
jordieb

i always judge a film on whether it made me laugh, and horrible bosses had me laughing. I'd agree that the scenes with miss anniston were bordering more on uncomfortable than funny, and there were some parts that really didnt get going. This isn't anything special but the chemistry between sudeikis, bateman and day make it a very enjoyable film to watch.

Post #: 19
Comedy of the year - 22/7/2011 6:49:35 PM   
Y0gi

And yes I have seen Bridesmaids, it was average at best.
This however made me laugh all the way through it.
Everyone's opinion is different, but two stars seems a very harsh rating... I'd go out on a limb and say it's better than the laugh free Hall Pass.

Post #: 20
RE: Comedy of the year - 22/7/2011 6:59:22 PM   
jace007

OMG, I think some people need to stay off the caffeine for a second, hahaha! Yes Batfan and Monster Cat, you're right that Helen can't mould her reviews with the popular consensus; BUT my point was that movie goers are more inclined to ignore negative reviews like her's and judge for themselves. It's almost as if Empire's writers have enrolled  into the Jonathan Ross Film Review School for Idiots: Interview the lead actor/actress; then slag their film off to smithereens! That's just 2-faced journalism there, don't you think?

Mind you, Kim Newman gave The Fourth Kind 1 star and I thought he was being generous!

(in reply to Y0gi)
Post #: 21
RE: Comedy of the year - 22/7/2011 7:09:21 PM   
MonsterCat

Jace, I think you'll find that crack cocaine is my stimulant of choice.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 22
- 22/7/2011 8:54:49 PM   
skeletonjack

Very funny and MUCH better than the ridiculously overrated Bridesmaids.
4 Stars

Post #: 23
How the hell did Charlie Day get this gig? - 23/7/2011 12:43:02 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

...He was immensely irratating. Is his dad head of the studio or something? This film just needed one boss, Colin Farrell, and two friends, Jasons' Sudekis and Bateman, to provide a more focused storyline. A series of cameos from all the other actors would've been great.

Post #: 24
- 23/7/2011 8:00:36 PM   
down4orce

The appearance of Jamie Fox alone makes it a Four Star movie... then again the appearance of Charlie Day drops it to a Three.

Post #: 25
RE: - 24/7/2011 6:23:07 PM   
jace007

Very, very, very funny! In fact, horribly funny if you want to milk it from the Comedy of 2011! Ever since a clever promo campaign that I've been made aware of since March, I always had high hopes for this movie. And the price I paid for it? Aching ribs (some probably cracked from excessive laughter). Psst -the good news about that, is laughing your ass off isn't bad for your health. Even the UK Medical Council have vouched for that, fact.

The best way to describe this movie is Office Space meets Collateral! I can't commend the 3 male leads enough, just hilarious and their chemistry is spot-on and believable. Bateman's Nick has not had sex in 6 months, other than himself (a direct quote!) He always brings his A-game to anything and can't wait to see him in The Change-Up, where he'll be playing against type. Jason Sudeikis is finally getting the recognition he deserves and his Kurt just can't keep it in his pants! Thanks to his natural charm, even his chat-up lines seem to work (yeah, I've noted them down as well!) And Charlie Day, whose rendition of the Ting Tings "Say My Name" will have you laughing out loud even minutes after you've heard it. The film is vulgar, sure. Is that a bad thing? Only if you're a nun. Or have cobwebs where the sun doesn't shine. And only the 3 leads could convince you, which one of them is likely to be raped in prison.

Some people have said Jennifer Aniston's role trivialises bullying in the workplace. Well, if my boss was this hot and subjected me to what she puts Dale through, hallelujah! Besides, if it was acceptable for the world's most famous soft drink to run an ad campaign where bored female office workers leered at the "11:30 Diet Coke Man", how is it any more different, if a hot dentist wants to rape her male colleague? Granted she's a blackmailer, but even I look fwd to my dental appointments, where Dr Sharma rests my head between her pillows and says "You're doing really well, Mr King". Mind you, there is a truly memorable scene, where Jennifer wears an overall that will linger in my mind forever......sigh. Drifting again, dammit! It's a black comedy for a reason people, it's not a tool on how to behave in the workplace; it's device is simply to make you chuckle. And boy, did we all LOL!

Funnier than The Hangover 2? By a long shot! Funnier than Bridesmaids? Yes! Even the end credits of Horrible Bosses are funnier than a lot of so-called recent comedy outings. Will I see this again? Sure, I have my Cineworld pass again, so why not? Will I buy this on Blu-ray? Hell yeah! How else am I going freeze-frame Jen eating phallic foods?

(in reply to down4orce)
Post #: 26
Very good! - 24/7/2011 6:25:00 PM   
J_BUltimatum

Very funny, however not enough of said bosses in the film. Jamie Foxx does an outstanding job in his bit part also. It's a nice welcome to have something else to watch in cinemas at the moment than the ridiculously over rated potter!

Post #: 27
- 24/7/2011 11:53:03 PM   
gurnblenston

Considering that this film got the same rating as Yogi Bear, i think it's a bit harsh. spacey delicious. farrell splendid but not in it enough. aniston kinda freaky. jasons x2 and charlie better than are given credit for. funny movie. not a 2 star.

Post #: 28
RE: - 25/7/2011 11:23:24 AM   
brucejackiejet

I'd probably agree with Helen's review for the most part. Some interesting comments on Jennifer Anniston's character. I didn't find it uncomfortable so much as just completely unrealistic. Sure, the whole premise is over the top but I could accept that Spacey and Farrell were so horrible that you might resort to murder. The idea though that your stupidly hot boss wants sex with you and because you have a girlfriend you'd rather kill her? On top of that we're supposed to buy that she would obsess over Charlie Day, owner of the most irritating voice I've heard in a long time.

Although I think Anniston gave a good performance for me it would have been a hell of a lot funnier had it been someone ugly (or at least average looking) who was abusing him. In that instance I might have actually had some sympathy.  

Second thing - were we really supposed to buy that Jason Sudekis was some kind of ladies man? Really? Again, while I can accept the basic premise of the film this was asking to suspend my disbelief just a tad too much.

Other than that it was ok, more smile inducing then anything resembling an actual laugh.

(in reply to gurnblenston)
Post #: 29
2 Stars Really? - 25/7/2011 1:47:48 PM   
gavc1978

After seeing Horrible Bosses over the weekend I really enjoyed this. No, it's not the best comedy I have seen and it wasn't the worst, it did make me laugh and the cast worked well together, especially the main 3 guys. And to give it the same rating as Zookeeper, REALLY????? Now I havent seen Zookeeper, but its a Happy Madison production starring Kevin Smith remaking a cross over between Night at the Museum and Dr Dolttle!.... I think that says it all! Horrible Bosses was way better that the pile of shit Bridesmaids that got 4 stars on here?!!? WTF!?!?
Starting not to bother Empires lame reviews these days!!
Horrible Bosses - 3.5 out of 5

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Horrible Bosses Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI