Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rules Of Engagement - 12/7/2011 2:33:08 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Rules of acting, as shown here. - 12/7/2011 2:33:08 PM   
filmfanatic123

When I read the review, I must admit, I was shocked.
This film is, and I don't mean to sound like a demented fanboy, brilliant.
Sam Jackson is fantastic- yes he may be retreading old ground, but that old ground is quality. He may be a little bit shouty, but wouldn't you be? He's on trial for Christ's sake!!!
Jones, on the other hand, nails the cynicism needed to pull of a Vietnam vet. He's done it before-sensationally-and he does it again here.
The plot may lag in the middle, as Friedkin struggles to balance the searing action at the start with the subtle courtroom scenes.
However, the film, in this reviewer's opinion, is up there with A Few Good Men, and any other quality military courtroom drama.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Rules of acting, as shown here. - 25/7/2011 5:33:06 AM   
fairy

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmfanatic123

When I read the review, I must admit, I was shocked.
This film is, and I don't mean to sound like a demented fanboy, brilliant.
Sam Jackson is fantastic- yes he may be retreading old ground, but that old ground is quality. He may be a little bit shouty, but wouldn't you be? He's on trial for Christ's sake!!!
Jones, on the other hand, nails the cynicism needed to pull of a Vietnam vet. He's done it before-sensationally-and he does it again here.
The plot may lag in the middle, as Friedkin struggles to balance the searing action at the start with the subtle courtroom scenes.
However, the film, in this reviewer's opinion, is up there with A Few Good Men, and any other quality military courtroom drama.

Then I think I need to watch it.

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 3
RE: Rules of acting, as shown here. - 15/5/2013 10:25:23 AM   
Mr Gittes

A decent movie. Which, naturally, is a lot less than you'd expect from a William Friedkin, Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L Jackson team-up. However, despite its cliches and sickeningly patriotic moments, the searing courtroom scenes are where the movie really comes to life - in terms of direction and performances (although Jones is fantastic throughout) - and hence they make Rules Of Engagement a movie worth watching.

(in reply to fairy)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rules Of Engagement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI