Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Top 650 Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/8/2011 10:02:13 PM   
rawlinson

That's basically the cleanest gif you could find from the film, right? 

Edit - You forgot to mention because not many people saw it that must mean the consensus is it's shit.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 151
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/8/2011 10:12:14 PM   
FritzlFan

I didn't actually know how graphic it is. I just searched on Google Images...

I now have it downloading.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 14/8/2011 10:13:03 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 152
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/8/2011 10:28:21 PM   
rawlinson

The Marquis de Sade has a penis called Colin. 

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 153
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/8/2011 10:58:29 PM   
chris_scott01

I really liked Balthasar when I saw it....then I saw Bresson's other films and I felt dirty for liking it.

Is this the only Bresson film in your list?

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 154
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/8/2011 11:19:51 PM   
rawlinson

Why dirty? Are you sure you didn't mix up Balthazar with that donkey video Dev' made on his visit to Mexico?

It's not, btw.

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 155
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/8/2011 11:35:07 PM   
chris_scott01

You mean this?

Lemme guess, Dev's attempt to make a Balthasar sequel that's an allegory for the devil?

The other one better not be Pickpocket...

It's Pickpocket isn't it?

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 156
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/8/2011 11:44:37 PM   
rawlinson

What's wrong with Pickpocket?

Post #: 157
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/8/2011 11:53:42 PM   
chris_scott01

What's right with it?  The plank of wood that plays the lead is the first thing wrong, then there's what looks very much like reading lines off the floor and then there's the Pickpocket attempts themselves which if taken seriously are an absolute insult.  This is why I have a theory Bresson is a comedian.  If that proves true I'll watch it again and have a good chuckle.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 158
RE: My Top 650 Films - 15/8/2011 3:41:43 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

What's right with it?  The plank of wood that plays the lead is the first thing wrong,

Isn't that kind of Bresson's 'fault' rather than the actor's?

Also, I think I've seen 4 (maybe 5) Bressons but this isn't one of them. Trial of Joan of Arc is my favourite. I have this one downloaded though so I'll get to watching it soon/eventually.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 159
RE: My Top 650 Films - 15/8/2011 4:28:24 PM   
Rhubarb

Pickpocket is amazing. It made me paranoid in crowds for months.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 160
RE: My Top 650 Films - 15/8/2011 8:37:45 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

What's right with it?  The plank of wood that plays the lead is the first thing wrong,

Isn't that kind of Bresson's 'fault' rather than the actor's?

Absolutely.  Sorry should have worded that clearer, I simply mean the 'character' in the lead created with that specific intention is the first reason.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 161
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/8/2011 5:01:06 PM   
rawlinson

If Pickpocket wasn't already in my list, this conversation might just have won it a place. 

Post #: 162
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/8/2011 5:03:20 PM   
rawlinson

The Awful Truth
(1937; Leo McCarey)

Cast: Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Ralph Bellamy, Cecil Cunningham, Asta

Spoilers ahead

Jerry and Lucy Warriner are a wealthy socialite couple who find their marriage destroyed because of a lack of trust. Jerry faked a trip to Florida in order to play poker and Lucy spent the night with her music teacher when his car broke down. Their mutual distrust leads them to file for divorce, with the only point of contention being who gets custody of their dog, Mr. Smith. After custody is awarded to Lucy, Jerry gets visitation rights, something that keeps Jerry in her life and able to interfere with her plans. Lucy's Aunt Patsy tries to arrange a relationship with their neighbour, Dan, a wealthy Southern oil-man who lives with his domineering mother. When Lucy and Dan become an item, Jerry does his hardest to break up the relationship.

The Awful Truth is one of the quintessential screwball comedies, helped by the fact that it stars the King of Screwball, Cary Grant. Irene Dunne is a perfect foil for Grant, one of the most talented comedic actresses of her time, she matches Grant every step of the way and you actually believe this is a couple deeply in love. The film obviously adores its sophisticated leads, to the extent that the mocking of Bellamy's rural oil man almost feels a little mean. If the leads were anyone other than Grant and Dunne then you might actually dislike the favouritism the film shows to them. Luckily, they are Grant and Dunne, so we're with them every step of the way.

There's little actual plot to the film so everything depends on the chemistry of the cast, as much as we may love the leads, respect also needs to be paid to Bellamy. His good-natured hick may be the fall-guy of the film, and he's certainly not shown much sympathy in the script, so it's a tribute to Bellamy's skill that we actually end up liking Dan, even if he is standing in the way of true love. Cunningham is also a blast as Aunt Patsy, but the acting honours surely belong with Asta. He's possibly the most talented star in the golden age of Hollywood and he steals every one of his scenes.

I've seen some harsh criticism thrown at The Awful Truth in the past, mainly because the film ends with Jerry and Lucy reuniting, something some critics claim is a condemnation of divorce. Nonsense. It's a claim that Jerry and Lucy are meant for each other and nothing more. The Awful Truth is a superb, smart and sophisticated screwball and it's one of the best comedies ever made.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 163
RE: My Top 650 Films - 18/8/2011 12:15:50 AM   
siegfried

Wonderful choice. One of my favourite screwball comedies. I've just ordered it from DVD Planet - it's not available here - and hopefully it will arrive soon. Looking forward to enjoying it all over again.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 164
RE: My Top 650 Films - 18/8/2011 10:30:55 AM   
jiraffejustin

I actually just watched The Awful Truth for the first time a couple days ago. Great choice. I really enjoy your lists, keep up the good work.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 165
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/8/2011 12:06:53 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

Wonderful choice. One of my favourite screwball comedies. I've just ordered it from DVD Planet - it's not available here - and hopefully it will arrive soon. Looking forward to enjoying it all over again.

Glad you like it. Whereabouts are you from?

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

I actually just watched The Awful Truth for the first time a couple days ago. Great choice. I really enjoy your lists, keep up the good work.

Thank you.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 166
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/8/2011 11:41:33 AM   
shool

Not seen any of about the last 10.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 167
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/8/2011 12:33:07 PM   
rawlinson

Only just noticed this, sorry, was preoccupied by the 1000 list. Any catch your interest?

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 168
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/8/2011 12:37:05 PM   
rawlinson

Badlands
(1973; Terrence Malick)

Cast: Martin Sheen, Sissy Spacek, Warren Oates

Spoilers ahead.

Any film that helped inspire Springsteen's Nebraska had to have a place on my list. It's lucky that it's also a masterpiece and I don't have to spend this review defending it on the basis that Springsteen likes it. Taking its inspiration from the infamous Starkweather-Fugate murder spree, Malick's first film has rightly become regarded as one of the finest debuts in American cinema, held in the same high regard as Citizen Kane and Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Gloom Beam. Badlands stars Martin Sheen as Kit, a garbage collector in 1950s South Dakota. He uses his James Dean-ish good looks to win over 15 year old Holly (Spacek). When her father (Warren Oates) doesn't approve of the relationship, Kit kills him and the two run away together, starting a murderous spree across Dakota. Malick took the lovers on a crime spree subgenre and made it less about love and crime than about boredom and delusion. There's gunfire and deaths, but no great shootouts and while the murders barely phase the two leads, they're presented to the audience as ugly, brutal, and often senseless.

Holly and Kit create illusions of themselves as great romantic outlaws, but both characters are children really. The baton twirling Holly is just 15 and obsessed with romance and movie magazines, basing her ideas of love and the world on the image they portray. Kit spends his time (when not killing people) burying makeshift time capsules, shooting holes in footballs and playing with a Dictaphone. He's always aware of the importance of his reputation, and is never happier than in the end when striking the good natured rebel pose for the police. The two even live in a fort when hiding out in the woods. But they also have the amoral nature of childhood, where cruelty is easy and, for these two, so is death. Holly even expresses a desire to see Kit drown, just so she can watch him. The images they've seen dictate their life. Even the relationship seems more out of the desire for the illusion of a great love rather than something genuine. They don't even seem that motivated by sex. The main thing they have in common are the delusions they share.

As always, Malick seems interested in the contrast between violent acts and nature, with the murders seeming even smaller and more callous when set against the vast beauty of nature, and small moments such as Kit standing on and then aimlessly kicking at a dead cow setting up these characters as transgressors against the natural order. Malick doesn't wag a disapproving finger at the couple, but I think it's made clear these are bored and empty kids, not heroic figures. Art doesn't need to whack you over the head and scream in your face that violence is bad in order to get its point across, if they did, all films would be like Funny Games and then cinema would disappear up its own arse, with the last image being Haneke's face calling everyone else an idiot for not being as intelligent as him.

With both Sheen and Spacek turning in some of the best work of their careers and a  great cameo by that God among men, Warren Oates, some of the most visually breathtaking film-making I've ever had the pleasure to see and that score, Badlands ranks among the greatest films ever made. There's just one small problem. As much as I like Martin Sheen, there's no way in hell he could take down Warren Oates.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 31/8/2011 12:39:08 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 169
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/8/2011 12:39:22 PM   
shool

Badlands
Arsenic and old lace
Assault on Precinct 13
Ashes of time

All seem like films I would like or worth checking out.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 170
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/8/2011 12:48:20 PM   
rawlinson

Swords is going to love you forever for including Badlands. 

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 171
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/8/2011 12:51:25 PM   
rawlinson

Bad Luck Blackie
(1949; Tex Avery)

Spoilers ahead

A cute little all white kitten is being bullied by a sadistic bulldog. The bulldog does everything it can think of make to make life miserable for the kitten. The kitten meets Blackie, a black cat who offers his services in helping deal with the bulldog. He gives the kitten a whistle and tells him that anytime he needs him he can just blow the whistle. Every time the dog turns nasty, the kitten blows the whistle and Blackie crosses the dog's path, causing a larger and larger series of objects to fall on the dog's head, starting with a flowerpot and ending with a battleship. The entire short is just variations of this procedure, following a rule that you can see in other Avery shorts like King-Size Canary, repeat the action but increase the scale each time and it just gets funnier and funnier. Despite how often the word anarchy is used when discussing Avery, it's an incredibly logical cartoon. It may not make any realistic sense, but it makes sense by the logic of the cartoon. Although it has some stiff competition, it's my favourite Avery and seven of the funniest minutes of animation ever created.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 172
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/8/2011 1:55:06 PM   
rawlinson

Baron Prasil
(1961; Karel Zeman)

Cast: Milos Kopecky, Rudolf Jelinek, Jana Brejchova

Munchausen is a story that's had many adaptations, the most famous is probably Terry Gilliam's visually magnificent but somewhat lacking 1980s offering. The most notorious is the admittedly entertaining one produced by the Nazis in the 40s. Zeman's is possibly the best.  The Czech animator is responsible for some of the most visually beautiful and innovative fantasy films in the history of the medium, which makes his unknown status even more of a disappointment.

An astronaut lands on the moon only to discover Baron Munchausen is already there, the Baron thinks he's met a moon man and takes him to Earth to introduce him to the planet and to show him the wonders the life. Together they travel the world, having various adventures ranging from battles to a visit to the bottom of the ocean, and rescuing a Princess who both men fall in love with. The film is basically a series of bizarre adventures, each one told with tongue firmly in cheek. 

It's fitting that Gilliam would later make his own version of Munchausen as Zeman was obviously a huge influence on his early work. Zeman was a director who delighted in special effects and actually knew how to use them to serve his story, here he takes Gustave Dore's classic illustrations and uses them as backdrops, with the actors superimposed against them, to create a visual wonderland and a one-of-a-kind fantasy. Anchored by a delightful performance from Milos Kopecky as the Baron, Prasil is a funny and charming adventure and a film that deserves to be more widely acclaimed.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 173
RE: My Top 650 Films - 1/9/2011 1:57:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Bad Luck Blackie is awesome.

I've only seen one Zeman film, the short Inspiration. It was lovely.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 174
RE: My Top 650 Films - 1/9/2011 4:37:04 AM   
rawlinson

No love for Badlands? Did you watch the Zeman on my rec'? I was pimping it a lot last year.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 175
RE: My Top 650 Films - 1/9/2011 5:36:08 AM   
rawlinson

Barry Lyndon
(1975; Stanley Kubrick)

Cast: Ryan O'Neal, Marisa Berenson, Michael Hordern, Patrick Magee

Spoilers ahead

Stanley Kubrick was a genius. Barry Lyndon was one of his finest films. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just plain wrong. The film features narration by Michael Hordern, if you're not already convinced of its genius then you're beyond all hope. As for plot, it tells the life and adventures of Redmond Barry, a young Irishman in the 18th Century. Following a squabble over the heart of his cousin, and a duel that forces him to flee his hometown,  Barry enlists in the army and finds himself through a series of misadventures trapped in Europe. Eventually Barry befriends the Chevalier de Balibari, takes to gambling, and marries into a noble family, but even wealthy marriage can't bring a happy ending for Barry.

Ryan O'Neal plays Lyndon, and that's the film's biggest problem. It would have been nice if Kubrick had hired someone at least remotely capable of expressing emotions. He simply doesn't have the range that Lyndon requires. It's been remarked in the past how much of an improvement it would have been if Leonard Rossiter had been cast as Lyndon instead of as the duelling rival, Captain Quin, and I'd tend to agree. But oddly considering it's the lead role, that one piece of miscasting doesn't destroy the film. It often feels that Barry is a victim of circumstance, a passive participant in his own life, and for that reason it seems somehow fitting that everything else in the film overpowers O'Neal. It helps that there's a wonderful supporting cast, including Murray Melvin, Andre Morell and Patrick Magee and they are all (especially Rossiter and Marisa Berenson) excellent in their roles. It's difficult to express just how overwhelmingly beautiful a film Lyndon is. Kubrick's films are always a feast for the eyes, but this may be his strongest visual work. There's a painterly elegance to the cinematography that's rarely seen, and it deservedly won the Oscar for John Alcott. Its glacial pace may put off many, but for those willing to try it with an open mind, Lyndon gives endless rewards.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 176
RE: My Top 650 Films - 1/9/2011 5:48:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

No love for Badlands? Did you watch the Zeman on my rec'? I was pimping it a lot last year.

Badlands is great too. Yep, you did mention Inspiration to me last year sometime.

Barry Lyndon's great.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 177
RE: My Top 650 Films - 1/9/2011 6:37:55 AM   
rawlinson

I think you'd probably like Prasil as well.

Post #: 178
RE: My Top 650 Films - 1/9/2011 7:36:12 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Woohoo! It's on youtube!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 179
RE: My Top 650 Films - 1/9/2011 9:59:21 AM   
rawlinson

I hope more people take the time to check them out. If we ever do a year 2 of the visual list he might score a few places then.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI