Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Top 650 Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 11:16:08 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

Are you sure 650 gives you enough scope?

Honestly, it really really doesn't.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Life is Beautiful = shite

This

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I think you have me, Gimli and Dev in your club for this one.

I'm sure that's made TRM feel better.

Anyway EVERYONE should like the next entry, I mean EVERYONE. I can't think of anyone who dislikes it because it's just that good and if any of you do dislike it then you're just weird.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 151
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 11:23:11 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Anyway EVERYONE should like the next entry, I mean EVERYONE. I can't think of anyone who dislikes it because it's just that good and if any of you do dislike it then you're just weird.

I'll be amazed if I've seen it. I've not even heard of most of these films, and I havent seen any so far.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 152
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:28:22 PM   
rawlinson

Next one's really famous. Even the Academy liked it. 

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 153
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:32:10 PM   
rawlinson

The Apartment
(1960; Billy Wilder)

Cast: Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurray, Ray Walston

Spoilers ahead

C.C. Baxter (Lemmon) is a lonely man working for Consolidated Life Insurance in their office in New York. Baxter has a bachelor apartment that his superiors commander in order to conduct affairs. He's unhappy with the situation but knows it will benefit his career. He's also in unrequited love with lift operator Fran Kubelik (Shirley MacLaine). Sheldrake (Fred MacMurray), the personnel director suspects something is wrong when he sees Baxter's glowing promotion reports and he blackmails his way to get use of Baxter's apartment as well. Excited about his promotion, he asks out Fran, what he doesn't know is that she's Sheldrake's mistress. She's been trying to break off the affair but Sheldrake knows exactly how to manipulate her. Baxter finds her in his apartment, she's been left there by Sheldrake on Christmas Eve and she's attempt suicide by taking an overdose of sleeping pills. Baxter and his neighbour save her life and she stays with Baxter a few days to recuperate. During this time both of them realise exactly how much their job has cost them.

For a film often referred to as a romantic comedy, it has some dark themes - infidelity and suicide among them. In fact it's more the kind of melancholy satire you'd expect from Wilder. There's also a deep distrust of business practices running through the film. Capitalism is equated with amorality and doing whatever necessary to get ahead. If you want to succeed in this world you have to kiss your conscience goodbye. There's also the strong argument that too much devotion to work kills your real life, Baxter may be climbing the ladder at work, but his private life is one of loneliness and misery.

The idea for this melancholy satire came to Wilder while watching Brief Encounter, proving the film did have some use, Wilder decided to approach the story from the point of view of a minor character, a man who lends the leads his house so the leads can conduct their affair. In putting the character part centre stage, Wilder gave Jack Lemmon the opportunity to give one of his finest performances. Baxter could easily have been unsympathetic. He allows his ambition to dictate his morality and he could be seen as little more than an opportunist (and he is engaging in a form of prostitution). But Lemmon's performance allows you to see the loneliness, the isolation, the sweetness, the good nature and the geeky charm of Baxter. Lemmon embodies the everyman in American cinema and that enables us to see depths in Baxter that other actors might not have reached.

He's matched by a surprisingly strong MacLaine, surprising if you're only used to the kind of overblown performance she'd turn in for Terms of Endearment. Here she gives an appealing performance as a strong but vulnerable girl who knows that Sheldrake is trouble but still manages to find it difficult to resist him. Speaking of Sheldrake, MacMurray does some of his best work here. He's a complete sleazeball, one made slightly less than loathsome by MacMurray's charm.

There's been a lot of discussion of the ending over the years with many feeling that the relationship is doomed to failure, I'm not sure I agree. Wilder wasn't one for cheap sentiment so if he gave a somewhat happy ending then usually I'd be inclined to believe in it. I don't think Fran is with him out of pity, as some reviewers have claimed, I think she sees him as the closest thing to an innocent in that company, and that's just what she needs. What can't be disputed is that The Apartment has a closing line to rival the best in cinema, and it gives us one of cinema's most perfect endings.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 154
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:34:51 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, everyone DOES like this.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 155
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:35:55 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Best on the list so far!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 156
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:37:05 PM   
shool

YES!  I've seen a film on Rawls list.

Great film too.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 157
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:37:09 PM   
MonsterCat

The Apartment is another unwatched DVD that's sitting on my computer desk.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 158
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:37:22 PM   
Rhubarb

Amazing film, obviously.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 159
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:55:41 PM   
rawlinson

Monstercat, watch it! Tonight! 

It's nice to have a film everyone likes on the list.

I'm now dreading the contribution of Mr. Harsh-Pants.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 160
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 2:47:11 PM   
FritzlFan

I've never seen it. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 161
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 4:52:27 PM   
Gram123

quote:

That me, is it? Hmmm?! Well, boy?

I rated it a solid 7/10, but Miles got his knickers in a twizzy cos I rated Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs at 7.5.
The two films weren't in competition, I just enjoyed the latter a little bit more at the time...

That's still a good positive score, though, innit?
For me?

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 162
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 6:16:06 PM   
TRM

Easily my favourite so far 

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 163
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 8:26:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

I've never seen it. 

Isn't it on Youtube where you could watch it and join the gang and love it lots and lots?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

quote:

That me, is it? Hmmm?! Well, boy?

I rated it a solid 7/10, but Miles got his knickers in a twizzy cos I rated Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs at 7.5.
The two films weren't in competition, I just enjoyed the latter a little bit more at the time...

That's still a good positive score, though, innit?
For me?

For you, that's an incredible score.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

Easily my favourite so far 

Possibly mine too. This or Aguirre. Although I like the next film even more.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 164
RE: My Top 650 Films - 21/7/2011 3:57:31 PM   
rawlinson

Apocalypse Now
(1979; Francis Ford Coppola)

Cast: Martin Sheen, Robert Duvall, Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper

Spoilers ahead

Apocalypse Now is an adaptation of Conrad's Heart of Darkness, updated to the Vietnam War. Captain Benjamin Willard (Sheen) is sent into the jungle to assassinate the rogue, insane Colonel Kurtz (Brando). Willard is a troubled special ops vet. Willard has just been returned to Saigon and is losing himself in drink in order to adjust. He's approached by two intelligence officers (one a young Harrison Ford) with a special assignment, go up a Cambodian river to find and kill Kurtz. Kurtz was a decorated officer who has gone native and now commands his own troops deep in the jungle. Willard joins an eccentric Patrol Boat crew for his journey, making a rendezvous with the clearly insane surfing fanatic Colonel Kilgore (Duvall) along the way. The army tolerates the insane as long as they're on their side and killing the right people. In order to help clear the way for the patrol, Kilgore leads a helicopter assault on an enemy beach. The battle sequence, soundtracked to Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries has rightly become one of the most memorable in cinema. As the journey progresses, Willard becomes more obsessed with Kurtz and alienates himself from the boat's crew. Despite the deaths of patrol members, Willard manages to convince the increasingly hostile crew to continue its mission, leading him to his final confrontation with Kurtz.

The film became notorious because of its troubled production, There were rumours that Sheen had a heart-attack, torrential rain nearly closed down the shoot for good, sets were destroyed, the golden-boy Coppola had gone over the edge. But the end result was everything it should have been. It was self-indulgent, breathtaking, glorious, imaginative, insane, an incredible statement on war from a member of a generation who'd just been protesting one. It wasn't a war in the sense that journalism was presenting it, or even other cinema. Apocalypse Now doesn't even need to be about Vietnam, it could be about any fucked-up war, but stories of the atrocities committed in Vietnam by the people who thought they were the good guys means that Vietnam suits it best. The film works better as a statement on human insanity. The way mankind brings so much chaos to the world, the way we can wipe out boundary lines when there's nobody around to stop us, and the way we sometimes don't even allow an internal censor to moderate our own behaviour.

The acting is mostly over-the-top. Dennis Hopper's photojournalist seems on the verge of a nervous breakdown, Duvall's Kilgore is already there and it seems he's just a step or two away from opening fire on everyone around him. Brando's portrayal of Kurtz is insane and indulgent, but it works in the context of the film and may be the finest performance he ever gave, especially when explaining his philosophy to Willard. It's only Martin Sheen who seems to underplay, and it seems a perfect decision to have Willard as the passive observer, slowly being tainted by everything he sees around him.

Apocalypse Now is the kind of film that's unlikely to get made today, an era where cinematic spectacle is defined as the confused mess that Michael Bay throws at the screen. But a film like Apocalypse Now really does create its own environment and drag the viewer into it. Coppola may take us to a dark and hostile world, but it's the kind of unique, brave and brutal film-making that cinema needs.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 165
RE: My Top 650 Films - 21/7/2011 4:01:50 PM   
matty_b

Awesome choice.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 166
RE: My Top 650 Films - 21/7/2011 4:06:35 PM   
shool

Yes two in a row.

Awesome film (not sure which cut I saw but i think it was theatrical, on film 4)

8/10      (drops a point or so for the Brando mumbling going on a bit too long). It paints the horrors of war in a convincing way though.

< Message edited by shool -- 21/7/2011 4:08:40 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 167
RE: My Top 650 Films - 21/7/2011 4:15:32 PM   
MovieAddict247

Still haven't seen The Apartment or Apocalypse Now...

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 168
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 12:09:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Redux is better

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 169
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 12:18:27 AM   
swordsandsandals

My vote was for the Apartment but Rhubarb vetoed it. True Story.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 170
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 1:37:20 AM   
Piles

I've seen half of these so far. You're getting populist in your old age rawls.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 171
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 2:45:37 AM   
rawlinson

I've always been populist in my world.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 172
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 2:46:51 AM   
rawlinson

I'm actually surprised at how many people haven't seen The Apartment. I hope you all love it. 

And yes, Apocalypse Now is awesome.

Piles, btw, Kaurismaki?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 173
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 10:10:47 AM   
Piles

quote:

Piles, btw, Kaurismaki?

There names sound similar and I corrected myself directly after so leave me alone.

Devi seems to think I mistook Finland for part of Iran, though.

< Message edited by Piles -- 22/7/2011 10:11:01 AM >

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 174
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 11:12:47 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

Piles, btw, Kaurismaki?

There names sound similar and I corrected myself directly after so leave me alone.

Devi seems to think I mistook Finland for part of Iran, though.

What's most shaming for you is that in Dev's mind you and Miles are now equals.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 175
RE: My Top 650 Films - 23/7/2011 5:03:28 AM   
Deviation

I'm secretly working on PigeonArmyWatch, the Wahhabi equivalent of the Empire Clique.

Though now it's no longer a secret.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 176
RE: My Top 650 Films - 24/7/2011 3:47:58 AM   
rawlinson

The Apu Trilogy
(1955 - 1959; Satyajit Ray)

Cast: Soumitra Chatterjee, Karuna Bannerjee, Runki Banerjee, Pinaki Sen Gupta, Sharmila Tagore

Spoilers ahead

The Apu trilogy, the simple tale of the journey from birth to adulthood of the titular character, is possibly Satyajit Ray's greatest gift to cinema. It's a series that not only helped introduce Indian cinema to the west, but it was deeply influential on generations of directors, not just for its cinematic qualities but for its great humanity. The trilogy follows the life of Apu, from his poverty-stricken childhood through to his adult life as a family man and writer. It's one of art's great humanistic efforts, establishing connections to characters without sentimentality and combining poetry with realism to great effect.

Pather Panchali

Often regarded as one of the finest directorial debuts in cinema (some even call it the greatest), Pather Panchali (Song of the Little Road) was based on the book by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay and is the first film in what would become the Apu trilogy. The film opens with a young girl, Durga (Runki Banerjee), stealing fruit from her neighbour's orchard. The neighbours spot the theft and Durga's mother, Sarbajaya (Karuna Bannerjee), overhears them talking about Durga and how she's been badly raised. Sarbajaya blames her husband's elderly aunt Indir (Chunibala Devi), thinking Durga steals for her because there's not enough money to buy food for everyone. Whenever Sarbajaya gets upset with Indir, Indir leaves the house and goes to stay with other relatives. The additional mouth to feed, following the birth of Sarbajaya's second child, Apu, makes a difficult family life even harder. Sarbajaya's husband Hari (Kanu Banerjee) has moved the family into their ancestral home in rural Bengal, but they are living in poverty. Making matters worse is his easily manipulated nature and the fact that he is more interested in scholarly matters than in getting the wages he's due. Hari is forced to spend more time away from home, and then, during a tropical storm, tragedy strikes.

Inspired to take up a career in film-making by the friendship and encouragement of Jean Renoir and his own love of Italian neorealism (Especially Bicycle Thieves), Ray joins that small group of directors who created a masterpiece on their first attempt. Not everyone agreed, Truffaut sneered at it and some were even silly enough to essentially accuse Ray of poverty porn. There may be a nostalgic side to the film, but it's never sentimental, and harsh reality is always intruding. The film is episodic in feel, finding its greatness in small moments, like Durga and Apu's trek to catch a glimpse of a passing train, playing during a storm, or possibly its finest moments, the slow reveal of a sleeping Apu.

Ray uses his mostly amateur cast to great effect, capturing performances that are not just realistic, but also compassionate and soulful. The film itself was obviously made with great passion and affection for the characters, but it's also never afraid to show them in a bad light, to show them as human. Its quiet style and slow pacing may put off a lot of viewers, but it really is a masterpiece.

Aparajito

Following the tragedy at the end of Pather Panchali, the family have left their home and moved to an apartment in Banaras. Hari now works as a priest, performing ceremonies at the Ganges. Apu (Pinaki Sen Gupta) is lost, there are no schools nearby and he spends his days wandering the streets. Soon Hari falls ill, and tragedy again strikes the family. Sarbajaya moves to a family house in the country for Apu to continue his religious education, but Apu finds himself more interested in enrolling in a school that teaches western literature and science. Apu has a thirst for knowledge and he excels in his studies, but his progress in life demands a break from the past.

Aparajito loses the looser, more episodic structure of Pather Panchali, instead giving us a tighter narrative that focuses more on Apu and his journey to manhood and away from the influences of his youth. The loss of his father has a profound influence on the family. It means a move back to the country and Apu being exposed to western influences for the first time. So the death of the family here is both literal and metaphorical. Ray approaches both Apu and Sarbajaya without judgement, realising that the changes in both their lives are due to influences beyond the control of either of them.

Some of the most profoundly affecting moments in Ray's career come in Aparajito, from Sarbajaya's heartbreak at Apu leaving for university to the death of Hari. It's a fitting mid-point to the trilogy, and a great film in its own right.

The World of Apu

The final part of the trilogy follows Apu (Soumitra Chatterjee) in his adult life. Now unemployed, he tries to find work while also writing a novel based on his life. He decides to join a friend Pulu to the wedding of Pulu's cousin Aparna (Sharmila Tagore). The groom is mentally ill and the wedding is to be cancelled, but it's local belief that if the bride isn't married at the set hour, she will be single all her life. Apu is talked into marrying her. Despite the circumstances of their marriage, the two fall in love and Aparna becomes pregnant, but she dies in childbirth. Apu blames the child and leaves him with his grandparents while Apu travels India. Eventually Apu is convinced of the error of his ways, but can he get his son to accept him as a father?

A moving film with much to say about grief, about healing, and about facing up to your responsibilities. The World of Apu may not have a thrill-packed narrative, or (on the face of it) present you with a unique story, but it's a poignant and sympathetic story about life, and the troubles and pleasures that life can hold for us all. Ray was a man with a great understanding of the human spirit and a great compassion for his characters and that shines through in all three of these films. You can imagine these films in the hands of another director and think about how sickly sweet it could all have become, how the desire would be there to make scenes and emotions as big as possible. Ray makes everything quiet, and he finds the beauty and the truth in those quiet moments. He was one of the greats.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 177
RE: My Top 650 Films - 24/7/2011 5:42:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not seen any of these, although I think I might have Pather Panchali taped from about 5 years ago. I've only seen two Ray films, Devi and Days and Nights in The Forest, and quite liked them both.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 178
RE: My Top 650 Films - 24/7/2011 8:53:03 PM   
rawlinson

The Arcane Enchanter
(1996; Pupi Avati)

Cast: Carlo Cecchi, Stefano Dionisi, Arnaldo Ninchi, Andrea Scorzoni

Spoilers ahead

A late masterpiece from Pupi Avati that was allegedly based on an ancient Italian legend, also seems to be one of the director's most little seen films. Set in 18th century Italy, a seminary student, Giacomo, flees his school after being accused of seducing a girl and then forcing her to have an abortion. Looking to lay low for a while, he signs a blood oath with a mysterious woman and then he moves to the countryside where he takes a job working at a remote castle, helping a priest who was excommunicated due to his interest in black magic. His work for the 'Arcane Enchanter' will soon see Giacomo dragged deeper into darkness and danger.

The Arcane Enchanter is a slow-burning gothic horror that in many ways reminds me of the BBC's Ghost Story for Christmas series. It's not something that's scary in the jump-shock sense, but it is a chilling and eerie film, one that creeps under your skin and stays there.  It's an old-fashioned fairy-tale horror, packed with exquisitely shot landscapes, gothic buildings and a crumbling castle.  It combines the atmosphere of Italian masters like Bava and Argento with an old-fashioned approach to telling a spooky tale of M.R. James or E.F. Benson.  The slow pacing and subtle nature of the film probably means it's not a film for all audiences, you have to be willing to invest in the story to best appreciate it. There's also a distinct lack of sympathetic characters in the film, everyone is corrupt in some way, but look beyond the repellent lead characters and allow the atmosphere and the story to slowly seduce you and you'll find much to appreciate here. It's certainly one of the most atmospheric horror films of the last twenty years or so. Guillermo del Toro is a big fan of the film, it's an obvious influence on his own work, and he's called it one of the greatest horror films ever made. I think if the film received better distribution in the UK and the US, The Arcane Enchanter would be regarded as a horror masterpiece. Certainly in the UK, where it should appeal to fans of old-fashioned ghost stories. 

Post #: 179
RE: My Top 650 Films - 24/7/2011 8:56:04 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Have you seen Regalo di Natale? I watched it a week ago or so and it was my first Avati. Can't wait to see the one that even elab likes
Also, I love that poster for Alice in the Cities, and it's a fantastic film. Still only seen Pather Panchali, but aim to finish the Apu Trilogy soon. PP is a masterpiece. Breathless is great, but I don't think it'll ever become a true favourite, I've only seen 7 Godards and I already prefer a few of them over it. Aguirre is great, of course, I should finally see Fitzcarraldo one of these days. Haven't seen anything else.
Gump is indeed better than Zelig, I should watch Being There soon.
What was the film from the top 300 you dropped? Or is that a BIG SPOILER?!
EDIT: Missed the last page when back-reading. The Apartment is a hyper-masterpiece, Apocalypse Now is also a masterpiece. These days I think I prefer Rumble Fish to all other Coppolas, though.

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 24/7/2011 9:05:59 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI