Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Top 650 Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 6:08:50 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yep!

I'll warn you when Gump is about to appear in my list. Won't be for a while yet

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 121
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 6:19:02 AM   
rawlinson

I'll have my venom stored and ready. 

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 122
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:32:49 AM   
rawlinson

Andrei Rublev
(1966; Andrei Tarkovsky)

Cast: Anatoli Solonitsyn, Ivan Lapikov, Nikolai Grinko, Nikolay Burlyaev

Spoilers ahead

Regarded by many as Tarkovsky's finest work, Andrei Rublev is a mysterious and enigmatic tale of a minor Russian artist. Tarkovsky imagines him as a Christ-like figure, taking on the suffering of Russia through a vow of silence. Tarkovsky gives us the life of Rublev through several imagined episodes. We first see him along with two other monks, wandering and looking for work. They take shelter from the rain in a peasant hut, a jester entertains everyone gathered there, but starts mocking the monks, until soldiers come and arrest him in a brutal fashion.

We then follow Rublev as he becomes more acclaimed for his art, but increasingly shaken by the violence and conflict in the world around him. When he is forced to kill to prevent rape, he loses his spirituality and can no longer find beauty in the world. He takes a vow of silence because the horrors he witnesses take away his will to speak or create. The film explores Russia in the 1400s with Rublev mainly as an onlooker. Tarkovsky is only loosely interested in the actual life of Rublev, he's more interested in using him as an observer of medieval Russia.

The film's standout sequence is the last of the episodes, a group of soldiers search for a master bell-maker to cast a great bell, only to find out from his son that he's died. The boy lies and tells the men he has his father's skills, and through the act of a miracle is able to cast the giant bell. Rublev is so moved by the boy's simple faith that he finds redemption and his own faith is restored, enabling him to break his silence and create once again.

There's a mystical undercurrent to the film that underlines Rublev's search for spirituality. He's desperate for inner peace but is plagued by uncertainty, just as the world around him is plagued by turmoil. Rublev could easily have gotten lost in a wave of cliches about spirituality, but Tarkovsky tackles the intellect as well as the heart and gives us a dynamic and beautiful piece of cinema. Rublev is one of cinema's true works of art and one of the best films ever created about faith. It's also one of the great films about the nature and importance of art and creation, and also the effect of the environment on creativity. Tarkovsky also displays a great talent for world-building, convincingly creating a medieval world and making it feel vibrant and alive. It's the epic, and the biopic, as it should be done, where heart isn't overwhelmed by scale, and the soul of the subject is more important than the literal truth.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 19/7/2011 11:36:38 AM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 123
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:47:02 AM   
matty_b

OK, trying to read that review with George Michael hugging himself to the side is very...odd.

Why?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 124
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:52:47 AM   
rawlinson

I'm guessing PA is abusing his mod powers again.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 125
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:56:13 AM   
Pigeon Army

^Fucking commoner can't respect artistic perfection have to go chaaaange it

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

OK, trying to read that review with George Michael hugging himself to the side is very...odd.

Why?

Just because.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 19/7/2011 11:58:31 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 126
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:57:07 AM   
rawlinson

I'm not sure why my av' got changed, Matty's the one who claimed he fucked your mother.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 127
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 12:03:02 PM   
Pigeon Army

It's more fun when you whine about it.

Plus, despite matty's flaws (he hates 3-Iron), I like him and can have some good banter with him.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 128
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 12:14:11 PM   
rawlinson

Anger Magick Cycle
(1947 - 1980; Kenneth Anger)

Cast: Kenneth Anger, Yvonne Marquis, Bruce Byron, Marianne Faithfull

Spoilers ahead

Possibly the most accessible work produced by any of the American underground film-makers, Anger's films celebrate anarchy, sexuality, masochism, music and jaw-dropping visuals. I should probably say that these films won't be for everyone. Some will dismiss them with the dread word 'pretentious', others will be put off by the extreme sexuality and mysticism. The Magick in the title is a reference to Anger's idol, legendary Satanist Aleister Crowley. Crowley's influence, along with Anger's other obsessions like Cocteau, old Hollywood and homosexuality runs through these short films. These films aren't a series of sequels, but the thematic connections are so strong that I class them as one entry.

Fireworks

Anger himself stars here as a lonely, masochistic boy. Inspired by a dream about zoot suit riots, where soldiers attacked Spanish youths, Anger shows the kind of honesty and surrealism that we can expect from all his films. Shot in his parent's house, Anger plays a young man who goes on a late night stroll and propositions a sailor, in response he receives a beating, then the sailor's friends arrive. Anger here focuses on what it meant to be different in the 1940s. It's an explosive film, pre-dating even Genet's Un Chant D'amour. The experimental nature of the film owes much to early Bunuel and Cocteau. It's stark and brutal, but at the same time he lets gay sensuality flow through the film. Even this early on in his career Anger was already using homoerotic iconography take centre stage in his films, something he would continue to do throughout his career.

Eaux d'artifice

A female dwarf walks through a water garden full of statues and cascading fountains, and that's about it. It's probably Anger's least typical film. But here Anger focuses on the elements, light playing off water and stone until the woman becomes one with the environment. It works best as a poem on film, and it's probably Anger's most gentle work.

Puce Moment

Puce Moment acts as a homage to the 1920s Hollywood that Anger grew up a part of. Hollywood Babylon made it clear he viewed it as a slightly tawdry place. But here it seems magical. The star is a rack of gowns worn by silent stars all being sorted through by the lead actress before settling on one to wear. It may sound dull, but if you're looking for narrative, what are you doing watching Anger?

Rabbits' Moon

Rabbit's Moon is a little fairytale. Pierrot pines for the moon, so Harlequin uses a magic lantern to attract the glow of the moon and present a figure of Columbine to ensnare him. This beautiful little film uses mimes as actors. It's artificial but extraordinary looking, an obvious influence on Maddin, and it owes a huge debt to Cocteau. Apart from the doo-wop soundtrack that is.

Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome

Pleasure Dome was inspired by a Halloween party thrown by Anger where people turned up in mythological costumes. Anger recreated this on film by gathering fellow Bohemians and dressing them in elaborate costumes, each representing someone from Greek or Egyptian mythology, or just the magick of Crowley. A difficult film unless you're well versed in mythology and early cinema, the film revels in psychedelia and the occult. It's a stunning experience.

Scorpio Rising

Anger's most notorious film, and his attempt to capture the death wish in American culture on film. I wouldn't recommend every film in this series to people, I love them all, but I realise how divisive they can be, but Scorpio Rising needs to be seen by absolutely everyone. The film mixes Anger's twin interests of sex and magic. Scorpio Rising is almost documentary like to begin with. It follows a gang of bikers, as they work on their bikes before dressing in leather for a gay orgy, the desecration of a church altar and a fatal bike race. Scorpio Rising actually deals identity, it gives us a blur of images - Dean, Brando, skulls, swastikas, it plays with the power of these images and how they are used to identify a lifestyle. Scorpio Rising is a visionary film, it's legendary rock 'n' roll soundtrack led to the widespread practise of using popular music to completely soundtrack a film, something soon followed by the likes of Scorsese. You need to see this film if only to appreciate how influential it is. Hate it if you want, just don't overlook it.

Kustom Kar Kommandoes

A guy working on his car lovingly caresses it in this exploration of the erotic charge between men and cars. Not much more to it than that. It could probably be regarded as throwaway if it wasn't so oddly spellbinding.

Invocation Of My Demon Brother

The most blatant depiction of Crowleyan magical rituals to date. It was also Anger's most abstract and demonic film to this point. A series of shots of Satanic rituals, Hells Angels and The Rolling Stones lead up to a union that brings about the birth of a God of light. Jagger himself composed the soundtrack to this jarring little film, the images collide off each other instead of blending together, leaving the viewer unsettled and disorientated.

Lucifer Rising

Lucifer Rising is a brother film to Invocation. Anger mixes experimental and traditional cinema techniques to create this eerie and compelling little film.If rumours are to be believed then this is the second version of the film. The first one being lost when it was buried in the desert by Bobby Beausoleil (Yes, that one) The film is set in ancient Egypt and once again uses actors dressed as mythological figures take part in strange ritualistic ceremonies, this time in order to bring about the rise of a demon lover. This hypnotic film is Anger's most elaborate film and possibly ties with Scorpio Rising as his most notorious.

What all of these films have in common is that they are non-narrative mood pieces. They bear the influence of early Hollywood as much as experimental cinema, and you can sense the love/hate relationship that Anger had with the life he was raised as part of. They're shocking, disturbing, but playful and oddly beautiful. Anger was an esoteric filmmaker, using film to explore his own sexuality, religion, his views on the relationship between man and machine and his interest in the occult. Whatever your take on the films themselves, and if we're being honest, unless you have some sympathy for underground cinema you're probably going to hate them, Anger was a unique and incredibly personal director whose work is worthy of recognition alongside the more accepted greats.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 129
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 1:32:38 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I'm not sure why my av' got changed, Matty's the one who claimed he fucked your mother.

No claiming about it. I totally did.

quote:

despite matty's flaws (he hates 3-Iron), I like him and can have some good banter with him.

Aw, shucks...

I don't hate 3 Iron to be fair - I just didn't think it was amazing [/derailedthread]

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 130
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 1:56:34 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Which of those Anger films would you say are the best, Rawls? I think most of those are on Youtube, so which should I spend my time on first?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 131
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 2:05:42 PM   
impqueen

quote:

Andrei Rublev
(1966; Andrei Tarkovsky)

Cast: Anatoli Solonitsyn, Ivan Lapikov, Nikolai Grinko, Nikolay Burlyaev

Spoilers ahead

Regarded by many as Tarkovsky's finest work, Andrei Rublev is a mysterious and enigmatic tale of a minor Russian artist. Tarkovsky imagines him as a Christ-like figure, taking on the suffering of Russia through a vow of silence. Tarkovsky gives us the life of Rublev through several imagined episodes. We first see him along with two other monks, wandering and looking for work. They take shelter from the rain in a peasant hut, a jester entertains everyone gathered there, but starts mocking the monks, until soldiers come and arrest him in a brutal fashion.

We then follow Rublev as he becomes more acclaimed for his art, but increasingly shaken by the violence and conflict in the world around him. When he is forced to kill to prevent rape, he loses his spirituality and can no longer find beauty in the world. He takes a vow of silence because the horrors he witnesses take away his will to speak or create. The film explores Russia in the 1400s with Rublev mainly as an onlooker. Tarkovsky is only loosely interested in the actual life of Rublev, he's more interested in using him as an observer of medieval Russia.

The film's standout sequence is the last of the episodes, a group of soldiers search for a master bell-maker to cast a great bell, only to find out from his son that he's died. The boy lies and tells the men he has his father's skills, and through the act of a miracle is able to cast the giant bell. Rublev is so moved by the boy's simple faith that he finds redemption and his own faith is restored, enabling him to break his silence and create once again.

There's a mystical undercurrent to the film that underlines Rublev's search for spirituality. He's desperate for inner peace but is plagued by uncertainty, just as the world around him is plagued by turmoil. Rublev could easily have gotten lost in a wave of cliches about spirituality, but Tarkovsky tackles the intellect as well as the heart and gives us a dynamic and beautiful piece of cinema. Rublev is one of cinema's true works of art and one of the best films ever created about faith. It's also one of the great films about the nature and importance of art and creation, and also the effect of the environment on creativity. Tarkovsky also displays a great talent for world-building, convincingly creating a medieval world and making it feel vibrant and alive. It's the epic, and the biopic, as it should be done, where heart isn't overwhelmed by scale, and the soul of the subject is more important than the literal truth.

I love, love, love this whole sequence.

One of the greatest films of all time.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 132
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 2:09:30 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123
I'm getting on this fairly early, cos I've actually seen 3 of the 4 films in the list so far, and I know with a rawls list, that kind of ratio ain't gonna last...

Thus he spake, and yea, it came to pass. Verily.

I haven't seen any of the last 7.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 133
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 2:27:33 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

No claiming about it. I totally did.

Is that bragging material?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Which of those Anger films would you say are the best, Rawls? I think most of those are on Youtube, so which should I spend my time on first?

Do Scorpio Rising, Pleasure Dome and Rabbit's Moon first.

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I love, love, love this whole sequence.

One of the greatest films of all time.

I honestly can't remember if it's come up on your list, but have you ever seen Marketa Lazarova?

quote:

For some reason I thought you were a big Tarkovsky fan.

Saying that, you probably really hate him now.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 134
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 4:15:38 PM   
Gram123

quote:

quote:

Nope. You must have me confused with another.
I've only seen Solaris, and I was fairly bored by that.
The shots I've seen of Stalker tickle the interest, though...

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 19/7/2011 4:16:08 PM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 135
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 10:31:47 PM   
FritzlFan

RUBLEV.

ALICE IN THE CITIES.

AGUIRRE.

Excellent choices with those three

Amer looks interesting as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 136
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 10:36:40 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nope. You must have me confused with another.
I've only seen Solaris, and I was fairly bored by that.
The shots I've seen of Stalker tickle the interest, though...

Stalker is one of the best film EVAH!

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

RUBLEV.

ALICE IN THE CITIES.

AGUIRRE.

Excellent choices with those three

Amer looks interesting as well.

So 3/12, my hit-rate isn't great with this list.

Amer is real love it or hate it territory. Definitely worth seeing.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 137
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 10:52:45 PM   
FritzlFan

4/12! I thought I'd posted before about A Bout de Souffle. Edit - I DID.

Yeah, I'll try and check out Amer.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 19/7/2011 10:54:27 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 138
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 10:55:29 PM   
rawlinson

1/3 of the list is actually quite good for one of my lists. But more Wenders, more Herzog, more Tarkovsky and more JLG to come.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 139
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:01:38 PM   
TRM

2/12 for me (Aguire and A Bout De Souffle) and I dont like either. Good start 

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 140
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:02:47 PM   
rawlinson

You don't like Aguirre and A bout de souffle? I thought you were cool. 

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 141
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:04:48 PM   
TRM

Easy mistake to make. 

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 142
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:05:40 PM   
rawlinson

Yeah, just remembered you like Life Is Beautiful. 

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 143
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:12:18 PM   
TRM

Do you have any other films to use against me for liking? It always seems to be that one, so compared to the rest of the forum I think im probably doing alright 

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 144
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:13:49 PM   
rawlinson

I think I'm just astounded that I've finally found that film's fan. 

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 145
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:16:02 PM   
TRM

There must be more of us? Surely his acceptance speech managed to win some people over? Just thinking about his reaction makes me smile 

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 146
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:21:46 PM   
rawlinson

I wish Tom Waits had gutted him on the set of Down by Law. 

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 147
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 11:47:15 PM   
Piles

Are you sure 650 gives you enough scope?

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 148
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 12:12:03 AM   
Rinc

Life is Beautiful = shite

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 149
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 8:05:02 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

There must be more of us? Surely his acceptance speech managed to win some people over? Just thinking about his reaction makes me smile 

I think you have me, Gimli and Dev in your club for this one.

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI