Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Top 650 Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 8:05:02 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

There must be more of us? Surely his acceptance speech managed to win some people over? Just thinking about his reaction makes me smile 

I think you have me, Gimli and Dev in your club for this one.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 91
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 11:23:11 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Anyway EVERYONE should like the next entry, I mean EVERYONE. I can't think of anyone who dislikes it because it's just that good and if any of you do dislike it then you're just weird.

I'll be amazed if I've seen it. I've not even heard of most of these films, and I havent seen any so far.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"
Post #: 92
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:34:51 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, everyone DOES like this.

quote:

Post #: 93
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:35:55 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Best on the list so far!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 94
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:37:05 PM   
shool

YES!  I've seen a film on Rawls list.

Great film too.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 95
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:37:09 PM   
MonsterCat

The Apartment is another unwatched DVD that's sitting on my computer desk.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 96
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 1:37:22 PM   
Rhubarb

Amazing film, obviously.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 97
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 2:47:11 PM   
FritzlFan

I've never seen it. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

Post #: 98
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 4:52:27 PM   
Gram123

quote:

I'm now dreading the contribution of Mr. Harsh-Pants.

That me, is it? Hmmm?! Well, boy?

I rated it a solid 7/10, but Miles got his knickers in a twizzy cos I rated Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs at 7.5.
The two films weren't in competition, I just enjoyed the latter a little bit more at the time...

That's still a good positive score, though, innit?
For me?

Gram123's Top Songs Project
Post #: 99
RE: My Top 650 Films - 20/7/2011 6:16:06 PM   
TRM

Easily my favourite so far 

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 100
RE: My Top 650 Films - 21/7/2011 4:01:50 PM   
matty_b

Awesome choice.

quote:

Post #: 101
RE: My Top 650 Films - 21/7/2011 4:06:35 PM   
shool

Yes two in a row.

Awesome film (not sure which cut I saw but i think it was theatrical, on film 4)

8/10      (drops a point or so for the Brando mumbling going on a bit too long). It paints the horrors of war in a convincing way though.

< Message edited by shool -- 21/7/2011 4:08:40 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 102
RE: My Top 650 Films - 21/7/2011 4:15:32 PM   
MovieAddict247

Still haven't seen The Apartment or Apocalypse Now...

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 103
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 12:09:52 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Redux is better

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!
Post #: 104
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 12:18:27 AM   
swordsandsandals

My vote was for the Apartment but Rhubarb vetoed it. True Story.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 105
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 1:37:20 AM   
Piles

I've seen half of these so far. You're getting populist in your old age rawls.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 106
RE: My Top 650 Films - 22/7/2011 10:10:47 AM   
Piles

quote:

Piles, btw, Kaurismaki?

There names sound similar and I corrected myself directly after so leave me alone.

Devi seems to think I mistook Finland for part of Iran, though.

< Message edited by Piles -- 22/7/2011 10:11:01 AM >

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films
Post #: 107
RE: My Top 650 Films - 23/7/2011 5:03:28 AM   
Deviation

I'm secretly working on PigeonArmyWatch, the Wahhabi equivalent of the Empire Clique.

Though now it's no longer a secret.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates
Post #: 108
RE: My Top 650 Films - 24/7/2011 5:42:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not seen any of these, although I think I might have Pather Panchali taped from about 5 years ago. I've only seen two Ray films, Devi and Days and Nights in The Forest, and quite liked them both.

Much more better!
Post #: 109
RE: My Top 650 Films - 24/7/2011 8:53:03 PM   
rawlinson

The Arcane Enchanter
(1996; Pupi Avati)

Cast: Carlo Cecchi, Stefano Dionisi, Arnaldo Ninchi, Andrea Scorzoni

Spoilers ahead

A late masterpiece from Pupi Avati that was allegedly based on an ancient Italian legend, also seems to be one of the director's most little seen films. Set in 18th century Italy, a seminary student, Giacomo, flees his school after being accused of seducing a girl and then forcing her to have an abortion. Looking to lay low for a while, he signs a blood oath with a mysterious woman and then he moves to the countryside where he takes a job working at a remote castle, helping a priest who was excommunicated due to his interest in black magic. His work for the 'Arcane Enchanter' will soon see Giacomo dragged deeper into darkness and danger.

The Arcane Enchanter is a slow-burning gothic horror that in many ways reminds me of the BBC's Ghost Story for Christmas series. It's not something that's scary in the jump-shock sense, but it is a chilling and eerie film, one that creeps under your skin and stays there.  It's an old-fashioned fairy-tale horror, packed with exquisitely shot landscapes, gothic buildings and a crumbling castle.  It combines the atmosphere of Italian masters like Bava and Argento with an old-fashioned approach to telling a spooky tale of M.R. James or E.F. Benson.  The slow pacing and subtle nature of the film probably means it's not a film for all audiences, you have to be willing to invest in the story to best appreciate it. There's also a distinct lack of sympathetic characters in the film, everyone is corrupt in some way, but look beyond the repellent lead characters and allow the atmosphere and the story to slowly seduce you and you'll find much to appreciate here. It's certainly one of the most atmospheric horror films of the last twenty years or so. Guillermo del Toro is a big fan of the film, it's an obvious influence on his own work, and he's called it one of the greatest horror films ever made. I think if the film received better distribution in the UK and the US, The Arcane Enchanter would be regarded as a horror masterpiece. Certainly in the UK, where it should appeal to fans of old-fashioned ghost stories. 

Post #: 110
RE: My Top 650 Films - 24/7/2011 8:56:04 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Have you seen Regalo di Natale? I watched it a week ago or so and it was my first Avati. Can't wait to see the one that even elab likes
Also, I love that poster for Alice in the Cities, and it's a fantastic film. Still only seen Pather Panchali, but aim to finish the Apu Trilogy soon. PP is a masterpiece. Breathless is great, but I don't think it'll ever become a true favourite, I've only seen 7 Godards and I already prefer a few of them over it. Aguirre is great, of course, I should finally see Fitzcarraldo one of these days. Haven't seen anything else.
Gump is indeed better than Zelig, I should watch Being There soon.
What was the film from the top 300 you dropped? Or is that a BIG SPOILER?!
EDIT: Missed the last page when back-reading. The Apartment is a hyper-masterpiece, Apocalypse Now is also a masterpiece. These days I think I prefer Rumble Fish to all other Coppolas, though.

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 24/7/2011 9:05:59 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 111
RE: My Top 650 Films - 24/7/2011 10:47:12 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Have you seen Regalo di Natale? I watched it a week ago or so and it was my first Avati. Can't wait to see the one that even elab likes
Also, I love that poster for Alice in the Cities, and it's a fantastic film. Still only seen Pather Panchali, but aim to finish the Apu Trilogy soon. PP is a masterpiece. Breathless is great, but I don't think it'll ever become a true favourite, I've only seen 7 Godards and I already prefer a few of them over it. Aguirre is great, of course, I should finally see Fitzcarraldo one of these days. Haven't seen anything else.
Gump is indeed better than Zelig, I should watch Being There soon.
What was the film from the top 300 you dropped? Or is that a BIG SPOILER?!
EDIT: Missed the last page when back-reading. The Apartment is a hyper-masterpiece, Apocalypse Now is also a masterpiece. These days I think I prefer Rumble Fish to all other Coppolas, though.

Sugar rush? I actually haven't seen that Avati, I know where I can get a copy, but haven't got round to it as yet. What did you think of it? The card game at Christmas aspect makes me think of The Seafarer.

More than one dropped out of the 300. And yes, Rumble Fish is an excellent film.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 112
RE: My Top 650 Films - 25/7/2011 5:03:09 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

You know me well
It's a solid film, with good performances and great flashbacks. The poker game makes it look like the key to winning is simply getting good cards, though, which kinda undermines it, and the first half hour is too expository.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 113
RE: My Top 650 Films - 25/7/2011 5:29:35 PM   
rawlinson

I'll get round to it at some point, along with that football film he made. Not a fan of the sport but it's supposed to be quite good.

Post #: 114
RE: My Top 650 Films - 30/7/2011 11:51:35 PM   
rawlinson

Archangel
(1990; Guy Maddin)

Cast: Kyle McCulloch, Kathy Marykuca, Michael Gotti, Ari Cohen

Spoilers ahead

It's 1919, but in Archangel, a small Russian port, nobody has bothered to tell the people that the war is over. Into this hazy community comes Lt. John Boles (Kyle McCulloch), a one-legged Canadian soldier who is mourning his lost love, Iris. He meets Veronkha, the double of Iris and the woman Boles comes to believe is Iris. Veronkha's husband, Philbin, has amnesia and wakes every day thinking it is his wedding night. Boles falls in love with Veronkha while living with a family whose child begins to hero worship him at the expense of his true father. In this snowy little town, everyone is cursed with the lack of some kind of knowledge that can provide happiness. Amnesia drifts in with the winter winds and everyone has something or someone important they forget.

Maddin's love of silent cinema is once again on display, from the use of inter-titles to the influence of early propaganda and German expressionism on the visuals. As memorable as Maddin's devotion to the silent aesthetic makes his films, I think Archangel's greatest strength is the way the foggy imagery reflects the hazy mindset of the town of Archangel and its inhabitants. Maddin takes warfare and romantic melodrama and filters it through a melancholy dream. It's an unsettling effect and Archangel, like all of Maddin's films, can be difficult to get to grips with. Archangel takes us to a place where a child is weaned off breastfeeding by the mother painting a monstrous face on her breast, the town re-enacts war plays before sending people off to battle, rabbits falls from the skies into the trenches and German soldiers feast on the throats of the dead. It's a unique vision of the world and one I find enthralling.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 17/8/2011 5:04:44 PM >

Post #: 115
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/7/2011 12:05:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not seen that one, but since watching The Saddest Music In The World I've been curious to see some of his other films. The three that appears to exist on UK DVD have been Lovefilmed. The rest are on my Amazon wishlist.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 116
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/7/2011 12:13:28 AM   
rawlinson

A lot of his short films turn up on Youtube. There's a R1 box set where you can get four or five of the films for about $40

Post #: 117
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/7/2011 12:17:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I currently have 176 films on my youtube watch list. I guess I'll have a few more in a couple of minutes

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 118
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/7/2011 12:24:10 AM   
rawlinson

Watch Heart of the World first. 

Post #: 119
RE: My Top 650 Films - 31/7/2011 12:49:54 AM   
rawlinson

L'armee des ombres
(1969; Jean-Pierre Melville)

Cast: Lino Ventura, Paul Meurisse, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Simone Signoret

Spoilers ahead

Adapted from Joseph Kessel's book about his experiences in the French Resistance, the film follows a group of Resistance fighters as they try to evade capture while killing traitors and working against the Nazi occupation. Lino Ventura plays Philippe Gerbier, the head of a Resistance network, who has been arrested by police and handed over to the Gestapo. During his transfer for interrogation, he kills a guards and makes a daring escape back to his network. The second-in-command, Felix Lepercq has discovered the informant is a young agent, with the help of other agents, they take the traitor to a safe house and execute him by strangulation. An old friend of Lepercq, Jean-Francois, is initiated into the resistance and we also meet Mathilde (Signoret) one of the most important members of the Resistance. Jean-Francois's brother, Luc Jardie, is actually the head of all Resistance networks, Jardie and Gerbier travel together to London to gain additional support for the Resistance and Jardie is decorated for his efforts. While Gerbier is in London, Lepercq is captured by the Gestapo and Mathilde has taken leadership of the Resistance. Mathilde and Jean-Francois come up with a daring plan to free Lepercq, involving Jean-Francois himself being arrested and tortured, in the hope of getting close to Lepercq. Despite their best efforts, the escape plan fails. Meanwhile Gerbier himself is captured again and forced to take part in a sadistic SS amusement where he and other prisoners have to race while a firing squad tries to gun them down. Thanks to Mathilde's efforts, Gerbier manages to escape again. Gerbier hides in a mountain cabin while things cool down, only to be visited by Luc Jardie who comes to inform him that Mathilde has been captured. The Gestapo have threatened Mathilde to tell them all she knows or her daughter will be taken to a military brothel, leaving Gerbier and Jardie to make a difficult decision.

Army of Shadows is a greatly important film. The film deals with trust, betrayal, the effects of war on the individual, and maybe most important of all, loyalty. In many ways it feels like typical Melville territory. The unemotional and stoic quality he brought to his crime films is evident here and there's the fatalistic knowledge that doom is waiting for them all, and the film could easily feel like another film noir if we weren't so aware of the painful real-life circumstances behind the film. Melville himself was part of the Resistance, so he knows the territory better than anyone, and the Resistance is depicted here as a self-sacrificing and brave group, but Melville never gives in to the possibility of making the film nostalgic or overly heroic. They're shown to be rather ordinary people pushed into brutal acts by extraordinary circumstance. The possibility of torture and death is ever present. The film disturbs us because the acts the Resistance themselves commit aren't sanitized. In one scene they strangle an informer for fear of a gunshot disturbing the neighbours. The Resistance barely seem to have time to fight the Nazis because they're always being captured or being rescued from capture. This is a haunting and devastating work that brings home the horror of the Nazi occupation more than a thousand Schindler's List ever could, because here every victim is depicted as a rounded human, rather than a thousand faceless extras.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 31/7/2011 12:50:12 AM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI