Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Top 650 Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Top 650 Films - 13/7/2011 2:01:05 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Another film I've never heard of. Nice review though.

It's worth checking out. The segments are so well done, and so different from each other, that you should find something to enjoy.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 91
RE: My Top 650 Films - 13/7/2011 6:15:13 PM   
swordsandsandals

Aguirre is obviously amaze.

You may also be surprised to know I really liked Alice in the Cities. One I want to watch again, can see it going up to 5 stars.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 92
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/7/2011 3:02:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Almost Human sounds interesting.

I've been wanting to see Allegro Non Troppo for ages now. I think all the segments are on Youtube, I'll have to give it a go.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 93
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/7/2011 6:13:52 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

You may also be surprised to know I really liked Alice in the Cities. One I want to watch again, can see it going up to 5 stars.

I remember you mentioning it. Did you ever see any other Wenders?

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 94
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/7/2011 6:15:31 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Almost Human sounds interesting.

I've been wanting to see Allegro Non Troppo for ages now. I think all the segments are on Youtube, I'll have to give it a go.

Almost Human is actually out on R2 dvd next week, from those wonderful people at Shameless. They've somehow managed to use the shot of the topless women hanging from the chandelier as the cover art.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 95
RE: My Top 650 Films - 14/7/2011 4:33:28 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I remember you mentioning it. Did you ever see any other Wenders?

Nah, but I've been wanting to see Der Himmel Uber Berlin for years (I use the german title cause I can't remember the english one).
German cinema > French cinema [/sweepingstatement]

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 96
RE: My Top 650 Films - 15/7/2011 3:30:41 PM   
rawlinson

It's a gorgeous film. And Nick Cave's in it. You should give Paris, Texas a try.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 97
RE: My Top 650 Films - 15/7/2011 3:35:56 PM   
rawlinson

Alphaville
(1965; Jean-luc Godard)

Cast: Eddie Constantine, Anna Karina, Akim Tamirof, Howard Vernon

Spoilers ahead

Lemmy Caution (Constantine) arrives in Alphaville from the Outland, posing as journalist Ivan Johnson. He checks into the Alphaville hotel where he's provided with a bible (a dictionary) and a seductress who is willing to have sex with him. One rejected woman and one fight with a mysterious stranger later, Caution has begun his descent into the nightmarish, Orwellian world of Alphaville. Caution is really a secret agent from the Outland and he's entered Alphaville on a series of missions, he has to find missing agent Henry Dickson (Akim Tamiroff), track down Professor von Braun (Howard Vernon), the creator of Alpha 60, the super-computer that controls Alphaville, and destroy the city. Alpha 60 is ever present throughout the world, its distorted voice acting as narrator, voice of warning, and providing information to the people who live there.  Alpha 60 has also tried to remove all emotion or individual thought from Alphaville, executing those who act in an illogical fashion and even removing words from the language, such as replacing 'why' with 'because'. As a guide through the world, he enlists the help of Natacha von Braun (Karina), daughter of the Professor.

For what is, on the surface of it, a detective story, Caution does very little detecting. Instead he engages more in a battle of wills with Alphaville, his emotions and unstable moods against its cold logic. It's the literal battle of humanity, and what keeps us human, against the machines. Despite the grander themes, it's one of Godard's most purely fun outings, as he crosses film noir with science-fiction twenty years before Scott did it with Blade Runner. And Godard does it better. One of the most impressive aspects of the film is the way that Godard and cinematographer Raoul Coutard turn 60s Paris into the totalitarian Alphaville without the use of special sets. Partly this is thanks to doing most of the filming indoors, something that also helps give the city a bleak and claustrophobic feel. Visually, it's one of the most overpoweringly visually cold films I've ever seen. The beating heart of the film is Constantine, turning Lemmy Caution into an iconic figure, with his noir hero clothing, craggy face, Ford Galaxy, Instamatic Camera and take no prisoners attitude. Anna Karina also does brilliant work as the film's femme fatale figure. Quite simply, it's one of the great noir films, it's one of the great sci-fi films, it's just one of the great films.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 98
RE: My Top 650 Films - 15/7/2011 3:56:43 PM   
rawlinson

Amarcord
(1973; Federico Fellini)

Cast: Bruno Zanin, Pupella Maggio, Armando Brancia, Ciccio Ingrassia

Spoilers ahead

This bildungsroman is a very personal offering for the director.  Amarcord combines raucous comedy with a more subtle poignancy to create one of cinema's most nostalgic and heartfelt tributes to youth and memory. Set in a small seaside town in Fascist Italy, the location is a fictionalised version of Fellini's hometown, Amarcord follows a year in the life of the people of the town, more specifically, the Biondi family.

Our lead is Titta, son of the family and alter-ego for Fellini, a mischievous and sex starved smart alec. It follows him, his family, and the rest of the townsfolk through the seasons of a year told through hometown events. There's no great storyline, instead we have a series of small vignettes, set-pieces that seem like fragments of memories about religion, culture and society in this small seaside town.

If Amarcord seems like an odd choice for my favourite Fellini, given the general popularity of the likes of La Dolce Vita or 8 1/2, it's simply down to the fact that Amarcord is one of the few Fellini films that actually works. There's bits to admire in pretty much everything he's done, but Amarcord manages to balance a hearty vulgarity and bawdiness (there's an obsession with sex and bodily functions firmly on display) alongside a more melancholy, wistful tone with a skill that the director would rarely display. Amarcord feels personal, it feels like you've been given an invitation to join a family and share in their memories. The traditions and tribulations of life play out on screen in this vibrant and evocative film.

At it's most basic level, Amarcord is just a tale of sex, family and fascism, but it's the simplicity that makes it work so well, you never feel that Fellini is trying too hard, something that hampers the majority of his work for me. Here he presents us with a work of great reflective beauty that's one of the most loving tributes to youth that cinema has ever brought us.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 99
RE: My Top 650 Films - 15/7/2011 4:21:01 PM   
jackassfan

I have seen 5 out of 9 so far

A bout De Souffle 7/10After Life 8.5/10Aguirre The Wrath Of God 6/10Alice In The Cities 9/10Amarcord 7/10

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 100
RE: My Top 650 Films - 15/7/2011 6:04:16 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I haven't seen the last two. Maybe they'll the first Godard and Fellini films to impress me.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to jackassfan)
Post #: 101
RE: My Top 650 Films - 16/7/2011 1:12:47 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackassfan

I have seen 5 out of 9 so far

A bout De Souffle 7/10After Life 8.5/10Aguirre The Wrath Of God 6/10Alice In The Cities 9/10Amarcord 7/10

No love for Aguirre makes me sad. But at least you like the others.

(in reply to jackassfan)
Post #: 102
RE: My Top 650 Films - 16/7/2011 1:13:24 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I haven't seen the last two. Maybe they'll the first Godard and Fellini films to impress me.

You should try them. You'll probably hate them. But you should try them.

Post #: 103
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 4:09:34 PM   
rawlinson

Amer
(2009; Hélène Cattet, Bruno Forzani)

Cast: Cassandra Forêt, Charlotte Eugène Guibeaud, Marie Bos, Bianca Maria D'Amato, Delphine Brual

Spoilers ahead

Amer is one of the most genuinely surprising films I've seen in quite some time. I'd heard some rave reviews comparing it to the best of the 70s gialli, but I was expecting a Tarantino-esque homage rather than the brilliant piece of head-fuckery that is Amer. It may be a homage to Italian horror, but it's no cheap-knock-off. It's one of the most baffling, tactile and visually rich films I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

The film focuses on three episodes in the life of Ana, taking her from childhood to adulthood, and focusing on events centred around her family's large coastal mansion. In the first segment, Ana (Cassandra Forêt) is a young girl, curious about the world and living with harsh but emotionally absent parents. Also in the house is Graziella (Delphine Brual), an unsettling creation and the audience is never sure if she's grandmother, nanny, servant or demonic force, and the dead body of Ana's grandfather. Ana finds her way into the room that holds her grandfather's corpse. After exploring the room, she finds her grandfather is holding a pocket watch in his hands and she decides to take it, only to find herself under attack from the strange, black clad Graziella. She runs and seeks help from her parents, only to discover them having sex. The sex scene is shot through a haze of colours, and we get the feeling that this link between sex and terror is one that will come back to haunt Ana. As Graziella continues to pursue Ana, we feel Ana's terror through the sensational sound and visual design, before this intriguing short comes to its mind-bending conclusion.

In the second segment, Ana (Charlotte Eugène Guibeaud) is older, a teenager now, and we join her walking along a road with her mother, on a trip to the shops near the mansion. All the men in town only have eyes for Ana, from passing motorists to shopkeepers to the young boy who tries to rub against her in a store. Ana will later run into a motorbike gang and flaunt her sexuality in front of them, awakening her mother's anger and jealousy. The tension here is completely sexual, and the possible consequences of Ana's sexuality. With every man in town lusting after her, how long will it be until one, or a group, turns violent? It's an incredibly sensual piece, sun-drenched, with the camera obsessed with capturing the droplets of sweat on Ana's body, or her hair as it strays across her face. The stylistic shift from the first segment to this one may be jarring to some, but it's a perfect contrast to the first story and a perfect way of showing Ana's emerging sexuality.

In the final story, Ana (Marie Bos) is now an adult, taking a charged taxi journey back to her childhood home. Ana is still getting male attention, but this time, one of them has a razor. The third story is the most typically giallo and the one that displays the influences of the genre most vividly. The film is undoubtedly indebted to giallo, especially the theme of placing a beautiful woman in danger, with the savagery of the attacks at odds with the beauty of the visuals, but those expecting another Deep Red or Blood and Black Lace will inevitably be disappointed. It's the visual style and the underlying emotions that Amer pays homage to rather than the narratives themselves. The equation between sex and death in the film is obvious, Ana's curiosity as a child is punished, she finds herself pursued by a deathly figure and traumatised by her parents lovemaking, her sexual awakening in the first chapter is then turned into a display of her sexual power in the second chapter - she makes every man want her, and the sole woman in her life becomes violent. Finally, comes punishment for that display of power.

Many will take against Amer. There's no real plot or narrative, no attempt at character depth or development, almost no dialogue. Although with all that said, it's very easy to see the film as a Repulsion-esque attempt to show the psychological destruction of a woman, and I think this is most evident in the third segment where we're never sure what is real and what is fantasy. What is certain is that Amer is a masterpiece of editing, of sound, of cinematography and art direction. It's an incredible sensory experience, it's one of the most sensual films I've ever seen and you have to give yourself over to the seductiveness of the film, even in its most transgressive moments, in order to really appreciate it. 

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 17/7/2011 4:12:39 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 104
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 10:28:14 PM   
impqueen

I love Alphaville quite possibly my favourite Godard in fact it's probably his only film that I truly care for.

Allegro non troppo looks and sounds amazing.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 105
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 10:39:24 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I love Alphaville quite possibly my favourite Godard in fact it's probably his only film that I truly care for.

But A bout de souffle? Pierrot le fou? Histoire (s) du Cinema?

Allegro non troppo is wonderful and everyone should check it out. Jim Davis essentially copied the Valse Triste segment for the 'Is Garfield Dead?' strip.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 106
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 10:43:25 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

But A bout de souffle? Pierrot le fou? Histoire (s) du Cinema?

Allegro non troppo is wonderful and everyone should check it out. Jim Davis essentially copied the Valse Triste segment for the 'Is Garfield Dead?' strip.

Pierrot le fou is a good challenger but there's something about Alphaville, it's the film I come back to more than any other.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 107
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 10:45:24 PM   
rawlinson

I just meant saying it's the only film you truly care for. Lack of Godard love makes me sad.

I'm rewatching Smashing Time and thinking I should have included it here.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 108
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 11:00:34 PM   
impqueen

I like Godard I just prefer a whole bunch of other directors before I get to him.

Rita is ace but Redgrave and her hair own Smashing , though York's moustache is distracting.  

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 109
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 11:09:50 PM   
rawlinson

It is. Very very distracting. But I have to disagree, Rita in the pussy suit owns the film. 

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 110
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 11:17:52 PM   
impqueen

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 111
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 11:33:09 PM   
rawlinson

It's films like Smashing Time that make the need for me to own a cinema even more urgent. 

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 112
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 11:48:30 PM   
impqueen

I hope you'd have a no child (except for certain good children), cinema etiquette policy?

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 113
RE: My Top 650 Films - 17/7/2011 11:52:58 PM   
rawlinson

Of course.  And theme nights. And a blanket ban on Meryl Streep films. And a night where I burn every copy of Forrest Gump I can get hold of, while Zelig plays in the background to show them how it's done. 

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 114
RE: My Top 650 Films - 18/7/2011 1:50:03 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Gump > Zelig

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 115
RE: My Top 650 Films - 18/7/2011 10:46:08 AM   
rawlinson

You should come to the first Gump-burning, it may open your eyes. 

Post #: 116
RE: My Top 650 Films - 18/7/2011 4:21:52 PM   
Deviation

Or watch Being There. It's the anti-Gump*.

*I think.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 117
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 5:34:37 AM   
rawlinson

Yes, Zelig for the historical footage. Being There for everything else.

While Gump burns.

And I laugh.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 118
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 5:51:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Gump > Zeling > Being There

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 119
RE: My Top 650 Films - 19/7/2011 6:05:05 AM   
rawlinson

Holding on to the insanity till the last? 

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI