Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Top 650 Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Top 650 Films - 10/7/2011 11:18:47 AM   
rawlinson

I'm guessing number 12 was Sons of the Desert? (I really don't remember) Yeah, that's still top 20. The thing is, PA really really really wanted people to defend it and argue with him, so it was funnier to just ignore him. 

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 31
RE: My Top 650 Films - 10/7/2011 2:20:51 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
I love masturbating about how awesome I think I am on the internet.

Pot. Kettle.

At least I admit it.

quote:

Numbering? Just alphabetical. It's pointless doing a ranked list because my top 10 haven't changed so it would all be very anticlimactic.

Tru dat. Also like the idea of an encyclopedia style. This thread'll be like Britannica, except filled with jokes about sleeping with Deviation's mum.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 32
RE: My Top 650 Films - 10/7/2011 2:25:09 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

I'm guessing number 12 was Sons of the Desert? (I really don't remember) Yeah, that's still top 20. The thing is, PA really really really wanted people to defend it and argue with him, so it was funnier to just ignore him. 

I wasn't the only one involved in that, thank you. In fact, I think you'll find you were about the only person involved in Lists and Top 10s who wasn't in some way embroiled in the fallout from Sons of the Desert. Congrats at not getting involved, must be nice to have the forums just like your real life.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 33
RE: My Top 650 Films - 10/7/2011 2:37:05 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

I wasn't the only one involved in that, thank you. In fact, I think you'll find you were about the only person involved in Lists and Top 10s who wasn't in some way embroiled in the fallout from Sons of the Desert. Congrats at not getting involved, must be nice to have the forums just like your real life.

It's such a weird film to cause such disturbance and splits though, simply because it's so harmless. I'd expect it to be the more controversial nominations that cause such, well, controversy.

quote:

Tru dat. Also like the idea of an encyclopedia style. This thread'll be like Britannica, except filled with jokes about sleeping with Deviation's mum.

The other thing is it becomes impossible to rank them with any degree of accuracy once you get over a certain number. I discovered that with the 300 list, so there was constant chopping and changing as I was working my way through it. With this, there's not such a problem. I've also covered myself a little and made a list of ten films I can drop if I needed to, just in case anything like The Tree of Life forces its way into the list.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 34
RE: My Top 650 Films - 10/7/2011 4:05:10 PM   
rawlinson

After Life
(1998; Hirokazu Kore-eda)

Cast: Arata, Erika Oda, Susumu Terajima, Takashi Naito

Spoilers ahead

It's Monday morning in the halfway house between death and eternity, and the workers are expecting their latest group of clients. Every week a new batch arrives and every week the process is the same. The dead are processed, assigned a case-worker, and interviewed. They are informed that yes, they are in fact dead, and they are given their instructions for the next week. They are to take the week thinking back over their lives in search of their favourite memory. Once they've chosen one, the workers recreate the memory on film, and that's what they take with them. That one perfect memory. No Heaven, no Hell, no judgement. Just a memory. A large section of the film consists of talking heads as the dead comb their memories for the one they'd like to choose. Some leap straight to the hollow, an old man thinks of the women he's been with, a young girl thinks of Splash Mountain. But how do you choose one memory if you're in your 80s and had a happy life? How do you choose something good if all you've known is sorrow, and how do you choose something important if you die when you're too young to have experienced life?

One of the most interesting aspects of the film is the way it approaches the house itself. Instead of setting it up as some kind of spiritual sanctuary, it's slightly run-down, falling apart (the power fuses when someone uses a hair-dryer) and run like any other work place. The workers are given motivational speeches, they bitch about past clients and their attitudes, they tire of the teenage girls who all pick the same memory. They're just like regular humans. Because they once were. They were themselves once the recently deceased, but they couldn't, or wouldn't, choose a memory, so they stayed to work at the house. The film is as much about them and their relationships as it is about the new arrivals.

It's one of the most interesting cinematic takes on the afterlife, it's certainly one of the most thought-provoking. One the one hand there's something quite joyous about the idea that the survival of the soul wouldn't result in some kind of ranking system where some are punished and some rewarded, it's certainly a lot more appealing than the idea of only being given that reward if you pledge allegiance to the right deity. On the other hand, there's something quite disconcerting about boiling your entire life down to just one moment. Is what you'll keep worth everything you'll lose?

The film is shot in documentary style, helping the recollections of the dead feel natural. Also helped by the fact these are based on real memories and many of the actors were non-professionals. This approach also gives a great sense of individuality to the memories, they're never played for the effect of jerking tears from the audience, and revelations about characters come in small moments rather than big ones. Just as it should be. The last third of the film is mostly about the recreation of those memories, and at times it feels like we're watching a behind the scenes documentary about the making of a film, and that raises interesting questions about the way cinema shapes visions. Many of the great films are about the nature of memory in some form or other, from Citizen Kane to Mirror. After Life feels like it's commenting on both memory and on cinema. The dead are forced to pick their favourite memory, each memory chosen will be have been shaped over the year's by that person's subconscious until it forms a perfect moment, viewed subjectively. They are then recreated on film, with limited tools, by a team of outsiders. So in a way that perfect subjective memory is becoming recorded as the objective truth. But the nature of the recreation means that it can never be an objective truth or a perfect recreation of the creator's original subjective memory. It can be read as an interesting assessment of the creative process that leads to a film being made, and how magic can still be found in cinema despite the compromises of the original vision. But to say After-life is just about that would be limiting the impact of this poignant little film, just as it would be limiting to say it's simply about a belief in some kind of continuation of the spirit. It's about humans, and it's about the little moments that make us human. It's a haunting film, moving without becoming heavy-handed, and capable of provoking a great deal of reflection and self-examination in the viewer.

Post #: 35
RE: My Top 650 Films - 10/7/2011 5:44:09 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

Awesome start.  Abhijaan was (I think) the first Ray film I saw.  I think an awful lot of Ray's films as a whole, but this is up there with the best.

Did you come to Ray after the Masters of Cinema release? Because it was one I was fairly unfamiliar with before that, and I'd already seen quite a number of his films. I spent ages tracking down The Music Room.

Yes it was the MoC release.  I'd written off The Music Room, but now it has a decent release so I def have to track it down.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 36
RE: My Top 650 Films - 10/7/2011 8:18:19 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I don't think I've seen 650 films.

That's because you're only 12

And because he gets obsessed with films and watches them endlessly. How many times have you seen How to Train Your Dragon now?

I've seen it as many times as Reb has had inappropriate thoughts about me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 37
RE: My Top 650 Films - 10/7/2011 8:57:36 PM   
matty_b

Swords, you may want to check out Movieaddikt247's thread.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 38
RE: My Top 650 Films - 10/7/2011 11:34:53 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Swords, you may want to check out Movieaddikt247's thread.

I did, and I just implied that I masturbate to Helen Mirren.

When did I get so rude?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 39
RE: My Top 650 Films - 10/7/2011 11:47:47 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I remember when you were young and innocent.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 40
RE: My Top 650 Films - 11/7/2011 2:17:41 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Awesome start.  Abhijaan was (I think) the first Ray film I saw.  I think an awful lot of Ray's films as a whole, but this is up there with the best.

Did you come to Ray after the Masters of Cinema release? Because it was one I was fairly unfamiliar with before that, and I'd already seen quite a number of his films. I spent ages tracking down The Music Room.

Yes it was the MoC release.  I'd written off The Music Room, but now it has a decent release so I def have to track it down.

It's my favourite Ray, so I'd highly recommend it.

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

I don't think I've seen 650 films.

That's because you're only 12

And because he gets obsessed with films and watches them endlessly. How many times have you seen How to Train Your Dragon now?

I've seen it as many times as Reb has had inappropriate thoughts about me.

I'm not sure if I'm more ashamed of you or Reb.

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 41
RE: My Top 650 Films - 11/7/2011 2:48:16 AM   
Rhubarb

I've only just seen this thread and you've already covered perhaps my favourite film of all time, and two films I've not seen before. So like most of your lists.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 42
RE: My Top 650 Films - 11/7/2011 2:53:23 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I've only just seen this thread and you've already covered perhaps my favourite film of all time, and two films I've not seen before. So like most of your lists.

I'm guessing JLG is your fave?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 43
RE: My Top 650 Films - 11/7/2011 3:21:00 AM   
Rhubarb

Yeah. Though I switch between that and Rashomon amongst other things. I've never seen any of Ray's films at all shamefully.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 44
RE: My Top 650 Films - 11/7/2011 6:02:08 AM   
rawlinson

Start with the Apu trilogy and go from there. 

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 45
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 12:45:05 AM   
rawlinson

Aguirre: The Wrath of God
(1972; Werner Herzog)

Cast: Klaus Kinski, Del Negro, Roy Guerra, Peter Berling

Spoilers ahead.

Aguirre is the story of the doomed expedition of the conquistador Gonzalo Pizarro, who in the 16th century led a group of men into the Peruvian rain forest to try and find El Dorado, the mythical lost city of gold. When Pizarro thinks the expedition is failing, he picks a smaller group to explore further up-river. If they fail too, the attempt will be abandoned. The party is led by Don Pedro de Ursua with Aguirre (Kinski) as second-in-command. At the first opportunity Aguirre stages a mutiny, establishes a puppet leader in de Guzman and uses him to command the party. With an unstable system of power, with only the vision of gold as a reward. Guzman proves as bad a choice for leader as Ursua. Supplies dwindle and the men exist on little food,  as they travel further down the river, El Dorado fails to appear and attacks from the natives, starvation and insanity appear to be the only reward they'll get from their expedition.

Filmed on location in Peru, The filming of Aguirre is almost as legendary as the film itself. Herzog and his actors went into a jungle and the shoot broke down to the extent that is it rumoured that Kinski wanted to quit Herzog held a gun to Kinski's head to force him to act. While there's no doubt that the shoot was tumultuous, but if anything it aided Kinski. Kinski's performance is possibly his finest, it certainly rivals Woyzeck/Fitzcarraldo for that title. Kinski's Aguirre is an intense man, bestial, ferocious, a force of nature driven into destruction by his own hubris. Kinski feels like Aguirre so much that the line between artist and performer seems more blurred here than in any of his other work.

Rather than filling the film with action for the sake of action, Herzog is willing to take a more measured pace to Aguirre. In doing so he produces something authentic yet harrowing, capturing what life would have been like for these conquistadors. Even though Herzog creates something that feels realistic, it's filled with visually stunning, surreal touches, such as Kinski floating along on a raft filled with monkeys. There's a theme here that turns up in so many Herzog films, that of someone who has a vision and has to try and reach it, no matter what the consequences may be. Herzog is a true visionary and this is one of cinema's great insane triumphs, from one of its great insane directors.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 46
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 12:48:23 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

I did, and I just implied that I masturbate to Helen Mirren.

When did I get so rude?

You're only human, Sandy.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 47
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 12:52:46 AM   
rawlinson

In the course of 24 hours I've discovered that Swords, MonsterCat and PA all masturbate to Helen Mirren. I don't need those kind of mental images. 

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 48
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 2:54:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'm saddened by all the great ''A'' films that won't be making this list. Action Jackson, Adaptation, Adam's Rib, Affliction, About Schmidt, Agent Cody Banks, the Abbot and Costello series. The latter bunch has at least 6 entries that wipe the floor with Aguirre.

Not all of that post is to be taken seriously. The last line is true though.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 49
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 3:07:58 AM   
rawlinson

I'm not sure how much of your post was to be taken seriously , so

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Action Jackson

Terrible film.

quote:

Adaptation

Good, but it's my least favourite Spike Jonze.

quote:

Adam's Rib

Good film, but fell out of consideration quite early.

quote:

Affliction

Very good film and was in the running

quote:

About Schmidt

Not a film I like very much.

quote:

Agent Cody Banks

With anyone else I'd pick out that one as a piss-take.

quote:

Abbott & Costello...

Of the A&C films, only Frankenstein was ever in consideration.

Post #: 50
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 5:46:59 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've never seen Action Jackson, I just knew it was pretty bad. Would have liked some Abbot and Costello though.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 51
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 6:19:36 AM   
rawlinson

Aren't you more interested/worried about the status of Lord of the Rings? 

Post #: 52
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 7:05:55 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Well, I'm reasonably confident that it will appear. It was 366 last time and you've hinted that's it gone higher since then. But unless it's dropped almost 300 spots I feel safe.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 53
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 7:16:06 AM   
rawlinson

I wouldn't get too confident, a film that was actually within the top 300 last time has dropped out of the list completely. So you never know. 

Post #: 54
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 7:36:55 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

ED 2?

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 55
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 7:42:07 AM   
rawlinson

You wish.  One thing I probably should say is my old list is going to be of little use for this list because I didn't actually look at it when compiling the new list. I just started with a long-list and then cut it down and down until I had this new one. So there's actually 4 or 5 higher ones from last time around that didn't make it this time. But I'm not saying which. 

Post #: 56
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 8:40:14 AM   
Pigeon Army

FUCK

AGUIRRE

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 57
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 9:55:57 AM   
rawlinson

I wonder how many of your most hated films will show up here?  Can't wait until we get to The Boondock Saints. 

Post #: 58
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 10:19:38 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Can't wait until we get to The Boondock Saints. 

You seem like the kind of person who would like that.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 59
RE: My Top 650 Films - 12/7/2011 10:24:15 AM   
rawlinson

It's actually very popular with wannabe hipsters, so I'm surprised you don't love it. 

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Top 650 Films Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI