Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: truly magnificent

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: truly magnificent Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: truly magnificent - 6/12/2011 10:58:08 AM   
Discodez

Saw this at the weekend and thought it could have been better done as an epic single episode rather than split into two parts.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 151
RE: truly magnificent - 6/12/2011 4:01:57 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Saw this at the weekend and thought it could have been better done as an epic single episode rather than split into two parts.

Agreed, it needed the slow build up of part 1 in the first half to make the second half more resonant.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 152
RE: truly magnificent - 8/12/2011 10:57:08 AM   
TheFuzz_1989

t just seemed to me like they copped out in so many areas that could have easily been fixed, great moments like the Bellatrix and Molly (Weasley) showdown felt rushed. And the whole way that they changed the finale with Ron and Hermione hunting the snake seemed pointless.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 153
RE: truly magnificent - 13/12/2011 7:19:11 PM   
bozo

Adequate is the best thing I can say. Journeyman hack Yates killed the franchise a long time ago and now it's just going through the paces. No heart, no imagination, no sense of fun or significance. Just and adaptation really.

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 154
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 Review - 13/12/2011 9:49:16 PM   
the film man

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is thrilling, powerfully acted, visually dazzling, and emotionally strong. This film has brought the the Harry Potter franchise to a satisfying, suitably magical, and emotional conclusion.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 155
RE: Really?? - 14/12/2011 6:45:34 AM   
Harry John

I think the movie was good until the "final battle", that was incredibly boring and they changed around a lot. All the deaths had no impact and the book had a more dramatic feeling to it than the movie actually did.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 156
So-So - 14/12/2011 4:53:47 PM   
Turd Ferguson

I haven't read the books, so purely from a cinematic point of view this movie is surprisingly fairly run of the mill. A solid 3-stars, no more. Entertaining, but entirely forgettable.

Post #: 157
Lacks Impact - 16/1/2012 9:56:04 AM   
Hillsman

As with all of the Potter films, the key moments from the books like any sort of impact. I just never found myself feelng emotional. I could say "there was too much to cram in" - it was film 6 before I sensed any genuine friendship between the Harry, Ron & Herm while Snape's lack of screen-time over the series completely destroyed the significance of his final scene with Harry - however, look at the LOTR trilogy. I am always close to tears near the end of FOTR, while the all important bond of the Fellowship is established early on (when it matters most). And of course, the films' biggest weakness - Daniel Radcliffe - he just never did for me. Harry was troubled, hot-headed and a bit reckless, but he was always brave and loyal to his friends and allies. Very little of this found its way to the big screen. Franchise reboot anyone?!

Post #: 158
Harry Potter and Hallows 2 - 23/2/2012 11:02:43 PM   
lynnshep

Excellent end to the series. Moving, action packed. Best of the bunch.

Post #: 159
Harry Potter and Hallows 2 - 23/2/2012 11:02:44 PM   
lynnshep

Excellent end to the series. Moving, action packed. Best of the bunch.

Post #: 160
An Exceptional Fantasy - 4/4/2012 5:30:29 PM  1 votes
blaud

Without getting caught up in the politics of whether this is a good adaptation or not, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 is nothing short of excellent. Performances continue the trend of part 1 and are better than they've ever been before, setpieces are mind-bogglingly awesome, and the whole spectacle is one of excitement and energy, finally erupting into the brilliant ending the series so prides itself on. The script is also stellar, being both funny and at times, wonderfully poignant. The only thing that holds this back from being a five-star film is pacing, which is jumpy at best, particularly in the first act. This may be no one's fault; the story is still told in an admirably restrained fashion, but at times one can't escape the feeling that the second half of the book is being rushed. This does not, however, take away from the enjoyment, especially if (unlike me) you are a fan of the films and not the books. Some may cast doubts on whether this is a good enough swansong for a character that has been with many of us for our whole lives. I can answer, definitively, yes, it is. As an adaptation, it's solid. As a piece of fantasy, it's sterling. The series is now complete, thank God it was worth the wait.

Post #: 161
RE: An Exceptional Fantasy - 21/8/2012 5:33:03 PM   
princessa

A pretty good movie. I particularly loved the first hour. The action scenes were great especially the battle of Hogwarts.

My main complaint is that unfortunately alot of the minor characters are not given much to do. It would have been nice to see some of them participating more in the action scenes and actually given dialogue - even a few lines.

< Message edited by princessa -- 21/8/2012 5:34:27 PM >

(in reply to blaud)
Post #: 162
RE: An Exceptional Fantasy - 23/8/2012 1:29:08 AM   
Rgirvan44

I still get annoyed at that little smile Mrs Weasley gives after her fight. Totally not fitting the character in that scene, and in that emotional state.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 163
All Was Well - 6/11/2012 7:46:26 PM   
HelenP94

A year it’s been since the epic conclusion to the final Harry Potter films. And for a year I have been in mourning for the end of my childhood. As a Potterhead, I have read, watched and toured the magic of HP for a decade and since its end of the films I have had Post-Potter depression. I miss the much loved NON-fiction saga which every year is as good as the last with more twists and turns than Downton Abbey.

However much I miss HP being available in the cinemas I have to say that Deathly Hallows Part 2 was an excellent film which gave HP the ending it deserved. Breaking into Gringotts, flying a dragon, finding and destroying Horcruxes, Hermione and Ron getting together (finally) and defeating Lord Voldemort with the elder wand its needless to say Part 2 had something for everyone. The only critique I could find with the film was there was no closure for Potterheads. If there had been a few simple, but very effective, words on screen such as “All was well” or “Harry Potter 2001-2011” or even “The End” it would have made the film seem truly ending. I didn’t like the 19 years later scene, in the books it gives a lot more detail about what the members of the DA were doing when they were 36 years old. Harry’s son wasn’t a good suit but Ron’s fat belly made up for any losses with the casting.

When I am old and grey I shall read my grandchildren the Harry Potter books and watch the films with them and share the magic. My husband of 50 years will say, “Harry after all the time?” to which I will reply “Always”

Once a Potterhead, always a Potterhead.

Post #: 164
RE: All Was Well - 11/2/2013 9:51:22 PM   
V.E.N.O.M

Sorry to dredge this one back up, but I just found my review from before I joined Empire:

"I have to say that this movie was not how I expected it to be. Though there were dark moments that the film makers promised, but there is still a lot of humour in this movie. The opening sequence was the best. Hermione ridding her parent's memory was one of the most emotional scenes in the entire movie. Even though the scene wasn't very long, it provoked such a strong emotion and I thought Emma was brilliant as she softly whispers "obliviate" with tear filled eyes. It made me cry too. It was so sad to think of how it would feel like to never exist in your parent's life. Her body disappearing from the photos made me bawl. It was done perfectly. And the 'Obliviate' track from the soundtrack started to play and I really liked it. I was sceptical about Alexandre Desplat scoring this film but when the songs are played in the movie, it really sounds good. Another great scene is when Snape is heading towards Malfoy Manor. The song 'Snape to Malfoy Manor' from the soundtrack is brilliant and is my favourite out of all the tracks.

Another great scene is the Death Eater meeting in the beginning of the movie. Alan Rickman displays the best emotion of fear and vulnerability when Charity Burbage is hanging in midair. My heart stopped when moments before her death she says "S-S-Severus...please." And then Snape just stares at her with feeling. This is a very good scene. I really love the special effects they put into this one. Nagini looks very scary as she slithers towards Charity.

The 7 Potters scene was comical. It was really good. Nicely done by Dan. The crowd I was seeing the screening with was annoying as they never stopped laughing at this scene. The sky battle was really good. I love the way the Death Eaters appear out of nowhere in the sky. And Hedwig dying was sad. She flies to protect Harry and then the curse hits her. She made a chirp as it hit her which made my heart sink. Voldemort appearing in the sky and having this in flight duel with Harry was really cool. When George is seen with his ear ripped off the look of Fred's face just perfect. The emotions were really carried to the audience. I love James and Oliver Phelps. They are great. Harry zipping up Ginny's dress before the wedding made me laugh. It was very random and George interrupting Harry and Ginny's kiss with a toothbrush in his ear was very funny. When the Kingsley's message comes, it really is as good as I thought it was going to be. Celebration turns into complete chaos with people being hit by curses to screaming and running around.

The Ministry of Magic scene is really good. When Harry, Ron, and Hermione take the Polyjuice Potion and turn into the Ministry workers it is hilarious as it is in the book when Ron tries to keep his "wife" company as she escapes the hearing when Harry hits Umbridge with the spell and Hermione grabs the locket. The actors who play the workers did a perfect job of copying Dan, Emma, and Rupert's mannerisms. It was well done. As the Polyjuice Potion wears off, Ron's "wife" kisses him thinking she's kissing her husband and then Rupert is shown kissing the lady. That was excellent. It was hilarious. And then the lady's real husband comes out of nowhere with his underwear on and it is just perfect.

Another thing I really liked about this movie was the Snatchers scene when the three are running. It is silent and it really feels as if you are running with them. There is so much excitement and fear and the camera is amazing. I also liked the scene with Xeno Lovegood and the Deathly Hallows story. I liked how they portrayed the story with the eerie looking animation and it reminded me of Nightmare before Christmas for some reason. The Godric's Hollow scene was good. When Hermione puts the flowers on Harry's parent's grave, my heart sunk and I was teary-eyed. This is an emotional scene and it is very heart wrenching. When Harry and Hermione see the demolished house, I was hoping it to be a little sadder but the book was much more better at creating emotion because of the messages people had written for Harry which was not showed in the movie.

Another favourite scene of mine is the Bathilda Bagshot scene. It was very good. The lady creeps the hell out of me and when she stares at Harry it gives me goose bumps. As she leads Harry upstairs, I got this really chilling feeling. It's really creepy. And when Hermione sees the blood in the room with the flies, it was like a scene from a horror movie. I love how Bathilda and Harry speak to each other in Parseltongue and stare at each other upstairs. I was hoping that Nagini would come out of her neck but instead she crumbles and within her clothes Nagini comes attacking Harry. This scene is really intense. I really like the special effects because Nagini looks amazing and really scary. I'm disappointed that Voldemort never showed up there though.

The fight between Ron and Harry was good. But Rupert was more realistic. I know Dan said in an interview it was really hard for him to yell at Rupert and it showed. The retrieving the sword out of the lake scene was good. I like how the locket tried to restrict Harry from going down further and I thought it was done perfectly. Dan is really good at battling things underwater especially after he's done so much in Goblet of Fire when he's fighting with those Grindylows in the second task. The locket scene is interesting. I love how the spiders come out of the locket because they are Ron's worst fears. I think that really set the emotion up for that scene. It shows perfectly how Riddle tries to scare Ron and keep him vulnerable. The Harry/Hermione kiss was very interesting. Yes, they do kiss passionately and that wasn't the hard part to watch. It was the fact that they were sparkly and almost naked. I guess because it was supposed to spark jealously in Ron it was a perfect scene but I thought it was really weird looking. Definitely not how I pictured it. Ron coming back and seeing Hermione was a scene in which the audience would not stop laughing (they were REALLY annoying) as they saw Hermione hitting him with a bag and demanding her wand from Harry.

Seeing Kreacher and Dobby in the same scene was really exciting for me. They are so cute! I really love how Dobby's wearing shoes. I really like Malfoy Manor. I think it really shows the darkness perfectly. When the Snatchers see that they have Harry they drag him to the Manor and the emotions that are expressed in that are just amazing. You really feel like you've lost all hope now that Voldemort is going to be able to get Harry once and for all. The actual Malfoy Manor scene is good. Hermione yelling and screaming was very well done and the mudblood carved on her arm was the icing on the top. Emma was really good in the scene. I thought it was pretty sad that a lot of non book readers that there was something sexual going on between Bellatrix and Hermione because Bellatrix was mounted on top her and her face was obscured from the camera and Hermione was just yelling. I really wish that instead of what they did they should have had Bellatrix just use the Cruciatus curse on Hermione. Dobby's scenes were comical until the very end. It was a very emotional scene seeing Dobby with a knife in his chest. And when Harry yells "help me!" to Hermione as he holds Dobby in his arms just made me cry. Very powerful scene and frankly I just wish that the movie ended at Shell Cottage. I thought that seeing Voldemort at Dumbledore's tomb and grabbing the Elder Wand was going to be good but instead it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be.

So overall the movie had some great emotional scenes which I really liked. I didn't like the fact that there was too much camping. I understand that that is a big chunk of the book but it was getting boring. Action scenes were really good. The movie could have been less comical. It was a dark movie but not as dark as it should have been. The cinematography was amazing. Death Eaters, Nagini, and Voldemort are perfectly done. I kind of miss Hogwarts when I saw this. I knew that Harry wasn't going to be coming back from the books but that sense of magic is gone. The music is amazing. It really made the movie a lot better. Anyways, I could write more but my hands are really starting to hurt.

I would give this movie 9/10."

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

(in reply to HelenP94)
Post #: 165
RE: All Was Well - 11/2/2013 9:59:33 PM   
V.E.N.O.M

Sigh. This is my DH Part 1 Review

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

(in reply to V.E.N.O.M)
Post #: 166
RE: All Was Well - 12/2/2013 2:30:18 AM   
england_cmr

I love this movie! Not my favourite Potter, nor my favourite Deathly Hallows, but it still delivered. However, loads of issues with it:

- The 19 years later bit. Just..what. It worked fine in the book, nothing special, but in this it was just laughable . i should have been bawling my eyes out at saying goodbye to a character I had grown up with and instead I was howling at how they thought giving Ron a fat suit made him look older. The only one who looked borderline alright was Harry. I really need them to refilm this in 19 years with the naturally aged actors just so I can forget the current abomonation exists.
- As others have said, some of the deaths were criminally understated. However, this was in issue in the books as well. I hated how JK was just like 'Oh and thingy, thingy and thingy died too.' I was just like 'sorry? Some of the best characters have literally been given a one line death scene? Is this B for real??' I was hoping the splitting of the films would've given some of them the epic death scenes that they deserved, but Alas, earwax.
- The lack of some characters, most notably Hagrid. (Also the Weasleys, teachers such as Trelawney etc etc) He was such an important and memorable role in the films and yet he barely has a few lines. Such a shame. The only 'returning' characters who I think got good treatment were Snape and Minerva herself.

Unlike some others, I am so glad they split it into two films. I canney be dealing with missing stuff out in such an integral book to the series, and they stuff they did add/ changes they made, I was happy with.

1) Inception
2) Wall - E
3) Beetlejuice
4) Big Fish
5) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6) Spirited Away
666) Battleship

(in reply to V.E.N.O.M)
Post #: 167
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: truly magnificent Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI