Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: everything I expected & more

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: everything I expected & more Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: everything I expected & more - 15/7/2011 5:49:07 PM   
ramseyrocks

Really? I mean it was a good film - a slim 2nd best of the series but like Empire says - it rushes/ doesnt put any emphasis on alotta cool moments from the climax but overall still enjoyable

(in reply to megank13)
Post #: 91
Can't wait to see it... - 15/7/2011 6:42:47 PM   
sunflies

Cos I'm pretty damn bored of this franchise now. I can't even be bothered to read this review! The last one (DHPt1) was really good and otherwise Azkaban and Goblet of Fire are the only ones I'd ever bother re-watching. The acting throughout the series has been atrocious. The last one was the only one that felt like a proper film, and as if the performances were more than just a necessary evil to get the cash in.
Sorry - I'm just slated a Spider-Man film I haven't seen yet; I don't know what's come over me today. I'm usually much more open-minded. Must have been a hard week!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 92
Actually Alright! - 15/7/2011 7:29:05 PM   
Ebony Heart

I saw this last night and actually really enjoyed it. As a fan of the books, I thought it managed to fit everything in (though some bits were rushed, maybe they could've extended the running time slightly) and the action scenes were well done. I really enjoyed seeing a lot more of Voldemort and thought he was the best thing in it, narrowly over Snape, particuarly in his and Harry's fighting/chase towards the end.
I thought it built the anticipation for the battle well, moved swiftly (especially for a Harry Potter film) and although there should've been more of everyone else fighting, as the adult wizards are so much cooler than the kids, I thought they actually managed to do a decent job out of it this one.
I think this and Prisoner of Azkaban are easily the best two films out of the franchise, which isn't hard as the fifth and sixth films were particularly awful. And I'm glad they split the seventh one into two films now, it will be interesting to watch them back to back, as if they'd have had to cram everything in from the book into one film - it would've been worse than that Burrow scene from HBP.

Post #: 93
Mischief Managed... Perfectly! - 15/7/2011 8:56:22 PM   
MiaZappa

Wow. There are no words to describe how amazing this film is. I laughed, I cried (a lot), I rejoiced. It was all just so wonderful & now all I am is depressed that it's all over. Alan Rickman was absolutely fantastic during Snape's final moments, Maggie Smith was a fuckin' bad arse as McGonagall; like super bad arse! And even Dan Rad pulled it out of the bag as the famous boy wizard! I loved it and will probably be seeing it a good 4 more times. Now, I must try not to cry when thinking about the Princes Tale and Fred Weasley... DAMMIT!

Post #: 94
RE: Awesome - 15/7/2011 11:04:37 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I thought it was excellent, four stars all the way.  Loses a star because the supporting cast hardly gets a look in.  My favourite is still Order but this is a close second.  Off to see it again tomorrow and from where I was sitting today (near the front) the 3D was great. 

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 15/7/2011 11:10:34 PM >

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 95
RE: Empire Sellout. . . - 15/7/2011 11:12:53 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Back to the film, anyone heard whether it's worth seeing in 3D or not?

A few reviews I've read have said the 3D isn't much cop.

Yeah, its terrible. It reminded me of a lenticular magazine cover.

Ah, once again we disagree Adam

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 96
RE: A mediocre film franchise for mediocre people... - 15/7/2011 11:17:29 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

...written by a mediocre writer
. Filled with hasbeen Britsh actors just looking for a payday. Good ridance to alot of old rot.

Emma Thompson is a has-been, apparently. Ralph Fiennes too, lets not forget Alan Rickman and Helena Bonham Carter.   What an idiotic comment.

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 97
RE: A mediocre film franchise for mediocre people... - 15/7/2011 11:57:53 PM   
jamesianosborne

On the whole I enjoyed it and loved loved loved the Snape "reveal"

BUT...

Considering 50% of the film was the battle, they managed to rush the Weasleys bits, we don't even get to see Bellatrix kill Fred, and they ruined Bellatrix's death, and indeed Voldemort's.... Why do they have to put in needless CGI disintegrations? A corpse lifelessly falling to the floor will always be more dramatic than any special effect.

Hated the 'snake hunt' too.... The scene in the Book where Neville tears a flaming sorting hat from his head and cuts down Nagini is amazing.... Ruined!

"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage."

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 98
Will make you feel like a kid again - 16/7/2011 7:26:20 AM   
littlechris

This is the first film in ages that actually made me feel like an excitable child - so many great moments (Gringots & Snapes flashback were definitely the stand outs) and while I agree with Empire that some bits felt rushed, it still didn't detract from my enjoyment of the movie. Okay the epilogue prompted fits of laughter from everyone in the audience which kind of ruined it a little, but if Lord of the Rings can get away with 12 endings then Potter can have that.

Post #: 99
RE: A mediocre film franchise for mediocre people... - 16/7/2011 7:34:30 AM   
Swedle

you're calling Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Jim Broadbent and co. 'hasbeens'? what is wrong with you?

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 100
RE: - 16/7/2011 7:40:40 AM   
Swedle

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobbyperu

These films may have made vast amounts of money but none are memorable - They have become one big indistinguishable mass - Films that are remembered are distinctive - This is why Potter will be forgotten in a very short space of time - Out of sight out of mind -

The thing is, they won't be forgotten, it's not about some money-making franchise, it's more than ten years in the life of a whole generation who will always enjoy and remember the books and films, of course america will try and take the glory from the british team who made these films what they are what with the 'world of harry potter' theme park, but harry potter is now a part of british history, and it's sad that people dont realise that

(in reply to bobbyperu)
Post #: 101
RE: RE: - 16/7/2011 9:38:45 AM   
Wild about Wilder

A fitting finale to a magnificent contribution to the British film industry "GOD KNOWS WHAT WERE GONNA DO KNOW" with this lot in charge.
As really know the character on screen having not read the books (reminded me too much of Gaiman's The Books Of Magic) i've followed them from start to the end & it's amazed me how they've managed to keep the film, location & cast British considering it's backed by an American film studio I think if it had been any of the others it wouldn't have happened so a big round of applause should also go to W.BROS.
As for the film I think it more than made up for the slightly slow part1 & gave minor characters a chance too shine Mrs.Weasley(nice Aliens reference), Neville & Proffesor Madonigle (I know i've spelt that wrong) some really great action scenes a thouroughly exellent 4stars.
1 more thing glad I didn't see it in 3D as long sections were pretty dark & with the glasses on which lose a lot of the brightness would have been nearly impossible to watch.

(in reply to Swedle)
Post #: 102
Truly dreadful - 16/7/2011 6:13:35 PM   
sunflies

Yep, seen it now. What an anti-climax after ten years. This franchise relies entirely on the devotion of its generous fans. This film is a major step back after a relatively impressive Part 1. The Grange Hill acting is back with a vengeance. I honestly don't know how anyone could claim this to be a good film; pace, script, cuts, story - all atrocious. Some good fx, but that's about it. What a drawn out pile of crap... Azkaban, Goblet, Hallows Pt 1 - all pretty good. The rest - very very lazy. Good riddance Plopper.

Post #: 103
3 1/2 - That's Empires verdict - - 16/7/2011 6:19:48 PM   
bobbyperu

Out of the 8 films Empire gave 4 films 4**** and the other 4 films 3*** - That averages out at 3 1/2 Stars - Not a ringing endorsement - Now we have reached the end we can stand back and look at it as a whole - I see no masterpiece just an indistinguishable mass - The Potter films are ok at best - When all the fuss dies down I doubt they will be seen as classics -

Post #: 104
RE: 3 1/2 - That's Empires verdict - - 16/7/2011 11:30:39 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Saw this earlier today.

The first 30 minutes in Gringotts was a rubbish set piece, but the Battle of Hogwarts was pretty phenomenal.

The Prince's Tale was well realised, if a little rushed - though Alan Rickman is an acting god. Lump in throat when he was craddling the dead Lilly.

The comic beats, however, were ill timed and delivered poorly - would have been better without them.

All in all, a good way to end an OK film series.

< Message edited by Sumintelligentguy -- 16/7/2011 11:34:53 PM >

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to bobbyperu)
Post #: 105
RE: 3 1/2 - That's Empires verdict - - 17/7/2011 7:46:41 AM   
Swedle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

Saw this earlier today.

The first 30 minutes in Gringotts was a rubbish set piece, but the Battle of Hogwarts was pretty phenomenal.

The Prince's Tale was well realised, if a little rushed - though Alan Rickman is an acting god. Lump in throat when he was craddling the dead Lilly.

The comic beats, however, were ill timed and delivered poorly - would have been better without them.

All in all, a good way to end an OK film series.

I agree, i thought a lot of it could be longer! i dont know why they made the whole film so short! i don't know why they put so much eyeshadown on alan rickman either, but that's a different matter...

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 106
Pretty good - 17/7/2011 12:11:32 PM   
spideed2

As a modeate fan of the movies only i found this a well made and solid movie. But it still relies on melodrama over actual drama and it was lacking any real emotional impact for me, (id be more upset if id actally seen any chracters get killed perhaps, but its never shown). Id still count 3, 4 and 5 as the peaks of the series.

Post #: 107
- 17/7/2011 8:12:36 PM   
Lorenelliott

The Deathly Hallows part 2 was a fantastic farewell to Harry Potter and his friends. I enjoyes it 100% and will miss not being able to look forward to another film, as this franchise has been going most of my childhood. The revelation of Snape's part through out the whole series lived up to my expectations.
Harry Potter and his friends will be missed by millions.

Post #: 108
Not bad, not great - 17/7/2011 11:51:28 PM   
TheHazman

Considering all the build up, this let me down quite a bit. It had its cool moments, but felt a bit rushed at points and had no real weight to it. (Like most of the other films) The fight between Harry and Voldamort was massively disappointing! That has been building up all this time and then they just point their wands at each other a bit? The fight between him and Dumledore was far more epic!

Overall enjoyable, but like a lot have said, I think these movies will be quite quickly forgotten.

Post #: 109
RE: Not bad, not great - 18/7/2011 3:01:53 PM   
hampstead bandit

anybody else very disappointed with the 3D in this film?

I've seen a good number of 3D films and when done right it can enhance the film - when done poorly (as in the case of Deathly Hallows Pt.2 ) it ruins the viewing experience

The film was incredibly murky in 3D, with very poor brightness and lack of contrast for the majority of the film - the only exception being *SPOILER ALERT*

the sequence at "King Cross" with Dumbledore, and the "19 years later" scene sending off the kids

most of the battle scenes were a murky mess, and I was experiencing strange reflections / refractions in some scenes (one of Alan Rickman's Snape I could see the character at the top of the screen and an outline image of his head at the bottom of the screen)

this was seen on one of Odeon's Digital 8000HD screens in London (which I have seen other 3D films on with no problems), so its doubtful the equipment was as fault?

the film itself (what I could see of it) seemed to work quite well, although I found the most effective moments were the quiet pieces, and especially the scene where Harry uses Snape's tears in Dumbledore's study to see his story - very touching

the final scene worked very well after the bleakness of the battles

3/5 from me - I cannot wait to see this at home on Blu-Ray HD when it comes out at Christmas and see what I can really 'see' in the film

(in reply to TheHazman)
Post #: 110
RE: Not bad, not great - 18/7/2011 4:02:19 PM   
BishopQuaker

I'll keep this as short as I can.

I really enjoyed HP+TDH Pt 2.
I thought it was a proper heart racing film from start very nearly to finish.

The only bits I wasn't sure of are
1) Bellatrix exploded and didn't collapse to the floor in a heep
2) Voldemort also exploded ala Quirrel rather than the full crash to the floor "He's dead. End of" that I would have liked.

That said, I still thought it was great.
Slightly gutted there won't be any more now!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 111
RE: Not bad, not great - 18/7/2011 4:14:04 PM   
Swedle

quote:

ORIGINAL: hampstead bandit

anybody else very disappointed with the 3D in this film?

I've seen a good number of 3D films and when done right it can enhance the film - when done poorly (as in the case of Deathly Hallows Pt.2 ) it ruins the viewing experience

The film was incredibly murky in 3D, with very poor brightness and lack of contrast for the majority of the film - the only exception being *SPOILER ALERT*

i agree about the 3D, i think they just use it to make money, the only film i've thought worked well in 3D was avatar, and i know a lot of people don't like it, but it is pretty gorgeous to look at!
they just know that people will pay the extra £2.50 or whatever it is, for 3D, so they don't put in any effort... saying that, i think it detracts from the film when things pop out of the screen just to make you jump... i'm talking myself round in circles now...

Post #: 112
Do they pull it off? Just about - 18/7/2011 9:08:45 PM   
trainedasninja

Im going to start by saying that satisfying expectant fans, like myself, is no easy task. Not forgetting that Half Blood Prince was a surprise disapointment for Yates. The First piece of evidense that suggests that the team are capable of a letdown. Our faith restored by Deathly Hallows pt1: a likeable, chilled paced, character focused entry which nicely increases expectation for this, however past mistakes are not easily forgotton.

The Gringotts sequence was brilliant and it is worth noting how excellant an actress Helena Boham Carter is. Her performance as Hermione is incredibly believable. Plus its got a dragon it in! You cant help but cheer inside when the three heroes escape, wiping the smiles from the bad guys faces. A great beginning.

Then we move towards the Hogwarts battle. It is clear that the film takes a brave but understandable slight deviation from the book from quite early on. In part it has mixed results. In strength it allows it to become more filmic and allows more ground to be covered. However the fight between Harry and Voldemort seems unecessarily drawn out and tries to go for the classic movie face off, which spoils the message abit (but lets not be too critical).

Anyway, someone could hardly complain that this doesnt aim for epic and explosive heights. This is Harry Potter guns blazing with stylish effects and huge destruction. It is incredibly exciting combined with a tense atmousphere that rivals Jacksons's Helms Deep. Its a shame the emotional element isnt handled aswell as the action. There are some moments which are uneasy viewing. The destruction of the school is tragic and Snape death is horrifically brutal and his memories are as beautifully sad as you would expect (even if there impact is limited by the fact they are quite short in length). As for the other moments its more of a case of 'oh they're dead' than anything sad. Just check out Mrs Weasley's smile at the end of the film for instance. Has she forgotton her son has died? An example that the filmmakers are not completly in touch with what is occuring. 

On a seperate note, I think Hagrid has been criminally underused in this. Sure he doesnt really add to the plot in the latter films but he doesnt receive the goodbye he deserves. He was after all an extremely important character in the first few films. Even his reaction to Harry's death has been strangely if not curiously ommissed. A moment in the book that I found the most heartbreaking to read.

Overall it is easy to dwell on such areas. Lets not forget that this is a film and requires to be filmic. It certainly excells in conveying what is important. I wouldnt say it is the best or my favourite. However, its many weaknesses are outweighed by its huge strengths. Im guessing this requires a few more watches to be fully appreciated. A worthy bittersweet end - 4 stars

< Message edited by trainedasninja -- 18/7/2011 9:37:21 PM >

Post #: 113
RE: Average mcaverage burgers - 19/7/2011 6:41:53 AM   
threshold

Well this movie can be reviewed various ways:

It can: Be reviewed on a parallel to the harry potter books, and still remain a series,
It can be reviewed as a series of individual movies (which is a very bad idea for 5-7),
Or it can be reviewed as a series of connected movies, disregarding (but still keeping in mind) the books.

I am going with the third option.

I gave up reading the harry potter series when it came to order of the phoenix (and from what I heard, it was the least readable of all of them). To me the book was jumbled, messy and very involving.
The following books (again from what I heard) ended up being an improvement upon the 5th book, and apparently I missed very much both plot wise, and character wise.

Luckily, I had not missed out on any of the harry potter movies, and I knew exactly what was going on with the characters and plot.
So the Harry Potter movies have succeeded in keeping the uninformed watcher (me) up to date with all the doings of the series.

Unfortunately that is why this last harry potter movie is not as amazing as it should’ve been. The ending is atrocious. It leaves characters, plots and ideas left ignored by the filmmakers. The end only focuses on the three main characters. But even then it fails in what it was trying to do. It tried to create a sense of longevity of Hogwarts and magic, but instead I was still thinking about how the school would’ve recovered from such an attack, and what and who would’ve been headmaster and stuff like that.

I have been told if I want to know about the back-story and other characters that I should read the books. The point of the movie is to be a visual adaptation of the books so it should not ignored vital aspects to the book. Also it would be a waste of elder British talent for their characters to be ignored.

I have also been told that the reason for less focus on the lesser characters is because the movie would go over 3 hours. I’m pretty sure for a finale of the most successful movie series should be at least that length.
As for the 19 years later thing, that scene was just hilarious!! All of the teens pretending to be adults just by changing their hairstyles!!! LOL!!! And funniest of all, Ron was fat!!! Oh yeah, cause that’ll convince me that he’s older!!!
Apart from the ending and lack of a rounded ending involving all characters, the whole movie leading up to the ending was pretty good. The scene where harry & co went to find one of Voldemort’s Horcruxes in the bank was very thrilling, and Helena Bonham Carter as Hermonie was indeed very good acting, although the lip syncing of Hermione’s Bellatrix could’ve been a bit better.....

All in all, this was a fun ride, but a very lacking final scene which could’ve been brilliant if it was fleshed out and with the fleshed out final scene would’ve been a very fitting finale for the movie series that has defined a generation.

For fun I’m going to compare this movie to the other harry potters.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone – 4.5/5 A nice introduction with good performances all round. Maybe a too scary finale for littlies, but it is reassured by grandfather figure, Dumbledore.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – 4/5 A little less fun movie, but still does not ruin the good plot and nice performances.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – 5/5 An absolute masterpiece of family adventure. Aptly dark and a very whizz bang story allows viewers to fully delve themselves into this wonderful magical world. I personally find Michael Gambon’s Dumbledore more of a father figure for Harry than somewhat comparatively detached Richard Harris.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – 3.5/5 Now the series starts to slip into mediocrity. Even though there are still magical adventures and tasks for harry to complete, there is something missing from the movie, possibly due to too much talk about the ministry of magic. Extra Points for David Tenants crazed cameo, and Voldemort’s first appearance.
Harry Potter and the Order of the phoenix – 3/5 Way too much talk of ministry of magic, only somewhat reminded by the fun of the originals by the inclusion of Bellatrix and the dark arts teacher.
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince – 3.5/5 An improvement, with the new dark arts teacher, but ultimately forgettable.
Harry potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 – 4/5 A return to the fun that was riddled in the original 3. The polyjuice potion scene is very tense and magical, as should’ve been the entire series.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – 3.5/5

As shown, the middle harry potters, while fun, are just fillers to the more important HP’s.

More reviews on our tumblr:

http://indiethingsforhipsters.tumblr.com/

(in reply to trainedasninja)
Post #: 114
RE: Average mcaverage burgers - 19/7/2011 1:38:01 PM   
superdan

I thought it was a decent end to the franchise, and certainly better than the road trip of Part 1 (I think watching Pt.2 straight after Pt.1 would be quite a jolt in pace). I've not read the books, so I found the end to be a bit of an anti-climax, particularly after the pretty exhilarating battle at Hogwarts that went before it. It feels rushed at times, and few of the characters are given much to do (**SPOILERS** some of them have nothing to do but lie there dead, which seems a little cheap**SPOILERS**), but as far as spectacle goes it's quite impressive and the action is generally well done.

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 115
RE: Not bad, not great - 19/7/2011 1:46:40 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Was warned about this before it came out the thing is with 3D you supposedly lose about 20% of the brightness so if it's quite dark it'll be very hard to view , which may be another reason Nolan won't make BatMan in 3D.

Post #: 116
RE: A mediocre film franchise for mediocre people... - 19/7/2011 8:07:37 PM   
pancakeface

yeah i totally agree. the last battle bit needed more of a build up with other people fighting voldemort etc. and i think the key element missed is how voldemort cannot properly harm any of them due to harry sacrificing himself for everyone. and the fight between voldemort is ridiculous, over long and stupid, like everytime they duel or whatever.

also i dont think bellatrix kills fred, i think he is supposed to be killed by an explosion or rookwood, im not sure.

i think the best bit in the book they missed out is when harry finds out he has to die and he is in the cloak walking through the corridors and then longs to see hermione ron and ginny etc but he thinks he shouldnt. then he sees ginny and has to tear himself away. but the bit where he brings back his parents and sirus and lupin is done well. and the kings cross bit is quite good as well.

(in reply to jamesianosborne)
Post #: 117
RE: A mediocre film franchise for mediocre people... - 19/7/2011 8:10:52 PM   
pancakeface

hahahaha

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 118
The Book was better - 19/7/2011 8:32:45 PM   
angel503

i was soo excited for the last installment of harry potter but it was a disappointment for me, i have read all 7 books and seen all films, i loved the last book it was perfect, the battle was planned, the emotions were kept ongoing throughout the battle clearly and i loved it. But when i saw the film it was a huge let down because the book was so much better. the battle wasnt planned well, too much information got left out of the film and it was just too different, but saying this i did love the film and cried at the emotional parts especially at the music, Alexandre Desplat did an amazing job. i award this film 4 stars for ending the franchise so well :)

Post #: 119
The Book was better - 19/7/2011 8:32:47 PM   
angel503

i was soo excited for the last installment of harry potter but it was a disappointment for me, i have read all 7 books and seen all films, i loved the last book it was perfect, the battle was planned, the emotions were kept ongoing throughout the battle clearly and i loved it. But when i saw the film it was a huge let down because the book was so much better. the battle wasnt planned well, too much information got left out of the film and it was just too different, but saying this i did love the film and cried at the emotional parts especially at the music, Alexandre Desplat did an amazing job. i award this film 4 stars for ending the franchise so well :)

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: everything I expected & more Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI