Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Empire Sellout. . .

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Empire Sellout. . . Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire Sellout. . . - 11/7/2011 6:31:56 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Back to the film, anyone heard whether it's worth seeing in 3D or not?

A few reviews I've read have said the 3D isn't much cop.

Yeah, its terrible. It reminded me of a lenticular magazine cover.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 61
3*** for the franchise as a whole - Didn't set the worl... - 11/7/2011 8:41:31 PM   
bobbyperu

At long last Harry Potter limps over the finish line out of shape and worst for wear - Give it a few years and they will be quickly forgotten -

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
RE: 3*** for the franchise as a whole - Didn't set the ... - 12/7/2011 11:58:27 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobbyperu

At long last Harry Potter limps over the finish line out of shape and worst for wear - Give it a few years and they will be quickly forgotten -

No they won't.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to bobbyperu)
Post #: 63
Goodbye Potter - 12/7/2011 2:01:46 PM   
bereski

great series, 11 years of my life.

Post #: 64
RE: Goodbye Potter - 12/7/2011 2:54:18 PM   
Helen OHara

Ah yes, I didn't really mention the 3D. It's OK, it's not intrusive, and certainly when I saw it the film wasn't fatally dark, which was my main worry about the 3Dification of this one given how much of it happens overnight. But it's not a massive plus either. It's just fine - although when I saw it the third time I was in the front row, and from that close there was a slight aura, like a heat-shimmer, in a couple of scenes.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to bereski)
Post #: 65
RE: 3*** for the franchise as a whole - Didn't set the ... - 12/7/2011 5:22:07 PM   
Swedle

by who? it will be written, if not into the pages of history, most certainly the memories of everyone who has grown up with the books and films...

(in reply to bobbyperu)
Post #: 66
RE: Goodbye Potter - 12/7/2011 5:24:11 PM   
Swedle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

Ah yes, I didn't really mention the 3D. It's OK, it's not intrusive, and certainly when I saw it the film wasn't fatally dark, which was my main worry about the 3Dification of this one given how much of it happens overnight. But it's not a massive plus either. It's just fine - although when I saw it the third time I was in the front row, and from that close there was a slight aura, like a heat-shimmer, in a couple of scenes.

i'm not a fan of 3D, it gives me a headache for some reason, but the only midnight showing at my local cinema is in 3D so i'll have to watch it because i'm just that (sad) cool

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 67
RE: Goodbye Potter - 12/7/2011 6:02:07 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

3Dification

Assuming that's a word Helen, it just took me about 3 goes to try and say it.

If the 3D doesn't add anything, I'd rather not bother. Annoyingly at my local cinema it's on 2 screens in 3D and only on 1 screen in 2D. The demand probably dictates, sadly.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 68
Awesome in spite of hastely told story - 13/7/2011 3:13:17 PM   
Signe

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 is awesome! I laughed, shuddered and wept and was excited and enchanted! Only problem is the time: They have skipped a lot of important things from the book, and the things they do deal with, we just sporadically see without dwelling on it. It made the movie rushed and less moving than it could or should have been. But it is a beautiful film with an impressive balance between drama, action and humor! I have to go see it again! (mostly to hear Rickman say the word "E. .. qually" again! EARGASM!)

Post #: 69
RE: Looking good. - 13/7/2011 10:33:00 PM   
jamesianosborne

Anyone else think Empire should do something profound and drop the whole Star Rating system and just have a review that culminates in a short verdict (like they actually do). Then viewers can decide if this opinion actually makes them want to see it and/or agree with their review. Rather than the masses moaning about ratings.

Incidentally I tend to judge the ratings thusly:-

1 Star, few movies get this, so it must be pretty shit

2, 3 and (even) 4 Stars, Middle of the road treading on eggshells review, usually meaning if you like the genre/actor/franchise you will probably enjoy the film, and if you really want to hate it there will be plenty of reason to.

5 Stars, few movies get 5, so it must be worth a look.

Anyone agree?

< Message edited by jamesianosborne -- 13/7/2011 10:35:12 PM >

"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage."

(in reply to spideed2)
Post #: 70
RE: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - 14/7/2011 1:49:34 AM   
Evil.Groovy.Ash

Well for a big finale, this franchise sadly goes out on a whimper. The films have been declining since 'Half Blood Prince' and this one does nothing to stop that fall. For something that was built up to be the big battle ending, nothing really happens. It just goes by. The only really moment where you actually feel something is the Snape flashback, but that still feels under cooked. I've never read the books and to me it even feels like there is a lot of subplot missing. To go through 11yrs and to end on this is a real real shame. It's probably a good job that the films are ending, cause the rot feels like it's set in to stay. And apparently they had to re-shoot the ending with the ageing process because it didn't look right first time. It doesn't look right this time. They all look exactly the same as usually. Except Ginny. They've given her a lard arse. With age comes booty.

last five films watched:

Bridemaids 2/5
Transformers 3 3/5
Green Lantern 1/5
X-Men First Class 3/5
Hangover 2 1/5

Post #: 71
- 14/7/2011 4:44:12 PM   
bobbyperu

These films may have made vast amounts of money but none are memorable - They have become one big indistinguishable mass - Films that are remembered are distinctive - This is why Potter will be forgotten in a very short space of time - Out of sight out of mind -

Post #: 72
- 14/7/2011 9:51:04 PM   
TheGodfather

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2
With today`s release of the second film of the seventh and last book The Deathly Hallows came an end to ten years of Harry Potter films.
This film starts were part one ended and so we go on our way to La Grande Finale

It`s become a film that, even more than part 1, is filled to the brim with tension, excitement and (especially) sentiment. The film looks gorgeous, the acting performances luckily now aren`t one of the letdowns of the films and the musical score from hero Alexandre Desplat makes a great addition to the images on the screen and add a great deal to the films` dark atmosphere.

Never does it get boring, Yates keeps his audience focussed at all times.
The only downside is the fact that that aforementioned Grande Finale is over too soon. It felt like there was more in there and that there could`ve been done more with that.

But that is the only minor thing that can be said of the final Wizard Boy film. People who complained that the films are too childish will probably have to revisited that opinion after they`ve seen this instalment: in their last film Harry and his friends have finally grown up and that shows.
It is a more than worthy final part to one of the most popular film franchises of recent years.

9,0/10

Post #: 73
RE: 3*** for the franchise as a whole - Didn't set the ... - 15/7/2011 3:54:08 AM   
mblaze

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobbyperu

Years from now, they'll ask, "Harry Potter...after all this time?"

And I'll say, "Always"

(in reply to bobbyperu)
Post #: 74
RE: - 15/7/2011 4:04:31 AM   
TheFuzz_1989

The final instalment in the Harry Potter franchise has a lot of pressure on it. To wrap up a series of films that millions love, to conclude the story that people have grown up and matured with, is no easy feat. This film delivers, offering a grande finale to the series that surpasses everything that has come before in sheer spectacle. The Battle of Hogwarts was appropriately epic and action-packed, and yet where this film really excels is in it's quieter moments.

In particular, Snape's tale is emotional and better-executed than in the book. Alan Rickman really has the chance to shine in this film, fully fleshing out Snape and making us empathise with someone whom most have despised.
But, as many have said, the film really is Harry's, everything is from his perspective, and unlike the other movies when information was fed to him, he really takes command, and Daniel Radcliffe certainly delivers. The same goes for all of the young actors, their performances are greatly improved and are no longer a detracting factor, and almost every key character gets a moment.

Surprisingly, the weakness of the film is not in the emotional moments, but rather in the action itself. There is a huge buildup to the Battle of Hogwarts, and yet we only see tiny little snippets, and never really get the feeling that a battle is happening. Personally I would have liked to see more of the older magicians fighting it out, instead we only get Molly Weasley's moment (which itself is rushed) and that's all we see of the adults duelling. There was so much more buildup to this grand battle that the film never quite delivers on it's promise. Seeing as this film is the shortest of the lot, I don't see why they could have added in more moments of the characters battling it out, not just Harry.

These criticisms are only minor detracting points of a film that certainly lives up to expectations and offers sentiment for all of the fans, myself included, that stuck around the whole way. It brings to a close a series that captured a generation and will continue to captivate generations to come who will rediscover this brilliant franchise of book and film.
Farewell, then, Harry Potter, it's been a nice eleven years.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 75
A mediocre film franchise for mediocre people... - 15/7/2011 4:11:13 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

...written by a mediocre writer
. Filled with hasbeen Britsh actors just looking for a payday. Good ridance to alot of old rot.

Post #: 76
The 2nd Finale - 15/7/2011 8:10:34 AM   
chri819

The Harry Potter franchise has become a household name to many teenagers and young adults so as TheFuzz_1989 said this last film was under pressure to finish a series that many people loved and grew up with. The emotional tension and the battle scenes were much looked forward to by readers and lovers of the book and personally, i think that the film did a far job with the story and concepts. Sure there were some down points but overall it was an enjoyable.

I went to the Australian premire of the movie and found it much more enjoyable to watch with fellow potter heads. I also went with my dad who had never picked up a hp book in his life. When i talked to him about the film he found the story very confusing and long winded, rather I (who's read all the books and practically lived with hp) found the movie very moving and gripping which i thought was an interesting comparison.

I also found in this film that the supporting roles of Ron and Hermoine where not as used as much as in the other films. I think there was much more emphasis on the relationship between Harry and Voldermort. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but I personally would've liked a bit more of a part given to them.

The only part of the film that i thought was lacking was the battle scene in Hogwarts. As TheFuzz_1989 said there was a lot of build up towards that scene but not much footage of the battle itself. And most of this was very rushed, for example the battle between Molly and Bellatrix was over with 5 strokes of a wand.

Overall it was a great ending to a brilliant series however I would strongly recommend that you read the books and watch the other films first to get an idea of what the story is all about.

4/5

"I've Always Wanted To Use That Spell!!" - Mievera Mogonagal

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 77
RE: A mediocre film franchise for mediocre people... - 15/7/2011 8:18:16 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

. Filled with hasbeen Britsh actors just looking for a payday. Good ridance to alot of old rot.

Of all the waiting, the reviews, the gossip and the trailers, it was the articulate and accurate review above that I was waiting for.
I'm going to cancel my tickets now.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 78
RE: A mediocre film franchise for mediocre people... - 15/7/2011 8:24:12 AM   
TheFuzz_1989

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

Of all the waiting, the reviews, the gossip and the trailers, it was the articulate and accurate review above that I was waiting for.
I'm going to cancel my tickets now.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 79
RE: A mediocre film franchise for mediocre people... - 15/7/2011 8:26:21 AM   
chri819

what i dont inderstand is how they can be has been actors if they're only 17!!

"I've Always Wanted To Use That Spell!!" - Mievera Mogonagal

Post #: 80
RE: A mediocre film franchise for mediocre people... - 15/7/2011 9:33:14 AM   
jmebaby25

Saw it at a midnight screening last night/this morning.

Very disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it looked spectacular. They've done a stellar job with the effects and the battle of Hogwarts is well played out. However, the pacing of the film is all wrong. Yates has adapted a quite poorly written final book, but the movie is a mess as far as the plot is concerned.

This is particularly bad seeing how Yates (who I've thought has been excellent with the franchise) took two films to convert the book. I'm unsure of the logic of having Harry, Ron and Hermione sat in a tent for 2 hours in the first film, yet rushing through part 2 in a panic trying to fit everything in. The number of characters who simply walk on screen to deliver a bit of exposition and then walk off was crazy.

I lauded the three leads in part 1, bearing in mind it was mostly the three of them on screen together for the whole film, because that they gave great performances. Not sure what went wrong here though in part 2. All three (not so much Grint) seemed wooden and Watson basically appeared relieved the franchise was drawing to a close.

They've had 7 films (particularly part 2) to talk about how wands work and why in particular some wands won't work great in the wrong hands. This was dreadfully handled and I wonder how much sense the film would make if you've not read the novels. Also, bearing in mind that Potter and co. struggled to get into Hogwarts, it seems odd that they blink and suddenly every tom, dick and harry is there with them. Including Percy Weasley.

Anyways, it's a mess as far as the script is concerned, but it looked very pretty. Also, the number of dead small children lying around was admirable - it successfully gave the impression of what was at stake.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to chri819)
Post #: 81
VERY, VERY CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR - 15/7/2011 9:49:26 AM   
ramseyrocks

TOTALLY agree with the Empire review. I saw this film last night as a Deathly Hallows Double Bill which was part of my local cinemas 'A Potter Film A Night' and seeing the whole series this week I have to say they did the series justice except one subtle chance in the finale that 90% of reviewers across the world didn't even notice.

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT!!!

In the climatic duel of the novel (the series, even) Harry tells Voldemort many interesting things as they circle each other, and he tries to get him to feel some remorse for what heís done. Voldemort, of course, doesnít believe anything Harry tells him, and when the spell is finally cast he himself dies because he is using the Elder Wand, and the wand can not kill its master, who is Harry. Therefore the spell rebounded on Voldemort, killing him instantly. itís over in a moment. Voldemort is dead, and Harry is left alive, the true master of the Elder Wand.

The key moment of that duel was giving him a chance to repent, a chance to become GOOD again Ė that Voldemort refusing and being killed by his rebounding curse is like him being defeated at his own hand, his own unremorseless evil coming back on him. In the movie Harry just vanquishes him after all the horcruxes that kept Voldemort invincible have been destroyed. This I believe makes the movie version of Harry a less heroic character than his original book version.

< Message edited by ramseyrocks -- 15/7/2011 9:50:22 AM >

Post #: 82
RE: VERY, VERY CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR - 15/7/2011 10:02:21 AM   
JIm R

Enough about HP, is the TDKR trailer attached ?

< Message edited by JIm R -- 15/7/2011 10:39:19 AM >

(in reply to ramseyrocks)
Post #: 83
RE: VERY, VERY CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR - 15/7/2011 11:21:36 AM   
ramseyrocks

Yes it, is and it was AWESOME! The Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows on on it too

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 84
RE: VERY, VERY CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR - 15/7/2011 11:24:51 AM   
JIm R

Is is the one being circulated a fake or it is the real deal ?

(in reply to ramseyrocks)
Post #: 85
Good ending - 15/7/2011 12:22:55 PM   
shady_88

Good ending, but that is all. Better than The Deathly Hallows part 1 and much better than Harry Potter 6

Post #: 86
OK - 15/7/2011 2:54:55 PM   
skeletonjack

This could and should have been so much better. For me the problem has always been David Yates, as in my opinion his films have been easily the weakest in the series. There is so much missed oppotrunity here. The battles are ok, but nothing grand or epic, remember how exhilarating the battles were in LOTR: the spectacle, the excitement: this doesn't even come close to that level of filmmaking. We are briefly shown the giant spiders during the battles, but so much more could have been done. Also, for such a big production, there were some considerably ropey CG effects, the flying sequences and CG trolls for example.
Overall it's decent film, but I only wish a better director had been employed to carry it out. For those who are interested, I saw the 2-D version, and if you're toying between the two I can't see that the 3-D would add anything to the film so save your money.
3 stars

< Message edited by skeletonjack -- 15/7/2011 3:12:00 PM >

Post #: 87
RE: VERY, VERY CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR - 15/7/2011 2:58:03 PM   
skeletonjack

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Is is the one being circulated a fake or it is the real deal ?

The DKR teaser attached is the same bootleg one I saw on the you tube the other day. Naturally it plays far better on the big screen, but is a bit underwhelming as it doesn't really show anything. I was surprised they didn't wait until they had a bit more footage before cutting the teaser. No doubt the film will be awesome, but the teaser is a bit pointless.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 88
Strange but... - 15/7/2011 3:27:19 PM   
keatsmeister

For a film that has been split in two to fit in as much as possible, it still felt at times that crucial moments were hurried to fit a pace that seemed slightly off, and to keep the length down. Moments like the reunion with the DA, Hagrid's role, and to an extent the Gringott's scene were dealt almost a disservice in favour of some elements which have been added in. It looks spectacular, and I would consider that the 3D version is only worthwhile if you really want it - it really didn't feel as polished as some other 3D efforts. There were genuinely brilliant pieces, I actually began to moisten up a little in one scene with Harry, the impending sense of tragedy, duty and inevitability playing across Daniel Radcliffe's face beautifully, as he finally realises what must happen. If ever there was a case for the full 4 hour extended cut, it must surely be this film.

Post #: 89
everything I expected & more - 15/7/2011 5:40:59 PM   
megank13

I LOVED IT! having read the book, the bits that were changed were mildly annoying, but they were changed for the drama or whatever & because JK Rowling was a producer on this film, I love it even more! I blubbered like a baby during the scenes for Snape- in the pensieve, & when Harry goes into the forest & when we see Fred is dead! Beautiful film, magical, phenomenal & I think they could have done with a little bit extra on other parts of the film, like the kids of Harry etc, but I LOVED IT

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Empire Sellout. . . Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI