Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

John Carter (2012)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> John Carter (2012) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
John Carter (2012) - 6/7/2011 8:33:42 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: John Carter - 4/11/2011 4:08:39 PM   
Timon

I am very surprised that considering the level of talent involved in the film and the source material, this film isn't generating more discussion. The trailer was cool, the story has epic scope and it's Andrew Stanton doing live action!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 2
RE: John Carter - 4/11/2011 4:12:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

I honestly don't know what to make of that trailer. It certainly hasn't interested me. Mars looks so flat and uninteresting. Oh. Monument Valley, haven't seen that before!

It comes off as Prince of Persia 2: The Sands of Mars or something. Maybe a longer trailer will help, but at the moment, it all looks so uninspired.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: John Carter - 14/11/2011 12:20:37 PM   
Timon

I like that it's real-world locations though. I think it'll look much better than if it was simply a CGI Mars which we've seen hundreds of times before.

I want it to look like an actual planet and place, not a green screen set.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2011/nov/14/disney-john-carter-adaptation-film?newsfeed=true

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 4
RE: John Carter - 14/11/2011 12:44:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

The problem with that is we have seen Mars for real. It holds no great secrets visually. I look at the test animation done in the 1930s and they had these great looking skies, coloured like the inside of your eye when you close your eyelid. They needed to bring something like that to the table - make it more fantastical. At the moment it looks like Prince of Cowboys and Aliens. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: John Carter - 14/11/2011 1:29:12 PM   
Timon

It's a double edged sword, You go more fantastical, people will say it doesn't look like Mars and it'll amplify the ridiculous "oh it's a rip off of Avatar" comments.

I think Stanton knows what he's doing. At least, I hope he does.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 6
RE: John Carter - 10/12/2011 8:43:01 PM   
princessa

I've seen the trailer.  It looks ok i'm mainly interested in it because of James Purefoy.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: John Carter - 27/1/2012 9:44:12 AM   
Vadersville

Saw the trailer for this last night (oddly enough, in front of Underowlrd 4), the opening bit looks like an exact rip of the Geonosian arean scenes in Attack of the Clones! I couldn't believe it how blatant it was. Then the music used on the Matrix trailer kicked in and it started to show bits that reminded me of everyting from Flash Gordon to Avatar. Biggest pile of balls I've seen advertised in a long time.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 8
RE: John Carter - 27/1/2012 10:21:44 AM   
Invader_Ace

You know part of the reason for that is that Flash Gordon and Avatar are the great desendants of Princess of Mars.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 9
RE: John Carter - 27/1/2012 10:55:54 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Cant wait! This and wrath of the titans are my most looked forward to movies this year!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 10
RE: John Carter - 27/1/2012 11:35:29 AM   
Marwood

I'm interested but what's been released so far is pretty underwhelming - effects, design etc all look fine but nothing that doesn't echo stuff that's been seen before. I agree that because the Carter novels have influenced a lot of sci-fi/fantasy over the years the filmmakers have been beaten to it with certain elements or designs lifted from the novels' descriptions/concepts and cribbed by other filmmakers.

One thing I keep wondering (and appreciate this sounds kind of stupid) is why the Mars surface doesn't have more of a red hue. The landscape and sky just look like Utah and are hardly "other worldly" - like others have said the arena business just instantly evokes an Attack of The Clones look but with even less of an "alien" world feel. I haven't read them but was that a point of the novels? That Mars was essentially like Earth and that was a big surprise to Carter?

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 11
RE: John Carter - 27/1/2012 3:59:47 PM   
Sotto Voce

Seems to me the landscapes are too bland and the alien creatures aren't believable enough.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 12
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 9:42:58 AM   
Proudfoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BxeHQY1NuM

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 13
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 10:16:59 AM   
Mojo

Saw a five minute 3D snippet of this in front of Journey 2 last night and it was pretty good. The effects looked great. I know very little about the book and am going into this as a fan of this kind of movie, but looking forward to it.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 14
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 10:20:32 AM   
Discodez

Saw the trailer for this when I went to see Chronicle the other night and my only thought was "what the fuck?...."

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 15
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 11:10:00 AM   
hozay

The trailer looks alright. I'm not really an Edgar Rice Burrows fan but I'd like to see this.
I went to see The Grey a few days ago and only noticed as I came out that John Carter was screening at the same theatre (on another screen). If I'd realised I might have gone to see that instead.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 16
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 11:21:10 AM   
musht

I'm sorry but they have a clip of a man painted blue making a motivational, uplifting speech. I know it's based on a book made years ago but people see that clip they're only going to be thinking "well, that's just a rip off of Avatar".

I don't think it looks that good

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 17
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 11:33:22 AM   
pixelcat

I thought the landscape looked good...but the rest just made me go 'Meh'. Didn't know it was being produced by Disney but when that 3D castle appeared I groaned. Needless to say, there's no hope in this film IMO. And knowing me being a purist, I'll probably critique the film in every single way. Which is a shame because I like Andrew Stanton.

Thought the protagonist was that Home&Away Australian fella that plays THOR. Didn't know him and Taylor Kitch look so similar!

Currently I have more interest in Chronicle and The Grey! But who knows, maybe when the film's released and gets good reviews I may consider watching it.

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 18
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 1:31:41 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So what's the verdict? is this going to bomb, hit big, or fall somewhere in between? I can't believe how awful and poorly thought out the marketing has been, particularly the posters. It's almost as if Disney don't care. This is still my most looked forward to movie after Wrath of the Titans though

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to pixelcat)
Post #: 19
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 3:46:07 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So what's the verdict? is this going to bomb, hit big, or fall somewhere in between? I can't believe how awful and poorly thought out the marketing has been, particularly the posters. It's almost as if Disney don't care. This is still my most looked forward to movie after Wrath of the Titans though

This was right at the top of my most anticipated list a couple of years back. Right up there... then I actually saw images and footage and I was really underwhelmed. It all looks so uninspired and bland at this point!

I know its a big deal in terms of the source material but so many films seem to have played on this kind of imagery and these themes that it is hard to get excited about it. I hope it lands to good reviews as I have a lot of time for Stanton. But its just not working for me... on what Ive seen.

I think lot will just look at it as Avatar in a desert. Which to be honest, the marketing suggests.

But Im not familiar with the book, so hopefully there is a lot in there to set it apart that the film makers have tapped into.

Shouldn't have dropped the 'of Mars' though. Who called that one...

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 20
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 3:51:02 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

Shouldn't have dropped the 'of Mars' though. Who called that one...

Yeah, it's daft really. I reckon people see the title and think "What is this, the prequel to Coach Carter?".

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 21
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 3:58:03 PM   
Olaf

I had no idea Michael Chabon co-wrote the script for this. That's kind of cool. (even if the film is probably rubbish.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 22
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 4:22:04 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I had no idea Michael Chabon co-wrote the script for this. That's kind of cool. (even if the film is probably rubbish.)

Chabon's very much half literary giant, half geeky fanboy.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 23
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 4:36:25 PM   
Olaf

Yeah absolutely - something like Kavalier & Clay is obviously written by someone with a lot of affection for the material/massive nerd. and The Yiddish Policemen's Union is magnificent as well as being a great piece of genre fiction.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 24
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 4:44:03 PM   
st3veebee

I can't see this doing well at the BO. Don't think it will be a huge flop...but:

-Poor lead actor

-Too much jumping

-Meh FX and FAR too much of them.

-Never heard of it until it was greenlit.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 25
RE: John Carter - 23/2/2012 5:26:06 PM   
Spaldron

Will probably end up this years turkey tbh. Seen the trailer a few times on the big screen and I just cant take it seriously enough to get excited, regardless of the source material. It just looks like a massive Avatar, AOTC and Prince of Persia knock off. And yes they shouldn't have changed the title, stupid decision.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 26
RE: John Carter (2012) - 24/2/2012 4:34:07 PM   
Timon

So according to assorted Empire writers on The Twitter... it's really good.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 27
RE: John Carter (2012) - 24/2/2012 6:06:58 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Pretty much everyone who's seen it had been giving it a thumbsup on Twitter already, but good to see that it won over Chris, Helen and Kim.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: John Carter (2012) - 24/2/2012 7:00:15 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Well that's interesting, if it is then the trailer isn't doing it any favours.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: John Carter (2012) - 24/2/2012 7:34:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

I thought the short teaser trailer i watched made it look intriguing.Its refreshing that a big blockbuster type movie doesnt give everything away up front for a change.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> John Carter (2012) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI