Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 25/7/2011 2:20:28 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

quote:

Apple are promoting the ipad as a handheld PC!

But I don't think they are. They are promoting it as a Post-PC device. It's never going to do anywhere near as much as your average PC can but how many people use there computers to their full potential? I think that the average user could do most of the things they do on a computer on an iPad.

My parents for example use their computer for the internet, music and a few personal budget spreadsheets. They paid over £1,000 for a new computer and yet they could have got an iPad for £399 and got just as much use out of it. For people like them they don't understand codecs, downloading plug-ins etc the iPad would have been more than enough.

Good point, but don't you need a computer with iTunes on it anyway to get your music onto onto the iPad and just gernally manage it?

Correct.

Hence it is called a companion piece. And I repeat they are great as a toy though, although i can do everything an Ipad does on my phone hence i rarely touch mine at home (also its hard to get my 6 year old off it playing lil pirates and sonic racing). Yet I use my netbook all the time.

I guess its horses for courses but i maintain that the HP DM1Z is a far better value proposition if you are looking for a more rounded device.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 31
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 26/7/2011 12:09:09 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I've seen this "APPLE IS CONTROLLING WHAT YOU USE YOUR COMPUTER FOR" line reeled out a million times, but what does it actually mean? What, and a specific example would be nice, have Apple stopped me from doing on my iPhone or computers? Because, and I say this as a Mac user of over 12 years, I have never not been able to do something that I've wanted to do with any of my devices. People go on about iOS and OSX being closed platforms, but what does that really mean to the end user? Just what is this mythical land of complete freedom that I'm apparently missing out on? I'm genuinely intrigued, especially when terms like "limitless" are thrown around.

Well I can't program on an ipad for one.

Can you add codecs to your ipad to play music and videos?

Download anything from any website?

Install games/software/transfer items from a DVD-ROM?

Use USB peripherals?

These are just everyday things I'm thinking about.

I was actually referring to Apple devices in general, as opposed to an iPad, as I've heard the "Apple is controlling what you do with your computer" line reeled out forever, and, as I said in my original comment, I've never actually felt limited by using Mac's.

Re-your iPad points, and ignoring the fact that they're very much different devices to regular computers -

I don't programme. No one is claiming an iPad is a tool for such things. I don't class computer programming as a "casual" computer activity. I can run my wordpress website completely through an iPad tho, which is as complex an activity as my computer usage gets. Oh, and John Lasseter, just directed part of Cars 2 using a couple of specially designed iPad apps too - http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-ca-pixar-20110619,0,7238934.story

I don't know what a codec is. You can play music and videos on an iPad tho.

There's a USB adaptor for the iPad (for cameras). Not sure what sort of peripheral you'd want/need to plug in to an iPad tho.

Re-Games. The iPad has its own games platform. Said game platform won't run on a Windows PC (ergo, by your reckoning, that should count as a negative against Windows PC's, as its something they're incapable of doing that the iPad can). That the iPad can't directly interact with a DVD-rom drive is like complaining that my television can't interact with my microwave.

quote:

Anyway, why are you comparing a 15" laptop with a tablet anyway? I have a 15" Macbook Pro, and its not convenient to carry around on normal trips, or to use on public transport, or in a cafe, or in any other number of other scenarios.

Er, that's precisely what laptops are for.

It's not convenient tho, which is what I actually said. Unpacking my 15" Macbook on a bus is nowhere near as convenient as using a tablet device.

At the end of the day, iPad/Tablet device are different to laptop computers.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 26/7/2011 12:14:53 AM >

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 32
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 23/8/2011 9:09:10 AM   
Sinatra

I'm very happy to say that I love my Ipad2.

It's just great fun... I think that sums it up perfectly.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 33
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 23/8/2011 9:14:56 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I my iPad2 as well. Got one about 3 weeks ago and it's brilliant.

It's not a replacement for my PC but it's just handy to have, particularly when travelling

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 34
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 23/8/2011 11:30:57 AM   
shool

anyone heard about the HP Touchpad? Been discontinued 6 weeks into its launch and selling for rock bottom prices.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/22/hp-touchpad-sale

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 35
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 23/8/2011 11:49:54 AM   
Sinatra

Blimey, there can only be one reason that they are so cheap though? surely?

If you can squeeze the cash get an Ipad.... probably worth waiting until the new IPAD2 version is released now though.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 36
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 23/8/2011 12:19:17 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Does this effectively mean the game is over? This isn't a mature market and I think most consumers see it as Apple & other stuff. Most of the "other stuff" is new to the market and if I were a consumer I'd be pushed to have confidence in buying one of them, given that HP have binned their product after less than 2 months.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 37
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 23/8/2011 12:21:03 PM   
shool

Plus Windows 8 is coming out next year which looks great.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 38
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 23/8/2011 6:46:28 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

This made me smile

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 39
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 24/8/2011 10:08:26 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Blimey, there can only be one reason that they are so cheap though? surely?

If you can squeeze the cash get an Ipad.... probably worth waiting until the new IPAD2 version is released now though.

Isn't it because HP have knocked hardware on the head now they've purchased this new company and decided to focus purely on software/OS stuff?  Either way, seems a bit daft to lose all that money on a brand new product!

I hope that not all the tablet competition dies a death.  That, to me, would kind of make the "tablet" lose credibility as a platform in it's own right and just prove it to be an oversized addition to the Apple iPod family.

Almost tempted by a Touchpad at that price...Obviously wouldn't have much in the way of apps but in terms of media and shit on the go it might be less restrictive and multi format friendly than the iPad?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 40
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 15/9/2011 10:14:03 AM   
Sleazy

Plus... Android for Touchpad is immenent.

You'll be lucky to find a touchpad now though at that price, the firesale whipped up a frenzy and most places sold out in hours.

I missed it but luckily HP is shipping 6000 more units over for its staff at £69 a pop and guess who I work for? I have ordered 2.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 41
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 15/9/2011 9:11:04 PM   
Super Hans

Meh...to be honest, a tablet remains unnecessary for me, whatever the price.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 42
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 16/9/2011 8:39:50 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

quote:

This made me smile

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/13/sorry-apple-windows-8-ushers-in-the-post-post-pc-era/

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 43
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 14/10/2011 4:48:40 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

So with the October release of the new iPhone are we looking at a June launch of the iPad 3/Mini next year? Have Apple created a 6-8 month window between alternative releases?

I want an iPad 3....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 44
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 19/2/2012 8:40:53 PM   
Professor Moriarty

So, I've managed to get approval from work to complement my Dell laptop and my iPhone with a tablet.

At the moment I'm torn between an iPad and the Sony S. Any advice would be welcome.

For work purposes, I'll mostly want to use email (Microsoft), CRM (Microsoft), view pdf, PowerPoint, Word and Excel documents and browse the web. It would also be cool if I could use Adobe Connect.

Outside of work I'd like to listen mp3s, watch avis, subscribe to magazines, read books and surf the web.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

EDIT: just discovered Skyfire, that has got me through one of my Apple holdbacks, for Flash on websites.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 19/2/2012 9:17:43 PM >

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 45
RE: The iPad - 19/2/2012 9:29:17 PM   
gingerdaniel

I didn't think you can use CRM outside Internet Explorer, i know i can't use it on firefox or chrome at work (what a pain in the ass)

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 46
RE: The iPad - 20/2/2012 9:41:04 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Skyfire is also pretty lame, they're constantly updating and improving their servers and their conversion side of things but i'm yet to find a single flash video that'll play.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 47
RE: The iPad - 20/2/2012 1:11:45 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Well, I can see how Apple are getting market share in this area now. As I've just ordered one.

As a relative technophobe, Sony, or any other tablet maker hasn't provided me with enough easy to access material for me to confidently understand what their product offers that I can't get in an iPad. So, ergonomically it might be nicer, it may also change the channel on my TV, but luckily I have a remote for that. I'm buying an iPad as that seems the safe decision to make, i.e. I know lots of people who have one and recommend it.

If I'm a typical consumer right now an alternative has to really offer big price benefits (though its my company paying, so that's not highest on my list), and/or they really need to do a lot more marketing to make people like me aware of why I should not buy Apple (assuming that I'm relatively brand neutral and would not look to buy or not buy an Apple or other brand just based on this). Another easy win for Apple.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 48
RE: The iPad - 20/2/2012 1:50:49 PM   
shool

It will be Autumn when Microsoft fight back with the release of Windows 8.

Personally I cant wait. I do like my Ipad, but I find it a bit limited so always end up jumping onto my laptop.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 49
RE: The iPad - 20/2/2012 6:05:50 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

Personally I cant wait. I do like my Ipad, but I find it a bit limited so always end up jumping onto my laptop.

What can't you do on the iPad?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 50
RE: The iPad - 20/2/2012 6:59:20 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

Question should be what can you do on the iPad.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 51
RE: The iPad - 20/2/2012 8:13:13 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

Question should be what can you do on the iPad.

Don't care loving it. Bloody iPhone screen looks tiny now though

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 52
RE: The iPad - 20/2/2012 8:42:16 PM   
gingerdaniel

There's an apple announcement on 7th March, the ipad3 is expected to be announced... http://www.macrumors.com/

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 53
RE: The iPad - 21/2/2012 9:38:10 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Yep, I'm already prepping my iPad 2 for eBay in order to fund my iPad 3, which will no doubt be out next month.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 54
RE: The iPad - 16/4/2012 9:33:24 PM   
mightybeansprout

Is anybody having trouble using the forum through safari on iPad 3? Im having trouble with the tabs, when I open the forum thread I want I read away and that's fine. Then I see a post I want to reply to, I hit reply and a new tab opens with the reply to message box. I type my reply and hit ok. Now this is where things get messy. When I hit ok the original tab I was reading the thread in closes and disappears, I'm then left with the reply posted screen with option to view post or return to forum. Hitting either of these options then closes that tab leaving me with a blank safari tab? I've played around with the safari options but there doesn't seem to be anything to sort out the problem, has anyone else encountered this problem or am I doing something arseways to cause this?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Smartian rt

You see Doughal, these cows are small, those cows are far away. Small, far away.........

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 55
RE: The iPad - 16/4/2012 11:54:40 PM   
sam89

I'm testing on my iPad now to see if it works.

Edit: Yep, the same thing happened to me as well.

< Message edited by sam89 -- 16/4/2012 11:55:24 PM >

(in reply to mightybeansprout)
Post #: 56
RE: The iPad - 17/4/2012 9:36:44 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: mightybeansprout

Is anybody having trouble using the forum through safari on iPad 3? Im having trouble with the tabs, when I open the forum thread I want I read away and that's fine. Then I see a post I want to reply to, I hit reply and a new tab opens with the reply to message box. I type my reply and hit ok. Now this is where things get messy. When I hit ok the original tab I was reading the thread in closes and disappears, I'm then left with the reply posted screen with option to view post or return to forum. Hitting either of these options then closes that tab leaving me with a blank safari tab? I've played around with the safari options but there doesn't seem to be anything to sort out the problem, has anyone else encountered this problem or am I doing something arseways to cause this?

Yup. Was really getting on my nerves so I've been using Dolphin instead....

Post #: 57
RE: The iPad - 17/4/2012 10:26:35 AM   
mightybeansprout

Forgive my ignorance but what is dolphin, a different browser app? I changed my forum settings from pop up post reply to in line pposting, it seems to have helped a bit! Still pretty annoying tho!

Xbox Live Gamertag: Smartian rt

You see Doughal, these cows are small, those cows are far away. Small, far away.........

Post #: 58
RE: The iPad - 17/4/2012 11:42:02 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Post #: 59
RE: The iPad - 17/4/2012 11:42:54 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Seriously though....

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dolphin-browser-for-ipad/id460812023?mt=8

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI