Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The iPad

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> The iPad Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The iPad - 6/7/2011 1:27:30 PM   
Sinatra

I've got a £300 Comet voucher burning a hole in my pocket.

I love the look of the IPAD so I'm thinking of treating myself.

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 14/10/2011 4:47:00 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 6/7/2011 1:29:58 PM   
matty_b

Jesus, you must have rich relatives to be giving those kinds of presents!

Erm, but to answer your question, I don't.

Sorry.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 2
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 6/7/2011 1:34:00 PM   
Sinatra

hehe, it was for long service to my Bank.

20 years! (though I've done 22 now)

Anyway, there was a long list of shops to redeem them for but I've plumped for Comet!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 6/7/2011 2:02:54 PM   
matty_b

Pfft, you bankers and your bonuses...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 4
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 6/7/2011 2:40:14 PM   
Rob

Yeah I've got one and I absolutely love it.

It's rarely out of my hands when I get home. In fact the other day I was ill and couldn't make it out of bed but kept myself entertained by playing games, reading comics, watching films, reading books all without the need to get up!

Honestly I think it's a stunning bit of kit and can't recommend it highly enough!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 6/7/2011 4:09:50 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Yeah I've got one and I absolutely love it.

It's rarely out of my hands when I get home. In fact the other day I was ill and couldn't make it out of bed but kept myself entertained by playing games, reading comics, watching films, reading books all without the need to get up!

Honestly I think it's a stunning bit of kit and can't recommend it highly enough!

Cool bananas... regarding the movies, you have to buy/download them from i-tunes right? or use digital copies that come with some blu-rays?

I love the Times app... will definitely subscribe to that one.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 6
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 7/7/2011 9:33:23 AM   
Rob

I buy most of my movies from iTunes but I have a few digital copies that came with a Blu Ray and the vast majority work fine. However, when the studios first started doing digital copies not all of them were iTunes compatible. For exmaple I have digital copies of Roc 'n' Rolla and Pineapple Express that iTunes won't recognise. That said I haven't had a problem in the past 18 months / two years.

I haven't bought a newspaper yet but have subscribed to T3 and downloaded a copy of Empire. Both fantastic experiences.

I uhmmed and ahhed about getting one but couldn't be happier with it.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 7
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 8/7/2011 11:37:21 AM   
benmharper

I've got one too. As Rob said, it's a great bit of kit. I use for it all the similar things Rob does and I'm looking forward to the online version of comics starting so I can try the odd title I dont normally collect

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 8
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 13/7/2011 7:55:09 PM   
Marky_Mark

Work kindly bought me one to use but I've kidnapped it for my own and it's rarely more than 2ft away from me (at work or home). I honestly couldn't recommend it enough.

Brilliant bit of kit- I use it for web browsing, gaming, keeping up to date on my social networks, email...you name it. I travel a lot with work so it's great for killing time, whether it be playing a game, listening to music/podcasts or watching TV shows and movies. In work it's a genuine replacement laptop and I use it for presentations and key meetings- I was pitching to a client the other day and used my iPad to capture some ideas with them there and then. They behaved like a bunch of kids when handling it....very interesting how it seems to create this atmosphere of curiosity and innovation.

I sometimes buy or rent movies from iTunes but sometimes I'll use an application like Skysoft DVD ripper to rip one of my own DVDs into an iPad compatible format.

Enough of me rambling - go get one!

< Message edited by Marky_Mark -- 13/7/2011 7:58:54 PM >

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 9
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 13/7/2011 9:15:43 PM   
directorscut

Junk. 

Why the hell anyone would want to spend £500 + on a computer that has specs outdated by at least five years is beyond me.

Spend that money on a real computer/laptop.  You'll get ten times as much bang for your buck.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 10
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 14/7/2011 12:45:15 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Junk. 

Why the hell anyone would want to spend £500 + on a computer that has specs outdated by at least five years is beyond me.

Spend that money on a real computer/laptop.  You'll get ten times as much bang for your buck.

Firstly, they can be had as cheaply as £399. Secondly, they work in a different manner entirely to a computer, relying on the casual nature of basic activities. Surfing the net on an iPad is an utter joy. I've heard a load of people moaning about how pointless iPad's and their ilk are, but this all stems from people who haven't ever used one. I've yet to hear from anyone who has used one, or who has one that doesn't love it, and isn't converted.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 11
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 14/7/2011 12:49:04 AM   
adambatman82

We have the new Blackberry Playbook in the house, thanks to my missus's work. While no iPad (its severely lacking in App's for one), its a really nice bit of kit, and does everything the casual user would want to do with a regular computer. In fact, I don't think my wife has literally even turned her knackered old MacBook on since she brought the Playbook home last week.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 12
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 14/7/2011 10:44:50 AM   
Rob

quote:

Junk. 

For the reasons explained above! Is a brilliant e-reader, amazing to read comics / magazines / newspapers on and as Adam says surfing the web is just great on it.

It's ultra-portable, has great battery life and at the risk of sounding like a Jobs acolyte it really is a different experience altogether.

Post #: 13
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 19/7/2011 10:01:31 AM   
Marky_Mark

I guess it really depends on your lifestyle. If you're the sort of person who only wants to browse the web/twitter/facebook/watch movies/listen to music whilst in front of a desktop computer, iPad will add nothing to your experience.

If you want to do this (and a number of other things) wherever and whenever you like, iPad is the way forward.

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 14
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 19/7/2011 7:30:47 PM   
gunstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marky_Mark

I guess it really depends on your lifestyle. If you're the sort of person who only wants to browse the web/twitter/facebook/watch movies/listen to music whilst in front of a desktop computer, iPad will add nothing to your experience.

If you want to do this (and a number of other things) wherever and whenever you like, iPad is the way forward.

...or (purely playing devil's advocate here of course) buy a better spec notebook for a fraction of the price.

I like the ipad - it's fun to use and accessible. However, in some aspects, it is incredibly limited.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 15
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 20/7/2011 12:00:59 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar
I like the ipad - it's fun to use and accessible. However, in some aspects, it is incredibly limited.

Such as? What can a notebook do that an iPad can't? And for a "fraction" of £400?

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 16
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 20/7/2011 1:22:10 PM   
Super Hans

I do keep looking at iPads but for me I think they definitely fall into the category of 'luxury plaything that I would use, but don't really need nor can I afford'.  I kow that if I were to get one I'd use it all time, since that's the case with my iPod Touch and HTC Desire, so I fully take the point from those that have one that it's rarely further than arm's length away.  However, as long as I have a desktop PC, laptop, iPod and smartphone, I'd have to be feeling pretty flush to be able to justify buying one.

Just out of interest, on a 16gb version, does anyone know how much memory you have left over once the OS has taken it's cut?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 17
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 20/7/2011 1:50:27 PM   
gunstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Such as? What can a notebook do that an iPad can't? And for a "fraction" of £400?

Just off the top of my head: It can upgrade memory, it can easily run programmes and media from sources other than an exclusive app store, it can have a considerably larger memory capacity, it can run flash, it can have its battery swapped, it can be used to type whilst being on your lap (bit of a pain with the ipad when writing for an extended period of time), it can use a range of OS.

The notebook I most frequently used cost £99 (it was second-hand mind). I think that's about a quarter of the RRP of an ipad?

Don't get me wrong, the ipad is a cool bit of kit but when it comes down to it I already own a machine that meets my needs and is suitably versatile.

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

Post #: 18
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 21/7/2011 4:49:16 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just off the top of my head: It can upgrade memory, it can easily run programmes and media from sources other than an exclusive app store, it can have a considerably larger memory capacity, it can run flash, it can have its battery swapped, it can be used to type whilst being on your lap (bit of a pain with the ipad when writing for an extended period of time), it can use a range of OS.

The notebook I most frequently used cost £99 (it was second-hand mind). I think that's about a quarter of the RRP of an ipad?

Don't get me wrong, the ipad is a cool bit of kit but when it comes down to it I already own a machine that meets my needs and is suitably versatile.

This.

Plus you need a PC to keep an Ipad updated in the first place. I argue a much better value proposition would be the likes of this clicky

I own an Ipad (Mk1) and it is great as a toy but for a much more usable machine I would argue the above is heaps more for a cheaper price.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 19
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 22/7/2011 10:58:49 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

This.

Plus you need a PC to keep an Ipad updated in the first place. I argue a much better value proposition would be the likes of this clicky

I own an Ipad (Mk1) and it is great as a toy but for a much more usable machine I would argue the above is heaps more for a cheaper price.

How many people use a notebook as their main computer tho? Netbooks and iPads are both generally run as complimentary devices.

Plus, if you start messing around with a machine like a netbook you need to factor in software prices, which are going to be the same as regular (expensive) Windows software prices, virus protection and all that rubbish. If I'm going to do that I'd sooner use a regular laptop. An iPad is a casual response to all of this, generally media specific, and very little hassle.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 22/7/2011 10:59:44 PM >

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 20
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 23/7/2011 12:53:22 AM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3002880?start=0&tstart=0

Windows is a (relatively) open platform which allows you to do what you want to do on your computer. The ipad is a closed platform. You can only do on the ipad what Apple allows you to do. So the amount of things a notebook/laptop can do over the ipad is potentially limitless.

Let's compare two products:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Notebook-i3-2310M-Blu-ray-Windows/dp/B004TQQF3W/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311375795&sr=1-6
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPad-Wi-Fi-3G-Bluetooth/dp/B004TWCUYY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1311375834&sr=8-5

Screen Size:

15" vs. 9"

Resolution:

1366x768 vs 1024 x 768

Processor:

2.30GHz vs 1 GHz

RAM:

6GB DDR3 vs 512MB DDR2

Graphics Card:

Intel Integrated HD Graphics 3000 (DX11) vs PowerVR SGX543MP2 (DX9)

Hard Drive:

640DGB vs 64GB

Optical Media Input:

Blu-ray vs Oh, right...

USB Port:

Yes vs WTF is this? 1995?

Upgradable/Expandable:

Yes vs Oh crap, gotta buy the new annual model.

Price:

£510 vs £745

quote:

Plus, if you start messing around with a machine like a netbook you need to factor in software prices, which are going to be the same as regular (expensive) Windows software prices, virus protection and all that rubbish. If I'm going to do that I'd sooner use a regular laptop. An iPad is a casual response to all of this, generally media specific, and very little hassle.

I haven't paid a cent for virus protection and I haven't had a problem with a virus in over ten years, and that's because I was being an idiot. A free product like avast is just as good as an expensive one like Norton.

Nor have I bought "Windows software" because pretty much every computer with Windows comes bundled with all the essential software.

And even if you don't have Word or whatever you can always download free alternatives like openoffice because Windows is an open platform.

Post #: 21
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 23/7/2011 1:21:29 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

Windows is a (relatively) open platform which allows you to do what you want to do on your computer. The ipad is a closed platform. You can only do on the ipad what Apple allows you to do. So the amount of things a notebook/laptop can do over the ipad is potentially limitless.

I've seen this "APPLE IS CONTROLLING WHAT YOU USE YOUR COMPUTER FOR" line reeled out a million times, but what does it actually mean? What, and a specific example would be nice, have Apple stopped me from doing on my iPhone or computers? Because, and I say this as a Mac user of over 12 years, I have never not been able to do something that I've wanted to do with any of my devices. People go on about iOS and OSX being closed platforms, but what does that really mean to the end user? Just what is this mythical land of complete freedom that I'm apparently missing out on? I'm genuinely intrigued, especially when terms like "limitless" are thrown around.

Of course, all of this is all incidental anyway. An iPad is an iPad. People are buying them not for power, but to do a bunch of casual actions in a number of ultra convenient manner and form factor. It does everything it needs to do, and it does those things quickly, in a stable fashion and well.

Anyway, why are you comparing a 15" laptop with a tablet anyway? I have a 15" Macbook Pro, and its not convenient to carry around on normal trips, or to use on public transport, or in a cafe, or in any other number of other scenarios. I understand the comparison between a netbook and an iPad, to an extent (reading a book, magazine and surfing the web on a netbook isn't even comparable to on an iPad), especially if you're trying to put argue the price issue, but to compare a fully fledged computer to an iPad is pointless. And, like I said before, this sort of device is intended as a complimentary device to a "proper" computer, not as a replacement.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 23/7/2011 1:27:03 AM >

Post #: 22
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 24/7/2011 8:26:22 AM   
Castor Troy

Plus, no one has mentioned sharing. When iCloud is released later in the year - everything is going to click into place with Mac's and iOS devices.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

Post #: 23
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 24/7/2011 8:29:14 AM   
gunstar

quote:

It does everything it needs to do, and it does those things quickly, in a stable fashion and well.

...at a massively inflated price in comparison to a netbook which does everything an Ipad does but without certain limitations. This is going round in circles, isn't it?

Post #: 24
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 24/7/2011 2:12:59 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

It does everything it needs to do, and it does those things quickly, in a stable fashion and well.

...at a massively inflated price in comparison to a netbook which does everything an Ipad does but without certain limitations. This is going round in circles, isn't it?

I think it's definately a "different strokes for different folks" sort of thing isn't it? I think if you're looking for something that's essentially like a bigger iPod Touch with some netbook leanings, then fair enough. I'd rather have a notebook though I think.

That said, I'm jealous as fuck of the people whose employers have bought them one....what a blag!

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 25
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 25/7/2011 11:14:13 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

quote:

quote:

I think it's definately a "different strokes for different folks" sort of thing isn't it? I think if you're looking for something that's essentially like a bigger iPod Touch with some netbook leanings, then fair enough. I'd rather have a notebook though I think.

That said, I'm jealous as fuck of the people whose employers have bought them one....what a blag!

This

RE: Viruses
Anti Virus is free.
Windows comes with more security than apple devices. Windows Security Essentials, Bitlocker and Bitlocker to go, Windows Live Family Safety
Plus a recent study shows puts Safari at the top of the list of most vulnerable browsers.

Re: Expensive software
So you would rather pay doble the price for a device to have cheaper software. Thats screwed up economics.
Plus windows platform has by far the biggest choice of free software.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 26
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 25/7/2011 1:27:00 PM   
directorscut

quote:

I've seen this "APPLE IS CONTROLLING WHAT YOU USE YOUR COMPUTER FOR" line reeled out a million times, but what does it actually mean? What, and a specific example would be nice, have Apple stopped me from doing on my iPhone or computers? Because, and I say this as a Mac user of over 12 years, I have never not been able to do something that I've wanted to do with any of my devices. People go on about iOS and OSX being closed platforms, but what does that really mean to the end user? Just what is this mythical land of complete freedom that I'm apparently missing out on? I'm genuinely intrigued, especially when terms like "limitless" are thrown around.

Well I can't program on an ipad for one.

Can you add codecs to your ipad to play music and videos?

Download anything from any website?

Install games/software/transfer items from a DVD-ROM?

Use USB peripherals?

These are just everyday things I'm thinking about.

quote:

Anyway, why are you comparing a 15" laptop with a tablet anyway? I have a 15" Macbook Pro, and its not convenient to carry around on normal trips, or to use on public transport, or in a cafe, or in any other number of other scenarios.

Er, that's precisely what laptops are for.

quote:

I understand the comparison between a netbook and an iPad, to an extent (reading a book, magazine and surfing the web on a netbook isn't even comparable to on an iPad), especially if you're trying to put argue the price issue, but to compare a fully fledged computer to an iPad is pointless. And, like I said before, this sort of device is intended as a complimentary device to a "proper" computer, not as a replacement.

Except:

Apple are promoting the ipad as a handheld PC!

Shouldn't a "complimentary device" be significantly cheaper than the "proper" one? That's like paying more for a cup of tea than a meal!

Post #: 27
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 25/7/2011 1:38:27 PM   
Rob

quote:

But I don't think they are. They are promoting it as a Post-PC device. It's never going to do anywhere near as much as your average PC can but how many people use there computers to their full potential? I think that the average user could do most of the things they do on a computer on an iPad.

My parents for example use their computer for the internet, music and a few personal budget spreadsheets. They paid over £1,000 for a new computer and yet they could have got an iPad for £399 and got just as much use out of it. For people like them they don't understand codecs, downloading plug-ins etc the iPad would have been more than enough.

< Message edited by Rob -- 25/7/2011 1:40:08 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 25/7/2011 1:52:53 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

But I don't think they are. They are promoting it as a Post-PC device. It's never going to do anywhere near as much as your average PC can but how many people use there computers to their full potential? I think that the average user could do most of the things they do on a computer on an iPad.

My parents for example use their computer for the internet, music and a few personal budget spreadsheets. They paid over £1,000 for a new computer and yet they could have got an iPad for £399 and got just as much use out of it. For people like them they don't understand codecs, downloading plug-ins etc the iPad would have been more than enough.

They got fleeced. I could build a hardcore gaming machine for half that.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 29
RE: IPAD 2 - has anyone got one? - 25/7/2011 2:04:41 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

Good point, but don't you need a computer with iTunes on it anyway to get your music onto onto the iPad and just gernally manage it?

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> The iPad Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI