Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 4:24:32 PM   
elab49

You're probably right - the Sun politics editor used to be very highly regarded as well and seeing some of his stuff elsewhere he was a decent writer. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 91
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 4:26:01 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Here is an extract of MP Tom Watson's speech at the commons today

quote:

I want to inform the House of further evidence that suggests Rebekah Brooks knew about the unlawful tactics of News of the World as early as 2002, despite all her denials yesterday. Rebekah Brooks was present at a meeting with Scotland Yard when police officers pursing a murder investigation provided her with evidence that her newspaper was interfering with the pursuit of justice. They gave her the name of another executive at News International, Alex Marunchak. The meeting, which included Dick Fedorcio of the Metropolitan police, told her that News of the World staff were guilty of interference and party to using unlawful means to attempt to discredit a police officer and his wife. She was told of actions by people she paid to expose and discredit David Cook and his wife Jackie Haines so that Mr Cook would be prevented from completing an investigation into a murder. News International were paying people to interfer with police officers and were doing so on behalf of known criminals. We know now that News International had entered the criminal underworld.
She cannot deny being present at this meeting when the actions of people she was paying were exposed. She cannot deny now being warned that under her auspices unlawful tactics were being used with the purpose of interfering with the pursuit of justice. She cannot deny that one of her staff, Alex Marunchak, was named and involved. She cannot deny either that she was told by the police that her own paper was using unlawful tactics, in this case to help one of her law-breaking investigators. This in my views shows her culpability goes beyond taking the blame as head of the organisation. It is about direct knowledge of unlawful behaviour.
And was Mr Marunchak dismissed. No. He was promoted

Source - http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/jul/06/news-of-the-world-phone-hacking-live?commentpage=20#start-of-comments

The can of worms is getting larger and messier it seems.

This is the story that broke on the C4 news last night but weirdly doesn't seem to have had much coverage on the telly today (probably due to the bigger 7/7 victims issue). I couldn't help laughing at the bit about the NOTW publishing a story claiming two of the people involved were having an affair when in actual fact they were married. To each other.
If it's proven that Brooks was at that Scotland Yard meeting then surely that means she's lied about at least one aspect of the various allegations? Either way, I bet Grant Mitchell's laughing his cock off.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 92
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 4:59:34 PM   
mattjtemp

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Oh, and hello mattjtemp, I've missed your dry wit. No seriously, I have.

At your age I bet you miss loads.

'I need your clothes, your boots, and your unicycle'

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 93
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 5:23:45 PM   
jonson

It's the font size, my hearing's still ok.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to mattjtemp)
Post #: 94
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 6:06:08 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattjtemp

Great interview on Radio 5 with Hugh, thanks for the link.

Yeah I thought he handled the 'confrontation' with Paul McMullan quite well, given some of the excuses Paul was churning out, I wouldn't have thought any less of Grant if he came across far less poised.  I guess for him he's just relieved that this whole thing has exploded into the national conscious since he's been trying to deal with it in his own personal life.   Not that I'm saying he'll be relieved at how it's become a major scandal, but at the moment he does seem like a relevant public figure to lend a face/name to the vocal opposition to NOTW, since he already has experience of their dirty methods.

Another interview with Grant and McMullan.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14052690

< Message edited by Sway -- 6/7/2011 6:10:30 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to mattjtemp)
Post #: 95
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 7:18:55 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Annoyingly the share prices for BSkyB have gone down so it looks like NI will actually benefit from this.

Bunch of c*nts .

Robert Peston made a good point on the BBC website:

quote:

Ofcom is under a legal obligation to ensure that the owners of broadcasters such as BSkyB are fit and proper.
But pending the results of the police enquiry into alleged illegal behaviour by the News of the World, and pending a public disclosure by News International of the way that it has changed its structures and practices to ensure such abuses never happen again, Ofcom is not in a position to adjudicate whether News Corporation is fit and proper. That poses a dilemma for British Sky Broadcasting's independent directors. They know there is an increased risk of regulatory intervention by Ofcom to frustrate the takeover.  Because of that execution risk, they would have to demand a much steeper price from News Corporation than would otherwise be the case. It is their fiduciary duty to do so - and News Corporation, run by Rupert Murdoch, will be well aware of that.

Also, now that Cameron has agreed to a public enquiry, there is a good chance that Brooks will get called to give testimony under oath (for what it's worth ).  So the limelight will remain on her even after this furore dies down. 

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 96
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 10:05:13 PM   
DancingClown

Jesus Christ.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14052909

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 97
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 10:32:19 PM   
elab49

Brooks and Coulson must be fucked. Surely this means that the simple truth is that any story coming into the NotW their normal runofthemill without thought checklist included hack the numbers of anyone involved? How could anyone who worked there claim not to know it's clearly the standard MO. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 98
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 11:05:47 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Jesus Christ.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14052909

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 99
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 11:06:20 PM   
boaby

Newsnight Scotland. Tommy Sheridan perjury trial in the High Court in Edinburgh:

Sheridan: did the News of the World pay corrupt police officers?

Coulson: Not to my knowledge.

Stuff emailed by the NotW to the Met suggests that Coulson did indeed authorise payments to police officers.

Busted. Surely.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 100
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 12:11:55 AM   
elab49

Well if Sheridan got jailed for perjury - maybe there will be a nearby cell free 

quote:

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 101
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 6:24:59 AM   
horribleives

The thing that's disturbing me most about all this is that as much as I'm loving seeing News International's name rightly dragged through the mud, I'm also starting to find Rebekah Wade strangely sexy. Sorry, mam.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 102
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 6:51:38 AM   
elab49

Well, unless you read the front page of The Sun which sticks to dragging Ferdinand through the mud with a tiny bit finally on the front page that refers only to all press in bold.

The Times seems to refer to 'the press' a lot as well

quote:

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 103
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 8:21:02 AM   
Ghidorah

The Daily Telegraph are now reporting NotW may hacked phones belonging to families of dead serviceman.

The chances of this being ignored is going to be high especially the dirty deals Cameron made to benefit News International. However there still hope and I would like to see Courts restrict News International to one Newspaper. On the ground of corruption, spying and prevention of justice.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 104
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 9:16:35 AM   
elab49

Apparently Brooks' Wiki entry was amended

quote:

• Difficult times for Rebekah Brooks, the chief executive at News International, and time perhaps to look at her afresh. Visitors to her Wikipedia entry are doing it already. "Despite being editor-in-chief of the News of the World, she apparently has no idea what her staff are doing most of the time," the abused profile said.

This kind of reminds me of the Scott Report as dramatised by Richard Norton Taylor - he may have been Chancellor, Foreign Secretary etc etc but it didn't mean he knew what was going on

quote:

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 105
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 12:54:13 PM   
Spaldron

Apparently the lawyer for the Diana inquest has been hacked. Now that Diana is involved expect the Express to go bats**t crazy now.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 106
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 1:05:30 PM   
superdan

I do actually wonder now if this will have a significant effect on NotW. My inital thought was that it would be embarrassing and inconvenient for them, but ultimately harmless as people and advertisers continued to pour money into their coffers, but it seems as though it could cause serious long-term harm to the publication and even NI in general. If it causes that sour old bastard Murdoch to fail in his bid for BSkyB (unlikely but you never know) he'll be apoplectic. Just the thought of that makes me feel warm inside.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 107
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 1:13:06 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I do actually wonder now if this will have a significant effect on NotW. My inital thought was that it would be embarrassing and inconvenient for them, but ultimately harmless as people and advertisers continued to pour money into their coffers, but it seems as though it could cause serious long-term harm to the publication and even NI in general. If it causes that sour old bastard Murdoch to fail in his bid for BSkyB (unlikely but you never know) he'll be apoplectic. Just the thought of that makes me feel warm inside.

This ^

NI share prices dropping, all this needs is for the story to go global for some serious damage doing.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 108
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 1:14:11 PM   
elab49

The NYT ran big on it a few months ago - I don't doubt they'll be featuring it pretty heavily.

quote:

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 109
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 1:33:39 PM   
sanchia

There was a chap claiming that the alleged police bribery for information which Brooks knew about then didn't know about then knew about and now doesn't know about again may even go higher than her. sadly I can't find a link but Murdoch's son is starting to fall into the picture as well.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 110
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 1:33:45 PM   
superdan

The NYT are running it front and center on their website, and have been on it all week really. The Washington Post also has it on their main page, so it's getting relatively high attention in the US.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 111
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 1:36:16 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

The NYT are running it front and center on their website, and have been on it all week really. The Washington Post also has it on their main page, so it's getting relatively high attention in the US.

Christ the NYT has the ugliest website on earth!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 112
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 1:44:39 PM   
elab49

Spaldron, do you mean the comments by Tom Watson during the emergency debate yesterday - he referred to a specific meeting with the Met that he said both he and Brooks attended back in the early noughties I think.

quote:

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 113
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 1:47:27 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Spaldron, do you mean the comments by Tom Watson during the emergency debate yesterday - he referred to a specific meeting with the Met that he said both he and Brooks attended back in the early noughties I think.

No idea what your on about. I think you got the wrong guy elab.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 114
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 1:50:13 PM   
elab49

But but but - you and Sanchia look so much alike. Honest. Um....

Sorry, Sanchia

quote:

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 115
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 3:10:17 PM   
elab49

For those supporting the Avaaz campaign

quote:

In less than a week, Jeremy Hunt has received 100,000 submissions about News Corp's bid for BSkyB - almost all of them opposed to the bid.
The sheer volume of submissions means the culture secretary will not make his final definitive ruling on whether the takeover should be allowed for many weeks, probably not till September.
In that sense, the protesters, led by the campaigning group Avaaz, have done Mr Hunt something of a favour - because the last thing he wants to do is approve the takeover in the current highly charged climate.

According to the Beeb. Although it's been pointed out a delay might help them too.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 116
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 3:25:05 PM   
BishopQuaker

I'll just stick in my charity 2 penneth while we're at it...

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/Article/1078995/Royal-British-Legion-drops-News-World-campaign-partner/

The Legion tell NOWT to piss off and Mitsuibishi give the money they were going to spend on advertising to Childline!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 117
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 4:42:59 PM   
Rinc

News of the World shutting down...

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 118
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 4:44:52 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

News of the World shutting down...

Just heard that on the radio...that is HUGE

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 119
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 7/7/2011 4:45:01 PM   
Spaldron

NOTW TO END ON SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI