Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 5/7/2011 11:10:30 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: bub

Anyone else think it would be sweet justice if some of those T'internet hacker types found all the personal info of the twats responsible for this and published it for all to see?

No.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 61
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 5/7/2011 11:31:55 PM   
horribleives

This new development concerning the Met and the Crimewatch presenter looks set to drop Brooks et al even deeper in the shit. Brilliant.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 5/7/2011 11:32:35 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 62
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 2:21:05 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

The wider issue surely is if Murdoch's Newscorp are actually fit to take over BskyB?

I think the wider issue is why the Metropolitan Police didn't uncover any of this stuff 5 years ago when they first did an enquiry, and why their deputy commissioners seem to be so pally with the NOTW editors, as this story suggests.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/mar/24/phone-hacking-metropolitan-police-dpp

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 63
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 8:18:50 AM   
clownfoot

I walked into work listening to Metallica's cover of 'Free Speech for the Dumb'. Coincidence or serendipity?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 64
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 8:46:45 AM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Hit 'em where it hurts http://www.pint.org.uk/notw.html

Loving this - it was all over Twiiter yesterday. Ford have already announced that they will be stopping their advertising with NOTW as a result of this week's revelations.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-05/ford-to-stop-placing-ads-in-news-corp-s-news-of-the-world.html?cmpid=msnmoney&industry=IND_MEDIA&isub=

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 65
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 9:22:50 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: BishopQuaker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Just watching that slimy prick Max Clifford on bbc basically making excuses for Brookes and NOTW in general.

That's because he's a cunt.
Fact.

Reminds me of that joke: "If Max Clifford is so good at P.R., how come everyone thinks he's a cunt?"

I like, and have subsequently added to my blog!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 66
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 9:48:50 AM   
sharkboy

So it appears that not content to hack the phones of missing kids and their families, they even decided to illegally invade the privacy of the 7/7 families.  Interestingly, the Times is concentrating on the alleged pay-offs to Met officers and not the phone hacking itself - deflection anyone?

Elsewhere, on-line people power campaigners Avaaz have set up a petition to block any News International takeover of BSkyB until the deal is reviewed by the Competitions commission: linky

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 67
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 10:06:51 AM   
matty_b

And yet, despite all this, the Tory papers are still leading with headlines attacking public sector workers. It's sad how predictable life under the Tories has become. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 68
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 12:40:31 PM   
clownfoot

I decided to write this for my blog and thought why not share here as well. I've reused your earlier link Sharky, thanks muchly:

On the way to work this morning I was listening to Metallica's cover of Discharge's 'Free Speech for the Dumb' which, given the current hacking allegations made against the News of the World, seems particularly serendipitous. Let's take a look at the lyrics:

'Free speech, free speech for the dumb
Free speech, free speech for the dumb
Free fucking speech

Free fucking speech.'

Salient and to the point. Now, it could just be a clever play on words regarding selective mutism, but for the purposes of making a point against shit journalism let's instead consider that dumb in this context means 'morons'. Free speech for the dumb could in many ways be the News of the Worlds theme tune, what with three million muppets tuning in every Sunday for its shallow celebrity based gossip, fake sheikh stings and wanky football articles attempting to vindicate themselves as 'news'. But hey, that's the rub with free speech. Write about anything or anybody you like, without any basis of fact or knowledge, advocate your right to the freedom of opinion and expression without interference, and let the people that want to read such bobbins buy the paper. Three million people? That's quite a few morons…

Still, I'm guessing the News of the World also presume such rights and freedoms of the press allow for using any means to get a story, hence the low of paparazzi laying in the gutters to get the best beaver shot or, shock horror, being completely morally repugnant and hacking the phone of Milly Dowler. Sure, former editors and News International are denying all knowledge crying 'it wasn't me' and will likely cough up the obligatory scapegoats, but the real problem lies at the heart of the current practice and mechanisms of the organisation. If fairly reproachable methods to get a story already exist, are frequently used and are encouraged within the system, it's unlikely anyone would bat an eyelid at the suggestion of using phone-tapping as an acceptable means of acquiring and generating 'news'. News International and the editors in question may not have sanctioned or even knew about any hacking taking place, but they are indirectly responsible for breeding an environment that generates factoids and encourages free speech for the dumb devoid of journalistic integrity that would allow for such practice to occur in the first place.

So, will News International amend their current methods and act with greater integrity? Fuck no. With the Master of Puppets in control, it's likely the abuse of free speech will continue to mangle the fabric of reality. Is censorship an alternative option? Alas, it's not a necessary, necessary evil and encroaches far too much on essential civil liberties that would also be open to abuse. We can't always just shut-up people we don't agree with. What is required, perhaps, is a half-way house between the two mutually opposed concepts; tougher regulations on the press articulating the boundaries of acceptability, both in the practices applied to news-gathering and the dissemination of falsehoods, where the necessary hung, drawn and quartering are applied to any twonk that breaks these central tenets. Pipe-dream? Pretty much, especially with David Cameron's frequent bumming of Rupert Murdoch (so what if it's not true – let's Fight Fire with Fire)!

The best we'll probably get is the BBC doing their best to undermine Murdoch's media empire and a few good eggs doing their best to scupper Murdoch's takeover of BSkyB until the deal is reviewed by the Competitions commission, like this place:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/murdoch_messages_2/?gdn

Until then, the concept of freedom of speech will continue to be bastardised and seen as overrated and harmful by its detractors. Let's hope at the very least the current hacking allegations allow for a large proportion of the three million readers of the News of the World to finally wake up and read Viz instead…

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 6/7/2011 1:15:14 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 69
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 12:53:41 PM   
Marky_Mark

Update from Krishnan Guru-Murthy (http://twitter.com/#!/krishgm):

quote:

Vauxhall, Virgin, Lloyds, Halifax....all now hitting NOTW in the pocket where it really hurts...hard to see how they can resume for years

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 70
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 1:11:59 PM   
great_badir

And yet my mum will still probably buy it this Sunday...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 71
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 1:33:21 PM   
Harley Quinn

The News of the world "Fan" page on Facebook is alight with people leaving negative messages about them. They are also being deleted at quite a speed as well.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 72
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 1:58:17 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

The News of the world "Fan" page on Facebook is alight with people leaving negative messages about them. They are also being deleted at quite a speed as well.

The NOTW facebook page is like a virtual human ashtray.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 73
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 2:07:28 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

The NOTW facebook page is like a virtual human ashtray.

Just to clarify I read the information on another message board and had a look at it because I'm bored and nosey, I don't "like" the NoTW!

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 74
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 2:23:09 PM   
sharkboy

Anyone else watching the hacking debate at Westminster at the minute?  Chris Bryant has been particularly good so far.  Hell, even Nicholas Soames supports a stop to the BskyB takeover until this matter is sorted!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 75
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 2:29:08 PM   
hellsangel66

I personally think that all retailers should refuse to stock the NOTW.  This has been a gross invasion of privacy and the grief caused especially to the families of the 7/7 victims and Milly Dowler's parents is unforgivable.

The NOTW should be hung out to dry or at least get an editor with a sense of eithics and morality....then again this is News International....

I am extraordinary. I am your ordinary everyday psycho sane supergoddess

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 76
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 2:52:24 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellsangel66

I personally think that all retailers should refuse to stock the NOTW.  This has been a gross invasion of privacy and the grief caused especially to the families of the 7/7 victims and Milly Dowler's parents is unforgivable.

The NOTW should be hung out to dry or at least get an editor with a sense of eithics and morality....then again this is News International....

That will never happen where there's £££ to be had.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to hellsangel66)
Post #: 77
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 3:10:11 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Mrs Brooks said:
"I hope that you all realise it is inconceivable that I knew or worse, sanctioned these appalling allegations."
Public inquiry calls

Surely the response to that is - if I do conceive it though, yes or no - did you? Can't people just straight out say on the record 'I had nothing to do with it'?

Surely the appropriate response would be

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 6/7/2011 3:11:21 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 78
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 3:15:52 PM   
SWOTBM

How......convenient

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/06/andy-coulson-phone-hacking

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 79
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 3:24:22 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

How......convenient

Indeed. It would seem Coulson has drawn the short straw here. There's no way Brooks can come out of this unscathed though. Or you'd hope so at least.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 80
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 3:38:18 PM   
elab49

Have they managed to fiddle the records to make it look like phone lines were down in Italy too? Faxes were out of order? Computers didn't work? Pigeons were being shot on suspicion of carrying messages? 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 81
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 3:43:19 PM   
Harry Tuttle

According to the Guardian Murdoch will do whatever it takes to protect Brooks (presumably because after her, the buck stops with James). Unfortunately for Coulson that means he's going to be hung out to dry.

Annoyingly the share prices for BSkyB have gone down so it looks like NI will actually benefit from this.

Bunch of c*nts .

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 82
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 3:51:01 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

How......convenient

I still can't read any of this story in another paper, it all sounds so hypocritical.
I laughed at someone waving The Mail at me yesterday saying "how dare they, have you read this? It's disgusting, the bloody News of The World, disgusting paper, we should all boycott it!" etc etc.
I just had to smile. Waving The Mail around on your moral high-horse, it beggars belief.

It's quite horrific what has been going on, but I don't think we know the 10% of it, we only have ourselves to blame and our desperate need for information.
I'll still get the NoTW delivered on a Sunday morning because I like the football pages (the rest of it is shit) Changing to another paper wont make a difference, I should think they're all at it.

Was Rebekah Brooks once married to Ross Kemp?

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 83
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 3:58:13 PM   
horribleives

Yep. Apparently she was quite handy.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 6/7/2011 4:07:45 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 84
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 3:58:26 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Well, she was released without charge for that alleged offence.

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 6/7/2011 4:00:15 PM >

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 85
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 4:00:21 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Interestingly, the Times is concentrating on the alleged pay-offs to Met officers and not the phone hacking itself - deflection anyone?

Possibly, but that part of the story needs to be reported on too.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 86
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 4:02:25 PM   
elab49

You really think the Guardian would have been harping on this from the very start if anyone had anything they could hang on them?

quote:

we only have ourselves to blame and our desperate need for information

I can see why someone who buys those papers would prefer to put it like that but I don't read the tabs myself, and nothing I read has been even tangentially mentioned as being part of this. So I'd prefer a 'not in my name' when it comes to illegally getting information dragged out of the family and friends of dead children. I'd prefer they cut back on coverage of crimes because, as was clearly demonstrated in Bristol, some go too far and they must be interfering with police investigations. I've never bought the claim that the police must fess up everything because we have the 'right to know' - not for an ongoing investigation.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 87
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 4:04:16 PM   
mattjtemp

Great interview on Radio 5 with Hugh, thanks for the link.

Didn't Murdoch recently move his son to New York to distance himself from this?

'I need your clothes, your boots, and your unicycle'

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 88
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 4:11:49 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Here is an extract of MP Tom Watson's speech at the commons today

quote:

I want to inform the House of further evidence that suggests Rebekah Brooks knew about the unlawful tactics of News of the World as early as 2002, despite all her denials yesterday. Rebekah Brooks was present at a meeting with Scotland Yard when police officers pursing a murder investigation provided her with evidence that her newspaper was interfering with the pursuit of justice. They gave her the name of another executive at News International, Alex Marunchak. The meeting, which included Dick Fedorcio of the Metropolitan police, told her that News of the World staff were guilty of interference and party to using unlawful means to attempt to discredit a police officer and his wife. She was told of actions by people she paid to expose and discredit David Cook and his wife Jackie Haines so that Mr Cook would be prevented from completing an investigation into a murder. News International were paying people to interfer with police officers and were doing so on behalf of known criminals. We know now that News International had entered the criminal underworld.
She cannot deny being present at this meeting when the actions of people she was paying were exposed. She cannot deny now being warned that under her auspices unlawful tactics were being used with the purpose of interfering with the pursuit of justice. She cannot deny that one of her staff, Alex Marunchak, was named and involved. She cannot deny either that she was told by the police that her own paper was using unlawful tactics, in this case to help one of her law-breaking investigators. This in my views shows her culpability goes beyond taking the blame as head of the organisation. It is about direct knowledge of unlawful behaviour.
And was Mr Marunchak dismissed. No. He was promoted

Source - http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/jul/06/news-of-the-world-phone-hacking-live?commentpage=20#start-of-comments

The can of worms is getting larger and messier it seems.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 89
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 6/7/2011 4:15:47 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

You really think the Guardian would have been harping on this from the very start if anyone had anything they could hang on them?

quote:

we only have ourselves to blame and our desperate need for information

I can see why someone who buys those papers would prefer to put it like that but I don't read the tabs myself, and nothing I read has been even tangentially mentioned as being part of this. So I'd prefer a 'not in my name' when it comes to illegally getting information dragged out of the family and friends of dead children. I'd prefer they cut back on coverage of crimes because, as was clearly demonstrated in Bristol, some go too far and they must be interfering with police investigations. I've never bought the claim that the police must fess up everything because we have the 'right to know' - not for an ongoing investigation.

I agree Elab. When I say ourselves, I mean the people who buy these papers for the "news". Perhaps 99% of NoTW readers are like me, they don't even open the paper, they pull the middle football section out and chuck the rest in the recycle bin - but sadly I think not.
If I ever do flick through it, I wonder who on earth reads it - footballers on holiday, paedos on every street corner, soap star showing a nipple - I have zero interest in any of that, but I subscribe to the "readership" so only have myself to blame. Without a demand there wouldn't be a need.

Oh, and hello mattjtemp, I've missed your dry wit. No seriously, I have.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI