Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone Page: <<   < prev  22 23 24 25 [26]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 29/11/2012 2:50:54 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

or trying for that upskirt pic outside nightclubs

Oh come on, let's not suck all the enjoyment out of life...

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 751
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 29/11/2012 3:32:26 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I do think there's a potential win in this situation, in the shape of an independent complaints commission that has real teeth to apply substantial enough punishments to transgressors "pour encourager les autres", as Voltaire put it.  If one thing has become abundantly clear from the inquiry it is that we can't trust the press to be self-governing, so the PCC cannot continue to exist in its current form.  Equally however, the though of a statutory system linked to government control is very definitely breaking the butterfly on the wheel.  Having said that, if I have to hear one more tabloid editor railing against the undermining of democracy that such an attack on the free press would bring, I might just throw my support behind it.  They're trying to come across like they're Woodward and Bernstein, exposing national scandals on a daily basis, rather than rifling through celebs' bins or trying for that upskirt pic outside nightclubs.

Exactly. The tabloid media in particular are trying to spin it as an attack on press freedom etc., but it's not about government controlling the press. It's about making sure they are held accountable when they fuck up or break the law (which at the moment they aren't), which seems entirely fair and sensible given the depredations they've sunk to (and often been completely unapologetic for) in the past.

Will be interesting to see what the government implement on the back of this report, and whether it has any effect on press behaviour.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 752
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 29/11/2012 4:37:16 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

or trying for that upskirt pic outside nightclubs

Oh come on, let's not suck all the enjoyment out of life...

Sinatra in "Confirmed As Dirty Old Man" shocker.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 753
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 2/12/2012 10:44:15 AM   
elab49

If one ever needed heads-up on how terrified the press is against any kind of external agency telling them not to be scum, and how strong their vested interest is, try and find any objective discussion in them about Leveson. They control the access to info still - is it any wonder people worry about them?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 754
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 21/3/2013 8:36:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

When you read tragic stories like this

http://jackofkent.com/2013/03/the-death-of-lucy-meadows/

You sort of feel that the print media SHOULD have its own OFCOM. I struggle to see why our visual media have a proper watchdog but our print media can go off and do whatever.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 755
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 21/3/2013 8:39:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

Here is the article (don't worry, won't link to the actual Mail website) http://web.archive.org/web/20121226073921/http:/www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2251347/Nathan-Uptons-wrong-body--hes-wrong-job.html

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 756
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 22/3/2013 11:03:28 AM   
Brundlesflies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Here is the article (don't worry, won't link to the actual Mail website) http://web.archive.org/web/20121226073921/http:/www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2251347/Nathan-Uptons-wrong-body--hes-wrong-job.html

To quote DPP1978 (& Deviations sig)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 757
RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone - 10/7/2013 2:40:29 PM   
Ghidorah

I'm surprised this haven't already been posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ4AkF6E2I0

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 758
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 24 25 [26]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: NOTW Hacked Milly Dowler's Phone Page: <<   < prev  22 23 24 25 [26]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI