Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Multi Region Blu-Ray Players.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 3/7/2011 11:47:23 PM   
Spaldron

Can anyone give me advice on relatively cheap multi region blu ray players. Is it better to buy a ready made one or a regular blu ray player and have it modded, also how would I get that done and how much does that cost? Second does that multi region ability apply to playing dvds aswell, so it can do R1 and RA etc?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.
Post #: 1
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 4/7/2011 12:01:50 PM   
jinks

Best Blu-Ray is probably a PS3, due to the updates keeping it top of the range most of the time (currently supports 3D blu-rays too). As far as im aware, Blu-Rays aren't region coded so they'll play on all players.

With regards to multi region DVDs those a no on the PS3. Which is a shame.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 4/7/2011 12:48:00 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: jinks
As far as im aware, Blu-Rays aren't region coded so they'll play on all players.

Yes they are - there are three regions, A, B and C. A is the Americas and parts of Asia (mostly Asian islands), B is Europe, Africa and the antipodes, C is effectively the rest of the world.

There are quite a few region free and region all blu ray discs around in this country (much more than came out on DVD in the UK) and a few distributors only release region free/all. But there are still plenty of releases restricted to regions.

There are some multi-region players around (best to buy one already done, be it by some remote control code or a chip, but be aware that may invalidate the warranty), but they were generally quite expensive when I last looked - I think they've only just recently cracked multi region blu ray. Also be VERY aware that when a player is listed as being multi-region, in 90% of cases that refers to the DVD ONLY being multi-region - the blu ray will still be restricted.

A much cheaper option might be to buy a dedicated region A player, given that this will cover what most people want outside of the UK - US and Asia. There are some US based online shops that will sell US players to the UK and, normally, the prices will include shipping and import duty. They'll usually also include a decent power adapter so you don't have to worry about the different voltages (although if they don't, you can get one from eBay or Amazon for 15-20, but make sure you get a proper stepdown transformer and not one of those shitty two pin to three pin travel plugs that you can get for a few quid).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 3
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 11/11/2012 9:42:30 PM   
doubtlesswonder

I know this thread is old, but I'm looking at buying a Region A blu-ray player. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good site to get one shipped to the UK for a decent price?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 4
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 12/11/2012 1:52:44 PM   
great_badir

There look to be a couple of options (not least Amazon.com - pretty sure they will ship to the UK), but dvdworldusa.com are supposed to be good. I think (but am not 100% sure, so caveat emptor) that I used to buy from them regularly when they were called Laserworld and dealt solely in laserdiscs and NTSC VHS videos. If it IS the same company, then they've been around for at least 20 years and I never had any issues with them (I bought a laserdisc player and several laserdiscs from them throughout the 90s).

I have also heard of multiregionmagic.co.uk, which sells multiregion blu ray players within the UK (so this may further answer the original question). I've never bought anything from there before, but it is also an established (and legit) brick and mortar store, which is added peace of mind I guess.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 5
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 12/11/2012 6:07:11 PM   
Spectator of Suicide

I want to get this one, features include BD Live, plays multi region DVDs and Blu Rays and internet connection. Plus customer feedbacks pretty good.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-BDX3200-Blu-Ray-Player-Live/dp/B004Y3UXVU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352743444&sr=8-2

Stupid question but will it be compatible with a HD Ready TV or do I need a 3D TV for 3D Blu Ray Player to work?

< Message edited by Spectator of Suicide -- 12/11/2012 6:10:30 PM >

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

Post #: 6
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 7/12/2012 11:07:26 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Ok, I've found a decent priced Region A player on Amazon US that I'm thinking of getting when I have the money. So, what am I looking for in terms of an adaptor?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Spectator of Suicide)
Post #: 7
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 7/12/2012 11:42:29 PM   
elab49

Do you mean the plug? You should be able to get a cheap one quite easily. Years ago when I got an Ipod mini when they came out in the US it didn't even occur to me the plugs might be different so it was a bit of a shock - but it only cost a couple of pounds to find one.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 8
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 8/12/2012 4:37:00 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Yeah, Badir said something about getting a stepdown adaptor that takes care of the difference in voltage. Does anyone know what the voltage difference is?

Would this do the trick? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voltage-Step-Down-Converter-Plug/dp/B003OSRITG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354984667&sr=8-1

< Message edited by doubtlesswonder -- 8/12/2012 4:38:27 PM >

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 8/12/2012 5:43:04 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

Yeah, Badir said something about getting a stepdown adaptor that takes care of the difference in voltage. Does anyone know what the voltage difference is?

Would this do the trick? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voltage-Step-Down-Converter-Plug/dp/B003OSRITG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354984667&sr=8-1

In the UK we use 240V at 50 Hz (more or less). In the US they use 110V at 60Hz. If you plug a unit expecting 110V into the UK mains it will, in all likelihood, fry it.

Some products have a power supply that can use either; in which case you only need to change the plug or get an adapter. You have to be very sure of this before trying it. Else you might well have an expensive lump of useless hardware and a nasty burning smell.

Otherwise you will need a step down adapter like the one shown. That one, according to the write up, will provide up to 40W of power. If the device you are plugging into it needs more than that it will probably fry the adapter and possibly whatever is plugged into it as well. Make sure you know how much power you will need.

If in doubt buy from a UK based seller and get their advice.

< Message edited by Dpp1978 -- 8/12/2012 5:45:50 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 8/12/2012 11:31:21 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Ok, I think I'm following you. The info page for the player I'm looking at doesn't say anything about whether it needs 40W or more so I guess I'd have to buy it and figure it out from there?

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 11
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 10/1/2013 5:16:20 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Alright, I just bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076R7FFI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6

No mention on the item page of whether it needs 40W or different so I'll take a look when it gets here. I assume the HDMI connection is the same as ours?

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 12
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 11/1/2013 12:41:53 PM   
great_badir

Yep, HDMI is standard and will work anywhere (as far as I know).

As for adapters, the one I've got is closer to the more expensive Tacima heavy duty ones (looks like these have gone up in price significantly since I got mine), but mine was a US manufactured one (I can't remember the name of it) and is still in full working order 16 years later. I've not had any experience with the cheaper plug type ones, but I would say pay attention to the negative reviews and see if any of them are a concern.

But that player looks to be a good price (assuming you don't get hit by customs, of course), so you may be able to push the boat out a bit more with the adapter, cos if the player gets fried, it would be a no-go under the manufacturer's warranty and Amazon US wouldn't take it back either.

The best thing to do is:
1 - don't worry or panic, cos there IS something out there that will get you up and running
2 - when the player turns up and you have all the tech specs, Google round some techie forums, cos I guarantee you will not be the only person in the UK doing the same thing
3 - enjoy your NC17/unrated/banned/Criterion blu rays

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 13
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 15/1/2013 3:38:42 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Ok, my player arrived yesterday. What information do I need to figure out which adapter to get?

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 14
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 17/1/2013 8:24:44 PM   
Spiked

You can't really get a cheap one to be honest, which is a shame. I just have a R2 one, but my laptop plays R1, so I'm covered.

Post #: 15
RE: Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. - 2/2/2013 12:38:32 AM   
doubtlesswonder

Ok, if anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. The specifications for my player say:

Power Requirements: AC 120V, 60HZ
Power Consumption: 12.6W

So what am I looking for in terms of adapters?

Edit: On the player's plug, it says 10A, 125V

< Message edited by doubtlesswonder -- 2/2/2013 4:23:59 PM >

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Spiked)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Multi Region Blu-Ray Players. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI