Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Farscape

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Farscape Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Farscape - 24/2/2006 1:01:28 PM   
Captain Black

I've just read that The Peacekeeper Wars is going to be shown on Five on Sunday, March 5th at 7.05. It's part of a sci fi weekend, which includes such other 'classics' as The Tomorrow Man, The Last Starfighter and Starship Troopers 2. Genius. 

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]
Post #: 1
RE: Farscape - 24/2/2006 2:15:38 PM   
beebs_

Woo hoo!

Finally The Peacekeeper Wars comes to terrestrail telly. I'll probably catch some of it even though I've got it on DVD.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 2
RE: Farscape - 24/2/2006 4:08:32 PM   
jediwarrior

I brought the first series on DVD to try out. I only watched about 9 episode I just could not get into it.

Does it pick up during the first season? should I give it another go?

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 3
RE: Farscape - 24/2/2006 4:43:10 PM   
Beckymonster

Yes, it does get a hell of a lot better!  I too tried this attack but gave up around the same point as you did. 

Then I caught 'Nerve' on BBC3 and well...  the rest is history!

I'd start with 'A Human Reaction' because it's a superb story and because Ben Browder is just... ...  Oh and Aryen in a dress if that floats your boat;) 

Failing that - go with 'A Bug's Life' and then carry right on through - I would say start with 'Nerve' but as the events in that episode carry right on from 'A Bug's Life' it makes more sense that way. 

On another tack - has anyone gotten any of the R1 Starburst edition DVDs?  Just invested in the start of S3 (mainly because the DVDs I'm getting from Lovefilm with the same episodes on are frelling scratched to hell!) and would like an opinion!

Much obliged!

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 4
RE: Farscape - 27/2/2006 3:08:05 PM   
hammerhead

Jediwarrior, the season picks up a helluva lot during the last third. The episodes that really hooked me into Farscape was "A Bug's Life" and the following episode "nerve". If I was you I would be patient with the episodes leading up to this but wouldn't skip any as you'll miss the introduction of the character "Chiana" who is added to the cast mid-season. I think Farscape is a series that you really need to give time to get used to the characters and the universe. It is particularly quirky but once you know and love the characters going back over season one after watching seasons two , three and four is surprisingly more enjoyable on repeat viewing!

stick with it Jedi and you'll see some of the most creative and exciting sci-fi in the seasons to come. If it has any bearing my favourite sci-fi series include Babylon 5, Farscape, Space Above and Beyond, Firefly, and Battlestar Galactica 2004.

Becky monster, I have the first two UK box-sets and would wholeheartedly recommend them. From what I've heard about the starburst editions they are very good although they are double-sided discs. The first two UK box sets are aesthetically very attractive and contain plenty of extras especially commentary tracks. I'm sure if you look around you can probably see them fairly cheap (40 - 50) like I did.

Becky & Jedi you also may be interested in checking out this little forum called Cult tv forums

http://s7.invisionfree.com/Cult_TV_Boards/index.php?s=865849435ef67459f3d55be7dca0074b&act=idx

that has a number of Farscape fans are amongst other TV series including xfile, B5, firefly, buffy, angel & more. It's a friendly forum and a good place to talk about all of your favourite TV series.

< Message edited by hammerhead -- 27/2/2006 5:48:05 PM >

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

(in reply to Beckymonster)
Post #: 5
RE: Farscape - 27/2/2006 3:28:03 PM   
beebs_

I remember I used to watch Farscape when it was on BBC 2 the first time round. When S1 was on I took the piss out of it for the first half of the season. But I kind of knew what was going on. I liked A Human Reaction when I saw it, but it didn't all fall into place until Nerve and Hidden Memory. It must have been Scorpi!

I've been buying up the Starburst Editions too. That's when I got a chance to see A Human Reaction again. What a classic! Anyway, I'm expecting S3 volume 2 soon...

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 6
RE: Farscape - 27/2/2006 4:58:33 PM   
Beckymonster

Beebs - at least you got to see it on BBC2!  I was working in London at the time and as it took so long for me to get home, I never saw it until the end of S3 (I think) and I got hopelessly hooked on it but missed S4 for some reason... 

And may I say that's a very yummy AV you have there?  Just started to re-watch X-Files S1 and am beginning to realise just how yummy David Duchovny is

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 7
RE: Farscape - 27/2/2006 5:24:52 PM   
beebs_

Mmmmm! Duchovny! You should watch some S5 & 6. He looks even better! He's still looking good for an ol' man up to now!

Back on topic...

Ben Browder is a bit of alright too!

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Beckymonster)
Post #: 8
RE: Farscape - 28/2/2006 2:20:23 PM   
jediwarrior

Thanks to Beckymonster and Hammerhead for the tips about Farscape.

I will most likely continue where I lefted off with Farscape later in the summer to see if I can get into it.

Can't watch it at the moment as I am already watching too much tv as it is with, Supernatural, Prison Break, 24, Smallville, V, My Name is Earl, Battlestar Galactica plus all the sport I watch.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 9
RE: Farscape - 28/2/2006 5:26:16 PM   
~Angel~

Whoa that is a lot! When you do start watching it again i can assure you that it gets soooooo much better!!! Its fantastic!!! 

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 10
RE: Farscape - 1/3/2006 11:29:30 AM   
Captain Black

My mistake, Peacekeeper Wars is on next Wednesday at 9 for three hours. Yay!

Jediwarrior, I too stopped watching it too when it was on the beeb, then, for whatever reason gave it another go during (I think) season 3 and loved it. I didn't think Four was quite as strong, but still very good. Interestingly by that stage the UK were getting the episodes before the US. It's probably better left to the people who know the show better than I do, but it was much more compelling when they were doing a story arc that lasted over a large number of episodes.

Sadly I've got digital just as they appear to have stopped showing the repeats on BBC3 (D'oh!).

I think in some ways it's the ideal format for a sci fi show, because you can have the central character being very easy to relate to by being from the present day, yet also you get all the advanced technology and scope for storylines.

And Headhunter, my life is over if I go to that message board. All that geeky goodness, how it calls me like the sirens.....

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to ~Angel~)
Post #: 11
RE: Farscape - 1/3/2006 5:18:54 PM   
hammerhead

I was one of those lucky enough to follow it on BBC2 only missing one episode during its four-year run. I remember being particularly chuffed while watching season four knowing we were several weeks ahead of the US. It's extremely rare to see these types of shows before the US and to the best of my knowledge Battlestar Galactica 2004 season one was the only other time this has happened.

Jedi warrior, I also have extremely busy TV Schedules likeyou and I'm currently watching supernatural, Prison Break, Smallville , V , invasion, surface, the wire, 24, my name is Earl, NCIS , over there , Stargate, and Stargate Atlantis... I would also be watching Battlestar Galactica 2004 but I'm waiting for the season 2.5 DVDs.

All this TV is exhausting.

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 12
RE: Farscape - 8/3/2006 11:40:00 AM   
hammerhead

I just thought I would remind everybody that the peacekeeper Wars is on tonight at 9 o'clock .

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 13
RE: Farscape - 8/3/2006 11:49:36 AM   
beebs_

Thanks for that. I'll probably still forget...

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 14
RE: Farscape - 9/3/2006 1:03:24 AM   
vic_vega

I realise quite a lot of people have difficulty getting Farscape especially in Season 1 where a lot of the episodes don't appear to be leading anywhere, but I still think there some brilliant shows in there before the nerve eventually pops up and blows everything away that went before it. Back and Back and Back to The Future is great as is Throne For A Loss and Til The Blood Runs Clear. Admittedly I had to watch almost the complete Seasons 2 & 3 before I could go back and fully appreciate these. Even some of the trashier episodes like DNA Mad Scientist and That Old Black Magic have their good bits (although to re-introduce Maldis again in season 2 in a particular crappy episode was a bit mystifying)

That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 15
RE: Farscape - 9/3/2006 1:52:36 PM   
hammerhead

I agree with you when you go back to watch the first season of Farscape after watching several seasons quite a few of the episodes seem much better second or third time round. I think this is due to a couple of things, firstly, because you know and care about the characters. Secondly, the Farscape universe is a strange and quirky place which really is separate and distinct from other sci-fi series. By the time you're doing a re watch your completely immersed into that universe, noticing how detailed and fantastic all of the sets, special-effects, CGI , characters and how alien the aliens really are.
Two of my favourite early season episodes include Premiere and PK Tech Girl. I even relatively enjoy Jeremiah Crichton now which I really didn't think much of originally. It's interesting going back to see how far the characters have come a long since the first season especially D'Argo who has to be the most changed of all characters. Crichton is pretty much naive during the first season but by the end he's far more pragmatic.

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 16
RE: Farscape - 9/3/2006 2:52:40 PM   
beebs_

Jeremaih Crichton is best watched with the commentary!

Once you get into Farscape you can definitely get more from watching season 1 again.

I did catch some of the Peacekeeper Wars... I didn't watch it properly as I want to watch the whole series in order again.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 17
RE: Farscape - 9/3/2006 3:21:43 PM   
vic_vega

Jeremiah Crichton is about the only episode I haven't seen. Its sitting in the Series 1 box but I've just never got round to watching it  - I don't know why. Probably too busy trying to discover that why can some scarrans be killed with a single pulse blast when others need beaten to a pulp to stop them.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 18
RE: Farscape - 9/3/2006 4:16:21 PM   
Joedini

I have the first episode ready to watch - trusting your advice here people. I've never seen an episode before!

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 19
RE: Farscape - 9/3/2006 5:48:19 PM   
beebs_

Stick with it! You may laugh at the "muppets" at first, but if you make it to the final ep of the season I'm sure you'll want to come back for more...

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 20
RE: Farscape - 9/3/2006 8:37:13 PM   
furrybastard

I don't think the show really took off until half way through season 1, with the exception of one or two episodes like PK Tech Girl.

Jeremiah Chrichton is a great episode! Absolutely hilarious! His beard looks so awful...

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 21
RE: Farscape - 10/3/2006 1:26:44 PM   
hammerhead

Stick with it Joedini! It's really an excellent series that gets better as the show progresses.

Vic_Vega, you have to see Jeremiah Crichton if only to say you have seen every episode and as furry bastard pointed out you need to see "the beard"!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 22
RE: Farscape - 13/3/2006 12:58:54 AM   
vic_vega

OK I'm digging out the box right now and will revert with my findings!

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 23
RE: Farscape - 13/3/2006 11:37:39 AM   
vic_vega

I've just finished watching it and its not anywhere near as bad as expected considering its one of the worst rated Farscape episodes. 'The beard' was good although a lot more streamlined than the one in Crichton Kicks.
Can anyone tell me what the title of Jeremiah refers to?

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 24
RE: Farscape - 13/3/2006 5:38:22 PM   
furrybastard

There are much worse episodes than Jeremiah Crichton! The hot Asian chick and the magnificent comedic awfulness of his beard place it firmly in the "good" category if you ask me 

I think the Jeremiah might refer to a Biblical character who was exiled or something.

I'm currently rewatching season 3 again at the moment.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 13/3/2006 5:39:22 PM >

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 25
RE: Farscape - 13/3/2006 9:53:47 PM   
vic_vega

Yes Lishalla played by Natalie Mendoza was seriously hot and if I had been Crichton I would have stuck with original idea of pissing off Rygel and D'Argo and staying on Acquarra.

I agree there are worse episodes, I was just going on the reviews I had read on various Farscape fan sites. I actually felt that this was quite a pivotal episode in Series 1 as D'Argo seems to at last accept Crichton as a fellow crew member rather the grudging relationship that began to ease a little after 'Til The Blood Runs Clear.

I really need to go back and start at the premier again but I would need to miss DNA Mad Scientist and That Old Black Magic as they are far too annoying to watch again.

Post #: 26
RE: Farscape - 13/3/2006 10:15:53 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: vic_vega

Yes Lishalla played by Natalie Mendoza was seriously hot and if I had been Crichton I would have stuck with original idea of pissing off Rygel and D'Argo and staying on Acquarra

Oh wow, I just realised she was in The Descent!

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 27
RE: Farscape - 13/3/2006 11:56:01 PM   
vic_vega

And if its the same Natalie Mendoza, her sister was stabbed by Marlon Brando!!!!
If you want to see more of her she's on Hotel Babylon on the Beeb on Thursday nights - don't know what its like as I haven't seen it yet.

Post #: 28
RE: Farscape - 14/3/2006 11:38:13 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: vic_vega

And if its the same Natalie Mendoza, her sister was stabbed by Marlon Brando!!!!

I think you mean Marlon Brand. Game me quite a shock there, I was quite shocked that the greatest actor ever would do such a thing!

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 29
RE: Farscape - 15/3/2006 12:11:45 AM   
vic_vega

Doh!
Need to put my reading specs on next time!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Farscape Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI