Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Eh?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Eh? Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 6:47:59 PM   
Spaldron

So claiming Kermode hates blockbusters isn't a generalisation? And are you going to fully respond to counter posts or just cherry pick your way past the stuff you can't defend?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 421
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 6:52:45 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: spideed2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Credit where it's due to Whiteley though she certainly does wear a pair of tight jeans well !

Oh yes...shes an incredible looking woman.

I just dont know why a) they didnt cast an actual actress in the role and b) you would ever find her falling in love with Sam beleivable (i like Shia actually and in T1, the relationship between him and Fox works but in this he is a moaning screaming, adolesant presence who couldnt pull a beautiful woman if she was flung at him).

Couldn't agree more, in transformers he had a boyish charm and was at least relatable. Just bad writing I feel on this part too much an air of entitlement to make the character even remotely likeable.

Casting Whitely is a mystery to me. Nice arse as well though as Bay quite clearly shows us in the first five minutes of the film !

(in reply to spideed2)
Post #: 422
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 7:02:28 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

quote:

quote:

Credit where it's due to Whiteley though she certainly does wear a pair of tight jeans well !

I just dont know why a) they didnt cast an actual actress in the role and b) you would ever find her falling in love with Sam beleivable (i like Shia actually and in T1, the relationship between him and Fox works but in this he is a moaning screaming, adolesant presence who couldnt pull a beautiful woman if she was flung at him).

Couldn't agree more, in transformers he had a boyish charm and was at least relatable. Just bad writing I feel on this part too much an air of entitlement to make the character even remotely likeable.

Casting Whitely is a mystery to me. Nice arse as well though as Bay quite clearly shows us in the first five minutes of the film !

We know Bay's favourite position:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Michael_Bay_060530-F-4692S-014.jpg/800px-Michael_Bay_060530-F-4692S-014.jpg

"Phwooaarr!!"

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 4/7/2011 7:03:21 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 423
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 7:17:40 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

quote:

quote:

We know Bay's favourite position:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Michael_Bay_060530-F-4692S-014.jpg/800px-Michael_Bay_060530-F-4692S-014.jpg

"Phwooaarr!!"

Well there's the evidence ladies and gentleman, not only is Bay turned on by the sight of Whitleys arse but also men wielding great big guns !!

Fckin deviant !

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 424
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 7:45:57 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Pretty sure Kermode also highly rates Jaws, the Indiana Jones films (maybe even Crystal Skull), the first Star Wars trilogy, the first Matrix film, so the "oh, he hates commercial cinema/loves art house" is just a really, really, really inaccurate stick to beat him with.

Distinctly recall Kermode not rating the original Star Wars movies; however if I'm wrong about that then consider a mea culp added to the one above. Have hairshirt on as I type ... ;-)

Even the most snobby and dismissive of modern critics tend to rate Jaws, so I'm not sure that Kermode liking that would negate the accuracy of the original generalisation (and typing that is in no way a claim to the accuracy or otherwise of the original generalisation). I "don't like horror movies" and "really like The Shining" are two personal statements that are both true, and I don't agree that the statements are necessarily contradictory, or that the former generalisation is necessarily more problematic than most generalisations.

The only way to 'empirically' settle this would be to look at all the average reviews Kermode gives to 'blockbusters' and then
compare them to his reviews to non-blockbusters, which I don't have time for. You'd agree that, logically speaking, someone can GENERALLY hate a particular genre and still like particular examples of it?

Of course my generalisations aren't any more accurate than anyone else's. I find it more than a little ludicrous that people really think that I think that Kermode hates every blockbuster ever made and that citing a particular blockbuster he did like blows holes on what I presumably regarded as a unassailable, 100% accurate, no exceptions Truism. Depending on what definition you use, The Exorcist qualifies as a "blockbuster".

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 425
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 7:47:45 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

Wrong. It's all just opinion.But I gave actual, y'know, reasons for my opinion whereas you responded with 'No'. So, in a hypothetical Court of Film (implied by your use of the necessarily lawyerly 'substantiate') you're far more guilty of Who-Died-And-Made-You-Queen worthy hubris than me. Perhaps I could have have appended 'IMHO' before my Bad Boys 2 line but it's fair to assume that most people, unlike you, are not typing with metaphoric black cloth on their heads.

Of course it's just opinion. But the reasons you gave for claiming that "Bad Boys 2 is surely the greatest cop film ever" were weak and threadbare. Not that anyone could really back-up such a lazy statement convincingly but I was willing to see what you might come up with. To be honest I just thought you were taking the piss.

quote:

And you don't notice the post above where I immediately said "there's a degree of inaccuracy involved in such generalisations". Hardly defending generalisations, is it?

So don't make them in the first place. Take a deep breath and think before you post. Simples.

quote:

If there's an embedding option to put I SHOULD HAVE PHRASED MY ORIGINAL COMMENT DIFFERENTLY in giant, pink,flashing neon then please tell me, if only for your slow, solipsistic benefit (dear).

Solipsistic? Really?

This thread is amazing. 

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 426
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 7:48:36 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

So claiming Kermode hates blockbusters isn't a generalisation? And are you going to fully respond to counter posts or just cherry pick your way past the stuff you can't defend?

Of course I don't think that my generalisations are somehow more accurate than anyone else's. Why would I? Why would you think I do?

Give some specifics, and I'll get to them, although I'd stress that my not responding to everything instantaneously does not indicate cherry-picking. Arguing on the internet is not a priority.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 427
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 7:56:37 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

And he never likes blockbusters

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 4/7/2011 7:59:46 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 428
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 7:58:54 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

Pretty sure Kermode also highly rates Jaws, the Indiana Jones films (maybe even Crystal Skull), the first Star Wars trilogy, the first Matrix film, so the "oh, he hates commercial cinema/loves art house" is just a really, really, really inaccurate stick to beat him with.

Distinctly recall Kermode not rating the original Star Wars movies; however if I'm wrong about that then consider a mea culp added to the one above. Have hairshirt on as I type ... ;-)

Even the most snobby and dismissive of modern critics tend to rate Jaws, so I'm not sure that Kermode liking that would negate the accuracy of the original generalisation (and typing that is in no way a claim to the accuracy or otherwise of the original generalisation). I "don't like horror movies" and "really like The Shining" are two personal statements that are both true, and I don't agree that the statements are necessarily contradictory, or that the former generalisation is necessarily more problematic than most generalisations.

The only way to 'empirically' settle this would be to look at all the average reviews Kermode gives to 'blockbusters' and then
compare them to his reviews to non-blockbusters, which I don't have time for. You'd agree that, logically speaking, someone can GENERALLY hate a particular genre and still like particular examples of it?

Of course my generalisations aren't any more accurate than anyone else's. I find it more than a little ludicrous that people really think that I think that Kermode hates every blockbuster ever made and that citing a particular blockbuster he did like blows holes on what I presumably regarded as a unassailable, 100% accurate, no exceptions Truism. Depending on what definition you use, The Exorcist qualifies as a "blockbuster".

Well, regarding Star Wars, I'm also just "distinctly" remembering his opinion, so I might be that wrong on that one. I'm confident of the others, though, and I'm not sure the "well, everybody loves Jaws" argument holds that much water with me.

quote:

You'd agree that, logically speaking, someone can GENERALLY hate a particular genre and still like particular examples of it?

Yes, but I don't think he does hate that genre.

quote:

Arguing on the internet is not a priority.

WHY NOT DAMNIT IT IS FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 429
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 8:01:48 PM   
cerebusboy

MEA CULPA! MEA MAXIMUMA CULPA! AD INFINITUM!

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 430
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 8:03:29 PM   
frompage2screen

I went to see Transformers 3 AND Larry Crowne on the same day. First up was Larry Crowne which I really enjoyed. Small film, good acting roles for Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts (I am not usually a Julia Roberts fan)
Not sure what the budget was but I would guess at $25 Million.
I came out of that film and went into T3. Which was visually great, loud, dumb, and exactly what I knew it would be.
I wouldnt in any way say it was a bad film. It didnt NOT deliver anything that I thought it would. And for 150odd minutes, my ears and eyes bled.
But it reminded me of a McDonalds meal. Fine when having, but after an hour passes, I am hungry for something else.

I think I might be just burned out on the whole visual CGI fest thing with virtually no plotline. and crave the smaller more heatfelt films.
Like Larry Crowne.

Post #: 431
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 8:09:18 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

Wrong. It's all just opinion.But I gave actual, y'know, reasons for my opinion whereas you responded with 'No'. So, in a hypothetical Court of Film (implied by your use of the necessarily lawyerly 'substantiate') you're far more guilty of Who-Died-And-Made-You-Queen worthy hubris than me. Perhaps I could have have appended 'IMHO' before my Bad Boys 2 line but it's fair to assume that most people, unlike you, are not typing with metaphoric black cloth on their heads.

Of course it's just opinion. But the reasons you gave for claiming that "Bad Boys 2 is surely the greatest cop film ever" were weak and threadbare. Not that anyone could really back-up such a lazy statement convincingly but I was willing to see what you might come up with. To be honest I just thought you were taking the piss.

Lazy is a jarring word to use whilst conceding that its all just opinion. Lazy and presumably its opposite are hardly the most apt vocabulary for opinions-about-films; don't people come up with 'reasons' for liking films AFTER they , y'know, like them? If you regard thinking that Bad Boys 2 is the greatest cop film ever is an intrinsically unjustifiably opinion then isn't asking me to do so just for the lulz a bit, well, trollish?

quote:

quote:

And you don't notice the post above where I immediately said "there's a degree of inaccuracy involved in such generalisations". Hardly defending generalisations, is it?

Ah, and presumably you've never made any generalisations in all your nigh-on 1000 posts here

If you really think that generalisations have no place in discussions about robots-and-explosions movies based on a toy line then, whilst I might applaud your occupation of the philosophically principled, ideologically pure high ground, I'd argue that your discourse preferences do not most naturally reflect the subject of this thread (which might well be to your credit, of course! )

Post #: 432
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 8:10:02 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Sounds like someone's having a heart attack whilst clearly speaking ex cathedra. Ipso facto being stupido. Don't use caps like that, makes you out to be 13 not 31.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 433
RE: jaw drop - 4/7/2011 8:11:03 PM   
satchwannad

What I deserve!!??
Hold on! what I deserve is basic human rights!, and that in life is all I deserve ,everything else is a bonus…
what I deserve in a movie?
I deserve my 10 euros worth of entertainment! which is exactly what I got., Mr bay is not trying to save the world! ehh???? maybe destroy it!!?
No he is trying to make you smile by showing you things that even 5 years ago would be impossible.
What I deserve??
Maybe as critics its time to judge movies in a different way maybe its time to say was I entertained yes/no? it would make for crap reviews and smaller magazine,
but fair enough your offering your opinion as is your right.
I have to ask as I do of the Oscars every year why does film’s like the king snooozzz sorry speech win! When the majority of people in the WORLD did not care to see such? .and a film like say ohh like transformers 2 one of the highest grossing films of all time gets noting??
Ohh the snobs will say “o lord thy acting in thine film was rather brutish “..whilst this amazing rom com has juxtaposition et all yadda yadda…..
They say look at the talent in the film the art direction etc..
whooo hold on there betsy!! look at the art direction in theses film look at the genius of these blockbusters
I look at movies and video games even the shit ones different, people look at the Mona Lisa and see a masterpiece?? I look at the Mona Lisa and see crap on a canvas !
art is what the few can do and the remainder strive to do so am I comparing transformers? to the Mona Lisa ok yes I am why??? Because we take everything for granted we appreciate the talent in history an oil painting here a bridge there., and forget about the wonders that surround us now and the age of talent.
the technology, the direction bayham gave us , is a work of art the graphics a work of genious I wonder if Leonardo was alive to day could do it??/ thousands can paint better then him! who are alive today why should we not celebrate them.
O fӣk I just realised transformers is an art house movie oh!!!!!

What I deserve?? Was the movie a bit disjointed…yes. Was the movie slightly weird at the start??. YES
Was miss Huntington crap lol again yes….
was the movie a technical marvel. Yes…was the heart and soul of all the people working on it put into it. Hell sure looks like it…could they do better?? Ehh define better?? more explosions?? Then ehh yes
Was the movie entertaining hell yes J .

So what I deserve…………… I got!! J have a nice day
Kindest regards
satchwannad
Post #: 434
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 8:12:42 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

Sounds like someone's having a heart attack whilst clearly speaking ex cathedra. Ipso facto being stupido. Don't use caps like that, makes you out to be 13 not 31.

Hey, I'd kill to be 13! It's an age when it's acceptable to like Michael Bay movies ;-)

I said, immediately (scroll up), that my original generalisation was innacurate. If people could comprehend this without me having to resort to capitals then I wouldn't US, er, use them.

Post #: 435
RE: JAW DROP! - 4/7/2011 8:14:37 PM   
satchwannad

What I deserve!!??
Hold on! what I deserve is basic human rights!, and that in life is all I deserve ,everything else is a bonus…
I deserve my 10 euros worth of entertainment! which is exactly what I got., Mr bay is not trying to save the world! ehh???? maybe destroy it!!?
No he is trying to make you smile by showing you things that even 5 years ago would be impossible.
What I deserve??
Maybe as critics its time to judge movies in a different way maybe its time to say was I entertained yes/no? it would make for crap reviews and smaller magazine,
I have to ask as I do of the Oscars every year why does film’s like the king snooozzz sorry speech win! When the majority of people in the WORLD did not care to see such? .and a film like say ohh like transformers 2 one of the highest grossing films of all time gets noting??
Ohh the snobs will say “o lord thy acting in thine film was rather brutish “..whilst this amazing rom com has juxtaposition et all yadda yadda…..
whooo hold on there betsy!! look at the art direction in theses film look at the genius of these blockbusters
I look at movies and video games even the shit ones different, people look at the Mona Lisa and see a masterpiece?? I look at the Mona Lisa and see crap on a canvas !
art is what the few can do and the remainder strive to do so am I comparing transformers? to the Mona Lisa ok yes I am why??? Because we take everything for granted we appreciate the talent in history an oil painting here a bridge there., and forget about the wonders that surround us now and the age of talent.
the technology, the direction bayham gave us , is a work of art the graphics I wonder if Leonardo was alive to day could do it??/ thousands can paint better then him alive today why should we not celebrate them.
O fӣk I just realised transformers is an art house movie oh!!
What I deserve?? Was the movie a bit disjointed…yes. Was the movie slightly weird at the start??. YES
was the movie a technical marvel. Yes…was the heart and soul of all the people working on it put into it. Hell sure looks like it…could they do better?? Ehh define better?? more explosions?? Then ehh yes
Kindest regards
satchwannad

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 436
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 8:19:25 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hey, I'd kill to be 13! It's an age when it's acceptable to like Michael Bay movies ;-)

I said, immediately (scroll up), that my original generalisation was innacurate. If people could comprehend this without me having to resort to capitals then I wouldn't US, er, use them.

Well mentally, I'm sure you're there (scroll up again). You just need a magical serum to transform thou corpus to a younger and more paedophile friendly state. No-one's forcing you to 'resort' to using capitals, perhaps you would help your case if you'd just stick to making points in a rather more grown-up fashion. Rather than use base histrionic fonting to attract the attention of others. Don't be so ignorant/arrogant to suggest others can't comprehend what you're saying. I think it's patently clear they simply don't agree with you. Now, stop souring the thread.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 437
RE: JAW DROP! - 4/7/2011 8:19:52 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: satchwannad

What I deserve!!??
What I deserve??
the technology, the direction bayham gave us , is a work of art the graphics I wonder if Leonardo was alive to day could do it??/ thousands can paint better then him alive today why should we not celebrate them.
Kindest regards
satchwannad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to satchwannad)
Post #: 438
RE: JAW DROP! Now keep it closed. - 4/7/2011 8:22:52 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

quote:

What I deserve!!??
What I deserve??
I have to ask as I do of the Oscars every year why does film's like the king snooozzz sorry speech win! When the majority of people in the WORLD did not care to see such? .and a film like say ohh like transformers 2 one of the highest grossing films of all time gets noting??
Ohh the snobs will say "o lord thy acting in thine film was rather brutish "..whilst this amazing rom com has juxtaposition et all yadda yadda…..
Kindest regards
satchwannad

Reminds of that moment in "T2: RotF" when Sam has just been 'dosed' with Cybertronian symbolism and mutters like a child on a Coca-Cola sugar high.

Is the consenus that the third film is better than the second? If so, in what regards?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 439
RE: jaw drop - 4/7/2011 8:24:32 PM   
superdan

quote:

What I deserve!!??

Like what? We just got more of the same in terms of effects.

quote:

Maybe as critics its time to judge movies in a different way maybe its time to say was I entertained yes/no?

I wasn't entertained, and judging by many reviews I wasn't the only one.

quote:

I have to ask as I do of the Oscars every year why does film's like the king snooozzz sorry speech win! When the majority of people in the WORLD did not care to see such? .and a film like say ohh like transformers 2 one of the highest grossing films of all time gets noting??

Many people saw the King's Speech. Besides, box office takings aren't a measure of quality. The clap is popular, doesn't make it desirable.

quote:

Ohh the snobs will say "o lord thy acting in thine film was rather brutish "..whilst this amazing rom com has juxtaposition et all yadda yadda…..

What? Find me a review anywhere that says such things.

quote:

the technology, the direction bayham gave us , is a work of art the graphics a work of genious I wonder if Leonardo was alive to day could do it??/ thousands can paint better then him! who are alive today why should we not celebrate them.
O fӣk I just realised transformers is an art house movie oh!!!!!

Time for your medication

Post #: 440
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 8:28:16 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kermode is an arsehole. PhD and too much hair pomade do not a stylish genius make. And he never likes blockbusters - remember his evisceration of Revenge of the Sith and all the Pirates movies? And he felt obliged to make some narky criticisms about The Dark Knight, to show how he doesn't just go with the critical consensus heard (daddy-o).

In contrast, it's folly to write off Empire's review of DotM on the basis that its being compared unfavorably to arthouse films - they regularly give Four and Five Star ratings to (worthy!) action movies.

Yeah, he really hated Inception when he named it his film of the year...

Exceptions to 'rules' are precisely that. Weren't there more than a few pro-Inception reviews that emphasised how the author normally doesn't like blockbuster summer movies, Inception is an essentially atypical blockbuster etc etc? If someone hated all the major summer franchises and blockbusters of the past few years, but liked Inception, then it would still be more accurate to generalise that they 'hated' rather than 'liked' recent blockbusters, although I'll concede that there's a degree of inaccuracy involved in such generalisations

Surely the words should be that he hates blockbusters that he doesn't like? The man liked The Adjustment Bureau, Avatar and Mamma Mia.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 441
RE: jaw drop - 4/7/2011 8:28:16 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
Many people saw the King's Speech. Besides, box office takings aren't a measure of quality. The clap is popular, doesn't make it desirable.

Pedantry alert, I think it would be apt to say the clap is 'widespread' rather than popular.

Though Superdan, I think he's a wind-up merchant. His profile states he's born in 1971, yet he types like a new-born chimp.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 4/7/2011 8:30:27 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 442
RE: jaw drop - 4/7/2011 8:33:37 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

Pedantry alert, I think it would be apt to say the clap is 'widespread' rather than popular.

Though Superdan, I think he's a wind-up merchant. His profile states he's born in 1971, yet he types like a new-born chimp.

I admit it wasn't the most graceful of synonyms, but I felt it illustrated the point

And he types like a chimp? What, like typing while masturbating and throwing shit around?

Post #: 443
RE: jaw drop - 4/7/2011 8:42:19 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

I admit it wasn't the most graceful of synonyms, but I felt it illustrated the point

Though I like to think I pencilled in the few missing bits.

quote:

And he types like a chimp? What, like typing while masturbating and throwing shit around?

No, not quite. Imagine the sound a chimp makes, a kind of onomatopoeic "ooh! ooh! ahh! ahh!" whilst hitting things randomly (in this case key presses - in no clear nor definable order).

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 444
RE: jaw drop - 4/7/2011 8:42:30 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Transformers. The movie equivalent of catching chlamydia. That's hilarious !

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 445
RE: Eh? - 4/7/2011 9:25:27 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kermode is an arsehole. PhD and too much hair pomade do not a stylish genius make. And he never likes blockbusters - remember his evisceration of Revenge of the Sith and all the Pirates movies? And he felt obliged to make some narky criticisms about The Dark Knight, to show how he doesn't just go with the critical consensus heard (daddy-o).

In contrast, it's folly to write off Empire's review of DotM on the basis that its being compared unfavorably to arthouse films - they regularly give Four and Five Star ratings to (worthy!) action movies.

Yeah, he really hated Inception when he named it his film of the year...

Exceptions to 'rules' are precisely that. Weren't there more than a few pro-Inception reviews that emphasised how the author normally doesn't like blockbuster summer movies, Inception is an essentially atypical blockbuster etc etc? If someone hated all the major summer franchises and blockbusters of the past few years, but liked Inception, then it would still be more accurate to generalise that they 'hated' rather than 'liked' recent blockbusters, although I'll concede that there's a degree of inaccuracy involved in such generalisations

Surely the words should be that he hates blockbusters that he doesn't like? The man liked The Adjustment Bureau, Avatar and Mamma Mia.

The Adjustment Bureau made about $100 million worldwide IIRC. If that's a "blockbuster" then I think you're using a definition too big and vague to be of much use. And liking Avatar and Mama Mia! is not a point in the good doctor's favour

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 446
RE: JAW DROP! - 4/7/2011 9:29:44 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_71_if-everyday-life-was-directed-by-michael-bay_p17/#4

You might have a point.

Post #: 447
RE: JAW DROP! - 4/7/2011 9:39:05 PM   
darth silas

Ya know,i grew uo during the 80's and really loved Transformers as a kid.I bought the toys,the comics,and watched the cartoons.When i heard a live action film was being made i thought it sounded like a good idea.Just imagine what todays fx and a good script and action director could do i thought.

I HATED,HATED,HATED, the first Transformers movie in 2007.It was just a joke of a movie that didnt take the concept seriously.The film focused too much on the annoying human characters and silly childish humour.Heck,the Autobots didnt show up until halfway through the film! Combine that with incoherent action scenes and terrible ''pop music'',it was one of the most depressing cinema experiences of my life.

If people who enjoyed THAT found the follow ups disappointing,then im glad i gave ROTF a miss and have no intention of watching DOTM either.Hopefully,the series will be rebooted with a talented behind the scenes crew who genuinely love the concept and make a decent movie.Personally,an animated movie by pixar would be the way to go...and make the TRANSFORMERS the focus of the story!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 448
RE: JAW DROP! - 4/7/2011 9:44:40 PM   
satchwannad

hahah awesome and thank you :)

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 449
RE: jaw drop - 4/7/2011 9:51:08 PM   
satchwannad

box office taking are a measure of popular culture !therefore in a democratic society the majority rule…therefore more people like transformers then the kings speech. Therefore it’s a better movie :P….
god damn it! I dropped my pills wait ohhhh there it is…….ahhhhhhhhhhh I fell much better….

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Eh? Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI