Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Anothe 5 star Empire review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Anothe 5 star Empire review Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anothe 5 star Empire review - 6/7/2011 11:49:28 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

D- You used the words "arty farty", therefore you should die a horrible death.

You stay classy, San Diego.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 31
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 12:56:56 PM   
standbymefan

Cheers for the condescending tone benskelly. If you'd bothered to define ignorant before you used it, you'd realise that you clearly are insinuating I'm ignorant, because how can one comment on a film without giving it a chance? But you'd be wrong to say I didn't stay until the end, I did, even as others left, though I wish I hadn't bothered. Although the film does return to give the actors a chance to 'act', it still did not endear me to them - I did not get sucked in by the negative father son relationship, I thought it was a cheap ploy to gain my empathy. I will say that Hunter McCracken was a powerful force within the film and I think it's an understatement to rate Brad Pitt's abilities, but I still thought the shallow, somewhat clichd plot didn't allow talented actors to develop. And in it's attempts to seperate it's clichs from a hundred other films about messed up families, there was all the 'god' crap with the crashing waves and so on, maybe some found this profound, but to me 30 minutes with almost NIL dialogue is outrageously excessive. I've read a lot of reviews stating it's better than 2001: A Space Odyssey, and to be honest I can't help feeling people are desperate to believe our own generation has produced such a masterpiece - the difference is A Space Odyssey was revolutionary, innovative, exciting. The Tree of Life was laughable. Yes, many laughed.

So thanks, benskelly, but no thanks. Don't be such an ignoramus. I could continue to review the film to prove to you I watched it, but as you've already proved, you believe you know more about me than I know about myself, so no point wasting any more time. I never suggested I was qualified to review the film, merely wished to leave my opinion.

OH, and Stand By Me was awarded 5 stars by Empire, as did this suckfest of a film, so clearly it's all about audience opinion. Though some may be too pretentious to lump themselves in with the everyday filmgoer, I am not. I enjoy cinema, I am a regular participant. And I can tell you now, many more everyday audiences enjoyed Stand By Me than The Tree of Life, I've never seen so many disappointed and perplexed faces as I left a screening - AT THE END.

< Message edited by standbymefan -- 6/7/2011 12:58:43 PM >

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 32
RE: Anothe 5 star Empire review - 6/7/2011 3:59:05 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

D- You used the words "arty farty", therefore you should die a horrible death.

You stay classy, San Diego.

I was going to wish him cancer or call him worse than Hitler, but I went for horrible death instead.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 33
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 4:07:53 PM   
Deviation

quote:

but to me 30 minutes with almost NIL dialogue is outrageously excessive.

You mean, like 2001: A Space Odyssey which had even less dialogue throughout the entire running time? Also, nobody don't cares about audience reactions.

quote:

OH, and Stand By Me was awarded 5 stars by Empire, as did this suckfest of a film, so clearly it's all about audience opinion. Though some may be too pretentious to lump themselves in with the everyday filmgoer, I am not. I enjoy cinema, I am a regular participant. And I can tell you now, many more everyday audiences enjoyed Stand By Me than The Tree of Life, I've never seen so many disappointed and perplexed faces as I left a screening - AT THE END.

I want to know the statistics, techniques and practices you used to come to this conclusion, not that it means anything as this is all subjective opinion and using other people's reactions is utterly irrelevant.

(Don't worry though, I loved Stand by Me but I doubt how much the everyday filmgoer knows about it, I don't know a person IRL who has seen it)

< Message edited by Deviation -- 6/7/2011 4:09:04 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to standbymefan)
Post #: 34
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 4:18:59 PM   
standbymefan

Oh what a mistake it was to participate in a forum in any way shape or form when I know how pedantic people can be.

I don't need STATS, Stand By Me is a CULT film. It may not be 'well known' but it is well loved by those who have seen it (this is not speculation, it's fact, go check out the IMDB user ratings, type it into google, I should not have to do this for you...). Have you read the audience reviews for The Tree of Life on Metacritic? Let's just say most are sceptical. Say what you like about audience reactions being irrelevant, but I do not wish to live in a world where film becomes an elitist art designed not for the many but for the few. What's the use in a film which is only rated by critics? Who are the critics writing for if it isn't expected that an audience will read the review and go watch the film?

I am a fan of innovative film, but I did not think The Tree of Life offered anything profound or different. I think it tried it's damnedest and to me, it failed.

< Message edited by standbymefan -- 6/7/2011 4:34:12 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 35
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 4:24:33 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: standbymefan

And I can tell you now, many more everyday audiences enjoyed Stand By Me than The Tree of Life, I've never seen so many disappointed and perplexed faces as I left a screening - AT THE END.

And it's so nice that they have a spokesperson now.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 6/7/2011 4:25:01 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 36
RE: Anothe 5 star Empire review - 6/7/2011 4:28:44 PM   
standbymefan

Yep, that's me. I wasn't aware that it was frowned upon to recount my experience of the film. Everyone is so hyped about the film, many haven't seen it, I have. I thought my insight might be more relevant than a bunch of people who are speculating it MUST be awesome with no evidence whatsoever.

< Message edited by standbymefan -- 6/7/2011 4:31:25 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 37
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 4:32:12 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I don't need STATS, Stand By Me is a CULT film. It may not be 'well known' but it is well loved by those who have seen it (this is not speculation, it's fact, go check out the IMDB user ratings, type it into google, I should not have to do this for you...).

CULT FILMS (especially from the 80s) ARE NOT SEEN BY EVERYDAY FILMGOERS. Do you see the mainstream raving about Evil Dead 2? OH NO YOU DON'T

quote:

ave you read the audience reviews for The Tree of Life on Metacritic? Barely a one enjoyed the film

So fucking what? It has 8.0 on IMdb. It has a more divisive response on RT with 65%. Your point means nothing.

Also, stop using the internet or your anecdotes to suggest some culturally justified, objective quality on the film. I have heard very little criticism on The American IRL but RT and IMdb suggest otherwise.

quote:

Say what you like about audience reactions being irrelevant, but I do not wish to live in a world where film becomes an elitist art designed not for the many but for the few. What's the use in a film which is only rated by critics? Who are the critics writing for if it isn't expected that an audience will read the review and go watch the film?

Oh thank the lord that the everyday filmgoer has you to speak for them, to defend the art of cinema from those elitist snobs! You're the Superman of the internet. I don't care what others, audience or critic think of the film. The important bit is whether I like it, everybody else can be damned. Btw, some PEOPLE ARE LIKING IT.

quote:

I am a fan of innovative film, but I did not think The Tree of Life offered anything profound or different. I think it tried it's damnedest and to me, it failed.

Innovative film is a genre now? Speaking of which, does anyone remember how films like Barry Lyndon, Eyes Wide Shut, Citizen Kane, Blade Runner or a good number of others were received when they opened?! It wasn't adulation.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 6/7/2011 4:37:52 PM >

quote:

quote:

Post #: 38
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 4:38:05 PM   
standbymefan

Haha. You and your nyan nyan cat are far too angry about this.

Maybe I am coming off like the 'superman' of the internet, but what the fuck are we doing on this website if the internet isn't becoming a relevant part of film review? And if you don't care about what ANYONE ELSE THINKS, you wouldn't be harrassing me and you wouldn't be a member of this FILM REVIEW WEBSITE, you utter moron.

I merely wished to share my point of view, as someone who has actually seen the film, most of the UK won't until at least the 8th. CHILL THE FUCK OUT. Internet forums are too crazy for me, clearly.

< Message edited by standbymefan -- 6/7/2011 4:40:21 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 39
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 4:42:42 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Haha. You and your nyan nyan cat are far too angry about this.

Haha? Are you trolling?

quote:

Maybe I am coming off like the 'superman' of the internet, but what the fuck are we doing on this website if the internet isn't becoming a relevant part of film review?

If the internet is becoming a relevant part of film criticism, then God help us.

quote:

I merely wished to share my point of view, as someone who has actually seen the film, most of the UK won't until at least the 8th. CHILL THE FUCK OUT. Internet forums are too crazy for me, clearly.

You shared it, you didn't like it. Fair enough. There is nothing everybody enjoys. My points weren't on you not liking, it was on everything you posted. I never said anything for or against the film.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 40
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 4:45:16 PM   
standbymefan

What the fck is trolling? I don't speak internet nerd, sorry.

I seriously do not understand how you can say 'god help us' if the internet is becoming relevant, when you are a member of a film review magazine ONLINE? WHAT???????

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 41
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 4:49:35 PM   
Deviation

quote:

And if you don't care about what ANYONE ELSE THINKS, you wouldn't be harrassing me and you wouldn't be a member of this FILM REVIEW WEBSITE, you utter moron.

I just saw this edit.

And no, you missed my poorly typed point. I will argue it, but I won't use somebody else's views to culturally justify mine, ie "everybody in the cinema didn't like it so I am right in hating it" or "who rates this film".

quote:

What the fck is trolling? I don't speak internet nerd, sorry.

Yep, this proves it.

quote:

I seriously do not understand how you can say 'god help us' if the internet is becoming relevant, when you are a member of a film review magazine ONLINE? WHAT???????

Because most internet reviews and criticism (just look at IMdb and metacritic) are god-awful. Armond White was actually right on this.

You're so much fun.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 6/7/2011 4:54:36 PM >

quote:

quote:

Post #: 42
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 4:56:57 PM   
standbymefan

I justify my own opinions with my entire experience of the film. The other members of the audience are just a part of that. I only mentioned the other members of the audience when I was TOLD by some other nerd that I 'clearly didn't watch the whole film' when in fact I did.

Going off the context of your word, you're trolling too. The fact that you don't actually think these websites are any good and yet you meander through criticising other people's criticism is a little sad.

I'm a tad bored of being TYPED AT ANGRILY by people who have not yet watched this film. I'm entitled to my point of view and I don't think it makes me a spokesperson just because I want to share it on a website, why in the hell do these forums exist if it isn't possible to share opinions without being marauded? Shame.

< Message edited by standbymefan -- 6/7/2011 5:00:35 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 43
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 5:03:17 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I justify my own opinions with my entire experience of the film. The other members of the audience are just a part of that. I only mentioned the other members of the audience when I was TOLD by some other nerd that I 'clearly didn't watch the whole film' when in fact I did.

No it wasn't, it was most of what you said. You didn't say much on the film.

quote:

Going off the context of your word, you're trolling too. The fact that you don't actually think these websites are any good and yet you meander through criticising other people's criticism is a little sad.

Did I say this website isn't any good? Did I? I mentioned two popular ones which I find woeful and I generalized on most of internet criticism, but not this website. Btw, you answering back doesn't make you any less better.

Btw, I thought you didn't know what trolling means.

quote:

I'm a tad bored of being TYPED AT ANGRILY by people who have not yet watched this film. I'm entitled to my point of view and I don't think it makes me a spokesperson just because I want to share it on a website, why in the hell do these forums exist if it isn't possible to share opinions without being marauded? Shame.

Hell of a way to miss the point bro.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 6/7/2011 5:04:45 PM >

quote:

quote:

Post #: 44
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 5:06:50 PM   
standbymefan

What can I say? I'm the superman of the internet, words cannot tarry me. Dictionary.com is my weapon of choice.

Any less better? eh? Oh and I thought you didn't like generalisation. Two examples of 'woeful' websites is hardly proof, ye of facts and stats.

I spoke about the actors, the shallow plot, the medley of clipart, the comparisons to 2001.. Lordy Superman is expected to do too much.

Bro, I'm a girl. And I do not see how I missed any point. There's a difference between debate and derision.

< Message edited by standbymefan -- 6/7/2011 5:10:13 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 45
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 5:13:03 PM   
Deviation

You mean those four and five sentences? They really weren't much.

quote:

Any less better? eh?

Yes, not any less or more sad as you're doing the same. Also calling people nerds doesn't make you any better. Just saying.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 46
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 5:14:32 PM   
standbymefan

No-one but a nerd would get so het up about another user's review on a website. Just sayin'.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 47
RE: So bad... - 6/7/2011 5:25:27 PM   
Deviation

Oh really? That's a great comeback. Completely destroyed me, especially when coming from someone whose using the internet to tell me this. 

< Message edited by Deviation -- 6/7/2011 5:28:11 PM >

quote:

quote:

Post #: 48
- 7/7/2011 12:59:41 AM   
fess38

Fantastic......loved it.....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 49
RE: Review of the "review" - 7/7/2011 10:37:49 AM   
narmour

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamiemulls

I'm sorry but the review was pretentious.

One man's pretentious is another man's delightfully vivid.

Oh and well done standbymefan and Deviation, you have successfully turned a half way intelligent adult discussion into a childish slagging match. Hope you're pleased.

(in reply to jamiemulls)
Post #: 50
RE: Review of the "review" - 7/7/2011 10:43:19 AM   
Drew_231

Jaysus, if I wanted a continuous back and forth I'd be watching the tennis

Cant we leave the review threads to people who have actually seen the movie and want to comment? Take it outside
Anyway, I enjoyed reading the review and will be seeing the film when it comes out

(in reply to narmour)
Post #: 51
RE: Review of the "review" - 7/7/2011 11:36:27 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drew_231

Cant we leave the review threads to people who have actually seen the movie and want to comment? Take it outside
Anyway, I enjoyed reading the review and will be seeing the film when it comes out

^
This
Cut it out both of you please.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 52
RE: Review of the "review" - 7/7/2011 1:02:16 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Oh and well done standbymefan and Deviation, you have successfully turned a half way intelligent adult discussion into a childish slagging match. Hope you're pleased.

Fucking worth it.

(On a serious note, you're absolutely right and I apologize. Especially on the last three posts I posted, they had nothing of value in them, but standbymefan stopped offering anything decent and kept missing the goddamn point)

quote:

quote:

(in reply to narmour)
Post #: 53
RE: Anothe 5 star Empire review - 8/7/2011 6:40:00 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeditommo

This is another example of why I cancelled my subsciption to Empire. A few years ago a 5 star review was a reason to go to the cinema and watch a classic. Nowadays they only seem to give 5 stars to obscure films that nobody wants to watch. If you are saying this film is unmissablle then why is it an avid cinema goer like myself has no interest in seeing it, After 6 weeks on release in the US it has taken 7.4 million dollars and has the same averagie viewer rating as Transformers 3. I dp find nowadays empire seems to be mainly catering for the people who love the arty farty type of cinema and is against the massive blockbusters that keep cinemas open. I do go see a wide range of films from transformers to Hurt locker ( another 5 star waste of time ) yet nowadys if I took empires advice I would probably have only visited the cinema a handful of times this year rather than the 30 visits I have made. Why can empire not review films in context, this is a mindless blockbuster so I will review it in that context rather than conmapring it directly against films like the tree of life that has such limited appeal. Nobody expects great acting in transformers we just want to know is it fun.

Arty-farty? If that means "anything more cerebral than Transformers" then Hallelujah for Terrence Malick! And the fact that the most popular and acclaimed actors in the world are queuing up to work with Malick negates rather your 'I don't like it, so nobody does' solipstic garbage. Empire is against blockbuster? LOL. Yeah, right. I really wish they'd have a blockbuster on the cover one day, instead of devoting most their coverage to Terrence Malick and other cultists

(in reply to jeditommo)
Post #: 54
RE: So bad... - 8/7/2011 6:44:44 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Cheers for the condescending tone benskelly. If you'd bothered to define ignorant before you used it, you'd realise that you clearly are insinuating I'm ignorant, because how can one comment on a film without giving it a chance? But you'd be wrong to say I didn't stay until the end, I did, even as others left, though I wish I hadn't bothered. Although the film does return to give the actors a chance to 'act', it still did not endear me to them -I did not get sucked in by the negative father son relationship, I thought it was a cheap ploy to gain my empathy. I will say that Hunter McCracken was a powerful force within the film and I think it's an understatement to rate Brad Pitt's abilities, but I still thought the shallow, somewhat clichd plot didn't allow talented actors to develop. And in it's attempts to seperate it's clichs from a hundred other films about messed up families, there was all the 'god' crap with the crashing waves and so on, maybe some found this profound, but to me 30 minutes with almost NIL dialogue is outrageously excessive. I've read a lot of reviews stating it's better than 2001: A Space Odyssey, and to be honest I can't help feeling people are desperate to believe our own generation has produced such a masterpiece - the difference is A Space Odyssey was revolutionary, innovative, exciting. The Tree of Life was laughable. Yes, many laughed.

So thanks, benskelly, but no thanks. Don't be such an ignoramus. I could continue to review the film to prove to you I watched it, but as you've already proved, you believe you know more about me than I know about myself, so no point wasting any more time. I never suggested I was qualified to review the film, merely wished to leave my opinion.

Standbymefan, someone who said you were ignorant and uneducated for disliking The Tree of Life would indeed be using both ad hom and irrelvant inversion of the ol' arguing-from-authority fallacy. You doing the same thing to justify your opinions, by pointing out that you visited the Lourve (!) and lots of people laughed (!!) is equally ridiculous. Although , if memory serves, Kevin Smith got a standing ovation for Clerks II at Cannes therefore that must be a great movie !

(I love Kevin Smith films, which is why I used that example)

Post #: 55
RE: So bad... - 8/7/2011 6:52:16 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Cheers for the condescending tone benskelly. If you'd bothered to define ignorant before you used it, you'd realise that you clearly are insinuating I'm ignorant, because how can one comment on a film without giving it a chance? But you'd be wrong to say I didn't stay until the end, I did, even as others left, though I wish I hadn't bothered. Although the film does return to give the actors a chance to 'act', it still did not endear me to them -I did not get sucked in by the negative father son relationship, I thought it was a cheap ploy to gain my empathy. I will say that Hunter McCracken was a powerful force within the film and I think it's an understatement to rate Brad Pitt's abilities, but I still thought the shallow, somewhat clichd plot didn't allow talented actors to develop. And in it's attempts to seperate it's clichs from a hundred other films about messed up families, there was all the 'god' crap with the crashing waves and so on, maybe some found this profound, but to me 30 minutes with almost NIL dialogue is outrageously excessive. I've read a lot of reviews stating it's better than 2001: A Space Odyssey, and to be honest I can't help feeling people are desperate to believe our own generation has produced such a masterpiece - the difference is A Space Odyssey was revolutionary, innovative, exciting. The Tree of Life was laughable. Yes, many laughed.

Actually, if you compared negative reviews of 2001 and The Tree of Life you'd find a lot of similarities. Many is the time I've heard someone denounce 2001 with 'it's just 20 minutes of monkeys!" or "the end has dialogue for ages! And just images!". Your hackneyed citing of 'plot' represents a similarly needless misreading to those who denounce 2001 in that way. Kids at school are told that good writing equals a laundry list of 'character' plus 'plot' plus 'themes' despite the fact that the 20th century's greatest books (Ulysses, say) necessarily challenge such reductionist formulations. Even more ludicrous is when people take the same checklist to film which is, afterall, a VISUAL medium. Critics condemning Malick for being too visual are like people condemning poets for using words. If you don't like you don't like, and this is all just opinion, but ex cathedra denunciations of "laughable" are not the same thing as "many laughed" (if it is, then why isn't this an 'objectively' five star film since it got lots of, y'know, Five Star ratings)

Malick does what nobody else can do. This film, like Kubrick's, will still be enchanting when the latest workaday Good Plot+Good Character+Good Actors=Good Film workaday blockbuster has long went from the Hollywood factory line to the online equivalent of the pound shop bin.

Post #: 56
RE: So bad... - 8/7/2011 6:55:00 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I know more people who like Dirty Dancing than Citizen Kane. Many of whom STAYED TO THE END. Ergo, Dirty Dancing is an objectively better film!

It speaks volumes that you regard 'perplexed' as necessarily a bad thing in art. One imagines that Malick won't be able to sleep at night, such is his guilt over producing a film that engenders audience responses other than "pleasantly entertained" or "deafened by Dolby".

Post #: 57
RE: Review of the "review" - 8/7/2011 6:57:06 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: narmour

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamiemulls

I'm sorry but the review was pretentious.

One man's pretentious is another man's delightfully vivid.

Man alive. Can anybody actually cite ONE sentence from the review whose meaning is unclear? Or ONE needlessly obscure word used? Pretentious does not mean 'not stupid'.

(in reply to narmour)
Post #: 58
RE: Review of the "review" - 8/7/2011 7:00:19 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drew_231

^
This
Cut it out both of you please.

Saw this film today. Masterpiece; IM, of course, HO. Some people did walk out. If I was in the mood for a few-pints Taken-style movie I might have been disappointed too. I find it strange that the people who disliked the movie are simultaneously condemning the review here for not giving them a sense of what it would be like. The reviewer called it art. Those who hated it are exemplified by the poster who called it 'arty-farty', which sounds like the reviewer did the job.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 59
RE: Review of the "review" - 8/7/2011 9:45:03 PM   
adambatman82

Saw the film this morning and utterly loved it. Briefly wrote up my thoughts soon after, but working on a proper review of it at the moment. If its not too long I'll stick it in here later. But yeah, the film was magnificent. I can understand why many wouldn't like it tho, and we had a couple of walkouts too (4 people out of an audience of 12 left during the first cosmic set-piece).

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Anothe 5 star Empire review Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI