Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 12:50:08 PM   
Rgirvan44

Nah, it was always coming out next weekend. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 91
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 12:59:53 PM   
MonsterCat

I want to check out the prequel. And by all accounts Mary Elizabeth Winstead is very good in it.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 92
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 1:12:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I want to check out  Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Edited for honesty.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 93
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 1:16:44 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

I want to check out  Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Edited for honesty.

Yeah pretty much.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 94
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 1:27:53 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Definitely looking forward to getting this on blu ray, cant wait in fact! Watched the original on blu ray recently. It was cool to see it in hi def.

If you cant wait to see the film,then why dont you go see it at the cinema? Its being released very soon ist it?

Because going to see films at the cinema is, imo a waste of money

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 95
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 1:31:53 PM   
MonsterCat

A DVD of the film will cost more than a cinema ticket, shirley? And what if you're stuck with a film you don't like?

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 96
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 1:33:24 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I have a system, dont worry about it, not really for you to concern yourself with!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 97
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 1:33:54 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

And i dont buy dvds anyway

Post #: 98
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 1:34:59 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

I have a system, dont worry about it, not really for you to concern yourself with!

Fair enough. Just wondering...

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 99
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 2:02:41 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Sorry if that came across as snappy, im just fed up of people always asking me why i dont see films at the cinema! Cos its effing expensive, full of chavs and the picture quality is crap! Whereas i can buy a blu ray new, if i dont like it i can trade it and only lose out on less than it would cost me to rent it anyway. If i saw a movie at the cinema and then bought the blu ray, ive then spent twice as much as i need to on it! Frankly this is insanity to my mind. Every time i go to the cinema i have a horrible experience, cinemas are shit and an extortionate way to watch movies imo. Blu ray blind buys all the way.

Finally, im an excellent judge of what movies i will like

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 100
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 2:21:26 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Sorry if that came across as snappy, im just fed up of people always asking me why i dont see films at the cinema! Cos its effing expensive, full of chavs and the picture quality is crap! Whereas i can buy a blu ray new, if i dont like it i can trade it and only lose out on less than it would cost me to rent it anyway. If i saw a movie at the cinema and then bought the blu ray, ive then spent twice as much as i need to on it! Frankly this is insanity to my mind. Every time i go to the cinema i have a horrible experience, cinemas are shit and an extortionate way to watch movies imo. Blu ray blind buys all the way.

Bloody hell! Id hate to live where you live!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 101
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 2:31:41 PM   
MonsterCat

I can't imagine never going to cinema. I guess I'm lucky that my local has pretty good projection quality and a low tolerance for troublemakers.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 102
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 4:36:43 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Its called the midlands and its a shithole! Kinda like the rest of the uk actually!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 103
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 5:33:12 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

I can't imagine never going to cinema.

No one's asking you to!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 104
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 6:56:05 PM   
MonsterCat

You have something on your shoulder, Don. No, the other side. No, that thing that looks like a chip. Yeah, right there...

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 23/11/2011 6:59:46 PM >

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 105
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 7:18:13 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Doesn't one of your locals do an unlimited monthly scheme? Its really good value for money imo. As for the picture quality most multiplexes these days have all digital screens which look great, no scratches like you used to get back when they used traditional prints and if you hate chavs in the cinema go to early or afternoon screenings. The chavs only show up at night.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 106
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 7:20:36 PM   
MonsterCat

Don't make any perfectly innocent statements or ask questions, Spaldron. Don doesn't like it.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 23/11/2011 7:21:04 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 107
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 7:27:48 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

You have something on your shoulder, Don. No, the other side. No, that thing that looks like a chip. Yeah, right there...

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 108
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 7:29:10 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Doesn't one of your locals do an unlimited monthly scheme? Its really good value for money imo. As for the picture quality most multiplexes these days have all digital screens which look great, no scratches like you used to get back when they used traditional prints and if you hate chavs in the cinema go to early or afternoon screenings. The chavs only show up at night.

That doesn't alter the expense issue, which is a huge deciding factor. I also much prefer the comfort of watching something at home!

Anyway back on topic, looking forward to The Thing on Blu Ray

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 109
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 7:49:11 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Nah, it was always coming out next weekend. 

Thanks for letting me know.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 110
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 24/11/2011 1:14:40 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Lets face it, it was damned from the day it was announced.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 111
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 24/11/2011 1:58:52 PM   
Rgirvan44

So was the Dawn of the Dead remake - and by being good, it turned around the outright hatred for the project. 

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 112
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 24/11/2011 2:29:56 PM   
paul.mccluskey

3 stars in the new issue of Empire. I'm surprised, I expected it to get panned.

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 113
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 24/11/2011 5:53:23 PM   
matty_b

Nah, three stars is exactly what I predicted...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 114
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 24/11/2011 5:54:41 PM   
kumar

When is the review online? Im kind of keen to see this film...

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 115
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 27/11/2011 9:16:17 PM   
Gazz

Some spoilers ahead

I've seen the film now and it probably comes as no surprise to anyone to hear that I really didn't connect with it.

The entire film is a poorly executed rehash of the Carpenter's, only diluted and dumbed down for the cheap seats. I stopped counting the times the creatures method of assimilation was explained to us around the third though I know they continued to beyond that. It plays out like a rushed version of Carpenter's film (as entire scenes hit almost exactly the same beats despite this being a different crew), however more focus is placed on action orientated monster set pieces. What deviations are made with the creature stand in complete contrast to the way it has already been established to act. One could have hoped that in assimilating the original film they could have absorbed some of the key points that made it so great (reliance on character, paranoia and the slow build of tension).

However, looking past how this prequel compares to Carpenter's horror classic, the film still fails to establish a consistent character of it's own for the creature. At one point it transforms and shoots tentacles across a room at great speed within a couple of seconds, but when alone with the heroine it attacks on foot despite her being no more than a couple of yards away. Next we see that it is able to shed parts of body in order to attack potential prey, but when our heroine is caught just out of arms reach it displays no such ability. Also why does this stealthy imitator of men and women continue to expose itself in situations where it isn't under threat (as in the helicopter)? And why does it even leave the spaceship in the first place if it's clearly operational? And why doesn't the creature assimilate the herione in the film's final moments as she's both unarmed and alone? Why does it instead doom itself by gifting her it's flamethrower?

'Why?' is a crippling question the film simply doesn't have an answer for.

I agree with most who say that we simply see too much of the creature. I'm very much of the opinion that the inevitable revelation of the monster in Carpenter's film is a punch line to 20-30 minutes worth of tension and paranoia. Our brief glimpse at this morphing monster simply wouldn't have been effective without that slow build. Unfortunately this prequel moves at such a break neck pace that any thought of tension is usually as a result of further aping of the Carpenter film, as we're treated to another far less effective version of the test scene. Speaking of 'morphing', the creature's transformations are over in a matter of seconds. In Carpenter's film we were introduced to a continuously morphing creature that had no real form of it's own unless it was imitating an individual. Here those torturous transformations are whittled down to a few seconds before the creature mindlessly attacks.

There are some plus points. I enjoyed the attention to detail with the set design, thought the sound of the creature was effective (those unearthly screams are bang on) and although the characters are pretty one-dimensional (further robbing us of tension) no one really shits the bed. But despite the efforts of the cast they're simply given too little to work with. I could tell you how the film and character dynamic would play out from the cast list alone (when will producers stop trying to shoe horn Ripley clones into horror films? I thought they only made 8 of those fuckers).

Anyhow none of that really matters as this film failed before they even shot a single frame due to it's inherent redundancy. Most of our questions about the Norwegian crew had already been answered in Carpenter's film as the very same fate befalls their American counter parts. In offering us the same situation, in the same place, with similar people at around the same time they've simply forgotten to offer us something new.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 28/11/2011 11:37:28 AM >

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 116
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 27/11/2011 9:26:04 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i'm still really excited to see this, i think im really going to enjoy as a monster movie, regardless of it being a prequel to The Thing.

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 117
Things are exactly what they used to be! - 27/11/2011 9:46:40 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazz

In offering us the same situation, in the same place, with similar people at around the same time they've simply forgotten to offer us something new.

SPOILERS AHOY!

Couldn't agree more, to the extent of frequently offering us almost the exact same scenes.  Mis-firing flamethrowers?  Check.  Everyone getting tested at flamethrower point? Check.  Would-be prison cells not so secure after all? Check,

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 27/11/2011 9:47:38 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 118
RE: Things are exactly what they used to be! - 28/11/2011 12:26:06 AM   
Spaldron

So its a remake masquerading as a prequel?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 119
RE: Things are exactly what they used to be! - 28/11/2011 11:39:55 AM   
Gazz

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazz

In offering us the same situation, in the same place, with similar people at around the same time they've simply forgotten to offer us something new.

SPOILERS AHOY!

Couldn't agree more, to the extent of frequently offering us almost the exact same scenes.  Mis-firing flamethrowers?  Check.  Everyone getting tested at flamethrower point? Check.  Would-be prison cells not so secure after all? Check,

Yup, they pretty much cherry picked the majority of major set pieces from Carpenter's film. Even the whole initial blood test being sabotaged was stolen.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

So its a remake masquerading as a prequel?

Absolutely.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 28/11/2011 12:19:41 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI