Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 14/10/2011 12:46:48 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: BooRadley

Carpenter's film is a classic but it's not a sacred text and it can't actually be spoiled.

Oh my god I whole heartedly agree with this.

It is impossible for a bad sequel/remake/prequel to ruin a classic film like The Thing.

Even if I do end up hating the prequel, I seriously doubt that it will make me look at The Thing in a different light.

John Carpenter's The Thing is a fucking amazing film. Nothing's going to change that.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to BooRadley)
Post #: 61
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 14/10/2011 3:52:39 PM   
Gazz

quote:

Seriously guys, do you actually like going to the movies?

Yes, why else would we be here? It's precisely my love of movies (specifically John Carpenters original film of the same name) that has led me to be quite so vocal about just how this prequel/remake is looking, which is not too great in my opinion.

quote:

Some of the posts above and that taking it all way too seriously YouTube video seem to suggest that you are working yourselves up to hate the prequel no matter what.

As said in the very video you mention, I'm simply pointing out faults with the trailers and clips that I've found. If it was the other way round and this film looked to live up to the task, I would be just as vocal in that regard. And I will gladly eat my own words if the film turns out to be great but looking at the reviews released so far, my problems and fears raised by the advertising campaign seem to be simply expanded upon on screen.

quote:

Carpenter's film is a classic but it's not a sacred text and it can't actually be spoiled. Relax already. Have fun Have an open mind. It's not that important.

I'm well aware that Carpenter's film cannot be spoiled (nor do I recall stating the contrary) but that simply doesn't negate the fact that to me the very idea of a prequel is completely unnecessary at its core and nor have the very people who have made the film provided me with a single reason to suggest otherwise.

I'm all for fun in cinema and I've enjoyed plenty of films in my time but you've yet to convince me why I should accept any old trash as demonstrated in your following comment:

quote:

Characterisation: OK. Not great. This is a horror/SF movie. No surprises there.

What? Characterisation is not typical of Sci-Fi/Horror? Well it was in Carpenter's film. Each character was a fully formed individual with their own ticks and quirks. It was part of the paranoia. The thing could assimilate you right down to those minute details. If the characters weren't fully formed it simply wouldn't have worked. Yet now you expect us to openly accept half formed characters because it's expected of the genre. And I can easily not care about the plight of a group of scientists stuck in Antartica with an alien species if I'm offered no reason to.

I'm glad you liked the film and I'm sure I'll certainly get round to watching it too but you've not offered a single valid reason as to why this prequel cannot or should not be judged against Carpenter's classic or justified it's very existence beyond seemingly providing another mediocre horror sequel/prequel/reboot/remakes to a long list of mediocre horror sequel/prequel/reboot/remakes. More crucially, neither have the filmmakers or marketing department. That's precisely what my video is about. I enjoy cinema, I enjoy the experience of watching films but most of all I enjoy a good film more than I do wasting my time on mediocrity. To even suggest that I'm incapable of enjoying a film simply because I'm watching with a critical eye is absolute bullshit of the highest order.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 14/10/2011 4:15:29 PM >

(in reply to BooRadley)
Post #: 62
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 14/10/2011 4:57:04 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah, I am sorry, but just because it is genre doesn't give it an excuse to have lazy characters.

And they want you to compare the film to Carpenters. I mean, at times it looks like the same film. You know what I wouldn't have been against - just another remake. The Thing is a remake, so why not do it again?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 63
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 14/10/2011 4:59:18 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I still wanna see it. See I don't worship the original (I'm not saying any of you do or thats a bad thing if you did btw) but I like it. A lot. So I'm hoping I won't be as judgemental going into it. All most all the reviews I've read -Arrow in The Head, Fangoria, Dread Central, Shock Till You Drop, state it's well made and effective. But they keep comparing it to Caprenters, again why wouldn't they? Thats fine. But it's obvious the reviewers are bemoaning the tarnish it brings to the original- which is basically CGI and also, more interesting is that I read - no spoilers- the premake if you will sort of changes your perspective on the events which unfold in Carpenters. I think thats pissed off a lot of people. Still I'm going into this one with an open mind!! But looking forward to seeing how the die hard Thing fans react. I think a lot of nay sayers are gonna go and see this despite the pre based hatred. Looking forward to the reactions!

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 64
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 14/10/2011 5:24:44 PM   
Scott_

I'd be much more into this if it was actually Norweigen, instead of putting Americans in there. Is there some reason the guys from Carpenters have no idea theres Americans in the other camp?

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 65
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 14/10/2011 8:26:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

I am going to keep an open mind. I am not one of these people that runs screaming from CGI. Although it is about how it is used and not used. Like, body horror is likely more effective with actual effects, but big shots of spaceships in the snow, and showing a fast moving creature likely could benefit from CGI.

We shall see.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 66
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 14/10/2011 11:41:44 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

I'd be much more into this if it was actually Norweigen, instead of putting Americans in there. Is there some reason the guys from Carpenters have no idea theres Americans in the other camp?

Corpses don't have discernible accents?

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 67
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 14/10/2011 11:47:50 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Yeah, I am sorry, but just because it is genre doesn't give it an excuse to have lazy characters.

And they want you to compare the film to Carpenters. I mean, at times it looks like the same film. You know what I wouldn't have been against - just another remake. The Thing is a remake, so why not do it again?

possibly cos they might want to also make a sequel to Carpenter's as well as a prquel, and a kick off point for one could well (employing my 'off the top of my head' bent on this site) be the rescue of Kurt Russell's character (by help that arrives too late for the Norweigian camp) and his his safe delivery to an urban environment...for THINGS!!! Given the size of the character's beard in the original, Russell could probably reprise the role, with a little 'frostbite make up' to cover ageing lines.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 15/10/2011 12:24:57 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 68
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 14/10/2011 11:49:45 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

quote:

Corpses don't have discernible accents?

Except Dracula.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 69
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 16/10/2011 8:35:55 AM   
BooRadley

quote:

The Americans are all outsiders. They are not usually on the base.

Spooky, but misunderstood...

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 70
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 16/10/2011 8:41:11 AM   
BooRadley

quote:

To even suggest that I'm incapable of enjoying a film simply because I'm watching with a critical eye is absolute bullshit of the highest order.

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. You just seem to have spent a hell of a lot of time (and effort with that video) whinging about something you haven't actually seen. That's absurd. Go and see it. You might even like it. And at least then you'll actually know what your talking about instead of guessing and prejudging.

< Message edited by BooRadley -- 16/10/2011 8:42:33 AM >

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 71
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 16/10/2011 11:31:13 AM   
Gazz

quote:

quote:

To even suggest that I'm incapable of enjoying a film simply because I'm watching with a critical eye is absolute bullshit of the highest order.

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort.

Well first there's this:

Seriously guys, do you actually like going to the movies?
Relax already. Have fun Have an open mind.

Which is then followed by reminders of how much fun you'e having in front of the silver screen because you don't take things seriously, as if we're missing out.

quote:

You just seem to have spent a hell of a lot of time (and effort with that video) whinging about something you haven't actually seen.

I've said it in the video and in this very thread multiple times but once more:

"I'm simply pointing out faults with the trailers and clips that I've found."

And I can assure you, I have seen all the trailers and clips released so far. My issue has always been with the footage in the marketing campaign and I have always conceded that there may be a chance for me to eat my own words if things turn out otherwise (and by god I hope they do, though that's looking less likely as the day goes by). If you don't agree with anything I have to say or if you think I'm missing out on a major piece of information/ context that would change my argument completely then feel free to say so. But if all you're going to do is complain like I don't have a right to an opinion on the footage in the trailers/ clips, how terribly the film has been sold or just how unnecessary this prequel is at it's core (y'know, things that can be discussed/ judged without seeing the film) then I've wasted enough of my life on you already.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 16/10/2011 11:36:47 AM >

(in reply to BooRadley)
Post #: 72
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 22/10/2011 10:54:19 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Gotta say after the megre box-office in the US was it worth it don't think it stood any chance from the off what with the bashing it got on the net for being supposedly a remake which lets not forget was also a remake of Howard Hawks classic.

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 73
RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. - 22/10/2011 12:29:31 PM   
Gazz

Carpenter's film is more an adaptation of the same source material than it is a remake (although it does feature some specific homages). However the major difference between Carpenter's film and this prequel/remake is that the previous film offered a whole new take on the source material, earning it a right to be judged by it's own merits, whereas this latest film seems to be in the habit of simply imitating what has came before but with none of the class.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 74
Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 15/11/2011 10:26:46 AM   
finitribe

Gazz says that the remake is imitating the original. How apt, as that was the premise of the original film anyway!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 75
CGI versus Animatronics - 15/11/2011 10:54:21 AM   
finitribe

The original film is in my all time top three. This film has not dated as far as I'm concerned and the speceial effects stand up really well even now. Anyone watched the The Faculty lately? with its CGI special effects that look more like a cartoon drawing now! This remake and all of its state of the art CGI will look dated quick time.

Post #: 76
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 15/11/2011 12:12:42 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: finitribe

Gazz says that the remake is imitating the original. How apt, as that was the premise of the original film anyway!

Not really - Thing From Another World has broad narrative similarities, but The Thing isn't what most would call a remake.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to finitribe)
Post #: 77
I saw The Thing in america - 17/11/2011 10:51:06 PM   
warneford87

As a huge fan of the original John Carpenter film, i walked into the cinema with very low expectations. I was pleasantly suprised to find that this prequel is actually pretty damn good. The acting is solid and it nails the atmosphere of the original pretty well. The only problem i had was with the actual designs and cgi of the thing. Was not a patch on the 25 year old original. But i would give this a solid 4 stars out of 5.

Post #: 78
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 22/11/2011 9:59:13 PM   
BooRadley

quote:

By his own admission, Gazz likes to point out the faults. Glass is half empty etc etc...

(in reply to finitribe)
Post #: 79
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 10:43:07 AM   
Gazz

quote:

quote:

By his own admission, Gazz likes to point out the faults. Glass is half empty etc etc...

When ever did I say that? I did however state:

quote:

I'm simply pointing out faults with the trailers and clips that I've found. If it was the other way round and this film looked to live up to the task, I would be just as vocal in that regard.

Maybe when you're done adding nothing to arguments that have already been dismissed you could actually bring something of use to the discussion. Just a crazy thought.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 23/11/2011 10:45:02 AM >

(in reply to BooRadley)
Post #: 80
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 10:48:34 AM   
Rgirvan44

I have yet to hear one good word about this movie from friends of mine over in the States. Pointless is the phrase that has been used more than once. 

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 81
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 10:52:02 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Definitely looking forward to getting this on blu ray, cant wait in fact! Watched the original on blu ray recently. It was cool to see it in hi def.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 82
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 11:02:41 AM   
Gazz

The original looks absolutely splendid in HD. They really did a good job with the transfer in my opinion.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I have yet to hear one good word about this movie from friends of mine over in the States. Pointless is the phrase that has been used more than once.

Same here. I've only heard one good thing about the film from a source I usually trust and even he started with 'when you take it away from Carpenter's film...'

And the amount of people that have sent me messages on youtube to say how they think I got the film just right in my preview video is quite staggering considering I've not actually seen it yet!

< Message edited by Gazz -- 23/11/2011 11:14:32 AM >

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 83
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 11:08:46 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

It looks ok imo. Dont get me wrong, its the best it has ever looked for the home market but i have so many catalogue titles that put it to shame. Fantastic movie in every way though

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 84
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 11:17:20 AM   
Gazz

Yes, there are better looking transfers out there but as you say it is the best that the film has ever looked and considering the amount of classics that have fallen under poor DNR work or no work at all, Carpenter's film is just about right in my opinion.

Post #: 85
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 11:20:18 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Oh yeah, for 5 quid i'm in no way complaining!

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 86
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 11:27:49 AM   
Gazz

My shelves are practically full of 5 blu-rays. It doesn't even matter if I dislike the film in question. I feel that at that price it would be rude not to. I think I have a problem

Post #: 87
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 11:30:50 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Well i certainty wouldnt buy anything i didnt like but its great to be able to get so many bargain blu rays these days. It is beyond me why more folk dont upgrade!

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 88
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 12:08:57 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Definitely looking forward to getting this on blu ray, cant wait in fact! Watched the original on blu ray recently. It was cool to see it in hi def.

If you cant wait to see the film,then why dont you go see it at the cinema? Its being released very soon ist it?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 89
RE: Thats not The Thing, Thats an imitation! - 23/11/2011 12:48:23 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

If you cant wait to see the film,then why dont you go see it at the cinema? Its being released very soon ist it?

Was it not supposed to come out in the UK in October. I have a feeling it's poor box office in America means it might just go to DVD. Hope not really looking forward to this. Love both the 50s and 80s version.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Saw 'The Thing' yesterday. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI