Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

I THOUGHT THIS FILM WAS ABOUT BRIDESMAIDS?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> I THOUGHT THIS FILM WAS ABOUT BRIDESMAIDS? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I THOUGHT THIS FILM WAS ABOUT BRIDESMAIDS? - 24/7/2011 1:12:51 PM   
lewisb548

First of all the Bridesmaids are barely in any of this, this film is just all about Wiig basically. Now we all know all the critics loved this, I didn't love this, but I certainly liked it, there are some stone cold boring moments, but other moments are actually very funny, the opening scene inlcuded as Jon Hamm nails Wiig in several different positions its hard not to laugh at that.
Many people will dismiss this as just another dumb chick flick, well its more of an adult very funny rom-com.
Wiig as wonderful as she is is a bore in this film while the bridesmaids are very funny, Helen pulled off with charm by (Rose Bryne.) is especially funny and I liked her character, unlike most viewers. And the funniest bits of the film are jolted into place by her.
And as her stepson says "Helen just fuck off." That kid deserves a medal for best and funniest cameo of the year. Mellisa Mccarthy is especially funny as the Alan-esque, Megan, but one very weird part of the film is a lesbian kiss that just comes and goes like dust in the wind, shared between Wendi Mclendon Covey and the offices Ellie Kemper. The bridesmaids are the funniest characters in the film while Maya Rudolph as always is just plain awful. Chris'O'Dowd is a delight as is this film, but the steam in this comedy seems to run low after the first half, and we really wish that we could have seen what happened in Vegas, when they all flew there, maybe them in Vegas would be a better sequel. I would happily add this to my dvd collection and I would recommend this for Apatow films but dont expect a masterpiece, just expect a half decent, occassionally very funny comedy with brilliant turns from the bridesmaids, this is the kind of comedy you would happily watch with your girlfriend.
Maybe a sequel where they go to Vegas? This isn't the new hangover but its still quite good.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Hilarious - 27/7/2011 8:48:05 AM   
MartinBlank76

Probably the most consistently funny film I have seen in the cinema this year, (though to be fair, the last comedy I went to see was the awful Your Highness so maybe the competition hasnt been too strong), Bridesmaids is more than just laughs, it also has good characters and plenty of heart to set it on its way.

Too many comedies nowadays are usually poor films made worthwhile by some funny moments, Bridesmaids happens to deliver the laughs with an actual good film around it. The cast with Whig (who is awesome), bryne and McCarthy being the standouts, are great though what is george dawes doing there? Him and his sister are about the only part of the film that didnt work.

Some great setpieces, chief among them the fitting and the airplane scene, but even when it wasnt making you howl with laughter it was still consistently amusing.

8/10

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to lewisb548)
Post #: 32
RE: I THOUGHT THIS FILM WAS ABOUT BRIDESMAIDS? - 27/7/2011 10:27:54 AM   
szoni

I quite agree with you, I wished it would have continued in Vegas.
A filthy, brutal scene there with women would be great

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to lewisb548)
Post #: 33
RE: I THOUGHT THIS FILM WAS ABOUT BRIDESMAIDS? - 31/7/2011 12:18:25 AM   
theoriginalcynic

Bridesmaids.  Itís basically the female Hangover, itís good fun with a great cast but itís overlong.  Why is every film trying to hit the two hour mark these days? Some movies just donít need it! The gross out humour didnít really work for me.  Iím not a huge fan of ladettes. What ever happened to manors and class? Not the F word every two seconds.  Iím not a prude, I just find the whole thing boring.  We can swear, yeah, we can throw up, yeah. zzzzzzzzzz.  Empire is being over generous with film ratings these days.  Four stars, really? Three at a push.

(in reply to szoni)
Post #: 34
Bridesmaids: Review - 8/8/2011 2:49:31 AM   
Edward9630

Bridesmaids is a good film. A Really Funny Movie And The Cast Was Very Good. My only problem with this film is that its kind of a girly film and men cant really relate to what they do. But overall a good film and I would recommend to go see this film.

Post #: 35
Good but far from brilliant. - 8/8/2011 5:07:13 PM   
filmfanatic123

Now don't get me wrong, Bridesmaids is a funny movie. There are some scenes, the food poisoning and the airplane stick out, that will make you laugh out loud but the rest of the film seems content to plod along without really threatening to push the boundaries.
The film, early on especially, threatens to throw the conventions of a typical chick flick out of the window, but it never manages to do it.
Some of the performances, however, are superb. Kristen Wiig is superb and Chris O'Dowd is a revelation but the rest just seem content to be there.
The film could have been brilliant. If all of the gags had been half as good as the food poisoning then this would be a shoo in for best female comedy of the last ten years.
In my book though, that award has to go to The Devil Wears Prada, and this isn't anywhere near that standard.

Post #: 36
- 19/11/2011 2:18:57 AM   
LizzieRainey

Kind of fucking hated this! I think I may the only person who did, and I', not sure I really care that people think I have no sense of humour. I walked out of this movie and I would do it again. This was crude, lazy and essentially a tired concept. Though the initial story-building performances were quite even, they can't make up for the ridiculousness that later ensues! It makes me angry that people think this ground-breaking because its 'male' gross out humour performed by and for women- as a woman, and a human being, I found it insulting that I should find this funny.

Post #: 37
- 20/1/2012 8:15:06 PM   
TheGodfather

Bridesmaids
I read so many rave reviews about this one but looking back I really don`t get where all those come from or are based on. I thought it was one big let down. So often not funny, it`s a hit and miss on almost all fronts and the level is of pee and poo jokes is very low. And of course it`s as predictable as possible.
Nope, really didn`t like this one.

5,0/10

Post #: 38
RE: lost steam half way through - 8/2/2012 11:07:43 PM   
Goodfella

This reminded me of Apatow's style of work with the quirky but clever characters, unintentional humour and surprisingly touching ambience. I thought it was brilliant for what is, still, basically a rom-com, or chick flick, if you want. I'd agree with the views it's a female version of The Hangover but even better in my view and as a male I thoroughly enjoyed it. Megan was fantastic - "I'll take first watch." One of the better comedies I've seen for a while, fully deserves the hype. 4/5

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to szoni)
Post #: 39
RE: lost steam half way through - 15/2/2012 7:53:51 PM   
Pherlygwen

Was very pleasantly surprised by this. Like many others, I started watching it thinking it was the female equivalent of The Hangover. Thankfully, I was wrong. This is, in my opinion, a far better and funnier film (but then I didn't enjoy The Hangover one bit). The flight scene to Vegas had me in stitches! Not all scenes worked, not all the jokes were funny, but this is easily the best comedy I have seen in a long time. And I totally disagree with people who call it chick flick or rom com - this is a comedy. Will definitely watch it again soon.

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 40
Bridesmaids - 23/2/2012 11:06:33 PM   
lynnshep

Funny, moving. Great film.

Post #: 41
Bridesmaids - 23/2/2012 11:06:34 PM   
lynnshep

Funny, moving. Great film.

Post #: 42
RE: Bridesmaids - 24/2/2012 3:24:39 PM   
pixelcat

What? And I bet you saw this twice, too?

I felt as if the friends I watched it with and a sprinkle of others found Bridesmaids to be a disappointing film. Yeah it had funny parts to it but on the whole it was waaaay too long (30-1hour too long) and the characters weren't really defined at all. Judging by the name of the film, I thought there would be more development from other characters. It should've been called "Depressed woman who's gonna be a bridesmaid at her friend's wedding".

I wouldn't recommend the film to anyone. It didn't make me laugh nearly as much as other comedy classics. It's great that most of the characters were woman, there needs to be more comedies with female stars...but this film wasn't a ground breaker in any sense of the word.

Moral of the story is: Don't believe the hype

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 43
RE: Bridesmaids - 24/2/2012 3:27:34 PM   
pixelcat

AHHHHH I JUST WROTE A LONG REPLY AND THE FRICKEN FORUM DELETED IT!!! 

Basically I thought this film really didn't live up to all the hype. Felt like the friends I saw the film with and a sprinkle of others thought it was a disappointment. Yeah, there were funny bits but not nearly enough. The character development was so poor and unfortunately the one that was focused on was a depressed 30-something. YAWN! That does get boring after a while.

Yes it's great that the majority of characters were females, but wouldn't say it was ground breaking in any sense of the word.

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 44
RE: Bridesmaids - 24/2/2012 3:27:43 PM   
pixelcat

Basically I thought this film really didn't live up to all the hype. Felt like the friends I saw the film with and a sprinkle of others thought it was a disappointment. Yeah, there were funny bits but not nearly enough. The character development was so poor and unfortunately the one that was focused on was a depressed 30-something. YAWN! That does get boring after a while.

Yes it's great that the majority of characters were females, but wouldn't say it was ground breaking in any sense of the word.

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 45
RE: Bridesmaids - 24/2/2012 3:29:02 PM   
pixelcat

(in reply to pixelcat)
Post #: 46
RE: I THOUGHT THIS FILM WAS ABOUT BRIDESMAIDS? - 24/2/2012 3:51:48 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: lewisb548

First of all the Bridesmaids are barely in any of this, this film is just all about Wiig basically. Now we all know all the critics loved this, I didn't love this, but I certainly liked it, there are some stone cold boring moments, but other moments are actually very funny, the opening scene inlcuded as Jon Hamm nails Wiig in several different positions its hard not to laugh at that.
Many people will dismiss this as just another dumb chick flick, well its more of an adult very funny rom-com.
Wiig as wonderful as she is is a bore in this film while the bridesmaids are very funny, Helen pulled off with charm by (Rose Bryne.) is especially funny and I liked her character, unlike most viewers. And the funniest bits of the film are jolted into place by her.
And as her stepson says "Helen just fuck off." That kid deserves a medal for best and funniest cameo of the year. Mellisa Mccarthy is especially funny as the Alan-esque, Megan, but one very weird part of the film is a lesbian kiss that just comes and goes like dust in the wind, shared between Wendi Mclendon Covey and the offices Ellie Kemper. The bridesmaids are the funniest characters in the film while Maya Rudolph as always is just plain awful. Chris'O'Dowd is a delight as is this film, but the steam in this comedy seems to run low after the first half, and we really wish that we could have seen what happened in Vegas, when they all flew there, maybe them in Vegas would be a better sequel. I would happily add this to my dvd collection and I would recommend this for Apatow films but dont expect a masterpiece, just expect a half decent, occassionally very funny comedy with brilliant turns from the bridesmaids, this is the kind of comedy you would happily watch with your girlfriend.
Maybe a sequel where they go to Vegas? This isn't the new hangover but its still quite good.

Sums it up really.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to lewisb548)
Post #: 47
RE: I THOUGHT THIS FILM WAS ABOUT BRIDESMAIDS? - 27/2/2012 1:44:11 PM   
pixelcat

Wow, there must of been a glitch in the system. Sorry for all the repetitive posts!

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 48
RE: I THOUGHT THIS FILM WAS ABOUT BRIDESMAIDS? - 27/10/2012 10:41:45 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Hilarious comedy.
Good solid script,alot of great characters and more importantly alot of big laughs.
Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy steel the show

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 28/10/2012 5:02:46 PM >

(in reply to pixelcat)
Post #: 49
RE: I THOUGHT THIS FILM WAS ABOUT BRIDESMAIDS? - 1/11/2012 11:10:51 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

Let's cast Tim Heidecker and not have him say owt. Insanity.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 50
Catch this bouquet - 1/10/2014 4:29:02 PM   
RJNeb2

Hilarious comedy about a bridal party that starts to swing wildly out of control when two of the bridesmaids get into a power struggle over who should be running the show. Wiig is very empathetic as the one whose life has taken a turn for the worse in every regard, Byrne horrifically bitchy as the rich girl taking over and McCarthy is just a force of nature as the brutish member of the pack. Unlike most contemporary comedies, this isn’t about some hapless female trying to secure a hunky male but is instead about female bonding, and is a gazillion times better because of it.

Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> I THOUGHT THIS FILM WAS ABOUT BRIDESMAIDS? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI