Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Bridesmaids

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Bridesmaids Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bridesmaids - 20/6/2011 2:59:33 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
:D - 20/6/2011 2:59:33 PM   
megank13

I am going to see this on Wednesday definitely! I have been waiting for a great comedy to go see on the big screen, & have definitely stayed away from crappy comedy films, which quite frankly I wouldn't waste my money on! Even Hangover Part 2 I have no yet seen, & I don't think I will! This is more my thing, more female comedies please Judd Apatow! Kristen Wiig is genius! :D I love her!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
:D - 20/6/2011 3:01:52 PM   
megank13

I am going to see this on Wednesday definitely! I have been waiting for a great comedy to go see on the big screen, & have definitely stayed away from crappy comedy films, which quite frankly I wouldn't waste my money on! Even Hangover Part 2 I have no yet seen, & I don't think I will! This is more my thing, more female comedies please Judd Apatow! Kristen Wiig is genius! :D I love her!

Post #: 3
:D - 20/6/2011 3:01:54 PM   
megank13

Post #: 4
RE: :D - 21/6/2011 8:27:21 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Are you off to see it 3 times?

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to megank13)
Post #: 5
RE: :D - 21/6/2011 10:26:07 PM   
kirk

Very minor SPOILER>

Very funny film

Wigg is amazing....

Very gross out, cringe worthy and painful.

Hamm is also a stand out. The opening sex scene is very funny.

One problem is its overlong by about half an hour.... but its never boring....so you can forgive that.

Gentlemen treat your ladies...in a summer full of average superheros....go and laugh at women being sick on each other.

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 6
RE: :D - 22/6/2011 10:51:40 AM   
azzman1984

I went to a screening of it last night and it's really funny and touching at the same time, highly recommend people should watch it

(in reply to kirk)
Post #: 7
Bridesmaids. - 22/6/2011 1:55:56 PM   
Cruisecontroller

I saw it at a preview last week and it is very funny. It is a bit gross during the bridal fitting scene where they all get food posioning, is very rude but I loved it and preferred it to The Hangover. I don`t think its too long but thats my personal opinion. Best comedy so far this year. 5/5 

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to azzman1984)
Post #: 8
RE: Bridesmaids - 22/6/2011 8:22:39 PM   
captainrentboy

Just got back from seeing Bridesmaids and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I wouldn't say it was continuously piss pantingly funny, only three seqences got major laughs (And I'd had the dress fitting one ruined for me, as Odeon showed it in its entirity before some random film I watched earlier in the year) and there are some lulls towards the end, where it drops firmly back into 'chick flick' territory, but it's definitely worth a gander.
As most reviews have stated, it's easily the most guy friendly 'chick flick' I've ever watched, although clearly word of mouth hasn't spread around yet, as I was absolutely surrounded by women at the screening. Who were loudly 'awwing and ahhing' at every bloody opportunity.

3.5/5

And Jon Hamm needs more comedy roles, it was great seeing him out of Don Draper mode, but sadly he only had like 5 minutes screentime.

Post #: 9
RE: Bridesmaids - 22/6/2011 11:27:07 PM   
talpacino

Just back from this, really enjoyed it. Very funny and easily better than the hangover which people seem to be comparing it to. I was one of about 5 men in a cinema full of women. It's a shame that men might stay away from this because there's plenty here for both men and women.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 10
LOVED IT - 23/6/2011 12:01:40 AM   
megank13

I don't know why it submitted it three times, but I may actually see it three times, it's pretty hilarious! It's so good, Wiig needs to be in more films, I love her, she is my new comedienne idol! I liked Chris O'Dowd's character being the love interest, it makes it more female orientated, Jon Hamm playing a different character was cool too, he's sexy. even as a complete asshole! overall, a great film, I agree it is on a par for the Hangover!

Post #: 11
RE: LOVED IT - 23/6/2011 9:41:12 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Really enjoyed this especially McCarthy who showed she can make the move from TV to The Big Screen with ease loved the scene in the Bridal store just goes to show it aint only men that can do gross-out!
A fun 4*s

(in reply to megank13)
Post #: 12
Film Of The Month - 23/6/2011 10:02:27 PM   
Bighousewill

I was really delighted with this film it lived up to the four stars that empire gave(glad I always read the review after I've seen the film) it and then surpassed it. Empire reviewer Anna Smith thinks that the love interest bit Chris O Dowd was not all that, but I disagree I thought it was lovely. This film works because as well as being the funniest film I've ever seen it also has really nice feel good moments. Highly recommend.

Post #: 13
A brilliant surprise - 24/6/2011 12:51:43 PM   
neopol

Bridesmaids: The mare mention of the title filled me with a sense of dread as my fiancée, and that is of course relevent as marriage is imminent for me in five weeks of writing this review, told me that we were seeing this. A chick-flick comedy from the Judd Apatow stable following the comic misadventures of a group of bridesmaids, and I must add that I'm not a real fan or follower of Apatow's work...

Well, what a treat this was. Yes, it is a chick flick but this was also a real movie, cleverly conceived, executed and played, with humour, heart and mild drama portrayed in equal measure. The comedy aspects were funny and at times, some hilariously so, and the drama, most of which centered around Kristen Wiig's, Annie Walker, and her failing life. Through the course of the film she looses her apartment, job, business, her friends and her self-esteem.. Or does she?

The plot is simple: Her best friend is getting married. Annie is her Maid Of Honour but is almost penniless, man-less and somewhat insecure. Everything goes wrong, including a very well judged gross-out sequence involving food poisoning, and I mean well judged in the sense that a scene involving vomit and loose number 2's could have become totally gross when in fact it chose to show what it needed to, to convey the scene and nothing more.

Meanwhile, the bride has struck up a friendship with her groom's boss's wife and one of her other eponymous bridesmaids, Rose Byrne, who is rich and somewhat over the top, giving Andrex puppies out as party favours at one point, for example, which opens the door to the inevitable conflict between the two bridesmaids. Byrne is the new best friend and leaves the lifelong friend that is Wiig standing, and that friendship in danger.

In my experience there are three types of Chick Flicks. The Formulaic, usually starring Kate Hudson or Matthew McConaughey, or both; The Indie, offering more character but little plot; or this, The Proper Film, with a bit of everyth

Post #: 14
A surprise hit - 24/6/2011 9:17:06 PM   
filmsunlimited

Admittedly as a Cineworld Unlimited card holder my main motivation at seeing this was simply to chalk up film 88 at the cinema of the year 2011! I was expecting this to be an absolutely female centric chick flick. However, the audience was more eclectic and I had an enjoyable two hours. The humour is very funny with some Supperbaddishness but without turning the gross out factor to 11. Infact, the tonal shift sees a slowish start, the peak of gross outiness near the middle and the film actually becomes more intelligent and observent about the whole Bridesmaid thing later on with one actually caring about the characters. There are some hilarious touches (puppies as parting gift at the shower, the random butterfly in the invite etc) and I think this film manages to entertain a wide range of people. Id even say this is one of the best films of the Summer Season, perhaps not difficult with some of the dross blocking the multiplex schedules out there at the minute.

Post #: 15
Bridesmaids - 25/6/2011 1:17:30 PM   
tamsinlord

Slow starting, increadibly funny in places (most of the film actually) and gasping for air funny in the dress shop. The final scene with Melissa McCarthy will make you never want to eat a meat roll ever again. See it. See it again. See it with friends after a few drinkies. I just loved it.

Post #: 16
- 27/6/2011 9:50:07 AM   
fireal1

cannot reccommend this enough, the funniest film I've seen in a very long time. Jon Hamm absolutely stole the film for me

Post #: 17
very funny, but so much missing! - 27/6/2011 9:54:26 AM   
howiet1971

I loved this film; very funny indeed without being farcical.
However, so many moments from the trailer were missing!

When running from the bridal shop she doesn't fall in front of the car.

John Hamm doesn't lift her legs up during sex and pull the stupid face.

John Hamm doesn't tell her to hurry becasue the housemaid is coming.

The big girl doesn't say half of the stuff when she has her leg up on the plane (ie: its gonna be by your ears + a couple of other lines)

And there's more but I can't think of them right now. I've never seen such a difference from a trailer to end film.

Post #: 18
very funny, but so much missing! - 27/6/2011 9:54:27 AM   
howiet1971

I loved this film; very funny indeed without being farcical.
However, so many moments from the trailer were missing!

When running from the bridal shop she doesn't fall in front of the car.

John Hamm doesn't lift her legs up during sex and pull the stupid face.

John Hamm doesn't tell her to hurry becasue the housemaid is coming.

The big girl doesn't say half of the stuff when she has her leg up on the plane (ie: its gonna be by your ears + a couple of other lines)

And there's more but I can't think of them right now. I've never seen such a difference from a trailer to end film.

Post #: 19
Seriously guys/ gals? - 28/6/2011 9:26:18 AM   
skeletonjack

I'm baffled by the love for this. Overlong and massively over-rated, Bridesmaids had some funny moments, but that's about it.
I feel I should watch it again to try and grasp what it was I missed, but couldn't possibly bring myself to doing so.

(in reply to howiet1971)
Post #: 20
RE: Seriously guys/ gals? - 28/6/2011 4:31:37 PM   
fugaziuk

I thought this was hilarious and i took a bunch of friends to see it who ended up really enjoying it. Although everyone who have spoken to since has been like - "ain't that some dumb chick flick?" This will get by on word of mouth but the promotions team messed up here if everyone thinks it your average run of the mill chick flick - so much funnier than that.

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 21
Wet yourself funny - 28/6/2011 8:10:43 PM   
kenada_woo

Hilariously funny with great characters and a lot of heart. Some scenes had me in stitches rolling into other scenes to the detriment of others around me, but that didnt stop me, and yes the bridal store scene is classic.

BUT...a tad on the long side which is the case with most Apatow related movies.

****/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to fugaziuk)
Post #: 22
RE: Wet yourself funny - 30/6/2011 9:51:29 AM   
Invader_Ace

Swa this last night.  It's great.
It shouldn't be dismissed as a "chick flick", it would make a great companion piece to Superbad.
4 stars

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 23
RE: Wet yourself funny - 30/6/2011 6:10:24 PM   
MonsterCat

Saw this today and enjoyed the fuck out of it. I'm not kidding when I say that there were moments when my face was hurting from laughing.

Very funny with a lot of heart and wit - two elements that were sorely missed from that atrocity The Hangover 2. All of the cast put in some really stellar performances, but for me the stand outs were Melissa McCarthy and Rose Byrne. I am unfamiliar with McCarthy's previous work, but I hope to see more of her in the future. And Byrne, who is more known for doing dramatic work in things like Damages and Knowing, has proven herself to be one very funny lady.

Oh, and Kristen Wiig just happens to be one of my most favourite ladies in the world. She will be mine. Oh yes. She will be mine...

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 30/6/2011 6:11:52 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 24
RE: Wet yourself funny - 30/6/2011 9:37:05 PM   
stu 2 stu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Swa this last night.  It's great.
It shouldn't be dismissed as a "chick flick", it would make a great companion piece to Superbad.
4 stars

totally agree, not even close to a chick flick, there mabye be a wedding (or not if you havn't saw it) but there is also a worrying and yet very funny moment involving a sink.

"As far back as i can remember I've always wanted to be a gangster"

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 25
RE: Wet yourself funny - 7/7/2011 7:20:34 PM   
massacretheatre

The widespread praise for “Bridesmaids” has generated a deceptive veneer over the film which has given birth, in conjunction with the marketing campaign, to a myth that this isn’t your typical gross out rom-com. It is a rom-com, quite a broad one too, but “Bridesmaids” reminds us that this isn’t necessarily a problem.

Kirsten Wiig plays Annie, an out-of-luck single 30-something who, when her childhood friend asks for her to be the maid of honour at her wedding, her life unravels in all the wrong ways. It plays out as a Gervais-style awkward satire of the mundane existence comedy, with a decent serving of toilet humour for good measure of course. Ellie Kemper, Rose Byrne and Melissa McCarthy are solid comedic back up for Wiig, however the praise for the principal cast being a “refreshing” presentation of women in comedy is hugely misleading. Each character conforms to an archetype of which doesn’t exist in actuality, so whilst this praise is false, the characters work for the story and equally importantly, for the gags. It is no surprise that the presentation of women is a big talking point in the movie though, after all the key presentation of women in recent popular culture has been from Sex in the City, portraying all women as handbag worshipping, vacuous, capitalistic whores, so in that sense, it is very refreshing.

There are enough gags, its running time is perfect, yeah it’s a little forgettable and disposable, failing to resist the urges of retreating into the traditional forms and conventions of the romantic comedy, especially in the third act. However what it does assure audiences of is that we will be watching Kirsten Wiig for quite some time in increasingly bigger roles, she’s beautiful, hilarious and is equipped with convincing dramatic range. “Bridesmaids” isn’t reinventing the wheel as some are saying, but it does all you can expect from it with adequate charm.

(in reply to stu 2 stu)
Post #: 26
funny, but too long - 10/7/2011 7:44:00 PM   
tysmuse

Laughed a lot (got a little tear in my eye sometimes) but this film is far too long! But Rose Bryne is great.

Post #: 27
lost steam half way through - 11/7/2011 5:46:52 PM   
bretty

This could have been the four star film Empire thinks it is, but does lose its way somewhat.
Started off really well and the scene with the food poisoning was gross but laugh out loud funny. But it went too 'girly', the Megan character had great potential but was underused and it really felt like it an out of steam.
And did anyone else notice there was quite a lot on the trailers that did not appear in the film - "yup, double jointed" was agreat line in the trailer but I'm pretty sure was not in the film....

Post #: 28
RE: lost steam half way through - 14/7/2011 12:32:18 AM   
nvh1982

There was a lot in the trailer not in the film, i.e. downing the bottle of wine, falling in the road etc.. but this was no bad thing.

I really really really liked this film, 30 mins in I wanted to buy the DVD! I've loved Kirstin Wiig since she stole the too few scenes she was in in Knocked Up. Absolutely my fave film of the year and one that I will see more than once at the cinema.

http://cinematicscreenings2012.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 29
RE: lost steam half way through - 22/7/2011 4:12:28 PM   
szoni

Could have been more funny if it hadn't turned into romance in excessive.
Makers have been adhered to mood of the first 30-40 minutes.

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to nvh1982)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Bridesmaids Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI