Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 8/8/2011 11:53:35 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

If I were a Bolton player I'd be bricking myself. 

Why ?

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 31
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 8/8/2011 12:22:13 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm assuming because two of the team have broken legs already. Korean Lee, who I think is quite handy and I'd considered putting in my fantasy football team. And Mears, who'd only just signed from Burnley.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 32
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 10/8/2011 9:19:06 PM   
Skiba

Stoke in for Crouch and Palacios from Spurs...as maligned as Stoke are (unfairly a lot of the time) for the way they play, Crouch could do well for them. Not sure him and Jones could play together though...and Palacios is a decent player but can't see him playing much at Spurs and would certainly suit Stoke.  If Spurs need to clear a few out, then these are two who they could get some sort of fee for without compromising the side too much

If they can keep Woodgate fit they could do alright again...not a fan of Upson at all but could see him doing OK for them.  Shawcross should start though with Woodgate I'd imagine

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 33
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 10/8/2011 10:02:37 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Stoke in for Crouch and Palacios from Spurs...as maligned as Stoke are (unfairly a lot of the time) for the way they play, Crouch could do well for them. Not sure him and Jones could play together though...and Palacios is a decent player but can't see him playing much at Spurs and would certainly suit Stoke.  If Spurs need to clear a few out, then these are two who they could get some sort of fee for without compromising the side too much

If they can keep Woodgate fit they could do alright again...not a fan of Upson at all but could see him doing OK for them.  Shawcross should start though with Woodgate I'd imagine

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 34
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 13/8/2011 11:58:12 AM   
clownfoot

My outlook for the season as found on my blog: http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Right, the new Premiership season kicks off at 3pm. My Fantasy Football team is all ready to kick the bejesus out of all those armchair centurions who know jack shit about football (http://www.premierleague.com/page/Home/ - let me know if you have a league in which I can destroy you as well). And where would we be without the regulation commentary on the riders and runners the morning before kick off. Here's my take on things ahead of Liverpool levelling United in the most number of league trophies won…!

Arsenal – It would be churlish to suggest that if, as expected, Fabregas and Nasri both leave the Gunners that Arsenal are finished. After all, Wenger does have a habit of finding and nurturing precocious young talent and getting them to play football (neat triangles, wonderful movement, etc) better than any other manager in the Premiership. But losing two world class players and regular match winners is likely to hurt any ambition Arsenal have for glory this season. If Wenger can re-invest in defence by bringing targets like Gary Cahill or Phil Jags to the club it would at least shore up their one consistent failing of last season – letting Newcastle score four against them!. In addition, with the likes of Van Persie, Wilshere, Walcott and Arshavin they're not totally starved of quality. A season of transition, but the likes of Liverpool, Spurs and Everton will look to pounce and take the opportunity to wrestle a regular Big Cup berth off of them. Beware the wounded animal though.

Aston Villa – The loss of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing will be well felt, although the signing of a quality winger in Charles N'Zogbia should be enough to provide Darren Bent the quality service that's made him one of the most consistent Premiership goal-scorers in recent seasons. Perhaps the real key to Villa's season is how rusty Shay Given is in goal following a year of bench-warming at City. At his best, he'll save at least two certain goals per game, but a long time questions whether he remains the best keeper in the Premiership? New manager McLeish has made astute signings, although the strength in depth of the squad suggests they may entertain a relegation battle come next May. And McLeish isn't very good at those…

Blackburn Rovers – Did anyone else notice Blackburn at all last season? I found them strangely 'meh', so haven't really given them any attention this pre-season. Would it be unfair of me to suggest relegation contenders, despite a lack of knowledge?

Bolton Wanderers – Owen Coyle knows his stuff and has somehow moved away from the Sam Allardyce school of wanky 'kick them up in the air' football usually associated with Bolton and has actually transformed them into a decent footballing outfit. The return of Daniel Sturridge to Chelsea following an excellent loan spell is likely to hurt, as is the loss of Lee Chung-yong's creative influence to a broken leg pre-season and if Gary Cahill is tempted away it would be a further influential gap to fill. But if Coyle can somehow attempt Shaun Wright-Phillips away from his City bench-warming duties, then alongside other shrewd deals (Chris Eagles from Burnley) they should remain a decent mid-table outfit. Plus, there's always the Kevin Davies affect to terrorise opposing defences.

Chelsea – New manager, new football ideals, same old ageing squad. Whilst things rapidly change at Chelsea, nothing really changes at Chelsea. Despite the ageing squad they still have quality throughout, which makes up for the lack of fresh blood into the ranks. Stingy defending will be their chief weapon and in Terry, Cole and Luiz there are few stingier. Yet Premiership ambitions will really be determined on the formation Villas-Boas employs and how to include Drogba and Torres in the same team, if at all. If Villas-Boas fails to convince Torres that he was once world class, Daniel Sturridge's return from an excellent loan spell at Bolton could prove decisive. Not the time for fitting square pegs in round holes up front, but does Villas-Boas have the bottle to defy his overlord by playing on form rather than on name? Challengers no doubt, but the chairman/manager relationship could derail any charge.

Everton – The toffees will succeed purely because of manager David Moyes (next United manager, anybody?) Despite the lack of a transfer kitty he inspires his team of decent professionals to go out and get the job done. If Saha can remain fit and provide a regular goal threat and they can keep hold of Phil Jags I wouldn't be surprised if Everton were challenging for a Big Cup spot come the end of the season. Unless they have an utterly wanky start as they did last season!

Fulham – One of the strangest managerial decisions of recent Premiership memory is Mark Hughes leaving Fulham after 11 months, despite having relative success in maintaining Fulham as a decent Premiership team. Little has changed since Martin Jol's arrival, the squad looking pretty similar to the one that nice uncle Roy left in Hughes' capable hands, so you would expect them to maintain that mid-table feeling. Might be ageing slightly in some key positions (Murphy, Duff) but should get the goals needed from the likes of Zamora, Dempsey, Johnson and Dembele. Would be nice if they could go on another good run in Europe (so I can get tickets to watch)!

Liverpool – With Statler and Waldorf finally removed, a chairman that wants to invest in the team rather than needing to repay hideous amounts of debt and the return of the King, Liverpool might actually do something this season. Everything seems in place. Strength in depth (Adam to replace the eternally knacked Gerrard) despite the English player tax, a proper left back in Enrique, wingers to feed Carroll, Aquilani on form and showing the potential that he could be just like Xavi Alonso and some genuine world class players (Suarez, Reina, Kuyt) I'd expect a proper title challenge let alone a charge for fourth and a Big Cup spot. Much will depend on away form and making Anfield a fortress like the tail end of last season showed. Kenny knows his stuff, but enduring a long, hard season burdened with expectation will be very different to turning fortunes around mid-season. Suarez for player of the season though…

Man City – Unlike Jose Mourinho, who knew what to do when Roman Abromovich gave him a shitload of cash to spunk on the best footballer players in the world, Roberto Mancini doesn't seem to have a plan (or a clue) what to do with his benefactors billions. Mourinho spent wisely on a small squad of (expensive) players to build a team he could fit around Terry and Lampard, which met with immediate success. Mancini on the other-hand has brought in so many players, at hideous expense, but can he really get these individuals to play as a team? Especially with Mancini's negative 'back and sideways' yawn inducing football approach that will stifle some of the best players in the world. And you wonder why talismanic player Carlos Tevez has been attempting to escape Stalag Carrington all summer. Real Madrid underachieved massively during their Galatico period. I can't help thinking that despite the number of World Class players, City are capable of going the same way. Still, worth a watch just to see what maniacal loon Mario Balotelli will get up to this season and what Rio Ferdinand's first challenge on Super Mario will look like!

Man United – United will be there or there abouts come the end of the season, every season, until Sir Alex decides to call it a day. Scholes may have retired and deadwood like Obertan and John O'Shea shifted on to make way for new blood like Smalling, Phil Jones and Cleverly, but with a strike force of Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov and Owen being fed by Nani, Valencia and quality signing Ashley Young they will maintain the belief that they will always score one more goal than everyone else. United's weakness is the lack of an effective water carrier (even when Fletcher is fit) and Evra seemed strangely out of sorts last season and that's perhaps where the opposition can best hurt them, yet it goes without saying a challenge for their 20th league title is the surest of sure things.

Norwich – Paul Lambert (one of Scotland's last great footy players alongside John Collins) has done a terrific job in securing Norwich back-to-back promotions. But are they equipped to stay up? Unlikely. Will be a long hard season for the Canaries!

Newcastle – The easy route to relegation in five easy steps! Sell your star striker for £35 million. Promise your manager that funds from the sale will be made available to rebuild the squad in the next transfer window. Continue to sell your best players (Kevin Nolan would rather play in the Championship than for a Premiership team with limited ambition). Provide limited funds for new players. Bring in Gabriel Obertan! Newcastle will be lucky if they're not involved in a relegation battle this season.

Q.P.R – Out of the three teams promoted Q.P.R are the most likely to remain in the Premiership next season. Warnock is an old head at this football lark and some shrewd signings, particularly snatching up Jay Boothroyd from Cardiff, and doing his utmost to keep creative playmaker Adel Taarabat, show signs of intent that he doesn't want Q.P.R to be a one season wonder. But the squad is small and any significant injuries (hello, Kieron Dyer) could spell disaster…
Stoke – The home advantage will likely see Stoke perform as well as they have done in recent seasons. The likes of Huth and Jones will always cause trouble at set pieces and throw-ins and in Etheridge and Pennant they have real quality on the wings to deliver decent ball into the box. The signings of Matthew Upson and Jonathan Woodgate seem a little odd, particularly as one is permanently knacked. Where exactly are they going to fit in with Shawcross and Huth being more than competent at centre-back? Yet the added strength in depth may prove beneficial. Competently mid-table.

Sunderland – Steve Bruce has been a busy bee in the summer transfer market, perhaps in response to the calls for his head by supporters following a dismal second half to last season. But for the quality of Connor Wickham and Craig Gardner he's had to balance it out with some chaff in the signing of Wes Clown. Clown and Bramble in defence; Premiership strikers must be thinking their in goal-scoring heaven! Bruce will have to hope that Asomah Gyan and Kieran Richardson are on top form at the other end to balance out the goals conceded ratio. And does anyone know if Bruce has purchased a new magic sponge to resolve last season's injury blight? (Please don't be any good at Anfield today, pretty please)!!

Swansea – Who? Sorry, completely facetious I know. Apart from them beating Cardiff to promotion (that likely created more than a few chuckles in South Wales) I really know nothing about them. Looking forward to finding out more though, and hopefully they can be a refreshing breath of fresh air as Blackpool were last season (albeit without comedy genius Ian Holloway in charge – Brendan Rodgers seems a little more serious).

Spurs - Despite their Champions League ambitions it's strange that 'Arry hasn't delved into the transfer market this summer to bolster a squad given the poisoned chalice that is Europa League monkey tennis. Perhaps the fire-fighting he's been doing to prevent Modric leaving for Chelsea has been keeping him a little too pre-occupied! Still, if 'Arry has managed to convince Modric to stay, then alongside Bale and Van der Vaart he has three players of different class that can make a real difference, although the lack of a consistent goal-scorer and Gomez's teflon gloves remain a worry. Sandro might be the player to watch - the water-carrier that the likes of Chelsea and United could both do with. Will challenge for a Big Cup spot.

West Bromwich Albion – Whilst nice uncle Roy's long ball game utterly destroyed Liverpool's 'football' players last season, at Brom he finds himself once again amongst a team of hard-workers with a hint of quality here and there that are enthused by such a tactic. Uncle Roy will get the most out of his players, Odemwingie and Long will score the goals that keep them in the Premiership and Chris Brunt will bang in the odd 30-yarder. No random Scandinavians signed yet though, which is a shame.

Wigan – Another relegation battle looms, especially with the loss of N'Zogbia to Villa. But I like Roberto Martinez and for that matter think they'll manage a decent fight of it as with last season.

Wolves – One of the spirited performers last season alongside Blackpool. Will hope to have it a little easier this season and with the quality of the new Premiership arrivals their experience should see them safe again this year despite the obligatory relegation battle.

West Ham United – Oh! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha….

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 13/8/2011 12:02:46 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 35
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 13/8/2011 3:02:22 PM   
Nezzley

Most of the pundits are going for a top two of City and Utd but I really fancy Chelsea to win it this year, they have the title-winning experience and can improve on last season - Torres can't get any worse, Sturridge looks a different player after his spell at Bolton and Modric will add a bit of class to their midfield if he signs. Villas-Boas's preference to 4-3-3 may give him the edge in the big games too, they can switch easily between 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and other formations whereas City are much weaker with 2 up front (see the thrashing at Liverpool and the community shield).

A lot of talk about City as title challengers but I don't think the've quite got enough to win it and I expect the end of the season will be dominated by rumours of Mourinho coming to City in the summer.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 36
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 13/8/2011 3:36:04 PM   
Olaf

buying Kieron Dyer thinking he will be anything other than injury-prone

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 37
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 13/8/2011 4:23:29 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nezzley

Most of the pundits are going for a top two of City and Utd but I really fancy Chelsea to win it this year, they have the title-winning experience and can improve on last season - Torres can't get any worse, Sturridge looks a different player after his spell at Bolton and Modric will add a bit of class to their midfield if he signs. Villas-Boas's preference to 4-3-3 may give him the edge in the big games too, they can switch easily between 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and other formations whereas City are much weaker with 2 up front (see the thrashing at Liverpool and the community shield).

A lot of talk about City as title challengers but I don't think the've quite got enough to win it and I expect the end of the season will be dominated by rumours of Mourinho coming to City in the summer.

I'm almost the opposite. Right now I think Chelsea will struggle. Not getting relegated or anything, but I think will struggle to keep up with Utd and City.

Yes, they have experience. But with an aging squad. Not that I put too much stock in their age, but this is not a deep squad now and injuries catch up at that age.

I see no reason for Torres getting better and if he has to play then he could be in the way of better players. Modric has not signed and may not sign, if they don't then that midfield is lacking quality. Benayoun will be back, but I don't think he's world class. McEachran is really one to watch, but he's still green. Essien is out and Obi Mikel is amazingly poor. They've made a couple of good signings, but again, you've got to think ones for the future.

But it is the manager I worry about. He's 33 and has only had one good season at Porto. That will not be like the expectations Chelsea have in the Premiership and Champions League. Again, he could be one for the future, but I think it could be too early for him. We've seen other good managers from overseas come in and struggle. Porto were a nice team, fluid between defense and attack, but its not the pace of the Premiership and though Di Matteo is another good signing, I worry the manager isn't prepared for the demands of managing Chelsea and the Chelsea players in the EPL.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 13/8/2011 4:24:07 PM >

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 38
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 13/8/2011 4:39:02 PM   
directorscut

Are they playing Édith Piaf at St. James's Park?

Post #: 39
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 13/8/2011 4:39:38 PM   
directorscut

On the loudspeakers, of course.  Not on in the team.

Post #: 40
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2011 10:41:58 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

On the loudspeakers, of course.  Not on in the team.

She'll be in less trouble than Barton gets into.....

Post #: 41
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 16/8/2011 1:23:48 PM   
Harry Lime

Bit late with these, but hey-ho...

01. Manchester City
02. Manchester Utd
03. Liverpool
04. Chelsea
05. Tottenham Hotspur
06. Arsenal
07. Everton
08. Bolton Wanderers
09. Stoke City
10. Sunderland
11. Fulham
12. West Bromwich Albion
13. Wolverhampton Wanderers
14. Newcastle Utd
15. Aston Villa
16. Wigan Athletic
17. Norwich City
18. Blackburn Rovers
19. Swansea City
20. QPR

Can't see beyond the two Manchester clubs this season. Of the challengers, Chelsea are beginning to show signs of age and, whilst experienced and hard to beat, I just can't see them having the legs to get them over the finish line. Arsenal are at sixes and sevens. Wenger needs to make some big moves in the transfer market in the next two weeks or they could really struggle even to make Europe. Spurs feel like a team that have hit a bit of a plateau this summer. They will be entertaining but inconsistent. Liverpool have to do better this season. The signings they have made are more workmanlike than world-class, but it would be hard to argue that they are not stronger than last year. I reckon they could finish third if Dalgleish finds the right formula amidst his not insubstantial options.

So, that leaves United and City. I'm plumping for City. United have made a great signing in Ashley Young and have picked one for the future with Phil Jones. Tom Cleverley looks the business too. However, there is an air of transition surrounding Old Traffrord, I feel. The constant injuries to Rio Ferdinand must be concerning everybody at the club now. He may be an epic bell-end but he's still quality and will be a big miss,especially with the immense Vidic (a thug, but the best centre back in the country by several miles) out for a couple of weeks too.

So that leaves, Manchester City. I can't see past them at the moment. For five reasons, Hart, Kompany, Silva, Aguerro and, most significantly, Yaya Toure. He's so awesome that I think I would let him bum me. There is a spine in the City side now which, in my mind, echoes the championship winning sides of the recent past. On top of that, he has the mecurial brilliance of Ballotelli. The kid is not only as mental as a bag of broken biscuits, but as inconsistent as a sixty year old's erection. However, he also has the skill and potential to spark a memorable season. To finish things off, I also think Mancini now knows his best side. That makes a huge difference.

Of course, if Manchester Utd finally pick up Wesley Sneijder, I may have to have a rethink.

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 16/8/2011 1:25:19 PM >

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 42
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 19/8/2011 1:09:04 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Can I ask a really stupid question that Harry above, or someone else might be able to answer.

How are Everton so deep in debt? To what feels like a point of paralysis now.

They are always in the Premiership and they usually finish mid-table. So I'd expect a good deal of TV money. They have a 40,000 seater stadium, which I kind of assume to be pretty full. They may have spent a couple of quid on the likes of Fellaini and Yukubu, but I don't think they've really bought anyone for years. And they've not been paying off managers every year.

Have they got a crazy wage structure or is it so expensive to compete in the EPL that a club I would consider relatively frugal can't get by without piling up debt. I know they are not as globally popular as some teams around them, but I'd really have thought Everton could toddle along quite nicely without piling up 45M of debt and starting to look in some trouble.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 43
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 19/8/2011 1:11:04 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Can I ask a really stupid question that Harry above, or someone else might be able to answer.

How are Everton so deep in debt? To what feels like a point of paralysis now.

They are always in the Premiership and they usually finish mid-table. So I'd expect a good deal of TV money. They have a 40,000 seater stadium, which I kind of assume to be pretty full. They may have spent a couple of quid on the likes of Fellaini and Yukubu, but I don't think they've really bought anyone for years. And they've not been paying off managers every year.

Have they got a crazy wage structure or is it so expensive to compete in the EPL that a club I would consider relatively frugal can't get by without piling up debt. I know they are not as globally popular as some teams around them, but I'd really have thought Everton could toddle along quite nicely without piling up 45M of debt and starting to look in some trouble.

They've always been shy of the pennies, Goodison is in bad need of a lick of paint, has been for years.

Post #: 44
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 22/8/2011 12:35:21 AM   
Mojo

Anybody know if that amazing advert for the new season on Sky Sports can be found in HD online? Saw it in the cinema and it blew me away, one of the best football adverts I've ever seen.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 45
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 22/8/2011 11:05:58 AM   
superdan

It took Wolves until halfway through October to get their current points total last year. Playing well, scoring goals and most importantly beating two teams we'd have lost to last season. Roger Johnson already looks like he could be one of the signings of the season, such is the difference he has already made. The Villa on Saturday, it'd be amazing if we made it 3 out of 3 but I'd be happy with a draw too. Come on you Wolves!

< Message edited by superdan -- 22/8/2011 11:06:30 AM >

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 46
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 22/8/2011 11:09:16 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

It took Wolves until halfway through October to get their current points total last year. Playing well, scoring goals and most importantly beating two teams we'd have lost to last season. Roger Johnson already looks like he could be one of the signings of the season, such is the difference he has already made. The Villa on Saturday, it'd be amazing if we made it 3 out of 3 but I'd be happy with a draw too. Come on you Wolves!

Reckon you'll beat the Villa, hope so anyway.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 47
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 28/8/2011 4:44:09 PM   
HIM

Current Premier League top four (assuming United don't win 5-0 - although that isn't that unlikely!):

1. City
2. United
3. Liverpool
4. Chelsea

I reckon that's the top four we'll see come May, though the order might change. Arsenal and Spurs seem to be lurching from one crisis to the next and I just don't see any of the other clubs being able to step up. Everton are a club on the verge of a crisis and only through Moyes are they not actually in one. Their days of bothering the top four are over. Villa have lost most of their best players and haven't looked the same since O'Neill left. Bolton look solid but not really good enough and Sunderland and Newcastle are too inconsistent.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 48
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 28/8/2011 5:56:49 PM   
impqueen

United (Fergie knows how to win)
City
Chelsea (I live in hope)
Liverpool

8-2 United and to be honest United weren't THAT awesome, they were brilliant but Arsenal, Arsenal were none existent. 

Yes, always.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 49
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 28/8/2011 6:19:59 PM   
Professor Moriarty

The gulf in squad depth between those 4 and the others is starting to look quite big.

Having said that, I'd love to see Wolves or someone else left field make the top 4 for the fun of it.

Utd and City putting big markers out today. I kept thinking Arsenal would start defending at some point.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 50
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 28/8/2011 7:04:05 PM   
JIm R

Oh lordy, it's going to be a long old season for the Arse this year.

Post #: 51
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 30/8/2011 3:01:22 PM   
Rinc

Really interesting look at the stats from the Annual Review of the European Football Players' Labour Market:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/aug/30/youth-crucial-european-success

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 52
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 30/8/2011 3:57:00 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Oh lordy, it's going to be a long old season for the Arse this year.

Nah. I'm sure their season will be over shortly.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 53
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 1/9/2011 2:42:05 PM   
JIm R

Bet Crouchy scores on Stoke debut against us....

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 54
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 10/9/2011 7:10:18 PM   
impqueen

Even though there's 15 minutes left at the United game...
It really is some class football the teams from Manchester are playing, bit worrying really, especially given our £50 million sub. Still as shite as we've been playing it's only two points, though the goal difference is already fucked.

Yes, always.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 55
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 12/9/2011 3:04:08 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I was away all weekend, so didn't see a lot of the games / highlights.

But I'm loving the way City go at a team and then Utd come out, fired up to match them in the next game. There's a lot of talk about this being a two horse race, and its hard to not see these two teams there or there abouts, but there's a lot of football to be played yet. Both teams have a lot of depth, neither team will be affected too much by the African Nations Cup. It will be interesting.

Liverpool did absolutely everything but score. Interesting that Carrol was on the bench, I'd have thought his physicality against Stoke would be welcome. Tony Pulis will be happy with the result and a lot of teams will struggle to get points there this season.

Chelsea haven't hit their stride. There's no surprise in this, a bit more than tinkering is needed with this squad and I expect it to be after the January transfer window when AVB really puts his stamp on the squad. Sunderland spent a lot this closed season. IMO their best player just upped and left for UAE. Their next 3 games are Stoke (H), Norwich (A) and WBA (H) I really think Bruce needs at least 5 points from these or he could be in trouble.

When I heard Arshavin had scored I did say was he wondering about in the box when the ball hit him. And I wasn't far off it seems. Terrible mistake from the Swansea keeper, but their real problem was always going to be fire power. And I think I'm right in saying that they've not scored yet.

Adebayor continues to score on his debut. If Harry can keep his ego and confidence high, he could put Spurs back in the running for 4th spot. Really big test of that next Sunday, Liverpool at home.

Everton and Villa will both be happy with their draw. Petrov looked class.

Blackburn have just the 1 point to show for 4 games. A very interesting test for them in the next 3 Premiership games. Arsenal (H), Newcastle (A), Man City (H). If he's not gone already expect a rout by City and Kean to be on the job market.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 12/9/2011 3:07:25 PM >

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 56
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 12/9/2011 8:50:47 PM   
Skiba

Half-time at Loftus and I can't believe that QPR are not winning this game...Newcastle look toothless and are chasing shadows all over the pitch.  Massive chances missed by Bothroyd and SWP...QPR have played some great stuff but I can't see Bothroyd or Campbell scoring enough goals

Have a good time, all the time.

Post #: 57
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 12/9/2011 8:53:30 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I must admit I tuned in for the curiosity factor of Barton facing Newcastle. Much more interesting game than the scoreline indicates.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 58
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 13/9/2011 2:23:08 PM   
Sinatra

From what I've seen so far, I think there could be an embarassing gap between the top 2 and the chasing pack.

City and Utd look awesome at the moment.

It didn't take Liverpool long to back to their old ways at the weekend!

Las Vegas is the only place I know where money really talks--it says, "Goodbye."

Post #: 59
RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion - 13/9/2011 2:47:48 PM   
Scott_

When's the first Manchester derby? Should be one hell of a game. It'll still be early in the season but whoever wins that one will probably win the league.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Premier League 2011-2012 Results & Discussion Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI