Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Rule of Newman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rule of Newman Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rule of Newman - 15/6/2011 1:15:28 PM   
O_Goncho

The Kim Newman rule applies. Take his review and add a star. That's always much closer to the actual score, without exception. Still a shame, but not a disaster.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Agree with other posts - 15/6/2011 1:21:43 PM   
Ralancian

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I think there is a general problem with trying to compare it to other films - are they comparable eg just because they're superheros? It specifically mentions the type of characterisation they went for with Iron Man and Spiderman, so I'm guessing Thor wouldn't be a good example. And Newman didn't review Thor - so maybe he doesn't agree with the 4 stars anyway, so that wouldn't work. He does also compare it to Campbell's other work, suggesting an element of a similar mood, although he lost me in praising Zorro.

See that's partially the problem with a rating system when you have a different reviewer going for different kinds of films we don't know say how Chris Hewitt feel about this film. Knowing what Chris thinks about Thor and what I think about Thor I can read his opinion better on what I think about Green Lantern even if the films aren't directly comparable. It's why while I adore Black Swann as a movie I can quite happily turn round to some of friends and recommend they don't watch it because I know what they like in relation to what I like.

Also why does it fail compared to Iron Man and Spiderman (not sure I agree Tony stark and Peter Parker even in film characterisation are similar characters!) for the hero?

I just can't tell why he doesn't like the film apart from it's another super hero origin movie and we've seen it all before. true but why does it fail compared to others?

The sequel baiting I can understand annoyance at but unfortunately that's superhero franchises for you and it's very rare you can have a Dark Knight which sits perfectly in it's own little box.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 1:26:35 PM   
velvet

Not surprised about review, Empire always very harsh. Was Wolverine that bad, it got 2 stars, and its more like a 4 star, if u love xmen, u will enjoy wolverine, not much story but great action. Empire liked Green Hornet, worst movie ever.
Total film gave it 2 stars for Green Lantern, but yesterday they gave it 3 stars, wats going on there
Has anyone seen Green lantern yet? Wat do u guys think? Is it worth seing, i cant see it till Fri as there are no reviews listed

Post #: 33
RE: Agree with other posts - 15/6/2011 1:27:15 PM   
elab49

I think that's a very good run through of why people need to remember that they are simply reading one person's opinion. That person may have watched a lot of films for a lot longer but it is still their opinion, no-one elses. So others may not match up and others may vociferously disagree (although, hopefully, once they've seen the film!).

Generally the reviews don't seem fabulous I think? Like Monstercat I'd wait for the DVD - rental, of course.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Ralancian)
Post #: 34
Ok, so let's go over the list: - 15/6/2011 1:30:54 PM   
Cameron1975Williams

Green Lantern: Bad

Thor: Bad

X Men: First Class: Bad

X Men Origins: Wolverine: Bad

Iron Man 2: Bad

Spiderman 3: Bad

The Incredible Hulk: Bad

Total money spent: approx. $ 1 500 000 000

Maybe it's time Hollywood stopped making stupid Comic-book movies?

Post #: 35
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 1:32:49 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: velvet

Not surprised about review, Empire always very harsh. Was Wolverine that bad, it got 2 stars, and its more like a 4 star, if u love xmen, u will enjoy wolverine, not much story but great action. Empire liked Green Hornet, worst movie ever.
Total film gave it 2 stars for Green Lantern, but yesterday they gave it 3 stars, wats going on there
Has anyone seen Green lantern yet? Wat do u guys think? Is it worth seing, i cant see it till Fri as there are no reviews listed

Empire gave it 2 stars, not sure I'd call that liking it.   

(in reply to velvet)
Post #: 36
No surprises - 15/6/2011 1:37:18 PM   
Silvertouch

I mean have you SEEN any of the adverts? This will be the nail in the coffin for superhero origins stories. Or, at least, I hope it will.

Post #: 37
RE: Ok, so let's go over the list: - 15/6/2011 1:39:18 PM   
Ralancian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

The Dark Knight

< Message edited by Ralancian -- 15/6/2011 1:43:06 PM >

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 38
RE: Ok, so let's go over the list: - 15/6/2011 1:55:01 PM   
BatFan

If this is the critics finally saying enough is enough, we've had it with the origin story then that doesn't bode well for Captain America or next year with Spiderman reboot (a character whose origin we saw less that 10 years ago) and Superman reboot (an origin story that everybody knows, geek and non-geek alike).

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Ralancian)
Post #: 39
RE: Ok, so let's go over the list: - 15/6/2011 2:02:00 PM   
Ralancian

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

If this is the critics finally saying enough is enough, we've had it with the origin story then that doesn't bode well for Captain America or next year with Spiderman reboot (a character whose origin we saw less that 10 years ago) and Superman reboot (an origin story that everybody knows, geek and non-geek alike).

Captain America kills Nazi's it's hard to comment badly on that ;)

Spider-Man remains the best origin story made in film in my opinion and that was really the first in this new wave. However we've been bombarded with them over the last couple of years. The problem is yes it is frustrating to keep getting them but what do you do? Some characters need origins to explain them to the viewing public before you can actually embark them on a story. I don't mind critics being annoyed with being fed another one but they can't stop slating them just because it's another origin film. It's a bit like slating yet another period costume drama it doesn't reflect on the film itself.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 40
RE: Ok, so let's go over the list: - 15/6/2011 2:05:50 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Ignoring your subjective assessments of the films, this is why Hollywood won't stop making "stupid" comic-book movies.

Thor: $433 million

X Men: First Class: $224 million after three weeks

X Men Origins: Wolverine: $373 million

Iron Man 2: $622 million

Spiderman 3: $890 million

The Incredible Hulk: $253 million

= $2,790,000,000 which is likely to top $3billion once Green Lantern is released and X-men and Thor have finished their run. And thats not including Blu-ray/DVD/Merchandise sales. So yeah, they're doubling their investment.

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 41
Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 2:19:29 PM   
velvet

Post #: 42
RE: Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 2:25:40 PM   
elab49

Velvet, you're really not going to take many people with you with the Wolverine argument - most X Men fans on here do seem to agree it was shit. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to velvet)
Post #: 43
Bigger than Spidey or Wolvie?!? - 15/6/2011 2:37:58 PM   
PitchBlue

Err Kim, are you having a laugh? "Green Lantern is the first of DC’s second-tier stars — a status not to be ashamed of, since being on the rung below pop culture icons Bats and Supes still means looking down on Johnny-come-latelys like Spider-Man and Wolverine". You are joking right? Spider-man being the flagship character of Marvel and probably the most popular character in comic book history just behind Bats and Supes. Wolverine being one of the most popular Marvel characters for the last 30 years. In Empire's 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters Wolverine is 4th and Spider-man is 5th. The Green Lantern came 41st. Mr Newman are you sure you're qualified to even review this film? That said it looks total garbage... but that's not the point.

Post #: 44
Re Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 2:46:53 PM   
velvet

elab49, I dont think Wolverine is that bad. Did u like Xmen First Class?
I loved it?

Post #: 45
RE: Re Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 2:48:52 PM   
Ballschin

If the reviewer seriously thinks that Green Lantern is a bigger cultural icon than Spider-Man, he must be on crack.

Not surprised the film is crap though.

< Message edited by Ballschin -- 15/6/2011 2:49:38 PM >

(in reply to velvet)
Post #: 46
RE: Re Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 2:58:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

Let us never talk about Wolverine again.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Ballschin)
Post #: 47
Just a thought - 15/6/2011 3:00:41 PM   
Rickie.Littlewood

Did anyone like Taken?
I did, thought it was ace.
Iremember that film ggetting a 1 star rating from this magazine, either that or I'm remembering wrong.
Just saying that I'll hold judgement on Green Lantern until I've seen it, could be the guilty pleasure thaty I need this weekend, a bit like Daredevil.
As for the Superhero film haters, deal with it. Westerns had their time and people loved them, as is the same with Film Noir and high testosterone action pics from teh 80's.
I love the superhero genre and can count on 1 hand which films I don't like taht have been based on a comic book based property.
Just my opinion though.

Post #: 48
Not that shabby - 15/6/2011 3:01:11 PM   
timthemonkey

I went to a 2D preview showing last night and considering all the hate being thrown at it, I wonder if I went to the same film as everyone else. It was an OK comic book film, it suffered a little from trying to squeeze too much in too short a time but, the script was OK, Reynolds was borderline enjoyable and whilst the CGI was a bit ropey in places it wasn't the worst I've seen. An enjoyable summer film, probably best watched after a beer or two to silence the picky voice in your head.

Post #: 49
Not that shabby - 15/6/2011 3:01:13 PM   
timthemonkey

I went to a 2D preview showing last night and considering all the hate being thrown at it, I wonder if I went to the same film as everyone else. It was an OK comic book film, it suffered a little from trying to squeeze too much in too short a time but, the script was OK, Reynolds was borderline enjoyable and whilst the CGI was a bit ropey in places it wasn't the worst I've seen. An enjoyable summer film, probably best watched after a beer or two to silence the picky voice in your head.

Post #: 50
Not that shabby - 15/6/2011 3:03:30 PM   
timthemonkey

Post #: 51
Re Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 3:08:19 PM   
velvet

I loved it?

Post #: 52
Green Lantern... Is it really that bad? - 15/6/2011 3:12:50 PM   
shortstop1616

I am actually really excited about Green Lantern. It has so much hype behind it and the trailers seem interesting. But the truth is... it is still a lack luster superhero movies. At least you have Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively in the movie who are established and now more established respectively. I heard that they really pushed the envelope for this movie as far as the acting chops and their physiques, especially that Ryan needed to look the part of the superhero. Have you seen the Green Lantern workout. I tried it the other day and it was super intense. So I may never be Ryan Reynolds or a green lantern, but at least I can workout like one. Check out the workout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueQ_K2CL8yA. It may actually be better than the movie!

Post #: 53
RE: Re Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 3:13:58 PM   
elab49

Could people stop refreshing in the post box? 

As Rgirvan notes above - liking Wolverine makes you almost unique.

quote:

(in reply to velvet)
Post #: 54
Green Lantern... Is it really that bad? - 15/6/2011 3:14:02 PM   
shortstop1616

I am actually really excited about Green Lantern. It has so much hype behind it and the trailers seem interesting. But the truth is... it is still a lack luster superhero movies. At least you have Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively in the movie who are established and now more established respectively. I heard that they really pushed the envelope for this movie as far as the acting chops and their physiques, especially that Ryan needed to look the part of the superhero. Have you seen the Green Lantern workout. I tried it the other day and it was super intense. So I may never be Ryan Reynolds or a green lantern, but at least I can workout like one. Check out the workout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueQ_K2CL8yA. It may actually be better than the movie!

Post #: 55
RE: Ok, so let's go over the list: - 15/6/2011 3:14:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

quote:

Wolverine and Iron Man 2, 3 star movies, not that bad.
Spider-man 3 ditto.
The Incredible Hulk, very good, four stars, way better than Hulk.
X-men: first class four stars
Thor three and a half stars
Haven't seen Lantern yet.

And this is coming from a huge comic book movie fan.  They've been more hits than misses.

Wolverine was terrible. Simply awful.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 56
RE: Ok, so let's go over the list: - 15/6/2011 3:20:45 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

quote:

Wolverine and Iron Man 2, 3 star movies, not that bad.
Spider-man 3 ditto.
The Incredible Hulk, very good, four stars, way better than Hulk.
X-men: first class four stars
Thor three and a half stars
Haven't seen Lantern yet.

And this is coming from a huge comic book movie fan.  They've been more hits than misses.

Wolverine was terrible. Simply awful.

I don't think it was terrible, Reynolds part in the film was very good.  Although it does contain the worst CGI scene ever! The claws in the bathroom. I'd still say three stars (at a push.)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 57
Re Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 3:26:13 PM   
velvet

I loved it?

Post #: 58
RE: Re Green Lantern - 15/6/2011 4:22:55 PM   
piccolo135

*slaps Velvet on the back of the head*

Think you were stuck on repeat there mate.

(in reply to velvet)
Post #: 59
- 15/6/2011 4:46:24 PM   
FrenchMachine

OMG what a shock! Green Lantern is shit! (Rolls eyes.......)

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rule of Newman Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI