Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stake Land - 13/6/2011 3:47:53 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Fangtastic (sorry!) - 13/6/2011 3:47:53 PM   
jace007

I've already seen this film and can concur Empire's very sharp-eyed review! Hate sparkly vampires who eat vegetables? Want to see a CGI-free hardcase vampire film? Then watch Stake Land, nuff said!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 14/6/2011 2:19:54 PM   
piccolo135

Also agreed on this review, but same as previous comment I would also give 5 stars. There's elements of hope, horror and humanity here, with an iconic lead (Mister) that shares some Snake Pliskin like qualities. Really recommended viewing and no daft CGI vampires in sight.

Post #: 3
- 14/6/2011 2:19:56 PM   
piccolo135

Also agreed on this review, but same as previous comment I would also give 5 stars. There's elements of hope, horror and humanity here, with an iconic lead (Mister) that shares some Snake Pliskin like qualities. Really recommended viewing and no daft CGI vampires in sight.

Post #: 4
Twilight Sucks - 14/6/2011 5:12:50 PM   
jace007

A spot-on comparison to Snake Plissken (damn you for thinking that!)

< Message edited by jace007 -- 14/6/2011 5:13:46 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Twilight Sucks - 15/6/2011 9:37:50 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Cant wait to see this film. hope it reaches my cinema on Friday! Great idea and Danielle Harris!

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 6
More Adventure @ a Theme Park - 15/6/2011 9:58:09 AM   
James_Death

As Mentioned think Walking Dead with less Monsters and your not far off.
More a TV Movie, Yeah has some story Structure and Depth Some what slow Picks up Briefly an Hour in.
The Brotherhood is More Scary, infact the credits list about 4 times Brotherhood Actors than the 10 or so Vamps.
The Trailer for Dont be afraid of the Dark before it made you jump more.
Watchable for sure but dont go thinking its a Monster slaughter fest.

Post #: 7
RE: More Adventure @ a Theme Park - 15/6/2011 12:51:24 PM   
elab49

I wouldn't call it a TV movie - the mood, structure and depth of the world created doesn't deserve what is tantamount to a dismissal.

I agree with Newman on the vampires themselves - they are reassuringly tough to kill, not the sparkly crap of recent years. But I do think they maybe add one mutation too many that conflicts, I think, with the overall tone of the film thus far. I'd disagree with the ambiguity on religion as well - it's a genre standard that there will always be nuts post-apocalypse who set themselves up as a religion - but the filmmakers are very careful to balance that with the stronger, confident faith of the McGillis character, and the field adornment was a lovely touch. So while happily hating on the nutters, they don't dismiss the true values.

The best moments, for me, were those smaller touches where humanity tried to give itself a home, making clear that most people were still decent, just scared - the haircut, e.g. I thought was a very affecting piece of normality.

There's an interesting touch of Stagecoach here IMO with the location of New Eden and the inhospitableness of the US - there is an edge of politics here as well.

Definitely a 4/5 though.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/6/2011 12:52:30 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to James_Death)
Post #: 8
Stake Bland! - 19/6/2011 3:48:36 PM   
filmsunlimited

Erm, why are people giving this 4 and 5 stars? For me, it was a derivative, unoriginal borefest with nothing new. And why is Canada the new refuge from zombies? Answers smeared in blood please!

Post #: 9
RE: Stake Bland! - 19/6/2011 6:01:18 PM   
tjf00

Saw this film yesterday and was pleased that the cinema was reasonably busy as it was a great horror film. It could be compared to Monsters in that it focused on the relationships between the characters and the vampires were almost background characters. That said it was faster paced and in all honesty, more entertaining. I found it very moving in places and it didn't hold back from the horror. There were some disturbing scenes, I found the helicopter attack on the town particularly harrowing, firstly because of the method of attack and secondly because it came at such a happy moment. The director of this is definitely one to keep an eye on.

(in reply to filmsunlimited)
Post #: 10
RE: Stake Grand! - 20/6/2011 9:13:39 AM   
Invader_Ace

Awesome. 4 Stars.

(in reply to tjf00)
Post #: 11
RE: Stake Grand! - 21/6/2011 11:59:10 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Really enjoyed this suprised they managed 2 get a 15cert 4 it though?
Would love 2 see the little Twihards see this now that's A VAMPIRE KIDDIES!!!

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 12
RE: Stake Grand! - 23/6/2011 12:31:57 AM   
jmebaby25

Just saw it this evening.

It was perfectly fine. Maybe 3 & 1/2 stars.

It had some excellent moments, but I felt there were a few missteps that held it back. It was a little too long and seemed to be unsure of what it wanted to be. It some ways (and in it's best moments), I'd compare it to The Road. It captured a sense of that possible near-imminent danger around every corner. However, too often, there was actually was monster in the dark, or trouble around the corner, and the suspense suffered for it.

Also there were a few silly moments - SPOILERS AHEAD. The super-villain vamp at the end wasn't needed and I don't feel that it fitted with the gritty feel of the movie. It didn't require a Boss Battle. Also, I think at times it showed a little too much, where a subtle approach would have been more harrowing. Actually *seeing* the baby die in the opening scenes played out a little as a cheap shot to get attention, rather than to set the tone. I think the cries, suddenly being silenced would have been better.

Man, I sound like I'm slagging it off. I'm not. Case in point - the helicopter attack was perfectly handled, wonderfully shot and showed great restraint. Just seeing the feet of the girl under the tarp, and the silent look on the main characters' faces was wonderfully done. A fine film, but was let down by a few things.

I agree with what others have said - this is a director to keep an eye out for.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 13
Stake Land - 8/10/2011 6:36:03 PM   
Whistler

It's quite predictable, and uses almost every post-apocalyptic cliche in the book, but it's still a darn entertaining, vamp-slaying ride.

Post #: 14
RE: Stake Land - 18/10/2011 6:42:38 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I think it's entertaining but not great.  They both run off and leave the pregnant girl, it just wouldn't happen, and then the baddie just happens to be able to speak.  Apart from that it was really good. 

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 15
RE: Stake Land - 18/10/2011 9:04:16 PM   
princessa

I saw this months ago and loved it.  Not your usual vampire story.  The post acopolitic world they created was brilliant and loved the fact that it was unpredictable.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 16
RE: Stake Land - 19/10/2011 2:02:52 PM   
ncc74656

very very good. dont't know  why thay had to splict in the end or how the zombies followed

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 17
RE: Stake Land - 12/11/2011 12:20:58 AM   
doug64

"I think it's entertaining but not great.  They both run off and leave the pregnant girl, it just wouldn't happen, and then the baddie just happens to be able to speak.  Apart from that it was really good."

r you talking about the bit at the corn fields or the bit in the woods when the vamp grabs her?
if the woods i think they would- mister sees a vamp and trys to kill it(kinda his whole thing) and the kid just automaticaly follows mister. as he as been doing for the whole moive. they soon realise the mistake tho and turn bak.

if the corn fields  i half n between, mister is always looking out for himself n the kid first n formost and he does keep telling him, "she is right behind" to stop him going bak.

thats just my thoughts, not trying to start an argument!!!

liked the film a lot, the christians made me think of the crazies at the cinema in the first dead rising-always  a good thing :)

< Message edited by doug64 -- 12/11/2011 12:24:49 AM >

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 18
RE: Stake Land - 29/1/2012 8:09:41 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Saw this film a while ago,and I thought it was ok.

It was certaintly capturing the elements that made 28 days later such an erie film with its slow,bleak outlook on a tortured world.
The acting from the lead man was surprisingly good,I say suprising because I believe he wrote it.
It did have its cliched moments that generally apear in 'survival films',and I wasnt totally brought on the idea of the pregnant girl leaving what looked like a very comfy situated comune to then go for a ride with a bunch of vampire zombie killers.
I also had slight issues with the way scenes would dip into 'post acpolyptic' surroundings with a scored piano playing over the scene,seemed like these moments were placed far to frequently.
It had is customery gore and violance,but the plot was good enough to give it weight.
Decent film overal.
3/5

< Message edited by DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT -- 29/1/2012 9:09:53 PM >

(in reply to doug64)
Post #: 19
Disappointing - 23/2/2012 11:04:04 AM   
MrkyMrk

Found this plodding, predictable and dull. Such a shame as I really wanted to like it.

Post #: 20
Stake Land - 23/2/2012 11:07:40 PM   
lynnshep

Great premise. and extremely well executed. Scary, violent. Great acting and plot. Outstanding horror surprise.

Post #: 21
Stake Land - 23/2/2012 11:07:41 PM   
lynnshep

Great premise. and extremely well executed. Scary, violent. Great acting and plot. Outstanding horror surprise.

Post #: 22
RE: Stake Land - 27/2/2012 10:41:53 AM   
Vitamin F

Like has been already said, there's bits of The Road, Walking Dead, maybe a hint of Monsters - it all adds up to a half-decent, gritty vampire flick in these times of cgi flashy nonsense. Not perfect but certainly watchable.
The biggest flaw (again, already pointed out above) is the showdown with the main villain towards the end which was rubbish to be honest, and didn't sit at all well with the rest of the film. Thankfully it's brief.

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Stake Land Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI