Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mother's Day - 11/6/2011 5:19:49 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Nasty is the word indeed... - 11/6/2011 5:19:49 PM   
The kUrGaN

I can't find anything to like about this film to be honest. An all too familiar hostage in own home 'plot', with some nasty torture 'horror' mixed up with uninventive 'dog eat dog' Saw-like scenes make for some uninspired and uncomfortable viewing. If you're into this kind of 'horror' then you'll get a few kicks, but for everyone else you'd be well advised to move right along. Eugh !!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Nasty is the word indeed... - 13/6/2011 11:46:06 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

enjoyed this, good movie

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to The kUrGaN)
Post #: 3
Unbelievable! - 13/6/2011 1:58:32 PM   
thosemovieguys

For years now I've held off signing up and ranting like a mad man at some of the terrible reviews that Empire has posted. But this review takes the biscuit and has forced me to end my silence.

Not only is this review unbelievable, so are all the characters, the plot and some of the incredibly shocking acting. I find it hard to believe that there are films this bad being made out there, nevermind films this bad receiving a cinematic distribution!

This is comfortably the worst film I have seen at the cinema this year, which in itself is quite an achievement. But it may also be the worst film I have ever seen at the cinema (and I've seen Catwoman, Alexander, The Star Wars prequels and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on the big screen!).

With regards to the Empire review, let me start with the inconsistencies and untruths:
- This is not a horror movie. I think it was meant to be a thriller but it certainly did not succeed.
- There is not one ounce of tension in any scene. At one point at the "climax" of the film the entire audience at the screening I was at were laughing!
- At no point was there a threat level within this film. They are being bossed about by a 51 year old woman who doesn't have a weapon and her children are such terrible actors that any possible threat is wiped out instantly.
- "Perhaps" a couple too many twists! If you can call these "revelations" twists, then its not "perhaps", its definitely. Unfortunately the whole script is so lifeless and flat that by this point I no longer cared and just wanted it to end.
- and as for "character meat", it is a push to call any of these parts characters. They are 2D imitations of people that apparently have no thought process and don't show an ounce of development over the flabby 110 minute running time. At one point there is a women who serves one of these "twists" who I didn't even realise was in the house. She had not u

Post #: 4
RE: Unbelievable! - 13/6/2011 6:33:24 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Some decent scenes but overall I was dissapointed and after a certain point couldn't give a toss about how lived or died. There are some awful character moments. One case has Jami Kings character finally managing to get the advantage on her tormentor half way through the film and she goes onto to make some awful, character ruining mistakes. Totally mundane. Bad writing in that department.

The acting is pretty good though and I was surprised by who or whom made it through to the credits. The violance was rubbish and was so nasty. Seemed hemmed into the film to give it a edge but was just poorly executed. Another issues I had was with the gun use. It's beyond funny. The house in the film is in the middle of an estate yet no one seems troubled by the endless shotgun blasts coming from inside and even outside the house. Just sloppy really.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to thosemovieguys)
Post #: 5
RE: Unbelievable! - 13/6/2011 7:04:19 PM   
thosemovieguys

Apologies, I didn't realise there was a character limit.

Continuing from my earlier post - She had not uttered one word on screen beforehand. It was incredulous.

Added to this the main "characters" are so unlikeable that there is no way the viewer can possibly root for them or show them any compassion. I was wanting the robbers to off each and every one of them, if only so that the film would end.

This film has no redeeming features, its not even so bad that its good. It provides one or two unintentional laughs but nothing on the level of films like the Friday the 13th sequels, or even just the Bronhom scene from Taffin that is doing the rounds at the moment.

At one point in the film a character gets boiling water poured over his ears. At that point in the film I would have happily taken that to avoid hearing any more of the clunky dialogue. If they would also have washed my eyes out with bleach then maybe I could remove some of the stains on my mind that this movie subjected me to.

A truly awful film that I would implore everyone to avoid like the plague. Unfortunately Empire doesn't have a no star rating so I've had to give it a 1, which is 1 more than it deserves.

@thosemovieguys on twitter.

(in reply to thosemovieguys)
Post #: 6
- 13/6/2011 8:26:45 PM   
skeletonjack

Perfectly acceptable for what it was. If you like this sort of thing go see it, if not stay away. 3 stars

Post #: 7
RE: - 15/6/2011 9:41:32 AM   
Wild about Wilder

It was ok if it had finished 15-30 minutes earlier it just went on & on & on & ended up becoming a bit of a sad joke & what I would've given an ok 6/10 finally ends up with poor 4/10.

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 8
Incomprehensible! - 19/6/2011 3:54:24 PM   
filmsunlimited

A plot at times that leaves you scratching your head thinking 'what is going on here?' and it all gets rather nasty, maybe overly so and this comes from a fan of the Saw septilogy! Boiling water down the earholes, best friends made to stab each other otherwise one dies, overall this is just all unnecessary and nasty. Not good.

Post #: 9
Mother's Day - 26/6/2011 7:56:03 PM   
theoriginalcynic

A truly reprehensible film, with a cast that should really know better. Seriously, what is Deborah Ann Woll doing in this garbage? It's as bad as the Hostel movies. It's rare that I stop watching a film before the end but I could no longer continue with this.

High-lights.

Deborah Ann Woll is cute. Re-watch True Blood instead.

Low-lights.

Take your pick. A Disgusting film.

Bottom line: AVOID!

Rating: * is too much.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 28/6/2011 11:42:33 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: - 26/6/2011 8:12:39 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Double post

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 11
RE: Nasty is the word indeed... - 26/6/2011 8:14:21 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

enjoyed this, good movie

I'm worried about you.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 12
RE: Nasty is the word indeed... - 27/6/2011 6:27:27 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

did this actually make it to UK cinemas or has it gone straight to dvd/ blu ray? I'll be picking it up when i can.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 27/6/2011 6:37:29 PM >

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 13
RE: Nasty is the word indeed... - 27/6/2011 9:35:29 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Empire, three stars.  Public rating, one star.  The public is spot on. 

Post #: 14
RE: Nasty is the word indeed... - 28/6/2011 9:49:08 AM   
Gretzky

quote:

did this actually make it to UK cinemas or has it gone straight to dvd/ blu ray? I'll be picking it up when i can.

It was a very limited release - seemingly only at a handful of Cineworlds and Odeons for two weeks, then gone. It's already on German Blu-ray if you fancy an import?

Despite some negativity on here (likely by non-horror fans if they believe this is truly horrible), I really liked it. Thought it was a solid thriller, well done and well-acted in particular.

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

Post #: 15
RE: Nasty is the word indeed... - 28/6/2011 1:24:30 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

hey Gretzky thanks, is the German Blu Ray worth picking up (PQ good etc?)? Any linkies to where one can get it. I really enjoyed the movie too.

***** SPOILERS ***********

I wish De Mornay had gotten her just desserts though, this movie doesn't need a sequel and it certainly set itself up for one.

(in reply to Gretzky)
Post #: 16
RE: Nasty is the word indeed... - 29/6/2011 6:06:49 AM   
nice8520

I have watched this movie, too and I don't think so that this one is much entertaining.

Post #: 17
RE: Nasty is the word indeed... - 29/6/2011 11:38:04 AM   
Gretzky

quote:

hey Gretzky thanks, is the German Blu Ray worth picking up (PQ good etc?)? Any linkies to where one can get it. I really enjoyed the movie too.

***** SPOILERS ***********

I wish De Mornay had gotten her just desserts though, this movie doesn't need a sequel and it certainly set itself up for one.

Picture quality was superb to my eyes and I'm a perfectionist about that kind of thing! Unfortunately no extras but that's to be expected when it's had no US release of any kind yet...

You can get it here:
http://www.amazon.de/Mothers-Day-Mutter-wieder-Blu-ray/dp/B004PF5SD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309343738&sr=8-1

Site follows the same process as Amazon UK so you shouldn't need to translate much!

I hope there won't be a sequel either but no doubt there could be... Even if Bousman's not involved. A different kind of ending at the very least.

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

Post #: 18
Runs Short On Creativity, But Has A Great Deal Of Enter... - 2/2/2012 3:52:11 AM   
blaud

Trying his hand at a morbid thriller this time round, Saw III director Darren Lynn Bousman amps up the tension over the grue in favour of a more relaxed, mature film. Don't get the wrong idea, it's still as gleefully twisted and hilariously wrong as ever, which is always good, but it does feel rather like the soft option for Bousman. The screenplay screams thriller gold but the script is little more than a stuttered whisper, feeling like it was written by three people of different dialects and then being roughly translated to the same, before being thrown together. Of course, cheese is a hallmark of these kinds of film, so maybe we can cut it some slack for that reason. The story, on the other hand, doesn't wield any surprises other than one HUGELY inconsequential plot twist, and for the most part it's people pleading for their lives whilst having painful things done to them. Which is always fun, of course. The ending is a strength, however. Being quite predictable and yet actually quite horrific, it makes for a neat exit for Rebecca De Mornay, who is, it must be said, PERFECTLY cast. So, the answer is, if you have a penchant for ridiculously high-gloss sadism, go for it. Anyone after a story, go watch something else.

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Mother's Day Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI