Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Wii U

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The Wii U Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Wii U - 7/6/2011 9:44:19 PM   
ChickMagnet

Nintendo announced its successor to the Wii today and it was this:

And thats the controller, What the fudge Nintendo?  What the banana fudge?
Post #: 1
RE: The Wii U - 7/6/2011 9:58:16 PM   
Epiphany Demon

I think it's alright. If it's a way of playing console games portably, what's wrong with that? Unless I've mistaken it.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 2
RE: The Wii U - 7/6/2011 11:09:26 PM   
indysgill

The thing I like is that you can play the games either on your TV or on the controllers screen via the console streaming video, great if the other half wants to watch something.
However, will it be able to stream the game video to 2 or more controllers at time?

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 3
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 12:10:39 AM   
rich

It will also bring them up to date with current gen third party releases like Arkham City apparently. They didnt announce a price...

It's not portable though, just a tablet.

< Message edited by rich -- 8/6/2011 12:12:13 AM >

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 4
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 12:11:36 AM   
borstal

Its not a true portable device. It streams data from your Wii at home. Its more of a really glorified controller.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 5
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 12:12:44 AM   
rich

Or just a controller 

Demo thing shows exactly how it works plus some nice Zelda graphics even if its not an actual game: http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/06/wii-u-zelda-demo.html

< Message edited by rich -- 8/6/2011 12:16:32 AM >

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 6
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 12:35:27 AM   
Olaf

Didn't see the demo so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the layout of the controller seems a bit off - both analogue sticks above the buttons? And if the gameplay is incorporating the touch screen, what fingers do you use if the thumbs are on the buttons. Seems a tad unwieldy.

That said, I'm holding out hope considering all the talk about appealing to the core market as well. and HD Zelda sounds good to me.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 7
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 12:36:24 AM   
Epiphany Demon

Just a controller? Fuck that.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

Post #: 8
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 9:27:59 AM   
borstal

Im sure you still need a Wii to run it. You can play games on it but they have to be streamed from your Wii at home.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

Post #: 9
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 9:42:45 AM   
MBeard

Nintendo need to fire the idiot who is coming up with these console names.

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

Post #: 10
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 10:09:57 AM   
paulyboy

Didn't get to see the conference last night, but got to work this morning and jumped straight into this thread without reading any news items anywhere else first. To say I was confused would be an understatement, a controller? Even some news items that I then read elsewhere seemed to focus wholly on this new peripheral, very little to no mention of the actual console itself in most places.

I couldn't give a rat's arse about the new controller quite frankly, meh.

That said the console itself does raise some interest for me, the tech demo they showed (of the bird) was actually half way impressive I thought, I'll be interested to see what's under the hood of this thing once they release the full tech specs, until then I remain intrigued but unsold.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 11
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 10:18:04 AM   
sroey

Im with Paulyboy on this one - I missed the Ninty conference and the first thing that I saw was the controller. I thought WTF is going on?

A tiny bit of info on the actual console - looks a little cumbersome but the tech demo looked ok. The real test will be when the multiplatform games appear on all 3 consoles and we should hopefully see how it stacks up.

Still the Wii U? Ridiculous name. Wii I can live with and it was quite a refreshing change - I cant suggest anything better but Wii U seems lazy somehow...

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 12
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 11:19:03 AM   
kata

You crazy cats.  It's not just a controller its a new console comparable in power to the current crop.

They just decided to put the controller up front because the base unit is "just a box".

Welcome to the current gen Nintendo, your brew went cold a long time ago!
Doubt I'll be getting one.

< Message edited by kata -- 8/6/2011 11:20:36 AM >

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 13
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 11:42:38 AM   
Chief

I can only really see this appealing to the people with a Wii as their only console. This will then appear as an upgrade and "next-gen".

On a side note, my living room drawers are cluttered enough with controllers & peripherals. Can't imagine what they'd be like with 4 of those fuckers crammed in.
I don't dare think what they'd cost.

Post #: 14
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 1:38:22 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I can only really see this appealing to the people with a Wii as their only console. This will then appear as an upgrade and "next-gen".

On a side note, my living room drawers are cluttered enough with controllers & peripherals. Can't imagine what they'd be like with 4 of those fuckers crammed in.
I don't dare think what they'd cost.

I think Chief has hit the nail on the head there, the screen alone is about 5-6 inches, throw in the buttons being all over the place and son I am disappoint.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 15
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 3:36:42 PM   
Invader_Ace

Except, you won't have 4.  Other sites are reporting that they are designed to be one per console.

Post #: 16
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 7:23:12 PM   
Spaldron

Have to say this has failed to blow me away. However a new Zelda title will always interest me, especially with new gen graphics.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 17
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 8:04:04 PM   
Rod Hull

Dread to think how much the controller's cost. Can you still use the Wii controllers with it? Otherwise multiplayer at Xmas will be an expensive endeavour. And having the face buttons beneath the analogue stick is very wrong.

< Message edited by Rod Hull -- 8/6/2011 8:05:16 PM >

Not with the pastry!

Post #: 18
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 8:29:34 PM   
themightyhutch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Except, you won't have 4. Other sites are reporting that they are designed to be one per console.

That sounds like the most remarkably pointless thing in the world. Especially with friends. Guys come over and watch me play my games console.

I really don't think this will manage to do very much. Nintendo have only just caught up with PS3 and 360 levels of graphics, and in a few short years they will upgrade their consoles as well and Nintendo will be lagging yet again, stealing the thunder from Nintendo.

Not to mention this...http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306269/nintendo-wii-u-uk-price-set-at-pound39985/

I do hope this is all wrong.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 19
RE: The Wii U - 8/6/2011 9:00:57 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: themightyhutch

quote:

Except, you won't have 4.  Other sites are reporting that they are designed to be one per console.

That sounds like the most remarkably pointless thing in the world. Especially with friends. Guys come over and watch me play my games console.

I really don't think this will manage to do very much. Nintendo have only just caught up with PS3 and 360 levels of graphics, and in a few short years they will upgrade their consoles as well and Nintendo will be lagging yet again, stealing the thunder from Nintendo.

Not to mention this...http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306269/nintendo-wii-u-uk-price-set-at-pound39985/

I too hope the price is wrong but I think the console looks interesting...

I know that Nintendo will always be about innovation and being something different rather than being a powerful beast of a console.  As far I'm concerned, I've got the 360 for the big, flashy powerhouse games and the Wii for the more light hearted stuff (not meaning party games - more the Mario and Zelda stuff than Gears of War and Call of Duty).  It's not always about power; I bough both a DS and PSP and it wasn't the DS that merely collected dust and eventually got sold!

Given that it appears to be fully compatible with the Wii games and controllers, if the games look good and the price is a bit more reasonable, I'd be interested in replacing the Wii with it!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 20
RE: The Wii U - 9/6/2011 2:21:24 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

Except, you won't have 4. Other sites are reporting that they are designed to be one per console.

For Nintendo its never been about the graphics. And I think you're way off in terms of 360 and PS3 upgrading their consoles. Considering they're still making a loss on both machines and the cost of producing games these days its very unlikely we'll see a new gen console for at least another 5-10 years and by then we'll have moved in to cloud gaming probably.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 21
RE: The Wii U - 9/6/2011 8:41:30 AM   
Chief

quote:

quote:

Unless you only use one big 'master' controller with a screen and 3 smaller 'basic' controllers.

Post #: 22
RE: The Wii U - 9/6/2011 8:59:14 AM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

For Nintendo its never been about the graphics.

SNES says your wrong!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 23
RE: The Wii U - 9/6/2011 9:24:43 AM   
Marky_Mark

Tut tut Nintendo. They've admitted that the HD gaming footage in their E3 trailer wasn't from Wii U games, but XBOX and PS3 titles.

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 24
RE: The Wii U - 9/6/2011 11:25:36 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

For Nintendo its never been about the graphics. And I think you're way off in terms of 360 and PS3 upgrading their consoles. Considering they're still making a loss on both machines and the cost of producing games these days its very unlikely we'll see a new gen console for at least another 5-10 years and by then we'll have moved in to cloud gaming probably.

Theres not a chance that this gen is going to last that much longer. The 360 has already been out for nearly 6 years, console generations don't last 10-15 years, the tech develops far too quickly for this to be the case.

I'd actually like you to be correct on this and not have to buy a new gen of console for at least another 5 years but I'd bet my house on another gen being out on the street within 3 years tops.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 9/6/2011 1:00:42 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 25
RE: The Wii U - 10/6/2011 9:28:07 PM   
Rod Hull

I think this sums up all the questions and attitudes I have towards the WiiUUUUU.

Not with the pastry!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 26
RE: The Wii U - 10/6/2011 9:48:34 PM   
Jules

I think it has a lot of potential. Plenty of people thought the DS was a dodgy idea when news of it was first released and look how many that sold. Hopefully it won't be at the price mentioned in that previous link though as surely that would affect it's chances.

Never underestimate the power of denial

(in reply to Rod Hull)
Post #: 27
RE: The Wii U - 10/6/2011 9:50:45 PM   
rich

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-10-iwata-reacts-to-fallen-nintendo-stock

(in reply to Jules)
Post #: 28
RE: The Wii U - 5/9/2012 9:43:58 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Wii U will launch in November, according to a retail supplier.

The console is listed for a November 11 North American release by Video Product Distributors, the company responsible for supplying Amazon and Blockbuster, reports Nintendo Life.

Starting at $249 and rising to $349, a total of three Wii U bundles are listed, although exact contents are not specified.

The Wii U launch date has been the subject of much speculation since its unveiling at last year's E3 Gaming Expo.

Amazon Germany previously listed the console for a December 21 release, costing 399 - approximately 322/$506 - although it has since lowered the price.

The console has also been rumoured for a November release, through both Ubisoft at the E3 Gaming Expo and a leaked Black Ops 2 listing.

Performance Designed Products (PDP), meanwhile, recently denied that it "leaked" the launch date of Nintendo's Wii U during one of its product demonstrations.

Nintendo is expected to announce an official launch date for the Wii U on September 13 following the distribution of press invites scheduled for that date.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 29
RE: The Wii U - 13/9/2012 9:31:53 AM   
Invader_Ace

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/sep/13/wii-u-nintendo-launch-details-live
8.39am: So much of the debate at the moment is on the price of an extra GamePad, the tablet-like controller that is the key feature of the new console. Although one comes bundled with the device, if you want another one, it'll set you back around 107.
Indie developer Brian Provinciano just tweeted:
Wii U supports an additional tablet but due to its cost (thus how few people will buy it), can't imagine many games using this feature.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The Wii U Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI