Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Far Cry 3

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Far Cry 3 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Far Cry 3 - 7/6/2011 8:55:44 PM   
From_Hell

So Far Cry 3 has been announced, and it would seem that the developers are keen to improve on the parts of it's predecessor that caused alot of grumbles.

Despite it's flaws, I loved Far Cry 2. It was gorgeous to look at, I loved travelling around the countryside and pulling off some of the missions led to some incredibly tense moments, so I'm keeping a keen eye on this one.

Previewed here on OXM: http://www.oxm.co.uk/29270/previews/far-cry-3-with-video/

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

Post #: 1
RE: Far Cry 3 - 7/6/2011 10:08:23 PM   
Marky_Mark

I loved the original (and the reboot), hated Far Cry 2. Repetitive, dull missions, and just not enough to do.

I like the idea behind Far Cry 3....they're going to have to brush up on those graphics if they want to compete with other FPSs that are out at the moment. It looks like a cartoon.

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 2
RE: Far Cry 3 - 8/6/2011 2:39:52 AM   
thepluginbaby

Despite all its flaws... I hated Farcry 2.

But the demo for Farcry 3 is hands down one of the best trailers I've yet seen at E3. If they can fix all the bugs from the last game, Farcry 3 could be brilliant, finally realizing the potential of 2.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 3
RE: Far Cry 3 - 8/6/2011 6:37:11 AM   
wyneGuyA1

I thought Far Cry was great. It had pretty good AI and great graphics for its time. Far Cry 2 wasn't so great. The missions were boring. Far Cry 3 looks like it will resurrect the series.

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 4
RE: Far Cry 3 - 16/6/2011 7:06:21 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I thought "Far Cry" was a fantastic game. I liked the inclusion of the mutant humans or whatever they were, gave the game a nice fantastical element. From what I played of the second game, it did seem a little too repetitive and boring in places. Plus, how it seemed every single person on the map wanted to kill you. So there's no such thing as simply 'passing through' a checkpoint. Well without a bit of personal landscaping. 

Did anyone else get annoyed with the irritating saaarth afrikaaan accents? I just immediately shot any that came my way.

The extended trailer for "Far Cry 3" looks superb and I like how they're going back to the spirit of the original game. I think island hopping is better suited to the franchise, than simply being stuck on a safari.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to wyneGuyA1)
Post #: 5
RE: Far Cry 3 - 16/6/2011 9:04:37 PM   
directorscut

Bring back a massive, colourful tropical island where you can go anywhere. That's what Far Cry is about.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 6
RE: Far Cry 3 - 17/6/2011 8:14:22 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Hopefully, it's won't be a far cry from the original.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 7
RE: Far Cry 3 - 21/11/2012 8:21:25 PM   
From_Hell

A couple of reviews for Far Cry 3 and and they're very positive.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/21/far-cry-3-review

http://www.oxm.co.uk/47802/reviews/far-cry-3-review/

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 8
RE: Far Cry 3 - 21/11/2012 8:24:10 PM   
Scott_

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-21-far-cry-3-review

Another one. Sounds awesome, will be ordering the Insane Edition me thinks.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 9
RE: Far Cry 3 - 21/11/2012 8:26:12 PM   
From_Hell

I'd be pre-ordering it too, but I've got too much to play already. I'll just have to hope Father Christmas brings it to me...

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 10
RE: Far Cry 3 - 22/11/2012 8:12:38 AM   
sroey

Just pre-ordered based on those reviews...very excited now for this!

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 11
RE: Far Cry 3 - 22/11/2012 2:00:58 PM   
Hooch0959

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

Just pre-ordered based on those reviews...very excited now for this!

I've just done exactly the same dude

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 12
RE: Far Cry 3 - 28/11/2012 10:34:44 AM   
sroey

Far Cry 3 has been despatched from Shopto!!

Get in!

(in reply to Hooch0959)
Post #: 13
RE: Far Cry 3 - 29/11/2012 9:29:41 AM   
paulyboy

I'm a bit annoyed by the reviews to be honest, I swore to the girlfriend I wouldn't buy anything else until Christmas, Far Cry 3 included, so that she'd have some things to get me etc.

I'm itching to play it, oh well, will have to wait!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 14
RE: Far Cry 3 - 29/11/2012 6:11:21 PM   
Dark Knight

Played it for a couple of hours this afternoon. Mightily impressed so far. Great start to the game, combining tense action with a smartly paced tutorial - after a couple of hours, I feel the reins have now been taken off and it is time to go and explore.

The save system is far better than in FC2 - although you cannot save during a mission, but you do however get checkpoints in case of trouble. Liking the skill trees, although it is early days and need a better look at where I want to send my character. Nice idea to skin animals for pouches and rucksacks and collect herbs for remedies (thanks to Red Dead Redemption).

Only one gripe - already had to turn off the in-game music. Not because it is poor, instead because I managed to mishear a snake hissing next to me, which then bit me, all because the in-game music was pumping out.

Gonna turn it back on for a few more hours later on tonight.

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Far Cry 3 - 29/11/2012 7:57:44 PM   
Scott_

Got myself stuck on a little rocky outcrop in the ocean with about 4 Sharks between me and safety...I could fast travel but wheres the fun in that?

Really enjoying this so far, just wandering around checking out sights and sounds. It's all very cool. The stealth system actually works, if a guard spots you it's not instant war like Far Cry 2, you have a chance to recover the situation. An arrow to the face (the knee won't get the job done) will usually resolve the situation.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 16
RE: Far Cry 3 - 30/11/2012 8:04:08 AM   
sroey

What can I say? This is fabulous so far! Great visuals, very immersive and you are free to go anywhere you want from the off.

After the opening tutorials I decided to go off exploring. Found some caves, Jet-ski's, went hunting and got killed alot by tigers. The difficulty is pretty harsh at times - you die pretty quickly at first and you cant go steaming in to a fight at all. You need to be patient and sneaky until you can unlock the bigger better weapons. I am waiting until I can afford a sniper rifle then its going to be a sneak fest all the way.

The stealth is great too, you can actually hide in trees and bushes even if some attackers are mere feet away from you and searching for you. The camera is a handy tool too and a clever way of highlighting enemies.

Love it so far and I haven't really played it too much yet. Its a fantastic sandbox game!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 17
RE: Far Cry 3 - 2/12/2012 11:15:31 PM   
kumar

Bought this today as a birthday present- got it dirt cheap after massive staff discounts from Tesco. Had a little play for about an hour today and ill be honest, I didnt have a clue what I was doing. Managed to take out an out post and it took me ages to kill a poacher. I was sat in the bushes throwing rocks for ages and I thought I would pick them off one by one with my AK47 (shoot and run away lol). This worked once then I ran out of bullets which really put me in the shit, but I managed to do it in the end.
After that there was some hunter mission, I had to kill 5 rabid dogs with a shot gun, and that was bloody difficult too. Im shit at the shooting- the last dog had me bandaging myself up every second. THEN after killing those, completely losing where I left the AK47 and the car, I decided to walk around, and what do you know? A group of pirates drove past me in a goddamn car, meaning I had to run into the jungle.....and straight into a fucking tiger.

What the hell is going on?

IMPORTANT EDIT: also, there seems to be a bit of a problem with the video quality during game play. Ive got a 1080p LED (I considered!) but when I was playing it appeared glitchy, rather than smooth like all my other games have been. Any suggestions anyone?

< Message edited by kumar -- 2/12/2012 11:30:49 PM >

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 18
RE: Far Cry 3 - 4/12/2012 1:33:07 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I don't often buy games anymore but i picked this up on Friday. really enjoying it so far. Graphics don't seem as impressive as Far Cry 2's did back in the day. There's been some pretty cool set pieces so far, but i want to take my time with this game.

Need to delve into multiplayer soon

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 19
RE: Far Cry 3 - 4/12/2012 1:39:46 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

IMPORTANT EDIT: also, there seems to be a bit of a problem with the video quality during game play. Ive got a 1080p LED (I considered!) but when I was playing it appeared glitchy, rather than smooth like all my other games have been. Any suggestions anyone?

You git. I just hurr hurr-ed quite loudly around the office.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 20
RE: Far Cry 3 - 4/12/2012 2:09:25 PM   
Chief

I think this could be my Christmas Day game this year. Looks pretty damn good.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 21
RE: Far Cry 3 - 4/12/2012 2:55:04 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

You git. I just hurr hurr-ed quite loudly around the office.

He he he. I downloaded an update for ps3 and it has improved, I was under the impression it would download automatically when available. Its still is not perfect though but it is much better. Had an extended play this morning as a birthday treat and beginning to enjoy it now. Though using the grenades and c4 and mines and sneaky stuff is way too hard, so i end up shooting from a distance then running away, with the hope i dont fall off a cliff, run into a tiger, gored by a boar or eaten by a shark. Need to get on this combat! Not tried multiplayer yet either.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 22
RE: Far Cry 3 - 4/12/2012 4:24:22 PM   
sroey

Managed to pickup a Sniper rifle fairly early on in the game and its been awesome picking everyone off from a safe distance. High power scope and silencer are a must. I only ever really go 'loud' when they send a jeep full of pirates to look for me then I either unleash the RPG on the jeep (explosions are cool in this game!) or the flame thrower.

A couple of gripes - the island is very 'samey' so far and the local wildlife take far to many bullets to put down! Predators seem to be able to take a few rounds to the head before they crumble! Lastly the NPC 'chatter' was funny at first "Who's the man?", "You got this!" but a game this big and thats all they say? Jesus!!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 23
RE: Far Cry 3 - 4/12/2012 8:14:39 PM   
Scott_

Anyone tried co-op? It's Left 4 Dead with pirates instead of zombies. T'is pretty cool.

quote:

Managed to pickup a Sniper rifle fairly early on in the game and its been awesome picking everyone off from a safe distance. High power scope and silencer are a must. I only ever really go 'loud' when they send a jeep full of pirates to look for me then I either unleash the RPG on the jeep (explosions are cool in this game!) or the flame thrower.

A couple of gripes - the island is very 'samey' so far and the local wildlife take far to many bullets to put down! Predators seem to be able to take a few rounds to the head before they crumble! Lastly the NPC 'chatter' was funny at first "Who's the man?", "You got this!" but a game this big and thats all they say? Jesus!!

Yeah, I was doing the sniping thing but got bored. Now I try to take every outpost using just the knife and the bow. Rambo style.

Oh, and C4. That shit is cool.

< Message edited by Scott_ -- 4/12/2012 8:16:43 PM >

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 24
RE: Far Cry 3 - 4/12/2012 8:24:14 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Yeah, I was doing the sniping thing but got bored. Now I try to take every outpost using just the knife and the bow. Rambo style.

You're really selling me on it now.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 25
RE: Far Cry 3 - 4/12/2012 10:38:38 PM   
Hooch0959

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Get it dude tis a solid game, much fun to be had. As Scott said tis all about the bow and knife, especially when you stab one and throw the victims knife in another dudes head.

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 26
RE: Far Cry 3 - 5/12/2012 8:01:05 AM   
sroey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Anyone tried co-op? It's Left 4 Dead with pirates instead of zombies. T'is pretty cool.

quote:

I like the bow, but find it a bit under powered from what I have used. An RPG to clear out some grouped heavies in some of the outposts is also a crowd pleaser!

I havent used C4 or mines yet. I'll give them a go methinks...I might just have to switch over to the bow with fire arrows...give them another try too. I am on a mission to clear out the outposts and get to all the radio towers before I go any further with the main quest. It really bugs me going to a part of the island with no minimap coverage

Ace game!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 27
RE: Far Cry 3 - 5/12/2012 11:17:40 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hooch0959
quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Get it dude tis a solid game, much fun to be had. As Scott said tis all about the bow and knife, especially when you stab one and throw the victims knife in another dudes head.

I think I will. This and a crate of lager at 10am sounds good to me.

(in reply to Hooch0959)
Post #: 28
RE: Far Cry 3 - 5/12/2012 2:01:15 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Loving this even more. Definitely want to get all the communication towers before getting back to the main story.

Anyone got any tips on killing a shark? I dont seem to be able to use weapons or knives whilst underweater!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29
RE: Far Cry 3 - 5/12/2012 3:00:49 PM   
Jules

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Anyone got any tips on killing a shark? I dont seem to be able to use weapons or knives whilst underweater!

Stay on a boat and use a shotgun when they get close. Try to do it fairly shallow water though so you don't have to dive too far to skin them.

Never underestimate the power of denial

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Far Cry 3 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI