Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY '13

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY '13 Page: <<   < prev  25 26 27 28 [29]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY '13 - 3/9/2013 4:26:41 PM   
galvatron

Can you blame Bilbao for doing this? They can't go out and buy a replacement player like other clubs. They only field players with Basque origins and there isn't much of a pool to choose from.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 841
RE: TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY '13 - 3/9/2013 4:37:46 PM   
Olaf

anyone who thinks any team doesn't need Ozil is delusional - in terms of pure ability, he's in the top ten/fifteen in the world and probably the best individual player in the league right now. Just as importantly, this means (1) Arsenal are willing to spend going forward and (2) Arsenal can get the very best players. I'm still expecting to wake up and it all be a wonderful dream.

on Arsenal needing a defender - a statement like 'trophy winners are built on sound defence and goalkeeper and Arsene Wenger has neglected these key areas' is exactly the kind of thing people who don't watch Arsenal like to say on a regular basis. Our defence is the most effective part of our game at the moment, and we have statistically one of the best defences in the league. An extra centre half would have been good, but Sagna has filled in brilliantly whenever he's had to play there (maybe better there than at RB) so that's three very solid central defenders until Verm gets back, which will surely get us to Christmas barring another injury meltdown (...). Looking at the first team depth chart:
LB: Gibbs, Monreal
CB: Kos, Mertesacker, Sagna, (Verm)
RB: Sagna, Jenkinson

it seems functional to me. And on the DM issue - we haven't played with a conventional defensive midfielder since the mid-00s (and even then, only people who didn't actually watch Gilberto play like to claim he was a big tough-tackling midfielder, when he was actually much more like a hybrid of Arteta and Flamini). Ramsey's defensive contribution is massively underrated, and I was genuinely surprised at how Flamini did on Sunday - especially against a spuds midfield made up entirely of big tough tackling midfielders - so he's an option for matches that need that level of physicality. I'd nearly consider starting him ahead of Wilshere at the moment, at least with Sunderland and Stoke coming up. (great quote from Wenger on Flamini: 'I am just sorry he didn't cost 25m' )

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 842
RE: TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY '13 - 3/9/2013 4:39:59 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Nope cant blame them either way to be honest,though I do find the whole deal interesting ,that and the fact the clubs are slowly but surely getting
some of there power back with regards to players.But how much power is too much power?
With the way things are going and I can see more and more deals being ever so complicated.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 843
RE: TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY '13 - 3/9/2013 4:59:37 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Still going to reserve judgement on Arsenal.But ,to be fair,they have done well since that odd game against Villa,maybe they've finally turned the corner or maybe ...

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 844
RE: TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY '13 - 3/9/2013 5:04:10 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Still going to reserve judgement on Arsenal.But ,to be fair,they have done well since that odd game against Villa,maybe they've finally turned the corner or maybe ...

Well, it's Arsenal so I'm never going to say that we're definitely going to win stuff now. And Wenger had totally worn out my patience before he pulled this off, so definitely things can change very quickly. But any suggestion that we haven't been vastly improved by a player of Ozil's quality is absurd. And you can't quantify the amount of goodwill that comes from a world-class signing like this, compared to three pretty good players for the same combined total.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 845
RE: TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY '13 - 3/9/2013 5:05:47 PM   
directorscut

Make of that what you will.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 846
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 27 28 [29]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY '13 Page: <<   < prev  25 26 27 28 [29]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI