Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DC Universe to reboot?!?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 30/6/2011 9:03:49 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

I don't really find the DC character names anymore silly than Marvel. Out of the ones you've listed; how is Spider-Man any stronger than Hawkman? And Captain America is a seriously daft name. Let's not forget Marvel also have the Green Goblin, The Thing, Mr.Fantastic and Black Cat. They all sound pretty embarassing to me, regardless of how cool or not the characters are.

Fair point re: Spider-Man and Hawkman (Spidey looks a lot cooler though. Hawkman has always looked ridiculous). Those Marvel names mostly are still better than the vast majority of DC names (The Flash is a decent DC name, one of the few). Black Cat is a common term, not just a haphazard mashing of colour/thing. The Thing is a great name!

I have no excuse for Green Goblin though, that's pretty silly alright   Maybe I prefer the Marvel names because they all reflect what the character is/does. Names like Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter don't explain much. Or maybe it's just cos' I'm more familiar with the Marvel characters!

The Thing does? Its literally like they couldn't think of anything to call him and just wnet well hes this thing, aha! Great name, Thing. To me, Thing is a hand that runs around a creepy mansion. Mr. Fantatsic, what does that tell us? Dr Strange? Impossible Man? Red Wasp?

The Thing was a film reference, I always thought. Like those 50s sci-fi/monster films.

I've actually never heard of those last two. Impossible Man?!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

And Marvel had Stilt-Man, who... well, I'll let you figure it out.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!  I'll defend Stilt-Man till my dying day!
In fairness, even the comics take the piss out of him.

I think we can all agree that, for the most part, all of Marvel and DC characters are ridiculous. If only they could all come up with a name as brilliant and evocative as Hellboy...

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 91
DC Universe to reboot?!? - 24/7/2011 11:32:39 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I picked up this free 'preview' comic at FORBIDDEN PLANET yesterday as I was curious about the whole DC Universe reboot. Gotta say, I am intrigued. I like the fact that Jim Lee still has the same passion and love for the characters and storylines he had when he first started out waaaay back in the late 80's/early 90's. And I noticed artists & writers whose work I haven't read for quite a while - Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund, Scott Lobdell, Tony Daniel, Greg Capullo etc. - I used to love the stuff these guys produced back at Marvel and Image. I'm almost tempted to pick up a lot of the new #1 issues. For some reason, RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS sticks out for me. Maybe it's 'cos he sorta reminds me of DEADPOOL. Might pick up some trades.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 24/7/2011 11:43:21 AM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 92
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 24/7/2011 11:41:56 AM   
Snake-Eyes

What happened with that MARVEL.1 thing? was that supposed to be a similar re-launch?

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 24/7/2011 11:43:01 AM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 93
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 24/7/2011 11:42:42 AM   
sanchia

I had a look at that myself the other day. It is not particularly inspiring. Whilst there a few things in there which have potential it doesn't really sell the whole reboot, it comes across like it is going to be a weird hybrid of the pre-reboot and after rather than a completely new start,

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 94
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 11/8/2011 4:35:30 PM   
benmharper

Only a couple of weeks to go until the reboot. Have you lot decided what you're gonna be picking up?

I'm going most the Bat books (not bat wing or the red hood one) and the Green Lantern books, which is basically what I read now. Also gonna start on JLA and give Aquaman a go (just because of who's working on them)

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 95
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 11/8/2011 4:50:11 PM   
Rob

My list is:

JLA
Batman
Detective
Teen Titans
Aquaman
Batwoman
Red Hood and the Outsiders
Green Lantern
Red Lantern
Batman: Dark Knight
Batman and Robin

Some of those are purely based on the creative teams so depending on how long they stick around for and how good the stories are I imagine I'll drop three or four of them.

Is anyone going digital?

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 96
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 12/8/2011 11:47:11 AM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Is anyone going digital?

I may the odd title that catches my eye on digital, but I'll mainly be sticking to the old fashioned paper way

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 97
RE: Missing Thread - 21/8/2011 11:09:03 PM   
Vadersville

Bit off topic... I just came on to post in the Batman chronology thread and its gone! Anyone know why, or how to get it back?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 98
RE: Missing Thread - 22/8/2011 12:57:51 AM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

Bit off topic... I just came on to post in the Batman chronology thread and its gone! Anyone know why, or how to get it back?

Was that the one in the comic books forum, by any chance? I started that, and I can't find it either

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 99
RE: Missing Thread - 22/8/2011 1:18:02 AM   
elab49

Honestly, how long have you guys been here! 

Change the 'display topics from last x days' pull down bit at the top of the forum - it just means your thread hasn't had a post in it for a while.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 100
RE: Missing Thread - 22/8/2011 3:28:16 AM   
directorscut

quote:

LINK: http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2763624

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 101
DC Reboot - 23/8/2011 4:36:59 PM   
Rob

Really looking forward to the reboot now.

My only concern is how much I end up spending. In addition to the list above I'll probably pick up the first couple of issues of Action, Batgirl, Nightwing and probably a few others.

JLA and Batman are the ones that I'm most looking forward to though.

< Message edited by Rob -- 23/8/2011 4:40:10 PM >

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 102
RE: DC Reboot - 23/8/2011 10:04:40 PM   
Vadersville

Still dreading it. Although I was tempted by an offer I saw online to buy all 52 of the new #1s for half price....

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 103
RE: DC Reboot - 24/8/2011 3:39:32 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Still dreading it. Although I was tempted by an offer I saw online to buy all 52 of the new #1s for half price....

Where did you see this? I must admit, I was toying with the idea of buying 'em all as an investment.

Post #: 104
RE: DC Reboot - 24/8/2011 9:48:53 AM   
Vadersville

There was an Ad on Deviant Art for it a week or so back. Sorry, I didn't save the link. It was a US based company so I presume you would have to pay International shipping but yeah, same reason I was going to get them. Bag and board them and add them to my pension fund. 

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 105
RE: DC Reboot - 31/8/2011 1:11:11 AM   
furrybastard

Nice little (unofficial) ad for The New 52, which kicks off tomorrow with Flashpoint #5 and Justice League #1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH3W1gQYiD4

So who is picking up what, if anything? Here's mine:

Justice League (Hype works in this case. May not stick around too long)
Batman (Snyder's writing is the main draw for me, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Capullo does with it)
Wonder Woman (Probably the most ambitious-sounding and interesting to me. Azzarello is great. His Flashpoint Batman mini was the best thing about that event)
Action Comics (I like the sound of Supes as Bruce Springsteen!)
Animal Man (Jeff Lemire. That is all.)
Swamp Thing (Snyder again and a a great art team)
Batwoman
Stormwatch (A Maybe for me. I like Cornell but the first issue is going to have to impress for me to continue on with it)
Superman (Another Maybe. I'll definitely get the first out of curiosity but it'll have to be very good to convince me to pick up the second issue!)

9 in total. That's 8 more DC comics than I currently buy!

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 31/8/2011 3:23:16 PM >

Post #: 106
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 31/8/2011 3:53:24 PM   
britesparc

Well I've just bought (and read) Flashpoint 5 and Justice League 1 and... I'm pretty impressed. No spoilers, but FP 5 has a great ending, that does segue very neatly into the new Justice League.

JL 1 is a nice first issue; a slow-burner, and more of a two-hander than maybe people were expecting. There's lots of nice banter between Batman and Green Lantern, and it paints a good picture of the all-new DCU.

I think I'll be picking up the following every month:

Justice League
Action Comics
Batman
Nightwing
Batgirl
Batman & Robin
Batman Incorporated/Leviathan (when it starts)

And I'll certainly get the first issues of the following (and might stick around, depending):

Superman
Stormwatch
Teen Titans
Catwoman
All-Star Western
Batwing
Detective Comics

So, er, quite a lot!

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 107
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 2/9/2011 3:17:58 PM   
furrybastard

I read Flashpoint #5 and thought it was a bit crap, really. The final scene between Flash and Batman was great though, one of the best character moments I've seen in any of DCs big events of the last few years.

Overall I guess the story just became a means to an end for DC's new 52.

Justice League #1 next. Not a huge Jim Lee fan (maybe all the imitators like Davd Finch et al are to blame for making that style really generic and tiresome) but the whole concept is somwhat intriguing. And as I said above, I do plan to purchase more DC titles this month than I've done in years.

We'll see how long that lasts...

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 108
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 3/9/2011 9:44:41 AM   
Wild about Wilder

How long till they do a Marvel & go back to the original numbers can't see Action comics staying especially when it gets close to number 1,000 i'm gonna use it as a way to clear some of my comics of my TOOOO BIIGGGG LIST SO THANK YOU DC FOR HELPING ME MAKE UP MY MIND!
It's all a ruse to bump up the price to $3.99 anyway. Also how many times is this that Green Arrow's had a number 1 issue must've had 3 in the last year alone???

Post #: 109
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 3/9/2011 11:07:28 AM   
Xanxiani

Haven't bought any new comics since Roy of the Rovers in the 80s, though I've got some classic Graphic Novels, some Essential and Showcase collections and have recently bought GL: Rebirth, Sinestro Corps Wars and been getting some free online stuff on Comixology and a Marvel Online free trial. I was intrigued by the New 52 as continuity can be a pain when you just pop in and out like I tend to do (the Marvel and DC Encyclopedias are essential!). Seemed like a good jumping on point and there are a few titles I'd like to check out. I picked up JLA #1 with the digital copy to compare and contrast, and although I enjoyed the story it struck me just how little you actually get for your money. Most paperback collections you can now get online for 6-7, which seem so much better value that 3-odd for a single issue.

So, although this has got me interested in keeping up with the new DC line-up I suspect I'll still wait a couple of years before picking up the first collections for a reasonable price. Till then I've still got loads of old stuff to catch up on!

"But there's no sense crying
Over every mistake.
You just keep on trying
Till you run out of cake."

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 110
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 3/9/2011 1:02:53 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder
It's all a ruse to bump up the price to $3.99 anyway.

Hmm most of the new #1s remain at $2.99 though. I think it's only JL and Action Comics with the higher price point.

I read JL #1 yesterday and thought it was ok, nothing spectacular. In a weird way, I get the impression that this is what Flashpoint should have been. It was much too slight and I think they could have maybe made it a bigger issue since it was #1 and an introduction into this new world (as well as the higher price tag they're demanding). The art was fine, if a bit redundant. I think it could have had a bit more room for some world-building: the trio of superheroes were of course the main focus but there was little to no context about the world they inhabited. It was all a bit too shallow for my liking, especially for a first issue which needs to bring the reader in and want more.

I've just pre-ordered these anyway: Action Comics, Animal Man, Stormwatch and Swamp Thing.  Initial reviews seem to indicate that these are the strongest titles of the relaunch so far. Unsurprising, considering the talent involved. DC really need to strengthen their second/third tier titles with better creative teams. They're practically giving the most promising creators away to Marvel for the last few years (Nick Spencer, Brian Wood, Jason Aaron etc.)

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 111
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 3/9/2011 3:19:53 PM   
sanchia

I read JL 1 yesterday as well. Rather forgettable but the thing which really stood out is how terrible the new Superman suit looks on the page, truly awful. With regards to the winding up of the previous series which has been going on in recent months. I get the impression that the writers did not know this was going to happen as a lot of the conclusions feel slapped on and rushed with the artwork not standing up to previous issues and some rather poorly scripted farewells (See Jusitice Society for one example).

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 112
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 3/9/2011 5:44:46 PM   
furrybastard

I suppose they can always change the costume again. Morrison is writing him with jeans and a t-shirt I think!

Not quite sure how they will be able to explain the decision to wear red underwear outside his pants though...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 113
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 3/9/2011 7:37:20 PM   
sanchia

Alcohol. I know it had that effect on me once...

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 114
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 4/9/2011 12:40:17 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I'm intrigued ... but already overwhelmed. 

I'm no collector ... I'd probably get too into it ... can't afford to and I need closure so just like a beginning middle and an end to my stories. So I usually pick up short stories or books which have been compiled together etc ... still thinking if it's worth picking up a few number ones and sticking with one for a bit ...

How do you get digital copies? I remember hearing you get a digital copy with Justice League 1? I assume they don't do that for all of them ... though that would have been awesome ...

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 115
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 4/9/2011 2:21:20 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

I'm no collector ... I'd probably get too into it ... can't afford to and I need closure so just like a beginning middle and an end to my stories. So I usually pick up short stories or books which have been compiled together etc ... still thinking if it's worth picking up a few number ones and sticking with one for a bit ...

How do you get digital copies? I remember hearing you get a digital copy with Justice League 1? I assume they don't do that for all of them ... though that would have been awesome ...

See, this is another reason why the reboot seems so pointless. Its meant to attract new readers yet I think if anything it'll just do the opposite....

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 116
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 4/9/2011 6:12:24 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

See, this is another reason why the reboot seems so pointless. Its meant to attract new readers yet I think if anything it'll just do the opposite....

52 different titles! That's overwhelming already.

What's especially confusing is that if I understand correctly EVERYTHING which happened before ... has been wiped away?

But then you've got like three Batman stories, a Catwoman Story, Night Wing, Red Hood etc but then what's the history of that? In one story it's Batman at the start all over again fair enough. But if it's a Nightwing story then there's already a history there ... and it's one we don't know about.

Post #: 117
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 4/9/2011 7:48:37 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

What's especially confusing is that if I understand correctly EVERYTHING which happened before ... has been wiped away?

But then you've got like three Batman stories, a Catwoman Story, Night Wing, Red Hood etc but then what's the history of that? In one story it's Batman at the start all over again fair enough. But if it's a Nightwing story then there's already a history there ... and it's one we don't know about.

The Batman continuity is pretty much staying the same, apparently. So Damian is still there, all of Morrison's stuff recently happened (incl. his death from Darkseid, I guess!?) Aw hell, I don't know.

Scott Snyder is writing the main Batman title though, so I'm sold. I'm thinking it's kind of like a 'soft' reboot, where they can pick and choose what stays and what goes continuity-wise.

Agree with the poster above about Action Comics being renumbered when it hits #1000 though. I still think they should have kept Detective and Actions original numbering, just as an acknowledgment that they've been around since the 30s. Their modus operandi has always been a focus on self-contained adventure/detective stories too so it means nothing to re- number them, just a cheap cash-grab.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 118
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 4/9/2011 7:53:04 PM   
Vadersville

Batman's continuity is going to be so fucked up. If they change it or if they leave it the same, simply because everything else is changing. 

Post #: 119
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 5/9/2011 11:21:12 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Definetly agree imagine people that have been collecting BatMan & SuperMan comics for decades getting them all in order only to be told oh were gonna start you off at number 1 again there's nothing that pisses long time comic followers off.
I myself see no reason for sorry about this Ressurecting Ressurection Man yet doing away with JSA though I blame DC for trying to split that comic into 2 mags.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI