Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DC Universe to reboot?!?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2011 5:06:01 PM   
Jodan_King

The praise around Morrison's work on Batman is intriguing.  What is the title of the run, and is there a collated ed yet?

"I'm storming your castle on my steed m'lady!"

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 31
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2011 7:09:03 PM   
Vadersville

Anyone got a link to these new costumes everyone is talking about?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Jodan_King)
Post #: 32
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2011 7:20:56 PM   
sanchia

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2011/06/jl_cv1.jpg

I think these are the ones.

The Flash one looks like a sketch I own by Bryan Hitch which proposed a new costume.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 6/6/2011 8:57:03 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 33
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2011 9:17:42 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I've been reading about this 'reboot'. Interesting stuff. At best, I'm just a casual reader of DC (and Marvel) comics these days; I just pick up the occasional trade here and there. I enjoyed Geoff Johns' Green Lantern 'Rebirth' story and I'd like to check out 'Blackest Night' (is there a single trade that contains the whole story?) So, in terms of this 'Universe Reboot' does anyone know what the plan is with JONAH HEX, SGT. ROCK and LOBO? Their adventures are sorta 'outside' continuity. And what about BATMAN...?

Not sure yet, I'd expect an announcement over the next few weeks. I think Jonah Hex will simply continue on as is (but re-numbered).

I recently waded through all the Geoff Johns GL stuff from Rebirth onwards and frankly, I'd recommend reading up to the Sinestro Corps War and stopping around there. Blackest Night is pretty awful.  I would recommend checking out the first few Green Lantern Corps trades too as I thought they actually surpassed the GL comic and had some great art (by Dave Gibbons and others). The series is terrible now, unfortunately.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 34
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2011 9:42:27 PM   
gunstar

So Lee's new costume idea is...collars.

Expect leather jackets and oversized hardware to follow.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 35
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2011 9:46:46 PM   
furrybastard

New additions in bold. A lot of Bat-books announced with an announcement on Batman Inc. forthcoming. UPDATE: See the next post.
I've also included a few rumours below, but they're really just there for fun!  Snyder and Daniels swtich Bat-books, looks like I'll be giving up Detective and moving to the main title!

If there's any I've missed, feel free to let me know! 28 out of 52 announced so far:--

Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League #1
Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang on Wonder Woman #1
Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis on Aquaman #1
Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul on Flash #1
Ethan Van Sciver and Gail Simone (writers) and Yildiray Cinar (artist) on The Fury Of Firestorm #1
Tony Daniel and Philip Tan on Hawkman #1.
JT Krul and Dan Jurgens on Green Arrow #1
Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti on Justice League International #1.
Eric Wallace and Roger Robinson on Mister Terrific #1.
JT Krul and Freddie Williams II on Captain Atom #1.
DC Universe Presents
#1 (anthology) with Deadman story by Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang.
Geoff Johns and Doug Mahnke on Green Lantern #1
Peter J. Tomasi, Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna on Green Lantern Corps #1
Tony Bedard, Tyler Kirkham and Batt on Green Lantern: The New Guardians #1
Peter Milligan, Ed Benes and Rob Hunter on Red Lanterns #1
Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo on Batman #1
Tony Daniel on Detective Comics #1

Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason on Batman & Robin #1

David Finch on Batman: The Dark Knight #1
Kyle Higgins and Eddy Barrows on Nightwing #1 

JH Williams III on Batwoman #1
Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf and Vicente Cifuentes on Batgirl #1
Judd Winick and Ben Oliver on Batwing #1
Judd Winick and Guillem March on Catwoman #1
Duane Swierczynski and Jesus Saiz on Birds of Prey#1
Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort on Red Hood and the Outlaws #1
Jeff Lemire on Animal Man #1
Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth on Teen Titans #1

Rumours:  George Perez (writer/artist) on Superman  #1
            Scott Lobdell (writer) on Superboy #1                                
           Grant Morrison & Yanick Paquette on Swamp Thing #1 (!?, would be unexpected if true)                 
           Grant Morrison (writer) on Unknown Superman title/Action Comics #1                 
           Darwyn Cooke on Vigilante #1

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 6/6/2011 10:32:06 PM >

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 36
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2011 10:20:17 PM   
furrybastard

Batman Inc. #1 by Grant Morrison and Grant Burnham, scheduled for early 2012.

Info from DC's Source blog (Click):--

In the wake of our announcement of a historic line of new #1’s within the Batman family, many of you noticed that while several of the titles and characters spun out of the Batman, Inc. storyline, there was no mention of that series itself - but there’s a reason for that: Grant Morrison’s BATMAN, INCORPORATED series will return with a new issue #1 in early 2012. Grant Morrison had this to say about Batman, Incorporated:
“Batman, Incorporated will continue through to Issue #10 and August’s shocking season finale that changes the Batman status quo yet again. The series will take a brief hiatus while I work on a major new project to be announced shortly. Batman, Incorporated returns next year with me, Chris Burnham and Batman: Leviathan, the epic 12 part conclusion to my 6 year Batman saga. Don’t miss it!”

Post #: 37
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2011 10:24:32 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I'm guessing this refers to the rebooted version of Dick Grayson in his Nightwing costume but with a red bat on his chest....oh dear, oh dear.

Post #: 38
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2011 10:31:04 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I'm guessing this refers to the rebooted version of Dick Grayson in his Nightwing costume but with a red bat on his chest....oh dear, oh dear.

I don't think so; Nightwing is getting his own title (I just edited it in the above post). Batwing features the African Batman introduced in Batman Inc. (Click)

By the way, that's ELEVEN Batman related titles, twelve once Inc./Leviathan is included.  I'm also expecting a Robin series in there somewhere. Seems like Leviathan will be Morrison's last work on Batman, ending his six year run on the character.

And Jeff Lemire on Animal Man sounds pretty good to me!

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 6/6/2011 10:46:16 PM >

Post #: 39
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2011 11:13:24 PM   
Olaf

Jeff Lemire on Animal Man = amazing

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 40
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/6/2011 12:15:28 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Jeff Lemire on Animal Man = amazing

Not sure if that's as artist/writer or just writer; hopefully it is both.

One of the most noticeable trends with the relaunches is the amount of artists being given work as writers. JH Williams, Tony Daniel, David Finch, Francis Manapul, Ethan Van Sciver (co-writer) and possibly George Perez and Lemire too.  Perhaps DC is trying to differentiate from Marvel in this respect, coaxing well-known artists with the lure of having complete control over a title. The exclusivity wars (Marvel most definitely won the last round!) may be heating up again...

I'd love to see someone like Chris Weston get a title like Doom Patrol; I thought his The Twelve one-shot last year was fantastic fun. Comics can always do with more work from artists like Weston.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 41
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/6/2011 9:34:13 AM   
Rob

So Bab's returns as Batgirl then! Interesting to see how they go about it but for my mind Oracle is a much more interesting character and in many ways a lot stronger.

Not fussed about the additional Bat-titles such as Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwing et al but I quite like the Red Hood and Outlaws as a concept so will be picking that one up. After all the Batman related news surely we'll get more Superman details this week.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 42
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/6/2011 11:49:42 AM   
britesparc

Dick Grayson is my favourite fictional character in the entire world, so I'm definitely picking up Nightwing.  Not very keen on the costume, though, but then I've never liked any Nightwing costume 

Gail Simone on Batgirl is amazing, but I've always had a soft spot (in a decidedly non-pervy way) for Stephanie Brown, so I'm eager to see what's become of her.  One rumour is Tim Drake will be appearing in Red Robin & the Outsiders; in which case, stick Steph back in the Spoiler costume and put her on that team as Tim's second-in-command.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 43
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/6/2011 11:55:09 AM   
britesparc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jodan_King

The praise around Morrison's work on Batman is intriguing.  What is the title of the run, and is there a collated ed yet?

Morrison's been writing Batman for about four years, I think, and there's about 30-odd issues or so (guesstimate).  So no one collection. 

But so far there are (I think)...

Batman & Son
The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
Batman & Robin: Batman Vs Robin
Batman & Robin Must Die
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Time and the Batman
(Final Crisis crosses over but isn't essential)

...and then Batman Incorporated, which is six issues old and hasn't been collected yet.  I think that's everything, but it's all off the top of my head.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to Jodan_King)
Post #: 44
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/6/2011 7:03:37 PM   
furrybastard

Couple of supernatural titles announced, looks interesting enough.

36 out of 52...

Ethan Van Sciver and Gail Simone (writers) and Yildiray Cinar (artist) on The Fury Of Firestorm #1
DC Universe Presents
Jeff Lemire and Travel Foreman and Dan Greenon Animal Man #1
Peter Milligan and Mikel Janin on Justice League Dark #1
Paul Cornell, Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert on
Demon Knights #1
Jeff Lemire and Alberto Ponticelli on Frankenstein: Agent Of SHADE #1
Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning and Fernando Dagnino on Resurrection Man #1
Josh Fialkov and Andrea Sorrentino on I, Vampire #1
Ron Marz and Sami Basri on Voodoo #1
Scott Snyder, Yanick Paquette and Franceso Francavilla on Swamp Thing #1

Grant Morrison (writer) on Superman title
           Grant Morrison and Rags Morales on Action Comics #1      

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 7/6/2011 9:00:50 PM >

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 45
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/6/2011 7:30:13 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

Look on the bright side at least Liefield is no longer in vogue.

Pouches all around.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 46
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/6/2011 8:16:21 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

So Bab's returns as Batgirl then! Interesting to see how they go about it but for my mind Oracle is a much more interesting character and in many ways a lot stronger.

Yeah, it seems like a very retrograde step. As other people have pointed out, it's always been a bit bizarre considering she lives in a world where one of her closest friends could reverse his crippling... but I don't think going back to Batgirl is the way to do it. At the very least she should be Batwoman - she's not a teenager anymore!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 47
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/6/2011 8:27:02 PM   
furrybastard

That's a really good team!  I never really understood people giving out about Swamp Thing's return to the DCU; it's where he was at home the most (even with Moore in charge) and never really fitted into Vertigo in my opinion. Constantine, on the other hand...
I'd be interested in Ponticelli on Swampy as well, think his art would be a good fit and similar to the Bissette/Totleban style that the character's so well known for.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 48
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/6/2011 8:32:52 PM   
furrybastard

Oh and DC are cracking down on late books too (Click), which is nice to see. Though I'd suggest late comics have as much to do with editorial as with the creatives involved; Frank Quitely isn't going to magically become faster overnight so plan ahead. I think, in the past, DC have been too quick to announce/hype certain news, perhaps giving too much leeway to trigger-happy marketing people who want to have a constant stream of 'up next! up next!' instead of proper planning and preparation.  And from the looks of things below, they don't seem to have quite gotten the hang of it yet. They do realise it takes longer to draw these things than write, right?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"According to several people close to the situation, many of the new books have been underway for only a couple of months; that's a tight deadline for such a massive undertaking. And DC is taking no chances. In recent days a memo from co-publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee has gone out warning freelancers that three issues need to be ready by launch day, August 31st. Or else…
It is our goal to have three completed issues of each series in the can by August 31st, no exceptions. If that criterion cannot be met, we've instructed Editorial to begin work at that time on material that will be able to meet the deadlines for the series.

David Finch, this is your life.

Many would say that Lee himself, artist of the flagship JLA launch, is also a likely suspect for editorial remand, given his recent track record.

We're told that this sternly worded letter was not met with universal joy by artists, some of whom have only just gotten issue #1 scripts."

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 7/6/2011 8:34:40 PM >

Post #: 49
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 8/6/2011 10:33:44 AM   
Rob

Well it's good if they can actually enforce that.

I know Jim Lee gets an awful lot of flack for his All Star schedule and rightly so but he did produce 12 gorgeous issues of Hush without delay if memory serves. How was his Superman For Tomorrow schedule?

Art is one of the biggest driving factors for me on some books so I welcome this mandate BUT as Furry says people aren't going to get faster overnight! I think the more important factor is that if you want Benes / Finch / Quitely to do a solid 6 / 12 issue run then you need to plan well in advance and manage it accordingly.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 50
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 8/6/2011 12:24:37 PM   
Jodan_King

quote:

ORIGINAL: britesparc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jodan_King

Morrison's been writing Batman for about four years, I think, and there's about 30-odd issues or so (guesstimate).  So no one collection. 

But so far there are (I think)...

Batman & Son
The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
Batman & Robin: Batman Vs Robin
Batman & Robin Must Die
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Time and the Batman
(Final Crisis crosses over but isn't essential)

...and then Batman Incorporated, which is six issues old and hasn't been collected yet.  I think that's everything, but it's all off the top of my head.

Thanks - I think a few of them are availiable as collections now - any idea on the chronology at all? Would like to give them a read

"I'm storming your castle on my steed m'lady!"

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 51
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 8/6/2011 2:51:36 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

Look on the bright side at least Liefield is no longer in vogue.

Pouches all around.

You were saying?!?!?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/08/dc-relaunch-guessing-the-teen-titans-makeup/
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dcnu-teenage-heroes-superteams-110608.html

And Teen Titans sounds very er......different is probably the kindest word for it. Wonder what this means for Tim Drake's history.

< Message edited by Rob -- 8/6/2011 3:00:29 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 52
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 8/6/2011 3:30:34 PM   
furrybastard

41 out of 52...

DC Universe Presents
Paul Cornell, Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert on Demon Knights #1
John Rozum and Scott McDaniel on Static Shock #1
Sterlign Gates and Rob Liefeld on Hawk and Dove #1

Nathan Edmondson (writer) on Grifter #1
Fabian Nicieza and Pete Woods on Legion Lost #1
Paul Levitz and Francis Portela on
Legion of Superheroes #1

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 53
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 9/6/2011 4:55:00 PM   
furrybastard

Not sure if they're counting those Beyond books in the 52 titles, they may be imprints for kids so I've left them out for now.  Only the Superman titles left now (Action Comics, Superman, Supergirl and Superboy?) and we're done!

Some people are pointing to the creative teams announced and wondering how much ex-Marvel EIC Bob Harras had a hand in this.  The majority of the names here are just reshuffles and few of the new names (like Lobdell and Jurgens) are not exactly exciting.  DC really need to work harder on their talent pool.

48 out of 52... new additions in bold

Superheroes

Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti on Justice League International #1
Ethan Van Sciver & Gail Simone and Yildiray Cinary on The Fury Of Firestorm #1
Paul Jenkins, Bernard Chang & Various on DC Universe Presents #1 (anthology) feat. Deadman

Green Lantern

Batman Family

DCU Dark (Horror, Mature, Vertigo-type comics)

Paul Cornell, Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert on Demon Knights #1

DCU Teen

Fabian Nicieza and Pete Woods on Legion Lost #1
Paul Levitz and Francis Portela on Legion of Superheroes #1
John Rozum and Scott McDaniel on Static Shock #1
Sterlign Gates and Rob Liefeld on Hawk and Dove #1

The Edge (made up of genre/Wildstorm stuff, seemingly)

Nathan Edmondson, CAFU and BIT on Grifter #1
Paul Cornell and Miguel Sepulveda on Stormwatch #1
Ivan Brandon and Tom Derenick on Sgt Rock And The Men Of War #1
Dan Didio, Keith Giffen and Scott Koblish on OMAC #1
Kyle Higgins, Joe Bennet and Art Thibert on Deathstroke #1
Mike Costa and Ken Lashley on Blackhawk #1
Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti and Moritat on All Star Western #1 feat. Jonah Hex

Adam Glass and Marco Rudy on Suicide Squad #1
Tony Bedard, Ig Guara and Ruy Jose on Blue Beetle #1

------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam Beechan (Writer) and? on Batman Beyond #1
? and ? ... on JLA Beyond #1

Michael Green & Mike Johnson (writers) and Mahmud A. Asrar (artist)                       

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 9/6/2011 10:30:17 PM >

Post #: 54
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 9/6/2011 5:07:37 PM   
furrybastard

Leaked covers from Bleeding Cool of Superman #1 (by George Perez), Supergirl #1 and Superboy #1, featuring costume re-designs.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 9/6/2011 10:25:40 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 9/6/2011 7:35:16 PM   
sanchia

I am not liking that Superman suit although the Supergirl/woman one doesn't look too bad.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 56
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 9/6/2011 10:28:12 PM   
furrybastard

They all look kind of robotic, don't they?  I quite like the Supergirl design as well!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 57
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 11/6/2011 11:26:12 AM   
sanchia

The horror! The horror!

Look at the badly drawn feet and poorly rendered physiques. At least there are no pouches and he seems to have been working on his hands as they are only meh.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 58
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 12/6/2011 6:31:41 PM   
Vadersville

Is it just me or does the new Nightwing costume look suspicously like the Batman Beyond costume...that said it could be seen as just the Nightwing costume albeit tweaked, but with a red insignia...ala Chris O Donnell in Batman and Robin! Nooooooooooooooo!

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 12/6/2011 6:36:33 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 59
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 12/6/2011 6:37:34 PM   
Vadersville

Odd, for some reason the Nightwing image keeps disapeering....
Clicky
and
Clicky

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 12/6/2011 6:39:58 PM >

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI