Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DC Universe

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: DC Universe Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DC Universe - 4/4/2013 11:10:37 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I've always had trouble with Batman when it starts bringing in other titles in it's multi crossover events usually just to help sales of other titles.
But talking about hateing writers I can kinda understand where the earlier posts from Vadersville are coming from it took me ages to get over James Robinson killing of most of the JLE in a Starman storyline. (Obviously nowhere near as important but pissed me off to no end at the time.)

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 481
RE: DC Universe - 5/4/2013 4:54:34 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Sad to hear the news that the Artist behind my favorite character The Flash & one of the Fathers of The Silver Age Carmine Infantino has passed away.
R.I.P sir you were a true legend.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 482
RE: DC Universe - 6/4/2013 10:21:15 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Well seems after his bit of controversy Grant's quitting Batman Inc in July & with that DC's is ending the title there as well.

Post #: 483
RE: DC Universe - 6/4/2013 7:21:52 PM   
Vadersville

Quite surprised. Is he quitting DC or just Batman Inc?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 484
RE: DC Universe - 6/4/2013 7:30:20 PM   
sanchia

DC overall by the look of it. Although it appears on good terms.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 6/4/2013 7:32:58 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 485
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/4/2013 9:14:02 PM   
furrybastard

Morrison announced his intentions of ending his Batman run a long time ago. Not sure if I'd call it quitting or that the comic is being cancelled; his run has reached its natural conclusion and they're wrapping everything up.

DCs marketshare has fallen back to pre-New 52 levels with its March sales. What now?

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 486
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/4/2013 10:59:06 AM   
sanchia

Apparently he has a massive multiverse crossing storyline called Multiversity planned in the near future with DC. Hopefully better than the truly abysmal final crisis.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 7/4/2013 11:01:02 AM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 487
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 10/4/2013 2:57:02 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Hopefully a certain other Scarlet Speedster will turn up?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 488
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 17/4/2013 4:59:48 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Apparently he has a massive multiverse crossing storyline called Multiversity planned in the near future with DC. Hopefully better than the truly abysmal final crisis.

Not that I'll be reading it however good it turns out, but I don't like the sound of the idea.

One issue will be a superhero attempting to defeat a villian, then the next issue will be a hero from another universe reading that issue and using it to inform their attempt and so on.

I don't know, sounds... messy.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 489
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 17/4/2013 6:50:06 PM   
sanchia

It will either be genius or absolutely awful if he follows his usual pattern. I must admit at the moment I agree the latter sounds more likely.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 490
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 19/4/2013 10:19:43 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Just saw a link on Twitter for IGN.com showing the details of DC/Warners new Blu-ray for Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox good cast including Nathan Fillion as G.L & the extras look pretty impressive.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 491
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 22/4/2013 4:12:33 PM   
AxlReznor

Over the weekend, I read the early issues of Ed Brubaker's run on Catwoman, and came to the conclusion that it's time for DC to admit that their new version of the character is a failure and bring back the version that appeared in these comics. That version of the character was easily one of the best in comics, and it's sad to think that the current incarnation is something of an embarrassment.

Post #: 492
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 22/4/2013 5:50:38 PM   
sanchia

I think quite a few new versions of the characters have failed. The Justice League in particular is abysmal.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 493
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 22/4/2013 6:50:22 PM   
AxlReznor

When it comes to DC, I limit myself almost entirely to the Bat-books, because I don't find most of the other characters very interesting. But even amongst those, Catwoman certainly isn't alone. Birds Of Prey and Teen Titans are both pretty awful, too.
I think that Batman, Batman & Robin and Batgirl are fantastic, though. And the other Bat-books have their moments. Catwoman is the one I'm most personally offended by when it comes to how poor it is, though, because she's just behind Batman as my favourite comic character of all time (in large part due to Ed Brubaker's reimagining of her).

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 494
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 22/4/2013 7:04:32 PM   
sanchia

Batwoman has been quite good. Although quite a part of that is the quality artwork involved. It seems strange that the only books which really have stood up are the ones which almost carried on and were not restarted (Green Lantern etc,) whilst most of the reimagined characters are pretty awful.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 495
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 23/4/2013 11:39:04 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Even though I never thought I would I am quite enjoying the Earth 2 comic.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 496
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 6/6/2013 8:09:33 PM   
furrybastard

With news that James Robinson has quit Earth 2 over "creative differences", there came this rather... robust... explanation about DCs current editorial/creative issues from Paul Jenkins, writer (kind of) for The Dark Knight and a few other New 52 titles. It does not paint a pretty picture.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/05/the-bullying-of-creators-paul-jenkins-talks-about-leaving-dc-and-marvel-for-boom/

Some choice quotes...

quote:

My biggest concern with describing specific interactions between myself and a publisher – such as highlighting the editorial problems on Dark Knight – is that creators can look desperate or strident as they pull back the curtain on the misbehavior they are encountering. Editorial differences occur every day in the creative industries but rarely are they so profoundly driven by such egotistical arrogance on the part of the publisher. I have seen a few creators attempt to openly display their frustrations recently with DC, and I feel for them. Certain creators have tried to enlighten fans and media about the Machiavellian bullshit they are encountering, and I think those freelancers are a little freaked out that this is the new status quo. So I want to address this here.

quote:

The culprit, in my opinion, is the culture of the comic industry over the two and a half decades I have worked in it. When things are going poorly, the creators are most valuable. They are needed, so that they can pull the publishers arses out of the fire when creative bankruptcy sets in. When the business is doing well (and let’s face it, the Avengers just made 1.4 billion dollars) then the creators are disposable. Frankly, why on Earth would Disney have a care about a small industry like comics when their core product is the film and merchandising? They would naturally be most concerned with character maintenance.

quote:

I told DC to take my name off the book. It pained me that they did not do so, nor on #7. Issue #8 of that series was begun as a five-part story. It was then pared down to two issues by me when it became clear the relationship was not working. It was actually published as one issue. That’s what the fans paid for: my name, and a reworking of the issue done without my knowledge, where I was alerted to the fact only when the issue hit the stands. What a repulsive mess. Shame on the editors and shame on the publisher.

quote:

DC is in the toilet right now. It reminds me of the way Marvel was just before we did Marvel Knights.I’ll let you draw your own conclusions about the similarities and connections. Suffice it to say they have created a culture of dishonesty that affects too many creators. And the worst part of all is that they bully their creators. They tried to bully me, and I told them to go to Hell. The horror stories are many and varied. I have a few of my own, and I have heard way too many of them from various creators who are being beaten into submission with the threat of losing their jobs if they do not play ball. DC seem to have developed a culture where they think “professionalism” is screwing a creator in some fashion, and then pretending to be friendly at a convention. Professionalism is about handing in quality work on time, or about being friendly to fans at conventions, or about working towards a mutually beneficial goal. Professionalism is about dedication to your craft, not about running around the offices like a demented gerbil telling everyone how busy you are – so busy, in fact, that you forget to do any actual work. Here’s what pisses me off about this situation: it does not take a rocket scientist to see that there are a lot of very unhappy creators at DC lately. Well, can you imagine how many more are unhappy that we don’t know about because they feel if they speak out they will be blacklisted? Can you imagine the miserable conditions some of these creators are subjected to? (Disclaimer: not all creators, I am sure. Some are perfectly happy. Just not me.) The point is that DC has begun to act like a bully, to subject people to shitty working conditions as if it is doing them a favor.

He's a bit nicer about Marvel, saying that their current editorial mandate is simply something he's not particularly interested in but that they're still competent and professional, at least to a much greater extent than DC. This is hardly the first creator to leave DC, nor the first to burn their bridges but I think Jenkins definitely gives the most coherent and thoughtful reasoning for speaking out. Grant Morrison and James Robinson have also left, though much more quietly. Andy Diggle got through one issue of Action Comics before "deciding to quit", though I notice his name still appears on two succeeding issues (another point Jenkins make echoes one from John Rozum who resent having their name on work that is not theirs; work which may be harmful to their reputation and a hindrance to getting work from other publishers.)
There have also been rumblings from Gail Simone and, as of yesterday, JH Williams III about similar issues in recent weeks. DC's marketshare as of last month has fallen below what it was before The New 52 and they are being trounced by Marvel, with Image getting stronger and stronger and for their first time in an extremely long time, Image are threatening to be a third comics publisher with double digit marketshare.

Suffice to say, the whole thing is worth reading.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 6/6/2013 8:11:09 PM >

Post #: 497
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 8/6/2013 9:38:45 AM   
Wild about Wilder

WOW! Saucer of milk for Mr.Jenkins!
Don't see him being on DCs christnas card list this year.

Post #: 498
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 8/6/2013 8:10:18 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

WOW! Saucer of milk for Mr.Jenkins!
Don't see him being on DCs christnas card list this year.

It's a short, short list these days

Post #: 499
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 8/6/2013 8:13:34 PM   
sanchia

Who is left writing for DC nowadays? I have to admit the manner he mentions that some four part story lines get cut down to a single issue explains how some recent issues have been completely unintelligible.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 500
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 8/6/2013 8:52:46 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Who is left writing for DC nowadays? I have to admit the manner he mentions that some four part story lines get cut down to a single issue explains how some recent issues have been completely unintelligible.

Scott Snyder, Geoff Johns, Gail Simone, Jeff Lemire and Brian Azzarello. Those would be their big hitters now. Maybe Peter Tomasi, who is working on some Bat/Lantern titles. Grant Morrison, James Robinson and Andy Diggle have all left quietly but reading between the lines suggests they're not enthusiastic about coming back anytime soon. Bill Willingham is probably one of their most successful writers too with Fables but he's not really doing anything beyond that series for DC. I don't think he was overly impressed with how things went down with his friend Chris Roberson

There's Neil Gaiman and JH Williams III new Sandman series coming soon too (the latter individual has recently expressed similar frustrations with DC's micro-managing of Batwoman on Twitter).

DC's marketshare is also crashing month-by-month. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan Didio taking the Long Walk sometime soon.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 501
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 8/6/2013 9:39:13 PM   
sanchia

For some reason I always misread Dan Didio's last name.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 502
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 9/6/2013 10:42:34 AM   
Vadersville

I'll admit. i have no idea what is going on in-universe with DC anymore. And what's worse is I don't even care. Someone told me Catwoman is dead now the other day. I went, meh. That for me is the biggest indicator that they've majorly dropped the ball.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 503
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 9/6/2013 11:38:40 AM   
sanchia

Since the new 52 happened as far as I have read across various issues i really can't see a cohesive universe actually exists any more. It appears that there are clashes all over the place and they are all stand alone titles occurring in an approximation of the same universe and they only pay lip service when there is a cross over which essentially makes it pointless to even try to pretend it is all happening in the same world.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 504
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 13/6/2013 9:52:12 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Agreed only just finished one batch of crossovers then their onto the next one with Justice League, JLA & Justice League Dark!
Already get League & Dark BUT! I'm not also adding JLA.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 505
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 15/6/2013 12:07:56 PM   
BudBaxter

JLA is almost worth getting for Finch's art, but the storyline's so bitty & uninvolving. I'm sure Catwoman's 'death' will somehow turn out to be a bluff (despite seeing her get shot in the head at pointblank range). Her regular series still seems to be ongoing (& is still kinda pants)

Justice League will probably get dropped from my list after the next issue. The Shazam backup story is much better than the regular issue & I can't be arsed to add JLDark to my list for the next crossover.

Batman & Nightwing are the only DC titles that show any sort of consistency in quality these days. Batgirl's not bad, but really jumped the shark a couple of issues ago with Barbara's roommate's hilariously pointless relevation that she's transgender (!)

< Message edited by BudBaxter -- 15/6/2013 12:14:29 PM >

Post #: 506
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 15/6/2013 3:05:30 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

Justice League will probably get dropped from my list after the next issue. The Shazam backup story is much better than the regular issue & I can't be arsed to add JLDark to my list for the next crossover.

I am glad I am not the only person who thinks this. It is massively superior in all ways.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 15/6/2013 3:06:30 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 507
RE: Carrie Kelly? - 12/7/2013 8:18:26 PM   
Vadersville

Okay, so now the only DC comic I read is Snyder's Batman, I try to ignore the larger, notoriously inconsistent post Flashpoint DC Universe as best as I can. Of course that's easier said than done when stuff like Damian's death in Batman Inc having such an obvious effect on the title and as I previously posted someone told me that Catwoman had been killed off (although the continuation of her own title and the "and Catwoman" prefix to this months Batman and Robin title seems to indicate otherwise) but now I've been bombarded with posts from friends who also like comics telling me excitedly that Carrie Kelly is the new Robin. Carrie Kelly from The Dark Knight Returns.... Does this mean that the new DCnU includes Frank Millers alternate universe stories now? How does that work? More importantly perhaps, why do I expect it to make any coherent sense after DC's track record?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 508
RE: Carrie Kelly? - 22/7/2013 9:35:58 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Well now I suppose we can look forward to another load of Superman & Batman titles after "Zach" Snyder's Comic-Con announcement.
OH JOY!

Post #: 509
RE: Carrie Kelly? - 23/7/2013 2:55:33 PM   
britesparc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Okay, so now the only DC comic I read is Snyder's Batman, I try to ignore the larger, notoriously inconsistent post Flashpoint DC Universe as best as I can. Of course that's easier said than done when stuff like Damian's death in Batman Inc having such an obvious effect on the title and as I previously posted someone told me that Catwoman had been killed off (although the continuation of her own title and the "and Catwoman" prefix to this months Batman and Robin title seems to indicate otherwise) but now I've been bombarded with posts from friends who also like comics telling me excitedly that Carrie Kelly is the new Robin. Carrie Kelly from The Dark Knight Returns.... Does this mean that the new DCnU includes Frank Millers alternate universe stories now? How does that work? More importantly perhaps, why do I expect it to make any coherent sense after DC's track record?

Well at the moment, the only aspect of this that factors into Snyder's run is Damian's death. But regarding the other things:

It wasn't Catwoman, it was Martian Manhunter disguised as Catwoman. He (as she) was shot in the head but, being Martian, didn't really die.

Carrie Kelley has cropped up in the Batman and... books. But she's not the same little girl from Dark Knight Rises; she's about 20 or so, and was giving Damian acting lessons before he died. Although she was seen dressed as Robin at a fancy dress party, she's not Robin yet, if she ever will be.

There are two other girls - Harper Row, who's appeared in Snyder's run, and a girl called Ellie who's popped up in Morrison's run a few times - who are also rumoured to be candidates for the next Robin.

Hope that clears SOME things up! ;-)

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: DC Universe Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI