Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Deathstroke

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Deathstroke Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Deathstroke - 1/7/2012 9:09:50 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I've just pre-ordered it - 32 days to go, cannot wait!

Good stuff, look forward to hearing your thoughts! I just pre-ordered it too actually

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 421
RE: Deathstroke - 2/7/2012 9:48:37 AM   
Wild about Wilder

DAMN YOU YA GOT ME!
Though would say would say prefered others work on him.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 422
RE: Deathstroke - 2/7/2012 8:40:19 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

DAMN YOU YA GOT ME!
Though would say would say prefered others work on him.

Yeah Joe Kelly's run on the character pretty much defined the Deadpool character and gave him that sense of humour and wacky use of narrative techniques! I still remember that crazy issue where Deadpool goes back in time and they actually insert him into an old Stan Lee/Steve Ditko Amazing Spider-Man issue.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 2/7/2012 8:45:59 PM >

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 423
RE: JLA - 26/8/2012 9:39:51 PM   
Vadersville

CLICKY

This is so odd. I thought the reason they had dropped the "Of America" was because it was a bit dated and well overly propagandic. Then they cancel the Justice League International to do Justice League of America as a seperate title and team...
I think this is going to be a U.S. government sanctioned Justice League because in the Green Arrow issue they were trying to get him in the Justice League so they could keep a closer eye on the heroes since they don't trust them. When he failed they said they were gonna set up their own team... It could be an interesting idea, similar to the story in the cartoon series when the government turned against the League because they were worried about that much power going unchecked. (Is this why DC are controversially hooking up Supes and Wonders? So that the governmetn will have a heart attack at the threat of a super race forming from their offspring and taking over the world? ) But if this is an offically sanctioned League, then the choice of characters is so odd! Granted I'm very behind on JL but the last issue I read said that DCnU Martian Manhunter was a bad guy the Justice League had fought! And Catwoman... if this was pre reboot Catwoman who had been an older, more mature super heroine who had already been in a few crossover events and helped Batman form Batman INC I could understand, but since the DCnU reboot, Catwoman has been a 23 year old cat burgular of relatively small time crimes. Now this wouldnt be an issue if, as Winick first intended the title was set in DCnU's early years but since DC insisted on the title being part of the Night of Owls event, its now set in present day.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 26/8/2012 9:45:28 PM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 424
RE: JLA - 28/8/2012 10:08:57 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Anyone catch the twitter row going on between Snyder & Liefield at the weekend.
Quite possibly some of the best stuff Liefield's wrote for years?

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 425
RE: JLA - 28/8/2012 10:28:36 AM   
Rob

quote:

Anyone catch the twitter row going on between Snyder & Liefield at the weekend.
Quite possibly some of the best stuff Liefield's wrote for years?

Yeah I saw it. Quite amusing stuff. I'm not sure why it started and Snyder sent Liefield a private message asking what the initial comment was about and then it all seemed to kick off.

Batman is obviously one of the biggest books DC has but I think Synder and Capullo have honestly taken it to another level. I think the book right now is as good as I can remember it being.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 426
RE: JLA - 29/8/2012 12:21:48 AM   
furrybastard

I think Liefeld's point (ignoring the immaturity with which he chose to deliver it) is a fair one which is that Batman was, is and always will be one of the biggest selling books DC has. So it doesn't really matter who is writing and drawing it because it's the character that's popular, moreso than the talent involved.

That's not to say the talent aren't important or don't have an effect on sales but just that there's a die-hard group that'll buy Batman anyway and any effect will, for the most part, be relatively minimal. People obviously like the current direction and that's reflected in the charts but if that was creator-driven, then surely their other comics would also sell extremely well. American Vampire hasn't exactly increased in sales since Snyder's rise in superhero comics.

I've always had a sort of grudging admiration for people who burn their bridges so throughly and chaotically when quitting a job. I'm not a fan of Liefeld's art or writing by any means (though he's not too far off Jim Lee's art, if you ask me, and the fanboys love Lee) but this is hardly the first time he's been 'blacklisted' by Marvel or DC. He's pretty much got his nest egg sorted after his Image years so it's probably not that big a deal to him.

Also: the bigger picture. What the hell is going on with DC editorial!? Liefeld, Gail Simone, John Rozum, George Perez, Brian Wood, Chris Roberson, a hell of a lot of artists and even (allegedly) Grant Morrison are leaving titles and, in some cases, DC Comics altogether. Soon enough it'll be Geoff Johns and Scott Lobdell writing everything

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 427
RE: JLA - 31/8/2012 9:37:06 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Wonder if it has anything to do with WB who in my humble opinion have always been to hands on in the movie department (Nolan's Batman apart) they don't seem to let the people who know about the business get on with the job like Disney does with Marvel.

Post #: 428
RE: JLA - 31/8/2012 10:30:24 AM   
Rob

Apparently it's more to do with editorial interfering. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand the artists and writers are quite simply employees of DC and they are hired to do a job. There has to be someone at the top who makes the final decision as to how they want products and stories to come together and ultimately the "talent" has to be aware of that.

However,...

There seems to be a constant exodus from DC's books at the moment and many unhappy creators. The creators and artists are, by and large, experienced enough to know what they are getting into when they sign with DC and Marvel in terms of the level of control they will be allowed so it really begs the question what is going on over there?

Are DC changing the goal posts constantly? Are the reneging on agreements?

Whilst Liefeld's exodus isn't particularly of concern to me as I don't read any of the books he's working on I certainly hope that his and others departure isn't symptomatic of something more serious at DC.

Also with regard to Snyder / Capullo on Batman. Pre reboot it was selling around 50,000 it's now selling in excess of 100,000. Sure a lot of that is down to the relaunch but I think a massive amount of it is testament to the work that the team are doing.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 429
RE: JLA - 31/8/2012 10:15:32 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Apparently it's more to do with editorial interfering. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand the artists and writers are quite simply employees of DC and they are hired to do a job. There has to be someone at the top who makes the final decision as to how they want products and stories to come together and ultimately the "talent" has to be aware of that.

Most of the writers/artists on DC books are freelancers, not employees. They do their pitch for a series and the editor accepts or declines that pitch. They do have every right to ask for changes based on overall company policy but what a lot of people are talking about here is editors making last minute decisions or completely changing scripts without consultation and then letting the comic be released with that writers name on it, who obviously then has to deal with any fallout any of those changes may cause from readers/critics. John Rozum received a lot of flack for "his" issues of Static Shock to the point where he had to actually come out and say what was in those issues were about 1/3 him, 2/3rds the artist/editor messing about with his original script.

George Perez also had a lengthy enough explanation of this recently. They're essentially claiming that DC editorial is a shambles and DC Comics in general are now beholden to higher powers who are dictating what can and cannot happen.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 430
RE: JLA - 1/9/2012 9:57:16 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I think all WB/DC seems to really care about is Bat's, Superman & Justice League (or anything Johns is involved in at that particular time!) the rest meh!
Though saying that someone there must have some love for Hellblazer as old Con Job keeps on rolling towards the big 300! Who'd've thought it!

Post #: 431
RE: JLA - 1/9/2012 5:54:08 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

I think all WB/DC seems to really care about is Bat's, Superman & Justice League (or anything Johns is involved in at that particular time!) the rest meh!
Though saying that someone there must have some love for Hellblazer as old Con Job keeps on rolling towards the big 300! Who'd've thought it!

Animal Man and Swamp Thing are by far the best thing I've read off DC since the reboot.

Snyder's Batman would come trailing behind them but It's not even close for my money.

Haven't, and won't bother with Zzzuperman, I get my fill of him with the Justice League.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 432
RE: DC - 1/9/2012 7:14:00 PM   
sanchia

The first couple of issues of the reinvented Superman left me with high hopes but they were rapidly dashed.

Overall and a year on this has been the messiest reinvention I have seen. It is still difficult to actually tie the various stories into a cohesive world and the crossovers they have attempted really fail as some of the characters they try to cross over seem to be running on completely different worlds and do not mesh at all.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 433
RE: DC - 11/9/2012 6:43:21 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Is Justice League International worth a read even though it's been cancelled?

I've got access to all the issues if I want them but I'm not sure. I kinda knew where I was with Justice League (in so much as I'm familiar with all the characters, apart from Cyborg) so it was quite easy to dive into. With JLI I have no idea who anyone is apart from Batman and Guy Gardner so I'm not sure if it's worth the bother. Do the members of the JLI have a future in the New 52 d'ya think? If so I'll probably give them a read but I don't much fancy reading 12 issues and an annual featuring Booster Gold if there's no need .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 434
RE: DC - 11/9/2012 6:50:19 PM   
sanchia

Personally I am not a great fan. It is better than the dire Justice League but it is just lacking a great deal.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 435
RE: DC - 12/9/2012 4:02:49 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Is Justice League International worth a read even though it's been cancelled?

I've got access to all the issues if I want them but I'm not sure. I kinda knew where I was with Justice League (in so much as I'm familiar with all the characters, apart from Cyborg) so it was quite easy to dive into. With JLI I have no idea who anyone is apart from Batman and Guy Gardner so I'm not sure if it's worth the bother. Do the members of the JLI have a future in the New 52 d'ya think? If so I'll probably give them a read but I don't much fancy reading 12 issues and an annual featuring Booster Gold if there's no need .

The answer is no.

Post #: 436
RE: DC - 12/9/2012 8:58:41 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Heh, I won't bother then.

I did read the first issue and I thought it was crap. Being unfamiliar with the characters didn't help but yeah, screw it, I'll give it a miss.

What aboout Justice League Dark?

I fancy reading that from when Lemire took over at least, is it worth me going all the way back to the start?

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 12/9/2012 8:59:49 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 437
RE: DC - 13/9/2012 8:14:33 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Heh, I won't bother then.

I did read the first issue and I thought it was crap. Being unfamiliar with the characters didn't help but yeah, screw it, I'll give it a miss.

What aboout Justice League Dark?

I fancy reading that from when Lemire took over at least, is it worth me going all the way back to the start?

JL Dark was only ok. I did read the first two issues of Lemire's run and they were a marked improvement but again, it's not a series I'm willing to spend actual, hard-earned cash on. I think it'd work better in trades, especially if you like the characters involved. It's a bit like Defenders, a concept that Marvel has tried repeatedly to get right but it never quite clicks because it's just an assortment of somewhat-popular characters that you're just throwing together into a team.

Post #: 438
RE: DC - 14/9/2012 5:11:01 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Great now it looks like I've got to get Aquaman for a couple of issues in a crossover with Justice League as for the storyline well hmmmmmm I don't think I ever remember Marvels Atlantis Attacks Annuals

Post #: 439
RE: DC - 14/9/2012 11:18:25 PM   
BudBaxter

Ah, Aquaman's been quite fun so far since the reboot. A couple of dodgy issues, but overall, a decent read & the art's always been quite pretty.

Read The Flash & Superman Annual No.1s today. The Flash Annual was ok, but was just an extended issue & nothing special enough to be worth the $5 cover charge. It wasn't even a stand-alone story & just continues in issue 13... Bah.

Superman Annual 1 was absolutely appalling. Disjointed storytelling, mismatched art, & Superman now seems to have Johnny Depp's haircut from Dark Shadows. It actually made me think about dropping the title from my monthly list. Rubbish!

Post #: 440
RE: DC - 15/9/2012 9:46:15 AM   
Wild about Wilder

That's a bit of a bugbear with me about DC I pretty much stopped getting Annuals but it seems some of DCs are just like you said prolonging the storyline & making you fork out an extra $1-2 dollars on the cover price.
NOT COOL DC NOT COOL AT ALL!!!

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 441
RE: DCnU - 3/11/2012 8:14:40 PM   
Vadersville

The DCnU continuity continues to frustrate and annoy me. Just when I think I've calmed down, BANG! the bastards hit me with something else. Last month it was the fucked up new origin for Catwoman which was ripped straight from Burton's Batman Returns. Now, I've just read that in Batman Inc that Morrison has now shown Talia date-raping Bruce to conceive Damian. What-the-fuck?! He's already brain-washed what was once an interesting and layered character into a panto villian and now he's made her a rapist! Also, he's shown that Bruce was Batman when this horrendous act happened so that fucks up the current DCnU where Bruce has only been Bats for 5-6 years and Damian is 10 years old. DC, do you just sit at home all day long, thinking of ways to upset me?

Post #: 442
RE: DCnU - 4/11/2012 12:31:26 PM   
BudBaxter

Batman Inc. has always been kinda stupid. Morrison's template for it seems to be the Adam West tv show.

Post #: 443
RE: DCnU - 4/11/2012 12:43:07 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

Batman Inc. has always been kinda stupid. Morrison's template for it seems to be the Adam West tv show.

Yeah it pretty shite. I think Morrison lost the plot awhile ago and everything he produces now is just self indulgent, insane bollocks. Is Batman Inc actually part of the DCnU continuity, or does it exist as a seperate entity now? I ask because Snyder's Batman seems to what to distance itself as much as possible from it but then we still have Batwing...

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 444
RE: DCnU - 6/11/2012 11:17:36 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Yeah it pretty shite. I think Morrison lost the plot awhile ago and everything he produces now is just self indulgent, insane bollocks.

Hmm. Have you read his 80s DC work!??

I like Batman Inc. It's not great but I prefer it a bit to the regular Batman title, which is fast losing any interest for me. I might just be sick of dreary, gloomy Batman stories but Morrison's at least got a sense of humour about the whole thing

I've also given up on Swamp Thing (which I now realise only had one really impressive issue; #3) and Animal Man too. Wonder Woman is still decent though.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 6/11/2012 11:23:27 PM >

Post #: 445
RE: DCnU - 5/12/2012 9:05:36 PM   
furrybastard

http://comicsbeat.com/karen-berger-steps-down-at-vertigo/

How many more nails does this coffin need?

Berger is arguably one of the most successful editors in the history of comics, up there with Stan Lee. From Swamp Thing and Hellblazer to Sandman, 100 Bullets, Y:the Last Man, Preacher, Fables and so many more, she's spearheaded some of the most critically and commercially successful comics that DC has had in its 75+ year history and created the (initially) creator-friendly imprint that led to all of these works.

Post #: 446
RE: DCnU - 6/12/2012 9:20:53 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

http://comicsbeat.com/karen-berger-steps-down-at-vertigo/

How many more nails does this coffin need?

Berger is arguably one of the most successful editors in the history of comics, up there with Stan Lee. From Swamp Thing and Hellblazer to Sandman, 100 Bullets, Y:the Last Man, Preacher, Fables and so many more, she's spearheaded some of the most critically and commercially successful comics that DC has had in its 75+ year history and created the (initially) creator-friendly imprint that led to all of these works.

Damn.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 447
RE: DCnU - 6/12/2012 11:34:53 AM   
Wild about Wilder

And what with Hellblazer coming to an end at 300 it'll be the last of truly great titles that started Vertigo off ( WHEN DC HAD SOME BALLS!!! )

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 448
RE: F*ck you, Morrison! - 27/2/2013 8:09:57 PM   
Vadersville

Anyone else read what happens in Batman Inc #8? So pissed off. One more reason to hate Grant Morrison.

Post #: 449
RE: F*ck you, Morrison! - 27/2/2013 8:12:42 PM   
Harry Tuttle

***ALLUSIONS TO THE SPOILER AHEAD***

More pissed off with DC to be honest for not keeping it under wraps, I'd been warned not to go on their official website if I didn't want it spoiled but nobody told me it'd be on the homepage of the Guardian website. So pissed off.

Two words though.

Lazarus Pit.

I'm confused as to how this will play out anyway, Morrison's Batman Incorporated has seemed to be it's own beast from the start, totally unfettered by the constraints of the new 52.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 27/2/2013 8:18:47 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Deathstroke Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI