Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DC - Earth 2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: DC - Earth 2 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 13/6/2012 11:38:56 PM   
Vadersville

This is the new Batman Inc #1 of the new 52 I am talking about. What I can't understand is, whilst I get Morrison has his devoted followers who insist he can do no wrong even though he clearly is in great need of a doctor, how anyone can say the artwork was anything other than abysmal. Yet so many of the reviews are going on about it like its the best thing ever! The writing is dire too. Damian adopts a "Bat-Cow"! And Batman makes a joke when a guy is dropped headfirst to his death and his brains splatter all over their feet. The same Batman that's supposed to hate killing... The whole Leviathan thing seems utterly redundant now with Synder's excellent run on Batman. The Leviathan go on about how they will rule Gotham, a hitman goes on about how he knows Gotham inside out and Batman goes on about how Gotham is his city and he is the city. Blah, blah, blah. This has all already been done and better in Batman's Court of Owls. I also don't see how this fits into the new DCnU at all, seeing as Catwoman was an integral part to Batman Inc and she's been retconned or since Batwing states that he's presumed dead yet he's broadcasting his face worldwide in his own title and in JLI. A further sign that Morrison's best days are behind him and he needs to step down before he further loses the plot is when the Dynamic Duo fight the mutants from The Dark Knight Returns, written by Frank Miller, a once great comic legend, who also went bat-shit crazy and produced the equally shite All-star Batman.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 391
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 14/6/2012 6:26:11 AM   
furrybastard

BatCow is awesome. I hope he (she?) gets her own miniseries!

Chris Burnham is a fantastic artist as well. One of the very best that DC has at the moment.Admittedly heavily influenced by Quitely but becoming a great artist in his own right at the moment. The first issue of Batman Inc. was great fun, I don't really give a flying toss how it fits into continuity as long as it's fun and well-told, which is more than 99% of DC's output can do these days.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 392
RE: Go Home Morrison - 14/6/2012 9:16:29 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

BatCow is awesome. I hope he (she?) gets her own miniseries!

Chris Burnham is a fantastic artist as well. One of the very best that DC has at the moment.Admittedly heavily influenced by Quitely but becoming a great artist in his own right at the moment. The first issue of Batman Inc. was great fun, I don't really give a flying toss how it fits into continuity as long as it's fun and well-told, which is more than 99% of DC's output can do these days.

This is just fucking madness. He shouldn't even be drawing comics! I've seen better scribbles by a eight year old. His anatomy is all wrong. Each character is filled with loads of silly, pointless lines and squiggles that make them look 80. The facial expressions are all laughable. It's so bad. And I didn't even think the comic was fun. It was just dire. As I've said this whole idea about showing Batman he doesn't know Gotham as well as he thought has already been done in Snyder's run of Batman. Morrison started off writing great stories but he's out-stayed his welcome. Time for him to go home.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 393
RE: Go Home Morrison - 14/6/2012 7:37:50 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville
This is just fucking madness. He shouldn't even be drawing comics! I've seen better scribbles by a eight year old. His anatomy is all wrong. Each character is filled with loads of silly, pointless lines and squiggles that make them look 80. The facial expressions are all laughable. It's so bad. And I didn't even think the comic was fun. It was just dire. As I've said this whole idea about showing Batman he doesn't know Gotham as well as he thought has already been done in Snyder's run of Batman. Morrison started off writing great stories but he's out-stayed his welcome. Time for him to go home.

You're the first person I've come across who doesn't like Burnham's art. He's a fantastic designer and makes actions scenes incredibly dynamic and well thought-out.

If you want to go into specifics though, his anatomy is actually pretty good, not sure what you're getting at there Maybe you've been reading too much Catwoman

This is what bad anatomy looks like!

Post #: 394
RE: Go Home Morrison - 14/6/2012 7:53:17 PM   
Vadersville

No arguments on that Catwoman pic. That is horrendous! But I still can't see how that artwork is anything else but dreadful. Granted you haven't picked the worst pages but it's still pretty dire. The colouring doesn't do it any favours either!

Post #: 395
RE: Go Home Morrison - 14/6/2012 8:00:12 PM   
Vadersville

THIS is how a Batman comic should be drawn.

Post #: 396
RE: Go Home Morrison - 14/6/2012 8:37:07 PM   
directorscut

Go Home Morrison - sounds like a good comic.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 397
RE: Go Home Morrison - 14/6/2012 8:53:04 PM   
Darth Marenghi

It does actually.

As for this Burnham debate - I've never seen his work before but it looks fine to me (and very Quitely-esque) in those pages posted earlier. Vadersville, you sound like a crazy person.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 398
RE: Go Home Morrison - 15/6/2012 12:34:44 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

It does actually.

As for this Burnham debate - I've never seen his work before but it looks fine to me (and very Quitely-esque) in those pages posted earlier. Vadersville, you sound like a crazy person.

That's not a good thing!

Why is Batman's elongated leg bent at such an impossible angle? What happened to his neck? Why are his arms so short? Why does he look 90!? To be honest, you're right they do have similar art styles, I actually thought Burnham was Quitely until I googled it. They're both completely shit.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 399
RE: Go Home Morrison - 15/6/2012 7:16:40 AM   
sanchia

Quitely is one of two things, he is either a quality artist who puts some care and passion into his work (Batman the Scottish Connection, All Star Superman) or outright awful (Authority and most of his other work). At least he appears to have stopped giving all his characters the same bodies and almost the same faces although mutant chins still abound.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 400
RE: Go Home Morrison - 15/6/2012 8:48:00 PM   
furrybastard

Admittedly that's not one of Quitely's best covers! And hey, I'm a big Capullo fan on Batman too (and Gleason/Gray on B&R too!). They're different artists though, Capullo tends to go for cleaner lines and inks. Burnham has had a different colourist for the new Batman Inc. that smooths out some of his artwork; personally I prefer the 'squiggly lines' approach (I've always liked seeing how Quitely and now Burnham actually draw the folds and creases in clothes). It's just a taste thing. I would say it's good to have differing art styles. It's also interesting to note just how much influence an inker has on a penciller's style. DC seems to have four or five inkers for books like Green Lantern, it's nuts.

Here's a better Quitely cover

Capullo does seem to have inherited the Quitely Batman chin...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 401
RE: Go Home Morrison - 16/6/2012 9:47:06 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Nobody quite did chins like the now deceased Mike Wieringo (R.I.P) did over in The Flash though.

Post #: 402
RE: Go Home Morrison - 16/6/2012 11:27:26 AM   
sanchia

Compare these two and you can see which is the project with the passion attached to it and which was the mortgage payment.

He is no Leifield but at his worst Quietly is awful.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 16/6/2012 11:30:01 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 403
RE: Go Home Morrison - 17/6/2012 1:10:36 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Compare these two and you can see which is the project with the passion attached to it and which was the mortgage payment.

He is no Leifield but at his worst Quietly is awful.

Those two pics are about a decade apart though, right? Besides he was working with Mark Millar; that'd bring out the worst in anyone

And like any good artist, Quitely disowns everything from when he started out regardless! Mignola does the same thing even though I still think a lot of his early artwork for DC is fantastic.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 404
RE: Go Home Morrison - 17/6/2012 10:00:29 AM   
sanchia

Here is one from Batman:Scottish Connection which predates the Authority by a couple of years as can be seen one this is is drastically superior in terms of quality and style. It is not a case that he improved as time passed more that for a big old chunk of his career he just didn't care. At the same time as drawing The Authority he was finishing up The Invisibles and the two could not be more different in terms of quality. That is the about Quitely he is either decent or damned awful.

Anyway thread derailing over.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 405
Deathstroke - 19/6/2012 10:01:00 AM   
BudBaxter

Anybody else read Deathstroke?

The first 8 issues were superb fun with great art.

Now Rob Leifeld has completely ruined it. Terrible writing & cheapo art. Is he always this bad?

< Message edited by BudBaxter -- 19/6/2012 10:06:36 AM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 406
RE: Deathstroke - 19/6/2012 10:21:40 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Rob Liefield = BIG BOOBIES!!!

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 407
RE: Deathstroke - 28/6/2012 4:02:06 AM   
furrybastard

More fallout from the New 52, this time George Perez on working on Superman :: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/24/george-perez-talking-about-being-rewritten-at-dc-comics

quote:

Unfortunately when you are writing major characters, you sometimes have to make a lot of compromises and I was made certain promises, and unfortunately not through any fault of Dan DiDio, he was no longer the last word, lot of people making decisions, going against each other, contradicting, again in mid story. The people who love my Superman arc, I thank you. What you read, I donít know. After I wrote itÖ I told them hereís my script, if you change it, thatís your prerogative, donít tell me. Donít ask me to edit it, donít ask me to correct it, I donít want to change something that youíre going to change again if you disagree. No no, Superman is a big character, I was flattered by the responsibility, but I thought this was getting a little tough.

I didnít mind the changes in Superman, I just wish it was the same decision issue 1 or issue 2, and I had to kept rewriting things because another person changed their mind, and that was a lot tougher, it wasnt the same as doing Wonder WOman, I was given a full year to get Wonder Woman established before enfolded into the DC Universe properly, I had a wonderful editor Karen Berger who ran shotgun for me. Iíve known Keith [Giffen] since we both started in the industry, he called me up when they asked him to do Superman to make sure I wasnít being fired off Superman. And regrettable I did have to tell him I canít wait to get off Superman. It was not the experience I wanted it to be.

I had no idea Grant Morrison was going to be working on another Superman title, I had no idea I was doing it five years ahead, which means, my story I couldnít do certain things without knowing what he did, and Grant wasnít telling everybody, so I was kind of stuck,who exists, DC couldnít give me answers. Oh my gosh, youíre deciding all these things and you mean even you donít know whatís going on in your booksÖ so I became very frustratedÖ

----------
Oh and just to return to the Alan Scott thing for a second...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

My problem is I'd rather itwasn't a person with such a different back story & has been long established as a family man, would've much prefered someone like Connor Hawke or even "Tim Drake" as then being already a younger character would give young gay people something to relate to rather than someone who before hand had always been perceved to be one of the elder statesmen of the DC Universe.

Heard an interview with James Robinson - writer of Earth 2 - last week and he explained his reasoning. He explained that DC had wanted all these characters to be younger and therefore they'd be de-ageing Alan Scott to a period before he'd have had kids so they wouldn't exist anyway. And as they were losing Obsidion and the daughter, he felt it would be interesting to make Scott a gay character, thus essentially 'replacing' Obsidian in that regard.
He also said he was thinking about ways of introducing those two characters.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 28/6/2012 4:07:52 AM >

Post #: 408
RE: Deathstroke - 28/6/2012 7:07:05 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

Anybody else read Deathstroke?

The first 8 issues were superb fun with great art.

Now Rob Leifeld has completely ruined it. Terrible writing & cheapo art. Is he always this bad?

Leifield must have some serious stuff on some high up comic editors to keep getting work. Hawk and Dove are out so they give him Deathstroke.

It is frightening that he was one of the most successful comic artists of the late 80's early 90's.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 409
RE: Deathstroke - 28/6/2012 3:20:36 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Heh, here's an article titled "40 More of the worst Rob Liefeld drawings". Obviously the original "40 Worst Rob Liefeld drawings" article wasn't enough.

Clicky

Also a link to a new Cracked article published today (where I got the above link from) which was pretty much inspired by Liefeld.

CLICK ME

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 28/6/2012 3:22:01 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 410
RE: Deathstroke - 28/6/2012 6:27:24 PM   
furrybastard

Say what you want about Liefeld's art but he's at least got a good eye for talent. The teams he picked for his Extreme relaunch at Image are all absolutely stellar. He's also a decent concept man, having created Deadpool, arguably the ONLY new Big Two creation of the last twenty years or more that's actually succeeded as a character.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 28/6/2012 6:28:28 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 411
RE: Deathstroke - 28/6/2012 8:45:10 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Also a link to a new Cracked article published today (where I got the above link from) which was pretty much inspired by Liefeld.

CLICK ME

I get the impression the bloke that wrote that had never read Nextwave with regards to 2# Nice Pants in that the Fin Fang Foom thing was a big joke in the first place.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 412
RE: Deathstroke - 29/6/2012 8:37:54 PM   
benmharper

Tony Daniel is leaving Detective comics

http://batman-news.com/2012/06/29/tony-daniel-leaves-detective-comics/

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 413
RE: Deathstroke - 30/6/2012 9:15:16 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I always think it's because Liefeld lucked into being 1 of the starters at Image on the backs of others.
That or his 1 fluke creation "CABLE!" BUT! as they say lightning doesn't strike twice, which in Rob's case seems to be true.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 30/6/2012 9:20:21 AM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 414
RE: Deathstroke - 30/6/2012 9:17:38 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Maybe he'll go the whole hog & make Obsidian his lover...................

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 30/6/2012 9:18:09 AM >

Post #: 415
RE: Deathstroke - 30/6/2012 6:37:55 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

I always think it's because Liefeld lucked into being 1 of the starters at Image on the backs of others.
That or his 1 fluke creation "CABLE!" BUT! as they say lightning doesn't strike twice, which in Rob's case seems to be true.

*cough* Deadpool *cough*

Post #: 416
RE: Deathstroke - 30/6/2012 6:51:24 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Say what you want about Liefeld's art but he's at least got a good eye for talent. The teams he picked for his Extreme relaunch at Image are all absolutely stellar. He's also a decent concept man, having created Deadpool, arguably the ONLY new Big Two creation of the last twenty years or more that's actually succeeded as a character.

The artwork above look's absolutely beautiful! Could you tell me the name of the comic furry, so I can give it a look? Cheers mate!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 417
RE: Deathstroke - 30/6/2012 9:48:25 PM   
furrybastard

The first comic is Prophet by Brandon Graham and a couple of different artists (including Graham himself in the latest issue!) It's a pretty mad sci-fi comic, definitely one of the strangest/coolest things out there at the moment. The first trade is out in a few weeks (CLICK)

The second is the cover for a comic called Glory. Both Prophet and Glory are published by Image and are relaunches of old Rob Liefeld series but with new creators doing a complete overhaul of them. I'm still in two minds about Glory (sometimes it's really good, othertimes a bit slow) but Prophet is amazing!

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 418
RE: Deathstroke - 30/6/2012 10:04:01 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

The first comic is Prophet by Brandon Graham and a couple of different artists (including Graham himself in the latest issue!) It's a pretty mad sci-fi comic, definitely one of the strangest/coolest things out there at the moment. The first trade is out in a few weeks (CLICK)

The second is the cover for a comic called Glory. Both Prophet and Glory are published by Image and are relaunches of old Rob Liefeld series but with new creators doing a complete overhaul of them. I'm still in two minds about Glory (sometimes it's really good, othertimes a bit slow) but Prophet is amazing!

Awesome! Thanks for the info mate - i'm a sucker for sci-fi comics and this (Prophet) look's brilliant , something I would gladly purchase no questions asked! I'll be sure to check it out when the trade comes out! Cheers!

Post #: 419
RE: Deathstroke - 30/6/2012 10:11:35 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I've just pre-ordered it - 32 days to go, cannot wait!

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: DC - Earth 2 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI