Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DC - Earth 2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: DC - Earth 2 Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 15/5/2012 3:35:30 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Well it finaly happened yesterday when I went to get my comics was shocked at the price "THANK YOU MARVEL FOR SHIPPING DOUBLE ISSUES THIS MONTH, OH & YOU TO DC WITH YOUR CROSSOVERS!", so I immediatley cut X-Men, Ultimates & X-Force & will be chopping some more next time aswell.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 15/5/2012 3:36:55 PM >

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 361
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 1/6/2012 9:24:20 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Unb"FUCKING"leavable! Just found out that original G.L Alan Scott is being turned into a Homosexual character!!! by James Robinson.
Nothing against Gay characters BUT! come on Scott 1 of the only characters who has for years been married twice has children & now Robinson decides NO! I'll change 70+ years of History & turn him Gay.
It's not like he's taken libertys before when doing Starman killing of half the J.L.E including long established characters.
Smacks of desperation on his & DCs part.

Post #: 362
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 1/6/2012 9:50:02 AM   
sanchia

It seems very strange for Robinson to do that as if there is one writer who seems to have great respect for the historic DC (see Starman, The Golden Age etc. and various interviews) it is him. Whilst he has killed off long established characters before he has always treated the characters with a degree of respect. In person I understand he is a bit of a (how can I put this politely) dick but I get the impression this is something which may have been "suggested" to him as the route he was to take for this character.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 1/6/2012 9:51:02 AM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 363
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 1/6/2012 10:08:30 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Is it a DC reaction to this do you think?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 364
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 1/6/2012 10:17:03 AM   
Rob

Pretty much!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 365
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 1/6/2012 1:58:46 PM   
sharkboy

Personally, I'm not that bothered by it.  It's Earth-2 after all, the home of the retconned golden-age heroes.  Robinson has already more than proved with Starman and his work on JSA etc. that he has a lot of respect for the golden-age DC characters and I've every confidence that his work on Earth 2 will be equally respectful to their legacy

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 366
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 1/6/2012 3:27:55 PM   
directorscut

Dear Lord, when did X-Men become a Japanese yaoi comic?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 367
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 1/6/2012 7:44:25 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Is it a DC reaction to this do you think?

Seems more likely a coincidence, as these things are planned well in advance. The US President coming out in support of gay marriage was a nice turn of event for them too!
Also: most comic blogs have traced it back to a Con where a fan asked Dan Didio why DC were willing to change so much with the New 52 (race, gender etc.) but not sexuality.

Wild about Wilder - I have no problem with it. Technically Robinson isn't "messing with 70+ years of history" because this is the New 52 AND the New 52 Earth 2. And I think it's important to get more diversity in mainstream superhero comics, even if it is done in a cynical way.

When I look at both Marvel and DC's steps in recent week on this issue, I'm reminded of when Grant Morrison offhandedly suggested the X-Men's Beast might be gay and there was a huge backlash and Marvel backed down and retconned everything. DC/Marvel seem more than happy to do this kind of thing in exchange for widespread press but when it's done organically within the story, it's a different matter.

Also: this is nothing new. Yet another sign that DC is still attempting to rip off everything about The Authority (a series they actively tried to kill over a decade ago) for their New 52 universe.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 1/6/2012 7:47:53 PM >

Post #: 368
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 2/6/2012 10:22:06 AM   
Wild about Wilder

My problem is I'd rather itwasn't a person with such a different back story & has been long established as a family man, would've much prefered someone like Connor Hawke or even "Tim Drake" as then being already a younger character would give young gay people something to relate to rather than someone who before hand had always been perceved to be one of the elder statesmen of the DC Universe.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 369
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 2/6/2012 6:12:27 PM   
furrybastard

But his back story doesn't matter anymore because it's the New 52. If they're willing to change Wonder Woman's entire origin and reason for being then I think the Alan Scott change is relatively less drastic.

I think there's already a gay character in Teen Titans as well s presumably they've got the 'young gay' readership demographic all sorted (all ten of them!)

Post #: 370
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 6/6/2012 1:31:01 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Well I read that due to this change Obsidian & Jade no longer exist in the DC Universe.

Post #: 371
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 7/6/2012 1:40:27 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Well I read that due to this change Obsidian & Jade no longer exist in the DC Universe.

No idea who they are! I'm sure if they're popular characters DC will find some way of re-introducing them to the continuity though.

Post #: 372
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 7/6/2012 7:42:36 AM   
sanchia

quote:

I wonder how they will handle the fact that Jade was a pretty significant part of Kyle Rayner's backstory and the Green Lantern stories are essentially continuing on with no real alteration?

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 373
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 7/6/2012 10:06:18 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Well that's DC for you & in answer to Furry they are he's grown up super hero children & as sanchia pointed out Jade is an integral part of the Green Lantern Universe, also his son Obsidian just so happened to be gay.
Knowing Robinson & DC wouldn't surprise me if he turned up as Scotts lover.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 7/6/2012 10:08:04 AM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 374
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 7/6/2012 11:52:20 PM   
furrybastard

Meh. I've read GL since Johns took over and never heard of 'em (or I've forgotten them). I don't think Alan Scott is a particularly important character anymore, other than to continuity fiends maybe.

They should have taken Morrison's assertion from that Playboy interview a few months ago and made Batman gay. I mean, if I had to guess which superhero was gay, it'd be Batman.

Post #: 375
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 8/6/2012 9:58:58 AM   
Wild about Wilder

For me it was always Superman.

Post #: 376
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 8/6/2012 10:19:40 AM   
Rob

Having read a bit more about it it does seem that it was planned a while ago and it was just coincidence that it occurred around the same time as the Northstar wedding.

I'm all for diversity but it seems like a strange choice. It's also a relatively safe choice of character as well. DC can say "we were bold enough to make an iconic character gay" but really, and with the greatest respect to fans of Alan Scott, he is nowhere near the top echelon of DC characters. Would they do it with Batman, WW, Robin, Superman, Flash, or Hal Jordan...never!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 377
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 8/6/2012 10:38:14 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Meh. I've read GL since Johns took over and never heard of 'em (or I've forgotten them). I don't think Alan Scott is a particularly important character anymore, other than to continuity fiends maybe.

They should have taken Morrison's assertion from that Playboy interview a few months ago and made Batman gay. I mean, if I had to guess which superhero was gay, it'd be Batman.

It's the old Apollo and Midnighter thing.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 378
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 8/6/2012 7:24:54 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

For me it was always Superman.

Well Superman is a whole other species so lets not get into that!

Lois Lane: Pervert.

Post #: 379
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 12/6/2012 9:18:18 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Interesting to see that DC are shipping a whole month of issue Os for their new 52 line up in September as long as that's instead of the normal run for that month then I'm fine with it if not. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Post #: 380
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 12/6/2012 7:34:55 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

Interesting to see that DC are shipping a whole month of issue Os for their new 52 line up in September as long as that's instead of the normal run for that month then I'm fine with it if not. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

It's instead of the normal-running numbers. So #13s will be out in October.

Not to to be overly cynical but it probably would have been a good idea to do these origin stories for the #1s last year instead since they had all the marketing and were trying to attract 'new readers'.

Also four titles have been cancelled: Captain Atom, Voodoo, Resurrection Man and Justice League International. They'll be repleaced by four new titles, none of which seemed particularly interesting. Including a new Batman title (Talon, who sounds suspiciously like he has the exact same backstory as Azrael).

DC's New 52 is now composed of exactly 25% of Batman titles, believe it or not.

Post #: 381
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 12/6/2012 7:48:03 PM   
sanchia

A shame about Resurrection Man as it was significantly better than some of the other titles which are still going (Justice League being one and to a degree Action Comic which is pretty dire after a decent start).

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 382
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 12/6/2012 10:12:13 PM   
furrybastard

I thought the last two issues of Action Comics have been an improvement. Morrison seems to be getting a handle on things again.

I presume trade sales might have had a big bearing on the decision to cancel certain titles. JLI - which was crap, admittedly - at least had a strong enough concept that it could be saved with a better creative team in charge (may I suggest Peter Milligan and Mike Allred?!). Captain Atom and Voodoo both sold terribly, but I think JLI and Resurrection Man both sold better than Blue Beetle and Grifter.

I wonder how many more Batman titles we'll have this time next year? I'm still holding out for that Alfred ongoing

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 383
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 13/6/2012 9:48:16 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Yeah in all seriousness Batman's getting a little bit worrying now with Morrisons Batman Inc making it regular monthly 5 titles, which I think is probably 2 to many?

Post #: 384
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 13/6/2012 2:58:43 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I've just borrowed the first issue of Dial H off my nephew (a huge DC fan, pretty much all his pocket money goes on DC comics, mainly Batman and the endless spinoffs) and I'm intrigued to see China Mieville's name on the cover.

Anyone been reading and if so what's the standard like? If it's any good I may subscribe. I only tend to buy TPB's so it'd be nice to have something to look forward to each month (although having read the first 2 issues of each I'm likely to start buying Image Comics' Saga and/or Valiant Comics' X-O Manowar).

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 385
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 13/6/2012 6:29:10 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

I've just borrowed the first issue of Dial H off my nephew (a huge DC fan, pretty much all his pocket money goes on DC comics, mainly Batman and the endless spinoffs) and I'm intrigued to see China Mieville's name on the cover.

Anyone been reading and if so what's the standard like? If it's any good I may subscribe. I only tend to buy TPB's so it'd be nice to have something to look forward to each month (although having read the first 2 issues of each I'm likely to start buying Image Comics' Saga and/or Valiant Comics' X-O Manowar).

I've read the first two issues of Dial H. It's ok but I think you'd be safe to wait for the trade. I wasn't a huge fan of the first issue but the second was better and it's a pretty cool idea. Just not all that great.

Saga, on the other hand, is one of the best new comics being published today. I just assumed everyone was reading it I think its first issue outsold a hell of a lot of Marvel and DC's output, which is a pretty amazing achievement.

Post #: 386
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 13/6/2012 6:41:15 PM   
sanchia

With Dial H I get the impression that most of the imagination went into the creation of the various off the wall Heroes whilst the rest whilst ok is not particularly different from the sort of stuff many other writers were producing in the mid ninties.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 387
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 13/6/2012 7:30:16 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

I've read the first two issues of Dial H. It's ok but I think you'd be safe to wait for the trade. I wasn't a huge fan of the first issue but the second was better and it's a pretty cool idea. Just not all that great.

Saga, on the other hand, is one of the best new comics being published today. I just assumed everyone was reading it I think its first issue outsold a hell of a lot of Marvel and DC's output, which is a pretty amazing achievement.

Ah OK, I'll probs go down the trade route then. If I'm going to be buying anything monthly I want it to be worth the wait each issue. I'm having a hard time delving into DC's new continuity, I really don't know what to commit to outside Batman. Everything seems to be getting cancelled. I might give Swamp Thing a go, that seems to be getting good reviews so it should be safe

Saga it is then, I've really enjoyed the first 2 issues, it's an amazing piece of work. I'll probs grab a few issues of X-O Manowar as well just to see how that pans out after a really interesting opening.

Anyone read Trio? It's been recommended to me as an unashamed Fantastic Four rip off but coming from the man that pretty much made The Fantastic Four so popular in the first place you expect a certain level of quality.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 13/6/2012 7:39:32 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 388
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 13/6/2012 8:05:16 PM   
Vadersville

Just finished reading Batman Inc #1. Worst comic I have read in a long time. Bat-Cow? No. Just no.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 389
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 13/6/2012 8:32:26 PM   
directorscut

I quite liked the issues I read - especially #4.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: DC - Earth 2 Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI