Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU - 24/4/2012 4:52:07 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I found out last night that my nephew has got pretty much all of the New 52 issues for the Bat family as well as a few of the Justice League family as well (The Flash, Aquaman and Green Arrow) so I'm going to be paying my favourite nephew a visit tonight and stealing his comics .

I have to say I'm not really looking forward to it at all, it's more out of a morbid curiosity I'll be checking them out.

Oh and reading up on The New 52 reboot how come Green Lantern wasn't affected? (according to Wiki)

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 331
RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU - 24/4/2012 5:04:30 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle
Oh and reading up on The New 52 reboot how come Green Lantern wasn't affected? (according to Wiki)

DC Answer: they felt it was suffiently "rebooted" a couple of years ago by Johns with GL: Rebirth.

Actual Answer: it was selling. As were the Batman titles. Everything else had terrible sales and so DC had to do something to prove to Warner Bros executives that they were even worth keeping around

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 332
RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU - 25/4/2012 12:55:59 PM   
Wild about Wilder

To the 1st part they make themselves look like idiots cos If that's so begs the question why Flash then?
I think DCs in trouble of shooting themselves in the foot with oversaturating the market what with more titles, mini-series & crossovers on the way.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 25/4/2012 12:59:31 PM >

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 333
RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU - 25/4/2012 1:25:40 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

To the 1st part they make themselves look like idiots cos If that's so begs the question why Flash then?
I think DCs in trouble of shooting themselves in the foot with oversaturating the market what with more titles, mini-series & crossovers on the way.

They still only publish about 70% of what Marvel do in fairness. How many Avengers titles are there now?! And Marvel are double-shipping a lot of those titles these days too to increase marketshare. Must be tough on peoples pockets

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 334
RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU - 26/4/2012 3:44:27 PM   
Wild about Wilder

True, True. BUT I've always been more Marvel than DC & just couldn't turn down The Avengers vs X-Men mini.
Also when 52 all settles down wonder how many more Batman, Superman, Lantern & Justice League titles are they gonna produce to cover the others?

Post #: 335
RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU - 26/4/2012 4:49:01 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Y'see I've always been more into the Marvel stable of Superheroes than DC's (Batman aside) but having read a load of Batman comics recently (cheers again sharky) I've been interested in delving into DC's back catalogue (Green Lantern, Flash and Green Arrow especially). I dunno if it's worth bothering now that the pre New 52 stories are non canonical (assuming that this is the case).

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 336
RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU - 26/4/2012 5:28:24 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Y'see I've always been more into the Marvel stable of Superheroes than DC's (Batman aside) but having read a load of Batman comics recently (cheers again sharky) I've been interested in delving into DC's back catalogue (Green Lantern, Flash and Green Arrow especially). I dunno if it's worth bothering now that the pre New 52 stories are non canonical (assuming that this is the case).

Good stories are good stories, regardless of if they're canon.

For Green Lantern, start with Geoff Johns' reboot. Book 1 is Rebirth. The first few are decent enough but things get bumpy after the Sinestro Wars (GL Corps is also quite good at the beginning!)

Not too familiar with Flash or GA. Green Arrow: Year One was cool from what I recall and apparently the current New 52 Flash comic is good.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 27/4/2012 7:06:41 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 337
RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU - 27/4/2012 5:03:07 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Trouble with the Flash comics (My all time favorite character) is you had 3 different Flashes in the last few years Wally West, Bart Allen & now Barry Allen (Bart's Grandad?) but before that if you look back at some of Mark Waid's run on Wally's Flash or I read in a Flash letter column that they're looking at bringing out the classic Trial Of The Flash (Barry Allen) in a (Black & White) Showcase collection. As for Green Arrow used to love this but had same problem as Aquaman & Hawkman kept getting cancelled then started again, BUT if you can find the start of his 1st run under Mike Grell a suggested for mature readers banner it's well worth a look & I'd say up there at the time with Shade The Changing Man & Starman.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 27/4/2012 5:07:11 PM >

Post #: 338
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 3/5/2012 9:05:48 AM   
Xanxiani

I see all the New 52 #1 are now 69p on Comixology. Good opportunity to pick up the ones I missed but can't help thinking of 'The first hit is for free'...

"But there's no sense crying
Over every mistake.
You just keep on trying
Till you run out of cake."

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 339
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 3/5/2012 3:33:24 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Probably has something to do with the fact that Dc are releasing all the opening storylines in Graphic Novel forms.

(in reply to Xanxiani)
Post #: 340
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 7/5/2012 8:06:47 PM   
Vadersville

Probably should have had a moan about this in here rather than the Last Comic Bought You Bought thread. I just read Detective Comics #9 the other day and besides the fact that its a pile of old man's balls. Tony S Daniel has spoke out saying that all his pre-launch Grayson Batman stuff has been wiped out of continuity with the New 52. This is crappy as it is since I really enjoyed Life After Death but here he confuses the issue evern more by referencing some previous events. There's a mention that Roman was presumed dead two years ago, although given Catwoman's own reboot we have to assume it wasn't her who killed him anymore. She's only 23 and has been around for just a few months. It's also mentioned that Jeremiah took over as Black Mask in Roman's absence but clearly he was never unmasked by Grayson's Batman and never apprehended as he's still running the asylum. This is a complete balls up anyway as Jeremiah's already been seen as an Arkham inmate in Batman#1 and his name has been seen on a list of Arkham inmates later in the series. Who is in charge of continuity in DC?! The left hand clearly doesn't know what the right is doing! Then Daniel really goes strange by changing the history of the actual Black Mask, it was never burned to Roman's face and Jeremiah actually used the exact same mask which is now haunted by the mystical soul of Roman's father and has the power of mind control. WHAT-THE-HELL?! Now I know a lot of people didn't take to Black Mask 2 so they should be happy that Roman is BM again, but surely not after this. Having Black Mask have mystical, supernatural powers just takes away from the original premise of the character: A mobster who realises that the freaks are running Gotham's underworld and pretends to be one to compete.

Also Harvey Dent aka Two Face (or One-Face (why not just Face?) in Batman The Dark Knight) is planning to become DA again...

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 341
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 8/5/2012 10:12:51 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I think this is what everyone was afraid of with new creative teams taking over nearly some of the comics after the 1st storylines. I'm behind on all my comics at the moment so am definetly worried about the confussion that's gonna happen not just in DC but Marvel aswell with their .1 storys.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 8/5/2012 10:14:43 AM >

Post #: 342
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 8/5/2012 3:35:33 PM   
Vadersville

Has anyone else Read Earth 2 Issue 1? I really liked it but the set-up for World's Finest starring Power Girl and Huntress was so blatant. I read that too and I have to say its everything i hate about the new reboot. Over-complicated changes to existing continuity, cross-title story that means you have to buy sevral comics just to know whats going on and a really rushed feel to the whole comic. I hate that they're now trying to make out that Huntress has been Bruce Wayne's daughter from a parallel universe all along and making her BFFs with Power Girl is just barmy.

Post #: 343
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 9/5/2012 10:47:47 AM   
Wild about Wilder

That's how I first remember them in the old days when JLA Earth-1 & JSA Earth-2 used to do a yearly team-up, with Grayson as an adult Robin.

Post #: 344
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 9/5/2012 6:51:18 PM   
sanchia

What is the awful Superman is the President thing which is going on?

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 345
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 10/5/2012 10:45:03 AM   
Rob

My big issue with DC has always been running ongoing stories on multiple Earths. I just don't like the concept of the multiverse.

On a side note I haven't picked up a proper comic in about three months. I've bought Batman digitally but have given up on most of the others. I'm not sure if it's because a) I can't be arsed to go to Forbidden Planet b) the stories haven't been gripping me or a combination of both.

I think I might start doing a mail order service and just pick three of four titles that I really want.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 346
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 10/5/2012 12:13:07 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Yeah I think they got away with it in the past as there were fewer titles & it was mainly just the JSA & their offshoot Infinity Inc? (sorry not to sure if the last bit of the 2nd 1s right as never actually bought a copy)

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 347
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 10/5/2012 2:41:24 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

What is the awful Superman is the President thing which is going on?

It was actually pretty cool Personally I think it was the best issue of Action Comics since the first. I liked Morrison's none-so-subtle potshots at DC as well

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 348
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 10/5/2012 3:51:40 PM   
sanchia

I probably went in without context as I have dropped an awful lot of DC comics, the only ones I seem to like are the ones which are selling poorly.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 349
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 10/5/2012 4:09:07 PM   
furrybastard

Action #9 seems to be the first issue of the next arc anyway. I liked Earth 2 #1 well enough as well; it was a hell of a lot better than Justice League #1, that's for sure.

I'm down to only a small number of DC comics as well. I think I'm about ready to throw in the towel with Before Watchmen coming along. I'll probably end up just buying stuff like Animal Man in trades.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 10/5/2012 4:10:32 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 350
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 10/5/2012 5:34:50 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Action #9 seems to be the first issue of the next arc anyway. I liked Earth 2 #1 well enough as well; it was a hell of a lot better than Justice League #1, that's for sure.

I'm down to only a small number of DC comics as well. I think I'm about ready to throw in the towel with Before Watchmen coming along. I'll probably end up just buying stuff like Animal Man in trades.

Oh yeah Earth 2 #1 was a freaking masterpiece compared to Justice League #1. The only thing I didn't really like about it was the set-up for World's Finest starring Huntress and Power Girl, although that didn't bother me as much until I read the first issue of that too. It really makes no sense now that Huntress is supposed to have been Helena Wayne all along. Then again, not much in the DC universe does anymore.

Post #: 351
RE: DC Universe to reboot?!? - 10/5/2012 6:22:26 PM   
sanchia

They seem to have rebooted the thing back to the late 60's and 70's. So basically is it going to be back in the style of it was then where there were essentially two worlds running with different Flash, Superman etc?

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 352
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 10/5/2012 8:08:30 PM   
Vadersville

I read somewhere that DC said that all the other multiverse Earths ceased to exist after Crisis on Infinite Earths yet they kept designating certain Earth numbers to titles that were outside continuity, like Batman Beyond and Final Crisis definitley used the concept again (There was one where Obama was the President AND Superman!). I really don't think it ever went away. I like it in the sense that it gives writers the chance to tell stories outside of the mainstream continuity but it gets silly when they start changing the continuity of a parallel universe. Why not just create another one? As much as I enjoyed Earth 2 #1 I do feel this is the start of just another way for DC to have two different running continuitys at once and milk us for even more money.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 353
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 10/5/2012 9:04:46 PM   
directorscut

THIS IS WHY COMIC UNIVERSES ARE DUMB.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 354
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 10/5/2012 9:18:32 PM   
Vadersville

GO AWAY

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 355
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 11/5/2012 12:25:08 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I read somewhere that DC said that all the other multiverse Earths ceased to exist after Crisis on Infinite Earths yet they kept designating certain Earth numbers to titles that were outside continuity, like Batman Beyond and Final Crisis definitley used the concept again (There was one where Obama was the President AND Superman!). I really don't think it ever went away. I like it in the sense that it gives writers the chance to tell stories outside of the mainstream continuity but it gets silly when they start changing the continuity of a parallel universe. Why not just create another one? As much as I enjoyed Earth 2 #1 I do feel this is the start of just another way for DC to have two different running continuitys at once and milk us for even more money.

They did. Crisis on Infinite Earths was effectively a house cleaning exercise to get rid of years of convoluted continuity and multiple earths but they bought it back through Infinite Crisis and 52.

I'm with you in that I like a good story whether it's set in continuity or not and think that writers should be allowed the freedom to tell the stories they want to tell outside of the main monthlies. However, when you potentially have 52 different Batman w/ different origins etc it all becomes completely ridiculous. Even keeping track of the continuity of one earth is touch enough let alone several.

As a comic fan though it's never going to make too much sense but DC are pretty awful at keeping track of things in my opinion.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 356
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 11/5/2012 3:16:12 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

They did. Crisis on Infinite Earths was effectively a house cleaning exercise to get rid of years of convoluted continuity and multiple earths but they bought it back through Infinite Crisis and 52.

I'm with you in that I like a good story whether it's set in continuity or not and think that writers should be allowed the freedom to tell the stories they want to tell outside of the main monthlies. However, when you potentially have 52 different Batman w/ different origins etc it all becomes completely ridiculous. Even keeping track of the continuity of one earth is touch enough let alone several.

As a comic fan though it's never going to make too much sense but DC are pretty awful at keeping track of things in my opinion.

Agreed.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 357
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 11/5/2012 4:48:41 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Think as soon as Avengers vs X-Men's storyline's over gonna be doing some "MAJOR HOUSE CLEANING!" on my comics especially in the X department & maybe a couple of DCs.

Post #: 358
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 11/5/2012 6:15:19 PM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Think as soon as Avengers vs X-Men's storyline's over gonna be doing some "MAJOR HOUSE CLEANING!" on my comics especially in the X department & maybe a couple of DCs.

But then your list will grow again as Marvel reboots everything later this year...

Post #: 359
RE: DC - Earth 2 - 14/5/2012 9:39:32 AM   
Wild about Wilder

That actually may be a good thing???
As if they start from number1 won't feel so obligated to stick with certain books due to the long print run I own which is the case with a fair few of them now.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 14/5/2012 9:41:03 AM >

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Martian Manhunter DCnU Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI