Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Hunger Games trilogy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Hunger Games trilogy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 20/11/2011 10:23:52 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I finished reading the first one this afternoon - good book, I enjoyed it! I guess the fact that I knew that there were other books with Katniss as a character meant that the end was unsurprising to a certain extent, although there were certainly enough twists and turns along the way to getting there. Very tense stuff towards the end, with one particularly barmy plot twist being entertaining enough to just about get away with it! I think it ended at a good point too - leaving a whole other story for the sequel. I shall be buying it after payday!

It'll be interesting to see how the film turns out. The book wasn't excessively graphic in it's descriptions but there's no denying the subject matter is very dark and vicious for 'young adult' fiction - hopefully they won't lose that edge.

Don't know how you're getting your books Hans, however if you go to Waterstones they've got a Paperback box-set in with a sticker on that says 7 off, but when I took it to the till it was a tenner off which meant it was all 3 books for 14, which considering they were 26 to get separately was a bit of a bargain, and considering book 2 and 3 are 9 quid a pop it may be worth investing in the set.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 31
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 20/11/2011 11:43:41 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Or ASDA. Under 4 each

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 32
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 21/11/2011 12:53:17 PM   
Super Hans

Thanks for the tips guys - I bought the first one on Kindle to I'm planning to do the same to be honest. I am partial to a nice paperback collection but I'm running out of space unfortunately! I got the first for 3.15 and I think the next two are currently about 3.80 & 4.50 so not too expensive - might as well buy them both before the price goes up!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 33
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 27/11/2011 4:21:27 PM   
Super Hans

I actually had a change of plan - my sister was struggling for ideas for a Christmas present for me, I suggested the box set might be a good one, just 12 online at the moment! Probably a good way of doing it, I'm not a great fan of reading through a series one book straight after the next as I end up a bit burnt out - happened with the Harry Potter and His Dark Materials books. Finished and enjoyed them all in the end, but I definitely prefer keeping things varied.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 34
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 20/1/2012 12:51:45 PM   
ChickMagnet

Double reason for me to bump this thread.

Firstly if anyones still second guessing if they want the books or not, all of them are currently in a 2 for 3 deal at The Works, meaning you can get the full series and another book for 6 - Bargain!

Secondly after starting and finishing Part 2 of Mockingjay last night, I'd say it'd be a safe bet that I'll finish it all tonight, the trilogy is probably one of the best series of books I've read in a while, however the movie is worrying me more and more, particularly as I've seen a thread on another forum (can't remember which one), where they had photos of the cast and were asking people to decide if they were Team Gale or Team Peeta, that's too Twilight-ish for my liking!

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 35
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 20/1/2012 1:03:24 PM   
jcthefirst

Just finished reading the first book on my wife's recommendation. Very enjoyable. About to start the second.

Also, is it just me that when reading imagined Peeta as an Indian boy? Seeing him as a blond haired, blue eyed kid in the trailer just seemed wrong.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 36
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 20/1/2012 4:26:51 PM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

Firstly if anyones still second guessing if they want the books or not, all of them are currently in a 2 for 3 deal at The Works, meaning you can get the full series and another book for 6 - Bargain!

Secondly after starting and finishing Part 2 of Mockingjay last night, I'd say it'd be a safe bet that I'll finish it all tonight, the trilogy is probably one of the best series of books I've read in a while, however the movie is worrying me more and more, particularly as I've seen a thread on another forum (can't remember which one), where they had photos of the cast and were asking people to decide if they were Team Gale or Team Peeta, that's too Twilight-ish for my liking!

Well the Twilight-ish love triangle is a big part of the book and you can't blame the PR guys for pushing this side of it.

interested to see how the movie turns out, even if they tone down the violence there is an overall hardness running through the books that can't be toned down without ruining everything that makes the books gripping. If they try to make this the new Twilight it'll be a mess, just like the Dark Materials was arsed up when they tried to make it the new Narnia.

I am but an egg.

Post #: 37
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 20/1/2012 6:26:58 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

quote:

Well the Twilight-ish love triangle is a big part of the book and you can't blame the PR guys for pushing this side of it.

interested to see how the movie turns out, even if they tone down the violence there is an overall hardness running through the books that can't be toned down without ruining everything that makes the books gripping. If they try to make this the new Twilight it'll be a mess, just like the Dark Materials was arsed up when they tried to make it the new Narnia.

I know exactly what you mean, I've seen some pictures from the film and people don't look how I'd pictured them, particularly Haymitch, though to be honest as much as I love me some Woody Harrelson he isn't the person I'd have had playing him - I'd have gone for Christopher Eccleston

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 38
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 21/1/2012 11:05:40 AM   
Stillwater

Got mine on a 3 for 5 deal in The Works, bargain!

I actually think Woody Harrelson does look how I would imagine Haymitch, so I'm happy with that casting. Same with Gale. Josh Hutcheson as Peeta seems a little off to me, but will see how it plays in the film.

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

Post #: 39
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 21/1/2012 5:20:30 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

quote:

I know exactly what you mean, I've seen some pictures from the film and people don't look how I'd pictured them, particularly Haymitch, though to be honest as much as I love me some Woody Harrelson he isn't the person I'd have had playing him - I'd have gone for Christopher Eccleston

They needed someone who would stick around for more than one film.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 40
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 23/1/2012 9:05:27 PM   
directorscut

After spending about a month on these books I finally finished the third one in the early hours of the morning. Generally I thought they were pretty good. The first one is the best, although it loses steam when they become allies and spend a lot of the time in a cave. The first half of Mockingjay is pretty poor and plodding and if I was adapting it for a film I would completely rewrite it so we would get to the Capitol as soon as possible. Once it does get to the Capitol it becomes much, much better. Catching Fire doesn't reach the excellence of the first 2/3s of the original or the final third of the last, but it is the most consistent in quality.

While I liked the character of Katniss (she's basically a female version of Rambo), too many times, particularly in the second and third books she seems to be completely oblivious to obvious things around her and has schizophrenic flip-flops way too often. Along with some rewriting I imagine Jennifer Lawrence can make a terrific character of her though.

Also there was way too much focus on fashion and make-up for my liking. It was good the first time but did we really need to hear about every time she changed clothes?

PS. I don't think there's anything in the first two books that couldn't make it into a PG-13 movie, although the third book will have to be severely toned down for one.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 41
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 25/1/2012 10:53:36 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I'm not interested in the films at all due to the rateing thing. There's no way they'll capture the bloodshed of the books. Good books though, I wouldn't be so hard on the fashion and stuff seeing as teenage gals are probs the target audiances, lol, great books considering though.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 42
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 26/1/2012 5:03:18 PM   
directorscut

Like I said there isn't much bloodshed at all in the first two books.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 43
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 30/1/2012 3:20:08 PM   
Rob

I've started reading these purely on the basis of recommendations on here and Goodreads.com I have to say I'm really enjoying it so far. It's hugely enjoyable, an interesting story and actually better written than I thought it would be.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 44
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 9/2/2012 2:05:25 PM   
Super Hans

I started reading Catching Fire this week, on page 145 at the moment. It's starting to get very interesting, although was a little slow to start with.

The only thing I'm not so keen on is the way that the teen angsty, Peeta or gale theme has ratcheted up a good few notches in this book, which is a little tedious. Like Blackduck rightly points out though, I suppose it's a significant part of the story afterall.

Hopefully will try and get these two books finished before going to watch the film!

Post #: 45
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 10/2/2012 4:16:43 PM   
impqueen

I've caved and have started this today.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 46
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 21/2/2012 11:57:35 AM   
Rob

Finished the last book last night and overall thoroughly enjoyed them. The last book felt a bit forced in some places and the pacing was a bit off but all in all a really enjoyable set of books with some strong characterisation.

Very interested to see the film now.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 47
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 27/2/2012 1:10:15 PM   
jcthefirst

Really liked the first book, thought the second was alright, real struggle to finish the third.

I applaud the author for writing about the 'horrors of war' from a teenagers point of view, but by the end Katniss had become so unlikable (IMO) it was a real slog to get to the end.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 48
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 29/2/2012 11:35:05 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I always thought that was the point that you end up not liking her. For books aimed at teens they're v.good. The last book was sooooo depressing. Lol. I can just imagine the stunned look on kids faces when the credits roll on that film.. It's funny logging onto Goodreads latey and seeing the amount of folk off the forums with HG on their reading status.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 49
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 4/3/2012 4:25:14 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

I always thought that was the point that you end up not liking her. For books aimed at teens they're v.good. The last book was sooooo depressing. Lol. I can just imagine the stunned look on kids faces when the credits roll on that film.. It's funny logging onto Goodreads latey and seeing the amount of folk off the forums with HG on their reading status.

Indeed - same with the "Song of Ice and Fire" books!

I've been a right lazy fecker with my reading recently, still on Catching Fire, on about page 300. Certainly not as fast paced as the first one - seems to be taking ages to get to the event I've been waiting for! I'm interested to see how it all plays out - I should probably go read some more now, rather than pottering about on t'interweb...

Post #: 50
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 6/3/2012 10:49:12 PM   
Super Hans

What an ending to Catching Fire! Bring one the next one

Post #: 51
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 7/3/2012 5:22:03 PM   
matthewforan

Just finished the final book and all i'm wondering is who's cooking those damn onions....

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 52
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 18/3/2012 10:39:16 PM   
Super Hans

I finished Mockingjay over the weekend - fantastic read, possibly my favourite of the trilogy. The three books made an excellent tale overall, more twists, turns and surprises than you can shake a shitty stick at.

Bozz, I think I've argued on other threads that containing the violence within the 12A certificate was perfectly doable, but I have to concur that with Mockingjay, the violence and gore is notably stronger - definitely pushing the boundaries of the 'teen fiction' bracket! That's going to be tricky to film. Would probably benefit from a certificate nearer to the R in America - still allow it's audience to see it with parents but with a bit more leeway than the 12A allows.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 53
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 18/3/2012 11:29:59 PM   
The REAL Bozz

SPOILERS. Don't read if you havent read the last book.SPOILERS!!

I'm sure they'll still manage to get the 12A but they'll just cut away and leave the violence hinted at. As for the part concenring the younger sister I think they'll change that.

Did you know, only found this out, they are planning on making 4 films in total. Either book 2 or book 3 will be split in half. What a load of shite that is. I can understand 'em doing it with Potter but none of these HG books warrant such treatment. Each book could easily be adapted into one film. Blatant cash grab.

Glad you liked'em mate. Overall three solid books. Second one was probs my fave out of the three of'em just for the OHSHIT! direction it took. Proper nasty twist. I remember getting a third into the book and thinking "Where is this going? Surely they aren't on tour for the whole book" and then BAM! lol. I thought Johanna and Finnick were good additions to the cast aswell.

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 18/3/2012 11:36:06 PM >

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 54
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 18/3/2012 11:46:11 PM   
directorscut

SPOILERS (KIND OF)

They won't get a PG-13 if they include the scene where the army dude is blown in half.

Which is a shame as I thought that was the moment where the book started to get good.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 18/3/2012 11:47:16 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 18/3/2012 11:51:01 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

I'm sure they'll still manage to get the 12A but they'll just cut away and leave the violence hinted at. As for the part concenring the younger sister I think they'll change that.

Did you know, only found this out, they are planning on making 4 films in total. Either book 2 or book 3 will be split in half. What a load of shite that is. I can understand 'em doing it with Potter but none of these HG books warrant such treatment. Each book could easily be adapted into one film. Blatant cash grab.

Glad you liked'em mate. Overall three solid books. Second one was probs my fave out of the three of'em just for the OHSHIT! direction it took. Proper nasty twist. I remember getting a third into the book and thinking "Where is this going? Surely they aren't on tour for the whole book" and then BAM! lol. I thought Johanna and Finnick were good additions to the cast aswell.

I did see something on IMDB about a 'Hunger Games 4'... it's a shame that they've gone down this route nowdays, purely to drag an extra film and another $600m+ out of a franchise. Completely agree that each book should be doable in a single film. They're very well structured books and each one is perfectly adaptable without having to split them up. Not even sure how they'd split either Catching Fire or Mockingjay really as each one has a perfect 3 act structure.

I liked the fact that each one was a bit different in it's style - first one could lazily be descibed as a teen mishmash of The Running Man and Battle Royale, but the other two books raise it far above that.

Post #: 56
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 19/3/2012 12:12:53 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Yeah....oh well, it's all about the s at the end of the day. Nothing new there. I just worry splitting the book will hurt the flow of the plot or whatever. Ah, time will tell I suppose.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 57
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 2/4/2012 3:21:29 PM   
Funkyrae

I've just finished these, read all three of them in record time.

Now it may be that I'm still hormonal as my baby was born only a month ago, but there were several moments where I felt a lump in my throat. Finnick was certainly one of them, Prim another.

Fantastic books.

That's me that is!

Post #: 58
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 26/4/2012 2:04:39 AM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

quote:

I did see something on IMDB about a 'Hunger Games 4'... it's a shame that they've gone down this route nowdays, purely to drag an extra film and another $600m+ out of a franchise. Completely agree that each book should be doable in a single film. They're very well structured books and each one is perfectly adaptable without having to split them up. Not even sure how they'd split either Catching Fire or Mockingjay really as each one has a perfect 3 act structure.

I liked the fact that each one was a bit different in it's style - first one could lazily be descibed as a teen mishmash of The Running Man and Battle Royale, but the other two books raise it far above that.

Having read the three books, and seen the film I think the third book could benefit from this treatment. I liked the books but I felt the whole thing being told from Katniss's point of view could be a bit annoying at times, a lot of the third book she spends hiding under pipes and moaping about. I liked that with the first film they branched out away from her to show how the games are manipulated etc and I think with the third book this strategy could work as I would've liked to see a bit more of the politics and decision making behind some of the third books major plot points

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 59
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 9/8/2012 12:52:19 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST TWO BOOKS - AND THE SUBTLE KNIFE.

I'm glad i've started reading this series.

The first book, as expected, set the tone, provided the structure to the series. Very well worked and the actual games was quite exciting. Some of the character development seemed a bit forced (especially with Rue, so her subsequent death didn't really affect me that much) and some characters don't really get much time to shine, but it was nonetheless a cracking opener.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well thought out the plot was. I mean, the major plot point at the end with the berries did not appear forced at all, but rather it seemed to have naturally progressed to that point. Fox face could have only been killed with those berries because of how sneaky she was, and it seemed prudent for Katniss and Peeta to hold on to them in order to try and kill Cato so when the near-suicide happens it just felt right.

I felt like I was numb to the whole idea of children killing each other when reading the book, but after watching the film, and actually seeing kids murder one another on screen made me realise how bold the premise of the series is. The film compliments the book nicely.

I have only just finished reading Catching Fire and I genuinely couldn't put it down. I started the book this morning. The first 200 pages plods along quite slowly, I was willing something interesting to happen. I thought we would get an insight into all the districts, but when we didn't I was slightly disappointed. Upon reflection though, I realise that this was a wise move because it could have got tedious very quickly.

When we meet the two escapees, I think, OK we're finally getting somewhere but then we get another 50 pages of nothing really. Then BAM Snow's announcement - even the wording of it - was brilliant, if a little expected. (I have not felt like I did at that moment since Will's dad died in front of him in The Subtle Knife.) Everything that follows was pretty exciting stuff. Peeta announcing he marriage and pregnancy was brilliant. Just when I think that Katniss and the group are getting sponsorships a little too easily, it all gets explained.

My only other criticism of the second book was that the final chapter felt very rushed. Haymitch's explanation of what happened was reduced to a mere paragraph and I felt a bit cheated. But then I suppose it will all get explained in the final book...which i'm about to start.

Cheers guys for the recommendation when I was pondering reading the series in another thread

< Message edited by Sumintelligentguy -- 9/8/2012 12:57:34 AM >

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Hunger Games trilogy Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI