Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Hunger Games trilogy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Hunger Games trilogy Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Hunger Games trilogy - 30/5/2011 10:52:45 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Read the trilogy over the past fortnight and really enjoyed all three books. Any other fans out there?

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***
Post #: 1
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 5/6/2011 4:07:43 AM   
stef3

Yeah been rereading the trilogy for the second time since the big news over the last few days about the casting of the movie. Still immensely graphic and emotionally gripping throughout.

But really interested in how they are going to get the main character's voice out in the film as her first person pov is the biggest reason this series is brilliant. There is a big issue of doublespeak and political machinations in the novels where a character is doing something and thinking something else entirely beneath the surface to make themselves appear better to the audience and their audience. Just to pick one example: Katniss has to play the lovestruck simple girl in love with a boy and about to kiss him while inwardly she knows the cameras are watching and she is cursing herself at having to give her first kiss to a sick boy she is in debt to. There are numerous other examples such as her having to smile up at the sky with relief when she hears she can be with the boy again which she is only doing to play the game. One way around it would be to have voiceover or to establish that she has to play to an audience and the game and a way to win as she gets to the capitol beforehand which will have to be first rate scenes to put us in her shoes as it were.

Also I am reminded that the actress that will play Katniss is going to have very big shoes to fill as this character is the backbone of this story and this story is vicious and really graphic. The director will have a very difficult job,managing the tone as this story has great moments of victory but very harrowing scenes as well...

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 2
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 5/6/2011 4:36:44 PM   
The REAL Bozz

To be fair I'm not to interested in the films. I can't see how they will do the books justice. The rating of the films alone are expected to be PG13 or 12A so already you've lost a lot.

Funny you mention the first person narration. I hated that part of the book. I did my head in. You need only read a book like Game of Thrones to see how internal thoughts and agendas can still be clearly conveyed without having your main characters inner voice narrate the entire thing. Twilight suffered from it aswell. Obviously Hunger Games is a much better read due to the subject matter and the strong lead.

Fave book? Mine was the second. Felt the 3rd was a bit poor in comparison to the first two but still bloody good!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to stef3)
Post #: 3
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 27/10/2011 10:39:25 AM   
Timon

Just read the first book, but I thought the ending (namely the Mutts) was a bit... off.

Still - excited by the prospect of the film. Cast and crew look top notch.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 4
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 27/10/2011 8:03:44 PM   
Super Hans

Never heard of them, but I've just read the synopsis for the first one on Amazon...I think I'll be Kindle-ing that for 3.14!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 5
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 27/10/2011 8:31:41 PM   
directorscut

Read the synopsis for the first one on Amazon.... seems like a rip off of Battle Royale and The Running Man. What's so special about it?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 6
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 28/10/2011 1:13:59 PM   
Chief

I'm about half way through the first one and I think it's pretty damn good.

There are similarities with Battle Royale (I've never read The Running Man) but it's not as heavy a read.

Post #: 7
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 29/10/2011 11:46:11 AM   
The REAL Bozz

yep Chief, it's get pretty drastic as it goes on. The do you see the issue with the film though? There's no way the movie will be as violent as the book. The violcence gets worst and worst as the books goes. People getting their head's torn off and everything.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 8
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 29/10/2011 1:37:25 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

yep Chief, it's get pretty drastic as it goes on. The do you see the issue with the film though? There's no way the movie will be as violent as the book. The violcence gets worst and worst as the books goes. People getting their head's torn off and everything.

Seriously?  That's some graphic shit for a teen fiction novel!  I started reading the first one last night, only 4 chapters in but I like it so far.

Post #: 9
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 29/10/2011 6:32:09 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Yeah! Each book has a serious body count and it's not implied violence either. Some brutal kills all around. Some shocking deaths to boot! No one is safe!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 10
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 31/10/2011 10:14:42 AM   
Chief

I've finished the first one and about 1/3 through the second. Not sure where it's going to go.

**SPOILERS**

Although it's the same characters I'm kind of missing the arena, seems like a totally different genre. Hope it picks up.

Post #: 11
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 31/10/2011 10:43:22 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Just you wait Chief That's what I thought when I was reading the second book. 'What's going on here?' and then out of nowehre BAM! Lol. It's my fave out of the three books.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 12
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 31/10/2011 12:01:00 PM   
Chief

That's cool, still early doors so I shall read on!

Post #: 13
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 31/10/2011 2:09:44 PM   
Scruffybobby

SPOILERS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Just read the first book, but I thought the ending (namely the Mutts) was a bit... off.

Still - excited by the prospect of the film. Cast and crew look top notch.

Just finished Hunger Games and started Catching Fire.

I found it quite a compelling read and got through most of it in a day. For a kids or "young adult" book it's pretty intense.

Have to agree the ending was maybe just a bit silly. Genetically engineered birds and wasps - fair enough but werewolves? Came close to ruining the whole deal. That's one thing I wouldn't mind them changing in the film.

Will come back once I've finished part 2

quote:

Also I am reminded that the actress that will play Katniss is going to have very big shoes to fill as this character is the backbone of this story and this story is vicious and really graphic. The director will have a very difficult job,managing the tone as this story has great moments of victory but very harrowing scenes as well...

I've only seen Pleasantville but Gary Ross did a pretty good job with that. I've absolutely no doubt that Jennifer Lawrence can do Katniss justice. She's amazing in Winter's Bone and Ree Dolly isn't a million miles from Miss Everdeen

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 31/10/2011 2:13:29 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 1/11/2011 12:26:07 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Spoiler tags I think when talking about the ending. Not everyone on here has finished the 1st book yet.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 15
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 1/11/2011 2:12:40 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Spoiler tags I think when talking about the ending. Not everyone on here has finished the 1st book yet.

Like the one in my post, the very first word?

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 16
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 4/11/2011 2:00:58 PM   
Chief

quote:

Just you wait Chief That's what I thought when I was reading the second book. 'What's going on here?' and then out of nowehre BAM! Lol. It's my fave out of the three books.

Got you now.

Post #: 17
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 4/11/2011 2:15:10 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

Got you now.

It does kind of meander around quite a bit until Katniss and the other past winners have go back into the Games. I assume that's the BAM! moment referred to. Have to admit I did suspect something along those lines but that exactly.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 18
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 4/11/2011 3:19:30 PM   
The REAL Bozz

It's full steam ahead now. Can't wait to see what you think of them when you've finished the lot. The final book verges on comical in how ruthless it is when it comes down to killing off folk. I'm just about to get around to picking up a compy of The Book With No Name??? I read the write up on Goodreads. Sound bonkers, in a good way!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 19
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 7/11/2011 11:42:48 AM   
Chief

Just finished the second book. Could see it coming but still enjoying it.

Going to get the third book sorted when I get home.

Question BOZZ, does it conclude or is it left open for more? Not that it'll change my mind but after reading A Game of Thrones: Five Massive Books But Not Really Gone Anywhere I'd like something with an actual ending.

Post #: 20
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 12/11/2011 11:57:44 AM   
Scruffybobby

So have now read the full trilogy. The third one certainly has some scope, and will make a pretty epic film.

The ending is not necessarily what you would expect and the story as a whole has some interesting things to say about politics, propaganda and humanity's strenghs and weaknesses.

The character development across the trilogy goes in some unxpected ways. In the thrid book especially Katniss actually comes over as pretty unlikeable at times such as when she murders the woman in her home or votes to hold another hunger games with the Capitol kids You can understand her motives but it's still hard to take.

Lookin forward to the films - should be a full trailer up soon

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 21
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 12/11/2011 7:15:05 PM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

Just finished the second book. Could see it coming but still enjoying it.

Going to get the third book sorted when I get home.

Question BOZZ, does it conclude or is it left open for more? Not that it'll change my mind but after reading A Game of Thrones: Five Massive Books But Not Really Gone Anywhere I'd like something with an actual ending.

Yes it finishes with an absolute THE END. NO MORE! Lol. (Although......)

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 22
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 12/11/2011 7:17:58 PM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

So have now read the full trilogy. The third one certainly has some scope, and will make a pretty epic film.

The ending is not necessarily what you would expect and the story as a whole has some interesting things to say about politics, propaganda and humanity's strenghs and weaknesses.

The character development across the trilogy goes in some unxpected ways. In the thrid book especially Katniss actually comes over as pretty unlikeable at times such as when she murders the woman in her home or votes to hold another hunger games with the Capitol kids You can understand her motives but it's still hard to take.

I'm not looking forward to them sadly. Read an interview last week and it said the films will skim on the violence. Kind of misses the points of the books. Although I can understand why they've done it. They want as many people to see the film as possible so bloodshed and decpitations are a no go. Hate how they are trying to justify splitting one of the sequels into two films. All three books are short enough to warrant their own flick, there's no Potter 'brick's among 'em.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 23
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 15/11/2011 9:29:38 AM   
Chief

Finished last night. Pretty damn good.

RE: Katniss becoming unlikeable, surely that's just the effect the Games (and her fathers death) have had on her.

Post #: 24
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 15/11/2011 10:12:47 AM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

I'm not looking forward to them sadly. Read an interview last week and it said the films will skim on the violence. Kind of misses the points of the books.

Not really. Something can be brutal and harrowing without showing lots of blood.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 25
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 15/11/2011 10:49:58 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Maybe, anyways I'm not holding out much hope for the film. Hopefully it will surprise me. I doubt it.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 15/11/2011 3:47:19 PM   
Timon

Well, as long you're going in with an open mind...

Post #: 27
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 15/11/2011 7:02:46 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Well Timon I am, but as I said one of the producers said they are working around the violence so I am a bit annoyed tbh. Other than that I don't know what to say. Fingers crossed To be clear I'm not willing the film to be shit, there's enough of that rubbish on here as it is.

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 15/11/2011 7:03:53 PM >

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 15/11/2011 7:30:08 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Finished last night. Pretty damn good.

RE: Katniss becoming unlikeable, surely that's just the effect the Games (and her fathers death) have had on her.

Yeah, I didn't really mean it as a criticism just that it was hard to take that events  make a character that you're invested in  pretty unsympathetic at times. Quite bold actually for a "young adult" series I think.

I'm not overly concerned that the film will skirt round the vioolence. The novels don't exactly avoid stuff like that but they don't linger on it either and a lot of it is "offscreen" so to speak.  It's a bit of cliche to cite it but The Dark Knight managed to be pretty intense without anything too graphic as did the last two Bond films. And Jaws is a PG and that's fairly gory.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29
RE: The Hunger Games trilogy - 20/11/2011 8:19:28 PM   
Super Hans

I finished reading the first one this afternoon - good book, I enjoyed it! I guess the fact that I knew that there were other books with Katniss as a character meant that the end was unsurprising to a certain extent, although there were certainly enough twists and turns along the way to getting there. Very tense stuff towards the end, with one particularly barmy plot twist being entertaining enough to just about get away with it! I think it ended at a good point too - leaving a whole other story for the sequel. I shall be buying it after payday!

It'll be interesting to see how the film turns out. The book wasn't excessively graphic in it's descriptions but there's no denying the subject matter is very dark and vicious for 'young adult' fiction - hopefully they won't lose that edge.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Hunger Games trilogy Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI