Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Red Band Dragon Tattoo Teaser Leaks

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Red Band Dragon Tattoo Teaser Leaks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Red Band Dragon Tattoo Teaser Leaks - 30/5/2011 7:06:00 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 30/5/2011 9:34:16 AM   
thelas

How long until the first smug 'doesn't look a patch on the original' comment?

This looks visually amazing, great casting too. I'm impressed. The first one is OK when you take the tiny budget and slim post-production into account (also some terrible casting aside from the lead and poorly adapted characters such as Erika) but by the top Holywood standards I didn't think so. This looks like Barcelona at their best as opposed to Gothenburg at their best, if you can forgive the football analogy.

< Message edited by thelas -- 30/5/2011 10:09:03 AM >
Post #: 2
RE: RE: - 30/5/2011 9:50:58 AM   
Evil.Groovy.Ash

It doesn't look a patch on the original. ..........................................

last five films watched:

Bridemaids 2/5
Transformers 3 3/5
Green Lantern 1/5
X-Men First Class 3/5
Hangover 2 1/5

(in reply to thelas)
Post #: 3
RE: Excellent trailer - 30/5/2011 11:18:45 AM   
JIm R

That looks damn fine, I like others my objection to a re-make came out in me, but if anyone can pull it off it's Fincher and that trailer fair rocked !
Post #: 4
RE: Excellent trailer - 30/5/2011 12:57:50 PM   
pixie

Have to agree this is looking pretty stylish already. I loved the books but felt the original films were average, but were lifted by the amazing central performance from Noomi Rapace. The film could be made better, and if anyone can pull it off, I think Fincher can. I would not however like to be in Rooney Mara’s position, she has got a big pair of biker boots to fill.

Member of COBW

Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe: "We live in a space ship, dear."

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 5
RE: Excellent trailer - 30/5/2011 1:00:21 PM   
The Todge

That is a kick ass trailer and a storming cover of Immigrant Song, it's been going round and round in my head all weekend. 

Also while The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo had some nice qualities the other two films were pedestrian as fuck so this is hardly sacred ground.  If Fincher's on his game, and there's no reason to expect he wont be, we could be in for a real treat.

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 6
RE: Whoah! - 30/5/2011 3:25:41 PM   
musht

This looks very good.

Wish people would stop labelling it a 'remake', as far as I'm aware he studios or director involved have never to referred to it as such, it's just a seperate adaptation in the same way that the Cens' True Grit was a new adaptation of the book and not a remake of the John Wayne film. The source material for this film is the novel not the Swedish adaptation

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"
Post #: 7
RE: - 30/5/2011 4:27:03 PM   
hellsangel66

This looks sooooooo good......can't wait till Christmas......

I am extraordinary. I am your ordinary everyday psycho sane supergoddess
Post #: 8
RE: - 30/5/2011 6:50:04 PM   
LeonardShelby

While I agree that this is a really stunning trailer and that David Fincher is an incredible filmmaker, I am slightly worried that this movie is just going to turn out to be a carbon-copy of the original.

It's okay people saying "it's not a remake, it's based on the original books!" but so was the original. It's still a new version of a story we've already seen done very well. As someone else pointed out, the original movie is quite Fincher-esque anyway so it's difficult to see what he's going to bring to the table. I was hoping he might find a bit of his Fight Club anarchy and do something a bit more interesting with the editing and the visuals to make it more visceral, and while the trailer definitely has that vibe, the footage itself all looks very straight forward and very similar to the original movie.

Another thing that bothers me is the fact that it's still set in Sweden but all the characters are going to be speaking english. In the wake of Inglourious Basterds, I don't understand how any major film can get away with the old "oh we're foreign but we just speak english with an accent in our home country" trick. Who knows, maybe Fincher had his cast learn Swedish and the film is actually subtitled which is why there's no dialogue in the trailer lol. Wouldn't put it past him!

Either way, I have all my fingers and toes crossed about this. I think the cast is fantastic (Daniel Craig and Skarsgard especially seem custom-fitted for their roles) and Mara looks great as Lisbeth not to mention the score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross which is sure to be a treat. I just really really hope this does something a little different to justify it's existence. Even if it's a carbon copy of the original it will be a great movie but it will just be a tad pointless. At the very least it's just great to have another Fincher movie to look forward to so soon.

"In a perfect world, all movies would be made by the Coen brothers"
Post #: 9
RE: Same Difference - 30/5/2011 10:43:43 PM   
TheMachine

quote:

ORIGINAL: timmerpt

I was hoping for a different take on the story. Not completely different, but enough to warrant me seeing this one having already seen the originals but as previously stated this looks like a complete carbon copy.

Count me out!

Don't know how you can come to that conclusion based on a minute of flash-cuts.

Looking at -THIS- they reckon that:

quote:

"Fincher’s film departs dramatically from the book: Mikael Blomkvist is more gentlemanly, Salander (shown here on the motorcycle from the movie) is more aggressive—and the ending has been completely altered."

Never heard of 'W' magazine though...

< Message edited by TheMachine -- 30/5/2011 10:46:33 PM >

ABC - Always Be Closing!
Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 31/5/2011 3:08:05 AM   
Gazme

1:11 in the youtube trailer...is that Salander in London wearing the blond wig?

Looks like theyre going to end it properly in this version at least...which is awesome. The end of the Swedish version really left a bad taste in the mouth...sorta skipped out a lot of the story very annoyingly :0

Looks awesome...hope Fincher gets to do the second book and doesnt skip out all the freaking police bits like the Swedish verison did too...which was like half the book.

< Message edited by Gazme -- 31/5/2011 3:10:49 AM >

(in reply to LeonardShelby)
Post #: 11
RE: Whoah! - 31/5/2011 9:32:30 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

This looks very good.

Wish people would stop labelling it a 'remake', as far as I'm aware he studios or director involved have never to referred to it as such, it's just a seperate adaptation in the same way that the Cens' True Grit was a new adaptation of the book and not a remake of the John Wayne film. The source material for this film is the novel not the Swedish adaptation

Except the 'new' True Grit was a heck of a lot more like the original film than they seemed happy to acknowledge for the simple fact it was also a reasonably close adaptation of the book.

The original film here was a close adaptation of the book so any new adaptation of the book will inevitably feel like a remake.

What I'm hoping to see with this one is something that feels like a film rather than a 2 part TV mini-series - which, thoroughly enjoyable though the original film was, is pretty much what it felt like. I don't have any particular admiration for Fincher or see the need for US remakes though. Mara did impress her small part in Social Network I think.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 12
RE: Whoah! - 31/5/2011 10:00:46 AM   
The REAL Bozz

You should check out her large part in the Elm Street remake. May rethink your opinion.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Whoah! - 31/5/2011 10:19:44 AM   
elab49

Why would her part in a pointless horror remake change my opinion of the role I've actually seen her in? Does anyone bother even trying to act in those things?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 14
RE: Whoah! - 31/5/2011 10:41:48 AM   
matty_b

Didn't like the book, thought the Swedish adaptation was fine, if unspectacular - but this has grabbed my attention.

Fingers crossed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Whoah! - 31/5/2011 10:41:52 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Based on her performance, no they don't. However I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: Whoah! - 31/5/2011 11:10:28 AM   
Darth Marenghi

Great trailer - but really hope Mara can match up to Noomi Rapace, who simply IS Lisbeth Salander.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 17
RE: Whoah! - 31/5/2011 11:52:29 AM   
thepluginbaby

Industrial Immigrant Song sounds amazing. Big fan of the books, liked the Swedish movies as well, but if there is one director who can do the story justice it has to be David Fincher.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 18
RE: Red Band Dragon Tattoo Teaser Leaks - 31/5/2011 3:33:24 PM   
Rusty James

Forget that it's David Fincher for just a minute and watch the trailer with fresh eyes. Whilst I agree it's a fantastic piece of marketing it does look very, very similar to the original film. Some of the images look exactly the same. For two directors to visually interpret the source material in such a similar fashion is something of a minor miracle.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 19
RE: Not a fan of the book or the film.... - 31/5/2011 6:44:12 PM   
MonsterCat

I love that it's billed as the feel bad movie of the season. Bring it, I'm definitely interested.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 20
RE: RE: Same Difference - 31/5/2011 7:23:46 PM   
timmerpt

I can't argue with your reasoning TheMachine.

As you stated it's just a minute of flash-cuts, and obviously you can't judge a book by its cover (pun only semi-intended), but I am only agreeing with most other comments when say it could easily be a trailer for the original.

As more video is released and thorough review in this fine publication is printed it may convince me. However, at the moment I remain unsold.
Will have to search for this 'W' magazine of which you speak.

(in reply to Gazme)
Post #: 21
RE: Error - 1/6/2011 9:47:18 AM   
thelas

The locations look the same as it is being filmed in the same/similar locations.

I will go against the grain and say that the film is welcome and it is required. The book is a modern classic, the original Swedish version is just OK, it is nowhere near being a 4 or 5 star film. Had it not been for a good performance from Rapace (hardly Brando in The Godfather though) I doubt it would have made any impact.

An English version is welcome because the book has the potential for a classic film. The film adaptation in 2009, when judged against the book, is a disappointment. Salander is not consistent, her motivations in the book are contradicted in it, and characters like Erika Berger are made into stock damsel-in-distress clones. The standard of acting (Rapace aside), cinematography direction and editing were also poor.

This version has the best of the best in every department from the movie making capital in the world behind it, and apparently little or no studio interference with the director's creative vision. I have no doubt this will be better than the 2009 adaptation, and I equally have no doubt that it won't be acknowledged as such as the revisionists will make out that the first version was a masterpiece.

Also, being in English will automatically bring it to a larger audience. Language difference aside, this has the makings of a great film. It is certainly the best trailer I have seen since The Dark Knight, and it is great to have a trailer which doesn't summarise the plot.

< Message edited by thelas -- 1/6/2011 9:51:12 AM >
Post #: 22
RE: Welcome - 1/6/2011 2:10:48 PM   
Gazme

quote:

ORIGINAL: bubbmeister

The original Swedish film was mediocre at best. From a classic book they drained all the excitement and produced a run of the mill thriller. Normally I have no time for US remakes of foreign films but this teaser trailer already offers more than the original. Daniel Craig???????

Yay Bubbmeister!

I feel exactly the same way, loved the books but the Swedish film was just a massive let down. They missed out most of the interesting parts of the book where hes finding clues instead just having Salander in one line at the end go "oh btw, shes here..." really left a bad taste in the mouth. The second film is worse though, they ignore all of the police stuff...which is like 50% of the book.

Annoys me the films get such good reviews when they are so much worse than they should be.

This one looks brill :) Looks like shes at least in London at one point, like the book, not the Swedish film...so they might not ruin the ending quite at least quite as much as the Swedes did.
Post #: 23
RE: jus coz they cant be bothered to read subtitles - 1/6/2011 4:17:57 PM   
benskelly

quote:

ORIGINAL: 123allsystemsgo

fukin americans........

Yeah, because subtitles are so popular in the UK. Give it a rest.

I'm an American who saw all three of the Swedish films (as millions of other Americans have - and the second and third were mediocre at best, btw) and I'm tired of being "fukking" stereotyped.

I am no fan of remakes, whether the original films are foreign or my favorite American classics from the 70's, but with David Fincher behind the lens these films deserve at least a wait-and-see attitude.
Post #: 24
. - 1/6/2011 9:40:33 PM   
spamandham

Remake is a synonym for crap and pointless for a reason. Fincher has pretty much used up cinema goers goodwill with what will be a hat trick of turds.
Post #: 25
RE: http://www.mallclothes.net/ - 2/6/2011 5:01:12 PM   
mentiroso

Eh, trailer did nothing for me. I am however interested in getting that Reznor cover of Immigrant song for my collection though. Best part of the trailer!
Post #: 26
RE: Red Band Dragon Tattoo Teaser Leaks - 3/6/2011 1:02:34 PM   
mediablues

As much as I enjoyed the three Swedish films, let's be honest, they were a TV series strapped together to make some movies, and the actors were being Swedish to the point of choked constraint, i.e. wooden as my coffee table from Skandium! Whether you like it or not, subtitled films don't draw in the crowds and with Hollywood money and better framing, lighting (the Swedish films were terrible), and actors, it should be a good remake as long as they remain true to the novel. People have whinged about Daniel Craig taking on the role of Mikael Blomkvist. He's of similar age and appearance to Michael Nyqvist and will bring in the punters. Christopher Plummer looks excellent casting. The unknown is Mara Rooney. Rapace was great in the film, but I think at 31, she's too old (and not interested) to play the character now (despite being able to speak English (albeit with a slight accent) fluently.)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 27
RE: Why?? Why?? Why??!! - 5/6/2011 7:59:49 PM   
Workshed

I have mixed feelings about this. I really liked the Sweedish trilogy and thought the actors did a fantastic job, but it did seem a little "televisual". I'm a massive Fincher fan and every frame of his trailer could be hung on a wall but I don't know how necessary these remakes are. 

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"
Post #: 28
RE: Why?? Why?? Why??!! - 6/6/2011 9:12:42 AM   
Beno

Hollywood remake almost everything good as they feel they have a divine right.

I feel it will be class this time though.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Red Band Dragon Tattoo Teaser Leaks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI