Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - 29/5/2011 9:52:33 PM   
MonsterCat

As I said in my poorly written Top 50 list, David Lynch's spin-off of his popular TV drama show is my favourite of all his movies. Blue Velvet runs a very close second.

The movie charts the last seven days of Laura Palmer, the young girl who was found dead in the beginning of season one of the TV series. Sheryl Lee is a revelation as Laura and Ray Wise brings pathos and menace to his role as Laura's tragic father. The movie also features Frank Silva as Bob, one of the most terrifying and relentless villains ever committed to celluloid.

in hindsight it understandable why the movie tanked big time back in 1992. For those unfamiliar with the show it must be pretty damn confusing, and it pulls no punches with its depiction of Laura and Leland's incestuous relationship. But there's an enormous amount of pleasure to be had from piecing together the puzzle Lynch presents to us, and despite the relentlessly grim tone of the film, Lynch invests it with heart and emotion.

So are there any other fans of this movie on here?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 28/2/2012 10:55:22 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 1
RE: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - 29/5/2011 11:30:46 PM   
directorscut

One of the most unrelentingly unnerving and terrifying movies of all time. And yet the end is truly beautiful. The sort of mix that only David Lynch can do. A great movie.

Although he should have done a movie to wrap up the TV series.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2
RE: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - 29/5/2011 11:37:17 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Although he should have done a movie to wrap up the TV series.

He wanted to but the movie flopping at the box office kinda put the kibosh on that.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 3
RE: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - 30/5/2011 1:45:53 AM   
Horror Nut

I'm a huge Lynch fan...so you can certainly count me in as a fan of this film MC. I remember first watching this a couple of years ago, having only seen the pilot episode of Twin Peaks at the time, and being completely and utterly baffled . Certainly wasn't the brightest idea I've ever had...however the one thing that shone through regardless of my confusion was that Fire Walk With Me had to be one of Lynch's darkest, most unsettling films.

Fastforward a year...I finally got round to watching all of Twin Peaks, which instantly became one of my favourite TV programmes. I knew as soon as I finished with the topsy turvy, nightmarish finale that I had to revisit Fire Walk With Me...surely this time it wouldn't be such an impossibly confusing viewing experience???

Thankfully it wasn't...this is a marvellously dread-filled movie that cruises down a hellish highway towards an unavoidably tragic conclusion. The performances are excellent, the direction from Lynch, as always, is top notch, and the film still manages to unsettle and disturb regardless of how many times you see it. There were images and certain sequences that I couldn't get out of my head for days after that second viewing...I would probably rank this up there with Eraserhead and Lost Highway as Lynch's most terrifying work...and personally I would stick it alongside Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart as one of my favourite's from the Master's filmography.

Much like you guys, I would've loved a proper conclusion to Twin Peaks...guess I should keep dreaming  .

"Justin, someone just came on your cat".

"It's impossible to reconcile. It's kind of in a purgatory of it's own: you're not in heaven, you're not in hell......you're in Hollywood".

The New and Improved Horror Nut.......in 3D!!!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 4
RE: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - 31/5/2011 9:53:58 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Great film. If I recall in the Lynch on Lynch book I'm sure there is a section which alludes to where TW would have gone had it gotten a third season. It was somthing to do Laura, the spirit trapped in the red room (End of FWWM) confronting Bob and helping Dale escape. Shame we'll never really know.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Horror Nut)
Post #: 5
RE: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - 1/6/2011 12:07:11 PM   
ElephantBoy

This is certainly one of Lynch's most extreme films, for me it is a little too rough around the edges, and certain sections work better than others, still it is a must for any Lynch fan.

What I really liked about it, was how it was almost three different films all sloted together, like you get the wacky comedy stuff at the start (including Lynch's priceless camio), then the darker more psychilogy stuff, and ending with the more dreamy, surreall section, which I agree is actually very beautiful. A unique film indeed.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 6
RE: Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - 2/6/2011 9:47:14 PM   
Carabinus

I adore this film, and more so as time goes on. I go in and out of TP phases, I love the series, but this film is perfect for a hardcore concentrated dose of TP at it's best. In my early teens I read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer before I ever watched this and it totally lived up to my mental visualisation of the the book, and probably more.

I think this is definitely my favourite Lynch film, with Mulholland Drive coming close behind.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI