Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 1:40:10 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Stranger on a Train and Mr Smith are both amazing, Stand by Me and Ghostbusters aren't .

You are the first person I've ever known to hate Ghostbusters. This saddens me.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 121
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 1:49:23 AM   
MonsterCat

I wouldn't listen to someone who thinks that Van Helsing is a good film.

Ghostbusters is brilliant.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 122
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 1:51:29 AM   
Rebel scum

77-Monty Pythonís Life of Brian

Until Monty Python made this film, everything theyíd done had been a series of loosely connected sketches-even Holy Grail is a bunch of named characters ferried from sketch to sketch. But here, theyíve gone beyond their comfort zone, making a film with an actual plot-a silly plot, with plenty of random elements and non-sequiturs, but a plot just the same. While there are some scenes that could have been put in the sketch show unchanged (The ďWhat have the Romans done for usĒ scene springs to mind, and probably the Biggus Dickus one too), the unification of them to an actual story does help make them funnier. Indeed, thereís only one moment in the film that is just Pythonesque nonsense (The aliens), with every other scene happening at least consistent with the others.

Really, itís hard writing in too much detail about a comedy like this, as thereís not much to say other than ďItís really funnyĒ before rolling off a list of examples. Suffice it to say that if the Pythons are your kind of humour, then itís one of the funniest comedies ever made. If not, you wonít laugh at all. And thereís really not much else to say.

BEST SCENE: The stoning, building on levels of ridiculous and incredibly quotable lines, building up to a perfect ending.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 123
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 1:54:12 AM   
rawlinson

How can anyone hate Ghostb... oh wait, it's Gimli. 

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 124
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 2:00:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Life Of Brian is superb. More laughs in the opening 2 minutes than the whole of Ghostbusters.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 125
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 2:05:40 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

Life Of Brian is superb.

So right.

quote:

More laughs in the opening 2 minutes than the whole of Ghostbusters.

So Gimli.

Post #: 126
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 2:13:51 AM   
Rebel scum

76-The Sixth Sense

Say what you like about M Night Shyamalan (And everybody has) but he does have some talent (although Christ knows where itís being used nowadays, maybe heís taken up painting or something) and The Sixth Sense proves that he can both write a well-paced horror script and direct it with just the right amount of flair. I reckon that if Iíd seen this for the first time with no knowledge of the ending itíd be even higher up the list, because itís one of those perfect twist endings that completely change the film on second watch, but sadly the twist here has entered It Was His Sled levels (And if youíve somehow managed to avoid having the ending spoilt for you and you havenít seen this film, watch it now before someone does).

However, The Sixth Sense is more than a twist in search of a film, and the fact itís on here even though Iíve always known the ending is proof of that. Part of the reason it works is Bruce Willis, who gives a performance that should have been at least nominated for an Oscar. His portrayal of a doctor suffering a crisis of confidence as well as suffering issues in his personal life is a great one. Maybe the reason he was ignored is because heís acting against Haley Joel Osment, giving one of cinemaís best child performances. Usually the child in horror films is used solely as a way of getting cheap scares and falsely upping the stakes, because hey! Now a kid is involved! But making Cole a kid instead of an adult works, as his childlike sense of being both intrigued and scared by the unknown makes his character work.

Overall, The Sixth Sense works as a great horror film by refusing to be dominated by the ghosts-itís played as a character drama that happens to have ghosts in it, turning it into one of the best ghost story of the 90s.

BEST SCENE (SPOILERS): Cole and his mum in the car at the end, with Cole finally admitting his talent and telling his mum about their Gran. It should be a sappy moment, but it works, thanks to Osment and Toni Collette (Whoís been quietly OK in the film up to this point) both selling the hell out of it.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 127
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 2:14:32 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

More laughs in the opening 2 minutes than the whole of Ghostbusters.

Bite your head off, man.

Post #: 128
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 2:19:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Sixth Sense is great. I remember being at the cinema and one bloke shouted out "I knew it, I knew it. What did I tell you!" come the final revelation. Even better, I was sitting near the back of the cinema and that scene when the ghost walks past the bathroom door, I must've seen about a dozen people jump, popcorn flying all over the place

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 129
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 2:22:25 AM   
rawlinson

Not a big fan of The Sixth Sense. HJO is great though. 

Post #: 130
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 2:23:07 AM   
Rebel scum

My viewing experience was similar, except my first viewing was at school (Best. Coursework. Ever). When the girl appears in the tent, everyone in the class screamed their lungs out .

Post #: 131
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 2:30:41 AM   
Rebel scum

75-The Spirit of the Beehive

Spirit of the Beehive surprised me when I first watched it as we were told it was a bunch of subtle digs at Franco and the fascist regime in place at the time. What I wasnít expecting is for it to be a beautifully shot exploration of childhood and the power of cinema. I mean, it does kind of criticize Franco, with the bloke in the barn a representation of the oppressed rebels or...fuck it, itís better if you look at it as a film about childhood.

Said children are two siblings living happily in a massive house, then the cinema rolls around and all the village turns out to watch Frankenstein. The images of all the kids in the village transfixed by a classic black and white film both a) is a stunningly simple image showing the power cinema has always had and b) depresses me that if this sort of thing happened today the kids would be shown Thomas and the Magic Railroad or something, but anyway!

This film is one of the best examples of a great film that just shows a life in extraordinary circumstances. Sure, thereís a mysterious guy in a barn somewhere, but the film also takes time out to show the girls just...living. Sure, these scenes do start reflecting the girl slowly retreating into a fantasy world (Caused by Frankenstein, maybe they should have played Thomas after all), but they are also stunningly beautiful images of kids being kids. Itís a similar film to Stand By Me, in that itís happy to show kids being kids and is all the better for it.

BEST SCENE: Iím inclined to go for the cinema scene again, itís just a wonderful moment in a film full of them.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 132
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 2:49:30 AM   
Rebel scum

74-The Nightmare Before Christmas

I hate musicals. Hate hate hate hate hate them. There are a few exceptions (Sweeney Todd, Singiní in the Rain, another one coming up later), but by and large I canít stand any film where musical numbers turn up every five minutes to advance the plot, and this does extent to animated films, although Disney gets a pass because itís Disney. The reason Iím bringing this up is because Nightmare Before Christmas is a film I have no right to enjoying as much as I did, it being a film where musical numbers turn up etc., not to mention a film that every wannabe goth has on their bag. And yet, every song in this film is a show-stopper, a wonderfully written explosion of creativity that is complimented by some of the best stop-motion seen on film. From the opening This Is Halloween, that introduces the premise, world and characters in three minutes, to the giddy joy of Whatís This, to the delightfully gruesome Kidnap The Sandy Claws, the songs rattle along at a wonderful rate, with nary a dud in the mix.

Even excepting the songs (Which really do make the film) the rest of the film is still of a high quality. The visuals are fun and creative, it being made before Tim Burton started ripping himself off, and the characters are drawn just well enough that you wind up caring about what happens to them. Thereís even a great script around the musical sequences, with plenty of witty lines (ďIím only an elected official, I canít make decisions by myself!Ē) While it is arguable that the non-song bits of the film are designed to ferry us to the next musical number, it at least doesnít feel like it.

BEST SCENE: Any of the musical sequences could qualify, but Iím going to tie it between This Is Halloween and Whatís This?, being the most entertaining, catchy musical numbers in the film, with some of the filmís best visuals complimenting them.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 133
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 8:54:38 AM   
MovieAddict247

The Nightmare Before Christmas is fantastic - I love it. It's so magical.

The Spirit of the Beehive - I see why some like it, but I'm not a fan.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 134
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 25/10/2011 1:14:54 PM   
matty_b

Ghostbusters - great fun.

The Birds - one of Hitchcock's top three.

Life of Brian - hilarious.

The Sixth Sense - I'm a big fan.

The Nightmare Before Christmas - good stuff.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 135
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 12:58:05 AM   
Rebel scum

73-Clerks

I think the main reason Clerks makes the list is the sheer amount of comedy it worms from taking things that happen every day and exaggerating them to a hilarious degree. This is first shown by a bloke coming in and he starts giving Dante a lecture on how cigarettes are dangerous-a very familiar scenario to anyone whoís ever worked anywhere that sells the bloody things. Then we cut to him virtually leading a revolution before being exposed as a salesman-this sort of thing would never actually happen, but it stems from such a recognisable scenario that it blends the humour of Monty Python with the more ďdown-to-earthĒ comedy of, say, most American sitcoms (except funny).

It also helps that the guy we spend the entire day with is a very human protagonist, whining about how he shouldnít be in, not giving a damn about most of the customers and having very real relationships with his friends-Randall is the annoying friend you canít escape from, he has a girlfriend who loves him but not in a typical ďMadonnaĒ kind of way (37 dicks!), and an ex who isnít out for revenge but wants to get laid. These are all recognisable characters that only serve to make the humour funnier-we all know people like this.

Itís a damn shame Kevin Smith never came close to matching this in terms of brilliance, with only Dogma coming close, and the sequel wasnít bad, I guess. But the original is best, balancing the comedy of the everyday with the comedy of the surreal into a seamless blend of hilarity.

BEST SCENE: While itís one of those thatís been quoted to death, the whole 37 dicks skit is still absolutely hilarious.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 136
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 12:59:28 AM   
Rebel scum

72-Collateral

Collateral is the best thriller Hitchcock never made, filtered through the lens of one of the most visually interesting directors currently working. The way most of it stays in the same location (the cab) and focuses more on the dynamics between killer and hostage are things very Hitchcockian, and the surprising streak of humour is right out of something like Rear Window-the scene where Vincent acts all charming and nice to Maxís mum is both tense and darkly funny.

It helps that the two leads are near-flawless, Tom Cruise proving that when he gets his teeth into a role heís a tour de force, and Jamie Foxx giving his best performance to date (Suck it, Ray) as a cabbie whose simple goodness starts oozing into Vincentís psyche-ironically notching up the body count of what should be a simple assassination job. The way this is conveyed isnít through a big ďWhy do you kill? There is good in you!Ē speech, but instead through how they interact via awkward small-talk and even in the set-pieces. After a while, Vincent even begins to like Max, which could be seen as inevitable in a film like this but never feels forced.

Iíve heard a lot of complaints about the finale, and while it is a shame that fewer mind games are used and it has one of the laziest, most obvious Checkovís Guns in cinema history, it resists bringing in the police or something equally ďbigĒ and only involves the three people in a tense chase, cumulating in a great last line.

BEST BIT: Max having to pretend to be Vincent, the entire scene is just excruciatingly tense and yet it also shows how far Max has come as a character over the course of the night.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 137
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 1:11:53 AM   
Rebel scum

71-Barton Fink

Like Clerks, this is a film that exaggerates familiar stereotypes and people, but does it for drama instead of humour. Barton is a very believable screenwriter, and the story about writerís block manages to resist the old clichť of showing crumpled up bits of paper around a bin, which is always a plus. Conversely, everything else around him is warped just enough that it almost makes sense, then BOOM! No it doesnít, or at least thereís no easy answer. The main reason for this is John Goodman, who has a habit of being the best thing about everything heís in (Except The Emperorís New Groove), who plays a chap whoís mental, except maybe heís not human or maybe he is but heís also a punishing angel and maybe heís not mental after all or AAH! See what I mean about it being a bit of a head-trip?

Not that it being open-ended is bad; indeed itís one of the filmís major strengths. The whole plot can be seen as a metaphor for about seven different things, and in the last third it poses a lot of questions and then never answers any of them, dropping plenty of clues, some red herrings and then folds its arms and stares at the audience waiting for an answer. And I love films that do that, as long as thereís enough evidence to support both sides, such as here.

And, it being the Coens, thereís a great ensemble cast and a witty script to ensure that the clue-hunting doesnít get boring. Standouts include Michael Lerner (ďItís the carrot that wags the dog!Ē) and Steve Buscemi, who turns up about twice and still leaves an impression (and he may be the devil or Charon or something). Overall, itís an enjoyable head-bender that builds the clues and tension into a climax that may not provide answers, but it sure as hell poses satisfying questions.

BEST SCENE (SPOILERS)-ďIíll show you the life of the mind!Ē Sure, itís a bit daffy, but after all the build-up itís a great payoff, and John Goodman sells the hell out of it.

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 21/11/2011 1:12:11 AM >

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 138
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 1:25:21 AM   
Rebel scum

70-Eight-Legged Freaks

I donít expect this one to show up on any other lists on the forum, but this is a serious guilty pleasure. Itís an unashamedly fun B-movie that takes a simple premise (Giant spiders go apeshit on a small town) and has fun with it. This film doesnít take anything seriously, the spiders themselves work as a threat, but also get involved in slapstick involving a cat, which dances across the line between dark comedy and horror wonderfully. The cast all know theyíre in a big dumb horror film and act accordingly, playing their stock characters with such carefreeness we actually end up caring. The small bit-parts are obviously having a ball-especially the obligatory conspiracy theorist and the dumbass deputy. The script gives them some great lines as well-even if it is all B-movie clichť, it still finds time to be clever, such as the kid despairing that nobody will believe him because in horror films nobody ever believes the kid.

The set-pieces are where the film really excels though, with the numerous different types of spiders being put to great use-jumping spiders go after teens on motorbikes, trapdoor spiders grab emus in a surprisingly tense night-time scene-in fact, the film is pretty ruthless when it comes to showing people getting killed by spiders-a lot of quirky support characters wind up dead.

Thereís not much else to say about it, other than that itís the most unashamedly fun horror film of the last decade, or maybe ever, and itís an absolute blast even if you are an arachnophobe.

BEST SCENE: The kids of motorbikes vs. Jumping spiders. A lot of the teens actually get killed, which is pretty brave, and it keeps up the tension with the spiders constantly getting closer to the leader. It also features a guy kicking a giant spider in the face in mid-air.

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 21/11/2011 1:26:28 AM >

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 139
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 1:28:20 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Clerks is the only Smith film I like, Collateral is great, not seen Fink in ages and Eight Legged Freaks is good, silly fun.

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 140
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 8:50:33 AM   
matty_b

Clerks - irritating

Collateral - I like a lot.

Barton Fink - fantastic.

Eight Legged Freaks - what Gimli said.

quote:

Post #: 141
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 8:52:49 AM   
MovieAddict247

Eight Legged Freaks is a lot of fun.

Not seen the others.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 142
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 1:19:54 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Clerks - irritating

What did you find irritating about it?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 143
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 1:23:53 PM   
matty_b

It was mainly the script. Specifically, the bits that sound really clunky and overwritten - such as the infamous Star Wars skit. It looks funny written down, and might work with better actors and a better director, but it just doesn't sound like something anyone would come out with, even a massive geek. It's like Smith thought it was a funny theory to have and just crammed it into his film, no matter how awkward it feels.

Not a big fan of the performances, either.

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 144
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 1:34:21 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

It was mainly the script. Specifically, the bits that sound really clunky and overwritten - such as the infamous Star Wars skit. It looks funny written down, and might work with better actors and a better director, but it just doesn't sound like something anyone would come out with, even a massive geek. It's like Smith thought it was a funny theory to have and just crammed it into his film, no matter how awkward it feels.

Not a big fan of the performances, either.

Agree with this. I think the script is fine it's just the delivery that, for the most part, is stilted and unconvincing.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 145
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 3:51:04 PM   
Rebel scum

I can understand how Smith's comedy can be somewhat polarizing, but I never had a problem with the performances, although the actress playing the ex (Name escapes me) did have a few unconvincing moments.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 146
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 4:21:13 PM   
Rebel scum

69-The Wages of Fear

Despite what the title may imply, The Wages of Fear starts out as a fascinating portrayal of daily life in a town itís impossible to escape from, as seen through the perspective of two old friends who run into each other for the first time in a while. The humdrum of day-to-day life and the relationships with everyone else does serve as build-up to the second half, but is still wonderful to watch, especially since the kind of community shown is rarely seen in cinema. It also serves to introduce the company, which is portrayed as bad, but not staffed by moustache-twirling nutters like so many Hollywood equivalents.

However, the meat of the film is in the second half as four characters are tasked with driving some trucks filled with nitro-glycerine to somewhere else. And what follows is an hour or so of straight-up tension, with nary a pause for breath and yet still sneaking in character moments. Seeing the men go from cocky to panicking to determination, and learning about each other on the way is well done, especially as their character moments are wound into the tense set-pieces. This is a film that makes something like reversing or blowing up a boulder excruciatingly tense affairs, drawing out the suspense and focussing on close-ups of the characters as they navigate the obstacles knowing they could blow up at any minute. The eventual denouement does lack the thrill that leads up to it, but it doesnít lessen what is one of the finest suspense films ever made.

BEST SCENE: The four of them trying to use some of their nitro-glycerine to blow up a boulder blocking the path. The careful preparation and slowness with which they go about this only increases the tension in the scene.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 147
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 4:34:51 PM   
Rebel scum

68-Ringu

The thing that cripples Ringu for first-time viewers is that they know whatís coming. The final, most shocking scene in the film is firmly engrained in popular culture to the extent that most people going in only know that one scene, and thatís a damn shame because watching it with no idea itís coming heightens the impact considerably and makes it a satisfying payoff. Fortunately, the 100 or so minutes building up to it is also absolutely top-notch, and the way it plays more like a mystery than a horror only increases the scare factor when shit gets real.

What a lot of people tend to forget about Ringu is that for most of its running time, Sadako is absent. Sheís glimpsed in the video, and once or twice, but the film wisely avoids showing too much of her, and what she does to her victims is never seen-just the aftermath. The less-is-more maxim here works wonders, as sheís established as a threat and then pushed to the background just enough that the threat of her looms over the rest of the film. The focus is on working out what the video is and how the curse can be stopped, which turns into working out who Sadako is. Some of the twists in the story can still surprise, and the eventual way the curse can be beaten is surprisingly dark-sure, I wasnít expecting sunshine and rainbows at the end but the very fact that all the protagonist has managed to do is make things worse is pretty boldly dark, and the final image is absolutely bone-chilling.

BEST SCENE: The videotape itself. It had every chance to come across as stupid or cheesy, but the surreal nature of it and the way that every single image is a clue to the mystery makes it work. On rewatch, everything in the tape makes a twisted kind of sense, which is quite an achievement.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 148
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 5:35:12 PM   
matty_b

Great films, the pair of them.

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 149
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 21/11/2011 6:05:56 PM   
Rhubarb

Yeah, I really love Ringu.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI