Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 15/9/2012 8:49:36 AM   
Rebel scum

That's fair enough, Zodiac's my second-favourite of his, and just missed out on the list. I think the one thing that makes me favour Se7en over Zodiac is that Se7en's better paced, and Jake Gyllenhaal's wife in Zodiac annoyed me, because she's the typical "I'm worried you're getting too obsessed with X. Now I've said that, I'll disappear from the film." Paltrow in Se7en conveys the same sort of worry for her husband, without needing that kind of scene-and she's also relevant to the larger story so time spent with her is actually relevant and doesn't feel like an interlude from a different, much worse script.

It's still great though-if you'd said Benjamin Button I'd have to ask you to step outside .

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 421
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 15/9/2012 10:18:43 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Zodiac is an awesome film, I was blown away by it on first viewing. Finchers meticulous planning, and the cinematography and music really conveys the look and feel of the 70's, and a community in fear of the Zodiac killer. The scene of the Zodiac's killing of that couple in the park was gut wrenching and horrific, but Fincher never flinches. And it makes the scene all the more powerful. We know that the killer was never caught but Fincher still manages to rack up the tension in a few stand out scenes.

But like you, if I had to choose between Zodiac and Se7en, i'm afraid i'll have to go for Se7en. I say this because as great a film Zodiac is, Se7en is on a whole different level. Its a film which shocked me, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. The ending was one of the biggest gut punches in cinema. The cinematography by Darius Khondji is absolutely superb. Conveying the mood of an (unnamed) city, filled with darkness and dread. Its like a medieval feeling, of hell, death and disease forwarded into a modern city. A sickness, which is underlying in the city. And Kevin Spacey gives a powerhouse performance of a monster born from this decay. All the actors are superb in this film, Spacey yes, but also Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, and Gyneth Paltrow. I feel Pitt delivers one of the best performances of his career in this film. And oh, did I mention Se7en has one of the coolest lines in moviedom;

''just 'cos the fuckers got a library card, doesn't mean he's Yoda''

Brilliant.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 422
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 15/9/2012 1:21:57 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

Congrats on finishing the list Rebel, it was a great read and quite a few of my favourite films are well represented. You should post your updated top 100 as a list. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the old one.

Thanks .

And since you asked:

In Brief, My Updated Top 100, Taking Into Account An Extra Years' Worth Of Films

1-Seven
2-Aliens
3-12 Angry Men
4-The Lord of the Rings
5-Airplane!
6-Jurassic Park
7-The Shining
8-Panís Labyrinth
9-Galaxy Quest
10-Memento
11-Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
12-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
13-Downfall
14-The Lion King
15-The Shawshank Redemption
16-Alien
17-Groundhog Day
18-Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
19-The Cabin in the Woods
20-The Princess Bride
21-The Silence of the Lambs
22-Casablanca
23-North by Northwest
24-The Secret of Kells
25-Brazil
26-On the Waterfront
27-Moon
28-Magnolia
29-Rear Window
30-Raiders of the Lost Ark
31-The Matrix
32-The Orphanage
33-Predator
34-A Clockwork Orange
35-Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
36-The Rocky Horror Picture Show
37-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
38-American Beauty
39-The Wicker Man
40-The Artist
41-The Fog (1980)
42-Dog Day Afternoon
43-Watchmen
44-The Thing (1982)
45-Shutter Island
46-Up
47-Eight-Legged Freaks
48-Black Swan
49-Halloween
50-50/50
51-No Country for Old Men
52-The Dark Knight
53-Unforgiven
54-Jaws
55-Blazing Saddles
56-Itís A Wonderful Life
57-Wild Strawberries
58-Glengarry Glen Ross
59-The Seventh Seal
60-Toy Story 3
61-Inception
62-The Apartment
63-The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
64-A History of Violence
65-Paths of Glory
66-Dirty Harry
67-The Adventures of Robin Hood
68-Heavenly Creatures
69-Requiem For A Dream
70-Peeping Tom
71-Ivanís Childhood
72-The Killing Fields
73-Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
74-Wallace and Gromit Shorts
75-Six Shooter
76-An American Werewolf in London
77-Ringu
78-The Wages Of Fear
79-Die Hard
80-Barton Fink
81-Collateral
82-Clerks
83-The Nightmare Before Christmas
84-The Penalty
85-The Spirit of the Beehive
86-The Sixth Sense
87-Life of Brian
88-American History X
89-The Birds
90-Come And See
91-Ghostbusters
92-Stand By Me
93-Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
94-Hugo
95-Strangers on a Train
96-The Usual Suspects
97-Goldeneye
98-The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
99-Them!
100-The Blair Witch Project

Hooray for the inclusion of Come and See. Boo! Hiss! for dropping Evil Dead 2.

As for Fincher's best film, Fight Club takes that honour for me.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 423
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 15/9/2012 1:52:09 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Eternal Sunshine, Se7en, Memento and Sunrise cracked the Top 20.. I fully support this list

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 424
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 15/9/2012 6:11:07 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

But like you, if I had to choose between Zodiac and Se7en, i'm afraid i'll have to go for Se7en. I say this because as great a film Zodiac is, Se7en is on a whole different level. Its a film which shocked me, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. The ending was one of the biggest gut punches in cinema. The cinematography by Darius Khondji is absolutely superb. Conveying the mood of an (unnamed) city, filled with darkness and dread. Its like a medieval feeling, of hell, death and disease forwarded into a modern city. A sickness, which is underlying in the city. And Kevin Spacey gives a powerhouse performance of a monster born from this decay. All the actors are superb in this film, Spacey yes, but also Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, and Gyneth Paltrow. I feel Pitt delivers one of the best performances of his career in this film. And oh, did I mention Se7en has one of the coolest lines in moviedom;

''just 'cos the fuckers got a library card, doesn't mean he's Yoda''

Brilliant.

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

Hooray for the inclusion of Come and See. Boo! Hiss! for dropping Evil Dead 2.

Come and See could probably go up a few places in the future, it's got that position solely on the strength of my first viewing. And Evil Dead 2 only just made the 100 the first time round, it's still a cracking film but I couldn't justify keeping it in!

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Eternal Sunshine, Se7en, Memento and Sunrise cracked the Top 20.. I fully support this list

Thanks

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 425
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 15/9/2012 6:34:21 PM   
matty_b

I'm a big fan of Aliens. It does something that very few action films pull off - it exhausts you. The moment where the dropship pulls back before speeding out of the refinery before it goes nuclear is heartstopping and nerve-hammering stuff.

Se7en is one of my very favourites.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 426
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 15/9/2012 9:15:59 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

That's fair enough, Zodiac's my second-favourite of his, and just missed out on the list. I think the one thing that makes me favour Se7en over Zodiac is that Se7en's better paced, and Jake Gyllenhaal's wife in Zodiac annoyed me, because she's the typical "I'm worried you're getting too obsessed with X. Now I've said that, I'll disappear from the film." Paltrow in Se7en conveys the same sort of worry for her husband, without needing that kind of scene-and she's also relevant to the larger story so time spent with her is actually relevant and doesn't feel like an interlude from a different, much worse script.

It's still great though-if you'd said Benjamin Button I'd have to ask you to step outside .

I got five minutes into Benjamin Button, then there was an advert break, so I channel hopped. I never channel hopped back.

Great list overall though - an awful lot of my favourite films there.

And the fact 12 Angry Men is so high makes up for the ones I disagree with!

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 427
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 16/9/2012 11:03:46 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

1-Se7en

Better than Ikiru.

The deserving underdog won that HoF.

Congrats on finishing.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 428
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 17/9/2012 8:37:05 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

1-Se7en

Better than Ikiru.

The deserving underdog won that HoF.

Congrats on finishing.

I thought Bigger Than Life went out in the first round .

Thanks

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 429
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 18/9/2012 11:06:25 AM   
chambanzi

Congrats on the list, a lot of really great films in there. Seven is a damn fine film. My favourite Fincher is Fight Club but Seven is undeniably awesome. The killer is handled absolutely fantastically in the film from the way he seemingly occupies every single space to the surprise police station scene and the epic finale. On a rewatch I think Morgan Freeman really holds the film together though and is probably the most interesting character that we want to learn more about.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 430
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI