Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 16/6/2012 10:59:34 AM   
rawlinson

Well if anyone was really to blame it was the selfish parents who didn't destroy the copies of their Disney films so they didn't get in the way when I was waiting to have sex.

But the film's not very good anyway.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 361
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 16/6/2012 11:08:12 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

16-Alien

The instant camaraderie between the members of the crew is great fun to watch,

In the spirit of entry 19, I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

I'd be hard pressed to call it even banter - its a combination of ongoing arguments, resentments, oneupmanship and general pissiness (really well written to put the character interactions in place). What I'd say is that this crew doesn't particularly like each other. Possibly the one person they like is Kane, which is telling.

If you leave aside the trying to have sex with babysitters part, I'm with Rawlinson on wiping Lion King out of existence.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 362
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 16/6/2012 11:16:26 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

If you leave aside the trying to have sex with babysitters part

Just to clarify. I wasn't trying, I was waiting. The sex was guaranteed, I just had to hear Circle of Life before I was allowed to have it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 363
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 16/6/2012 11:27:10 AM   
chambanzi

Lmao that is the best reason to dislike a film ever. At least with The Lion King you have 'The Circle of Life' to inadvertently put the girl in the mood. I once stayed round a girls and after the notion we would have sex she calmly fell asleep to 'The Rescuers' and I was stuck in some awkward, uncomfortable hugging stance, left disappointed as the 'Rescuer Society' theme patronised me and my predicament.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 364
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 16/6/2012 12:14:50 PM   
elab49

So - do all men have an unreasoning sex related hatred of certain Disney films or just you two? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 365
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 16/6/2012 5:11:21 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

quote:

16-Alien

†The instant camaraderie between the members of the crew is great fun to watch,

In the spirit of entry 19, I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

I'd be hard pressed to call it even banter - its a combination of ongoing arguments, resentments, oneupmanship and general pissiness (really well written to put the character interactions in place). What I'd say is that this crew doesn't particularly like each other. Possibly the one person they like is Kane, which is telling.

Yep, you're spot on. I guess what I was looking for is that there's a definite feeling that the relationships between members of the crew feel established and deep even though we're not privy to most of it. Rewatching it recently, camaraderie is definitely is not!

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Just to clarify. I wasn't trying, I was waiting. The sex was guaranteed, I just had to hear Circle of Life before I was allowed to have it.

At least you didn't have to sit through The Fox and the Hound, that would have been an instant buzz-killer.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 366
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 16/6/2012 7:20:51 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

So - do all men have an unreasoning sex related hatred of certain Disney films or just you two?†

It's not unreasoning. I wanted sex. The child had to be asleep first. He wanted to watch shitty Disney films. Those are good reasons to loathe those offerings from Uncle Walt's House of Cash. I got my revenge on the little brat the day we found his father's old Megadrive and I introduced him to the joys of Splatterhouse.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 367
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 17/6/2012 1:33:32 PM   
chambanzi

I don't dislike 'The Rescuers' at all, lovely little fellas. That is why I was left so crushed when they cost me

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 368
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 22/7/2012 2:48:02 PM   
Rebel scum

13-Downfall

The main drawback with studying History at University is that itís hard to sit back and enjoy films set in the past without pointing out any historical inaccuracies to the rapidly diminishing company watching it with you. That said, Downfall is one of precious few films Iíve found little to fault even once Iíd had to go over it from a historical point of view. Itís a flawless portrayal of the last few days of the Third Reich, even more remarkable for making Hitler part of the broader picture instead of the main character. The film even continues for a good half-hour or so after Hitlerís death, showing the reaction from the German citizens who had been blindly following his every directive for the past decade. Whatís really shocking is watching peopleís utter despair when learning the news, and one suicide in this sequence is shocking because it shows that the German people were terrified of a world without Hitler. I havenít seen a more sobering account of these last days, and itís testament to the quality of the film that it also works as a compelling slice of historical drama.

The reason it does so is due to two key factors. The first is Bruno Ganzís performance as Hitler, which is one of the greatest ever. He resists the urge to play to popular stereotypes and instead shows Hitler as a man whose sanity is slowly breaking down in the face of defeat. While heís still clearly an evil man, itís hard not to empathise with him in some scenes, as he stares at a portrait of Frederick the Great in the dead of night wondering why he failed but Frederick succeeded. Even the infamous freak-out scene remains undiminished even by the stupidest of Youtube mixes, showing him as a vulnerable yet dangerous man.

The second reason is that the supporting players around him are all actual characters, and not merely historical ciphers. One character who rarely gets his dues is the doctor who stays in Berlin to treat wounded men even as the city falls around him. Heís shown as a Nazi, but also as a human who deeply cares about those around him. One the flipside is the portrayal of the Goebbelsí, who are shown to be worse than Hitler at times, especially once the fate of their children is shown in a horrifyingly upsetting scene. The simple shot where Joseph leaves the room and leans against a wall in despair next to a door marked ďGassĒ says so much about the Nazi mentality without any dialogue at all.

BEST SCENE: Thereís plenty of small moments that really hit home, but the moment that always gets me is the fate of the Goebbels children, and what makes it worse is the knowledge that it actually happened.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 369
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 22/7/2012 2:49:05 PM   
Rebel scum

12-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

An accusation regularly levelled at me by my circle of friends is that I irrationally hate any romance movie. My retort usually involves two points: First, theyíre basing this on me hating bilge like Coupleís Retreat and The Notebook, and secondly, that I love Eternal Sunshine, which was until recently my favourite romance movie because itís about two people I actually like and want to see together even as the film threatens to destroy their relationship completely. Most of this is down to Carrey and Winslet convincing as two perfectly ordinary people who love and care about each other-even when considering that the Winslet seen through most of the film is a construct in Carreyís head.

Part of it is also down to the way their relationship is shown, giving us the arguments that lead to the breaking down of the relationship first, then showing that these people were once deeply in love. Once this happens, the determination of Carrey to keep just one happy memory even as they disappear around him is both moving and (particularly when Carrey regresses to childhood) surprisingly funny. Itís a testament to the movieís quality that when the film cuts out of Carreyís head to the Lacuna workers that my interest didnít wane-theyíre interesting characters living their own lives, and their stories serve to reflect aspects of the central relationship. It also adds to the ending, which is both ambiguous and perfect.

Itís odd that the second-most convincing love story in cinema takes place entirely in a rebelling characterís head, but thatís due to the great writing and two amazing central performances.

BEST SCENE: Carreyís initial realisation that he doesnít want to go through with the procedure, frantically crawling through the bedclothes muttering ďJust let me keep this one.Ē What makes it all the more affecting is that itís followed by the Lacuna workers clicking it out of existence forever.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 370
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 22/7/2012 7:08:51 PM   
Rebel scum

11-Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

Until Iíd watched Sunrise, only one silent film had impressed me (The Penalty) and even then I didnít unreservedly love it. Sunrise, on the other hand, blew me away with just over an hour and a half of absolute perfection. Itís a beautiful portrayal of a couple, previously so distant, learning to love each other over one day in town. Itís a credit to the film too that the path isnít an easy one, with one fifteen minute segment consisting of the man trying to make up with the woman, the only intertitle being ďDonít be afraid of me.Ē It should be mawkish, but the emotions and the absolutely sterling acting on display make it work, and the same is true of the entire film.

Interestingly, for the first fifteen minutes or so itís completely different, instead favouring a surreal take of the man and a ďwoman from the cityĒ plotting infidelity and wife-murder. Thereís no romance on display, more a sexual lust that immediately clues us in that this relationship is doomed to eventually come to blows. Thereís a lot more stylistic messing around in this part, and some brilliant usage of intertitles-watch as the word ďdrownedĒ ripples ominously once it comes up. The sets and camera work here is beautiful, the foggy moors in particular being part fairytale, part gothic horror. And yet, once the planned murder fails due to the man realising at the last minute the horror of what he plans, the film flips into the beautiful romance I described.

Most of the rest of the movie is a simple series of incidents that occur around the town that separately are entertaining enough, but together show how their forgotten love blossoms again, until they are once again totally devoted to each other. It sounds so hackneyed and trite when put like that, but the film sells it in a way modern romance flicks can only dream of. Thereís even a show-stopping action scene at the end which is both really impressive for the time and provides a real emotional finale. Anyone not sold on silent movies should watch this immediately.

BEST SCENE: Hard to pick between the style of the opening, the tension of the attempted murder, the joy and comedy of the scene where they attempt to hide the thing they broke before scarpering, or the great emotional payoff of the ending. Iíll have Ďem all.

*Note* Previously, my top 100 was going to be unchanged, but when a rewatch of Double Indemnity made it drop off the list, I opted to include the highest new entry in its stead. This is it.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 371
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 22/7/2012 7:24:02 PM   
Rebel scum

Welcome to the Top 10! I might actually finish this!

10-Memento

I love a film that plays around with its narrative. Not those that do it because it would be so much fun tee hee (See also: Pulp Fiction) but those that have a legitimate, interesting reason to do so, such as the aforementioned Eternal Sunshine and this film, still Nolanís best. The reason that the narrative jumble works here is because it puts us in the same predicament as the filmís hero, in that we know just as much as he does about why heís doing whatever heís doing. One comic moment shows this perfectly, as we cut to a scene where Leonard wanders what heís up to, before thinking heís chasing someone, before realising upon being shot at that heís the one being chased-it works perfectly within the film, and plays on audience expectations of what came before, since the last time we saw the chap chasing him he was dead. Another moment that shows this perfectly is when Natalie storms off after an argument, claiming sheíll play innocent because she knows Leonard wonít remember. We hope she doesnít succeed-then realise that she does, and we fell for it a few minutes ago too!

Thereís more to recommend the film than its brilliant narrative though, such as a career-best performance from Guy Pearce, who genuinely convinces as the short-term memory loss-stricken man we follow throughout the film. Carrie-Anne Moss is pretty good too (what happened to her anyway?) and Joe Pantoliano is a lot of fun as a chap Teddy trusts but we-having seen the ďendingĒ of the film-donít. Thereís also some really good kinetic directing from Nolan, his style here fitting the perspective of our hero.

Really though, what it comes down to is that this is one of the finest thrillers ever made, managing to provide shocking plot twists even though we know what happens ďnextĒ. Absolutely spellbinding cinema from finish to start.

BEST SCENE: I still love the ďIím chasing this guy/Nope, heís chasing meĒ moment-a rare burst of comedy from the film that still fits the character perfectly.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 372
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 22/7/2012 7:31:30 PM   
matty_b

Downfall, Eternal Sunshine and Memento are all various shades of excellent.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 373
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 22/7/2012 7:42:42 PM   
Rebel scum

9-Galaxy Quest

No, Iím not saying Galaxy Quest is a better film than Sunrise, Downfall etc. What I am saying is that this is just so much damn fun I canít not put it in my personal 10. Thereís just so much I love about this movie that I canít help but love it. I mean, come on, Alan Rickmanís in it as an insufferably British support character! Sigourney Weaverís in a sci-fi film thatís not Alien! Sam Rockwellís in it period! Thereís a giant rock monster and wonderfully OTT spaceship battles and an affectionate mocking of Star Trek tropes throughout and itís all a blast to sit through every single time I watch it.

More seriously, in terms of spoofs, Galaxy Quest is definitely one that cares about what itís spoofing. Unlike spoofs that donít understand why people love what theyíre spoofing and so just resort to lazy jokes and character puns, Galaxy Quest has fun with the clichťs of Star Trek, imagining what it would be like if the crew of the Starship Enterprise had no idea what they were doing. Tim Allenís captain in particular is a perfect expy of William Shatner, but is also still his own character, and seeing his cocky facade get punctured by Sarris (Great villain, by the way, mostly because he gets no jokes) is genuinely heartbreaking. There are similarly surprisingly telling moments throughout, such as the reveal of why the Thermians need the actors so much. Thereís depth here that goes beyond spoofing and turns the film into an engaging sci-fi film in its own right. It even makes a few references to fandom, the conventions and people the actors have to deal with being unrecognisable from those that Star Trek actors have to deal with. Thereís one great moment where a bunch of uber-fans rally together to save the day thatís both hilarious and, considering what fandomís actually achieved since then, almost prescient.

But itís also funny as hell, most of the best lines going to Alan Rickmanís despairing British thespian who feels above the whole sci-fi gig and hates Tim Allen stealing the spotlight all the time. Whether itís him storming off after a pitched spaceship battle ďTo see if thereís a pub!Ē, or flicking an autograph to a fan with hilarious contempt, Rickman steals the movie, though Sam Rockwellís terrified ďCrewman No. 6Ē, who spends the entire film thinking heíll die, does come close.

Galaxy Quest isnít a masterpiece, and it wonít change anybodyís life. But for an hour and a half itís pure, unrivalled entertainment, and one of the funniest films ever made.

BEST SCENE: Tim Allen battles with a rock monster as the crew gives unhelpful advice of what do. For instance, Alan Rickman suggests working out its motivation, while Sam Rockwell recommends somehow constructing ďa rudimentary latheĒ.

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 22/7/2012 7:43:01 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 374
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 23/7/2012 2:14:43 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Downfall, Sunrise and Galaxy Quest are all amazing.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 375
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 23/7/2012 5:13:44 AM   
rawlinson

Sunrise is amazing and Memento is Nolan's best film. Galaxy Quest is ok, but I will never understand your love for it.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 376
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 23/7/2012 11:18:15 AM   
matty_b

Galaxy Quest is decent, but I'll never understand anyone's love for it!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 377
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 23/7/2012 6:37:32 PM   
Deviation

You're both horrible people. Like Sarras.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 23/7/2012 6:41:37 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 378
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 28/7/2012 10:49:16 PM   
MovieAddict247

Downfall - one of the best performances of the last decade.

Eternal Sunshine - beautiful.

Guy Pearce's torso - beautiful (Memento's pretty great too)

Galaxy Quest - you are now one of my favourite people on this forum.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 379
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 29/7/2012 10:07:35 AM   
Rebel scum

Hmm, looks like Galaxy Quest divides between people who love it and people who don't understand why people love it.

*Scribbles Galaxy Quest onto potential HoF noms list*

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 380
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 30/7/2012 11:49:51 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

Hmm, looks like Galaxy Quest divides between people who love it and people who don't understand why people love it.

*Scribbles Galaxy Quest onto potential HoF noms list*

Galaxy Quest is awesome.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 381
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 30/7/2012 12:08:20 PM   
MonsterCat

Galaxy Quest is the only film that didn't make me want to punch Tim Allen in the cock.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 382
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 30/7/2012 12:12:29 PM   
chambanzi

I can't help but like Tim Allen solely because he is Buzz Lightyear. Those films literally saved his career.
I haven't seen Galaxy Quest anyway, I'll check it out but I have to say I am very picky with my comedies, especially if they are older as they can be dated.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 383
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 30/7/2012 2:31:07 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Galaxy Quest is the only film that didn't make me want to punch Tim Allen in the cock.

That should be the quote on the Blu-Ray cover.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 384
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 30/7/2012 2:37:30 PM   
elab49

Tim Allen's best film - as Tim Allen - is Big Trouble.

There. I said it.

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 385
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 30/7/2012 2:47:12 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Does that mean all films except Galaxy Quest make you want to punch his cock? Or just all Tim Allen films?!
If it's the former, you may need help. (To punch his cock).

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 386
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 4/8/2012 3:53:21 PM   
Rebel scum

8-Panís Labyrinth

Panís Labyrinth is a perfect example of how to combine fantasy and reality. In this film, each compliments the other, the fantastical horrors Ofelia has to face contrast with the very real horror going on around her constantly, with the Spanish Civil War still going and her stepfather being an evil dick. Whatís even more remarkable is that the film doesnít focus too much on the fantasy, instead going the other way and having any purely fantastical scenes serving almost as interludes to the rest of the film, to the extent that itís perfectly possible to surmise that the fantasy moments are happening solely in Ofeliaís head as a form of release, though personally I donít subscribe to this theory.

Whatís possibly even more remarkable than everything Iíve just mentioned is that while the strongest overall scene in the film is fantasy-based, the strongest portions of the film all take place firmly in reality, and theyíre so strong that they linger in your mind long after the credits. One standout moment is early on, when the stepfather comes across two men, father and son, who claim to have been hunting rabbits. The stepfather beats one to a pulp, shoots the other before putting the first out of his misery-and to make it even worse, he then discovers rabbits in their bag, and shows no remorse at all. Itís a brutal, hard to watch scene that only serves to underline a common theme throughout the film-the fantasy creatures and tasks are dangerous, but the biggest threat to Ofelia is the people around her.

Thatís not to put down the fantasy moments-thereís a reason that the Pale Man in particular has become so iconic. Itís just that all the strongest performances in the film come from that reality section-the stepfather, the rebel leader, and Ofelia herself are all strong character expertly played by some fantastic actors. Add in a brilliant script and a genuinely unique design and feel to the environments and creatures Ofelia encounters, and we have the second-greatest fantasy movie ever made, and the best historical movie ever made.

BEST SCENE: The Pale Man, of course. Several minutes of absolutely nail-biting tension, one of cinemaís greatest monsters, and even after itís finished itís still a threat. I was terrified for the entire remainder of the film that the Pale Man would use the dropped chalk to escape and attack again; Iím not sure whether or not Iím happy I was wrong.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 387
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 4/8/2012 4:06:06 PM   
Rebel scum

7-The Shining

I know not many people would have this as Kubrickís best, but even taking into account his stellar filmography, The Shining stands out for me as his best work. Maybe itís because the story heís adapting is my third-favourite Stephen King novel (1-Salemís Lot, 2-Wizard and Glass), and the changes he make tend to improve on the story, even if he did omit the hedge creatures. Maybe itís because it manages to be scary simply through showing long takes of an almost deserted hotel, only broken up by the sound of a ball hitting a wall, or a small bike trundling along the corridors, so when the bigger scares come, they come almost as a relief. But part of why I like the movie so much was reading Ebertís Great Movie essay on it. While Iím not going to quote it, essentially he pointed out how questionable reality is in the movie, how every character might be conjuring up unreliable versions of events, and how Dannyís power might be affecting his parents into paranoid fantasies. It was a fantastic reading which, in my opinion, makes the film a true masterpiece.

Sure, I could nitpick, I guess Shelly Duvall is kind of annoying, though considering how highly strung her character clearly is sheís acting perfectly in character by panicking, screaming and trying to escape. Even when her world is collapsing, sheís still sensible enough to grab a knife, barricade herself and Danny in the bathroom, and try to escape through the window-if it were a shoddier horror film sheíd have dropped the knife, made a mad run for it and hid under the bed or something. Also, I like Jack Nicholson in this, so sue me. Early on heís clearly a man barely in control of his rage, who shouldnít have the job, but he charms his way into getting it. Then we see at the hotel him becoming more and more unhinged, in very subtle ways. People tend to jump straight to him being crazy and complain heís OTT, but the film shows his progression to that insanity in a way that works just fine for me.

Overall, I know this wonít be to everyoneís taste, and I think a lot of people on here dislike it, but to me itís a great horror film, one that stays scary every watch.

BEST SCENE: Iíll take ďHereís Johnny!Ē as read and instead opt for the 237 scene with Jack. Creepy, strangely erotic, and with a hell of a punchline.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 388
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 14/8/2012 11:32:11 PM   
Rebel scum

6-Jurassic Park

Growing up, I was a typical boy, in that I thought dinosaurs were the coolest thing ever. As a kid I was subjected to endless Land Before Time sequels (3 was the best), and Walking with Dinosaurs (Still a great watch even today) but at the age of ten I was finally allowed to see a film Iíd been aching to see ever since catching five minutes of it on TV. My first watch of Jurassic Park blew me away, and for a while it was my all-time favourite movie ever. Watching it nowadays, I can appreciate things my hyped-up young self missed, like the subtle commentary on the ethics of cloning that doesnít get in the way of the rest of the film but is still clever. Jeff Goldblumís oft-quoted ď...Didnít stop to consider if they should!Ē line perfectly sums up the dangers inherent in such a practice, but does it in such a way that it both fits his character and flows naturally with the dialogue in the scene up till that point. The actual scientific aspects of the screenplay are both patently ridiculous and yet believable, although some of that may be due to the genius edition of Mr. DNA early on. The result is a world that will probably never happen, and yet itís presented just realistically enough that, for 2 hours, we totally buy that it does. Itís also really good at defining characters just well enough that we wind up caring for them once the inevitable dino-chaos breaks out almost exactly halfway into the film.

And what dino-chaos! The main reason this film is so high is because the main set-pieces of the film blew my mind then and now are still some of the best moments in cinema. The early T-Rex rampage is a triumph of tension-making and excitement, as well as a pitch-perfect blending of CGI and traditional animatronics. The lack of music, the various beats in the scene that constantly keep things shifting up, the multiple heart-in-mouth moments (The T-Rex breaking through the sunroof, Ian striking up the second flare), the lawyer gets eaten (Yes!)-itís a masterclass in how to make a set piece, and every other one in the film has exactly the same great staging and is just as exciting. The Gallimimus stampede, the T-Rex/jeep chase, the Raptors doing anything, itís all perfect. This is how to do a summer blockbuster, and itís still the greatest one ever made.

BEST SCENE: T-Rex stampede, every time, though I have to give honourable mentions to the Brachiosaurs reveal and the Raptors in the kitchen.

I also feel I should post this, as it is tangentially related and is the greatest thing ever:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 389
RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films - 15/8/2012 12:15:03 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I also feel I should post this, as it is tangentially related and is the greatest thing ever:[/font] [/size]

I do love that scene though. The sense of awe and wonder for both audience and characters is so right, and something that Spielberg's a master at.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Rebel Scum's Top 100 Favourite Films Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI