Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The PS4 Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The PS4 Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The PS4 Thread - 27/5/2011 11:52:05 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Sony has begun development on the PlayStation 4, with the games giant confirming that work on the console was already underway.

In Sony's year-on-year results of its Networked Products & Services division – which comprises the PlayStation brand and PCs – Sony hinted that it was working on the PlayStation 4 but would not give any more details.

PlayStation 4 plans

"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life," said Sony's Masaru Kato.

"But this is a platform business, so for the future platform – when we'll be introducing what product, I cannot discuss – but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there."

Kato also explained that some cost-cutting will happen with the development of the PS4.

Speaking to investors, he said: "It is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3."

This makes sense considering the amount of money Sony pumped into the PS3 in its initial development phases.

It was only with the launch of the PS3 Slim that Sony could actually count on making a profit with its next-gen games console.

What?

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 1
RE: The PS4 Thread - 27/5/2011 11:57:23 AM   
DJ Satan

Is that a confession that they lost this generation's console wars?

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 2
RE: The PS4 Thread - 27/5/2011 12:40:14 PM   
Chief

I reckon they should focus on getting this one working.

Post #: 3
RE: The PS4 Thread - 27/5/2011 2:09:15 PM   
kata

Tut, was going to buy a PS3 in the winter to go with the Star Wars bluray.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 4
RE: The PS4 Thread - 27/5/2011 2:14:40 PM   
borstal

Will the PS4 have working online capabilities?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 5
RE: The PS4 Thread - 27/5/2011 7:36:21 PM   
James2183

Should I give them my credit card details now?

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 6
RE: The PS4 Thread - 28/5/2011 3:20:50 PM   
DJ Satan

Wouldn't it be more secure just to post your credit card details on here?

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 7
RE: The PS4 Thread - 31/5/2011 10:42:21 AM   
Ell

I think both consoles (PS3/360) were released too soon, particularly PS3.

We talk of how far behind the Wii is, but if any company won this console war, it's Nintendo. Their subtle marketing strategy to expand the gaming market beyond the core gamer so that the family can train their brain was a proven formula from the get-go.

I can't stand motion control, have only owned a 360 and PS3, and at heart I'm a core gamer - but Sony and Microsoft were quick to jump on the bandwagon with Kinect and Move.

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

Post #: 8
RE: The PS4 Thread - 31/5/2011 10:59:59 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ell

I can't stand motion control, have only owned a 360 and PS3, and at heart I'm a core gamer - but Sony and Microsoft were quick to jump on the bandwagon with Kinect and Move.

Quick? It took them nearly 4 years between the Wii getting released and the PS Move to come out.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 9
RE: The PS4 Thread - 1/6/2011 7:57:09 PM   
Ell

Something tells me two massive industry heavy-hitters like Microsoft and Sony wouldn't just rush out a technology for their respective consoles that wasn't intended for it from the get go. I could be wrong.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither were the concepts, ideas, and marketing of said companies attempts at motion control. "Can't beat 'em, join 'em" and all that!

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 10
RE: The PS4 Thread - 2/4/2012 6:03:39 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

http://nvonews.com/2012/03/30/sony-playstation-4-orbis-set-for-2013-release-major-expected-features/

Orbis it is then....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 11
RE: The PS4 Thread - 2/4/2012 8:57:40 AM   
Chief

That article sounds like a load of bollocks!

Post #: 12
RE: The PS4 Thread - 2/4/2012 9:28:23 AM   
Harry Tuttle

If it's true that the next gen of consoles are going all out to destroy the 2nd hand gaming market* then I wish all the people that it bothers actually show some solidarity and tell MS/Sony to fuck off by not buying into the next gen. It's never gonna happen of course, there are people who'd be first in line for the next thing either company churns out even if they ran on the white blood cells of children.

* I'm still taking reports of MS having no Media drive and this bullshit with tying game licenses to your PSN network with a pinch of salt at the moment because it seems like commercial suicide (although I doubt it would actually make a dent in sales in reality) but if it does turn out to be the case then I'm definitely out. I've seen what Microsoft thinks is fair pricing for downloading their games. GOW3 was on sale on Xbox Live Games on Demand on their Deal of the Week a fortnight ago for the not at all extortionate price of £44.99.

Fuck. That.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 13
RE: The PS4 Thread - 2/4/2012 10:01:57 AM   
Chief

I called bullshit because it said you wouldn't be able to play games unless you validated it through PSN or whatever - what about people that only play offline or don't have the net?

Post #: 14
RE: The PS4 Thread - 15/2/2013 9:10:50 PM   
SWOTBM

Apparently this is the new PS4 controller:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/15/is-this-playstation-4s-controller

Obviously I'd need to see it in real life and see how good it actually is, but just looking at it I have some serious doubts. Looks like they have gone for some WiiU/Xbox hybrid and it looks gimmicky. I don't see why you need speakers or a touchpad, especially one as small as that. Plus with the Move sensor built in (more motion control, not a good sign for the next generation) it just means that an extra/replacement controller will cost a small fortune. I liked the lightweight design of the DS and the move towards a brick-type controller is disappointing.

I do think the concave thumb sticks are a good addition though. I was just kinda hoping they would have changed the triggers and the thumb sticks, with everything else being left as it was. Oh well...

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 15
RE: The PS4 Thread - 15/2/2013 9:14:00 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

The touch pad is confusing, it's so small it serves no purpose as it offers no benefit over the analogue sticks infact it will be harder to reach.

Looks like a nasty pad all in all, though the D-Pad looks like an improvement.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 16
RE: The PS4 Thread - 15/2/2013 9:29:52 PM   
paulyboy

I wish they'd drop the Dual Shock design, it's a crime against thumbs!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 17
RE: The PS4 Thread - 16/2/2013 9:27:59 AM   
kata

It's just a prototype? That will change before release.

Agree about the touchpad, only thing I cant think of that it might be useful for is navigating menus and a web browser.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 18
RE: The PS4 Thread - 16/2/2013 11:06:47 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

It's just a prototype? That will change before release.

Agree about the touchpad, only thing I cant think of that it might be useful for is navigating menus and a web browser.

It would work for web browsing if it was taller, but as things stand you you're going to be looking at hundreds of swipes for vertical movement or an unusable amount of sensitivity!

More pictures leaked today, I get the idea it's prototype in tech only rather than cosmetically.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 19
RE: The PS4 Thread - 16/2/2013 11:09:09 AM   
ChickMagnet

Latest Rumour from IGN is that the PS4 will stream games:

link

If it's a subscription rental service, then definitely count me in, if its rentals you pay per rental? count me out.

Post #: 20
RE: The PS4 Thread - 16/2/2013 11:16:40 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

link

If it's a subscription rental service, then definitely count me in, if its rentals you pay per rental? count me out.

Well the dev kit pictures confirm there's a Blu ray drive, so physical media will still exist going into the next gen.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 21
RE: The PS4 Thread - 16/2/2013 11:25:26 AM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

link

Well the dev kit pictures confirm there's a Blu ray drive, so physical media will still exist going into the next gen.

Absolutely, I think it depends on what exactly the streaming is used for - if its a pay per rental thing where you pay say 4 quid to rent a game for 48 hours, screw that, by the time you'v'e got into the game the rental is over. If its a subscription service and they keep the games on the server long term then I'd be happy, but I don't know why but I can see them doing a monthly subscription but with games only on for a short period of time to get you interested and then once you're hooked take it away from you, meaning you have to actually buy the game.

The thing is if Sony went out and made a download/streaming only console there'd be uproar as people love their games shops and a lot don't trust PSN after the big hacking scandal

Post #: 22
RE: The PS4 Thread - 16/2/2013 11:37:47 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Yup same here, I hope the finished article doesn't look anything like that otherwise the PS4 will be a definite non purchase for me. The Dual Shock joypad is the main reason I decided that I wasn't getting a PS3. It's just a horribly uncomfortable joypad.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 23
RE: The PS4 Thread - 16/2/2013 11:50:43 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Yup same here, I hope the finished article doesn't look anything like that otherwise the PS4 will be a definite non purchase for me. The Dual Shock joypad is the main reason I decided that I wasn't getting a PS3. It's just a horribly uncomfortable joypad.

They seem to have cramped the pad up more despite it getting bigger going off these pictures.

What I don't get in this day and age is why console manufacturers have to stick to just the one style of pad. For example why not use the original Xbox as a benchmark, make a bigger and smaller pad and make one with symmetrical and one with asymmetrical analogue sticks. If you could buy an official pad afterwards that's better suited it would eradicate this issue.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 24
RE: The PS4 Thread - 17/2/2013 6:05:17 PM   
ChickMagnet

Anyone else planning on staying up and watching the announcement on Wednesday? No? No-one? Nah me neither........................................

Post #: 25
RE: The PS4 Thread - 18/2/2013 1:09:48 PM   
sroey

I don't plan on getting a PS4 (or whatever they call it) but the pad design is a bit awkward.

I'm more interested in how it looks for some reason?!? And the Xbox720...Sony love to revise designs of things and rumors are circulating of a re-designed Vita. I'll dig out some links.

What time does it stream in the UK? stupid o'clock? Won't be staying up on a school night for it.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 26
RE: The PS4 Thread - 18/2/2013 1:46:25 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

I don't plan on getting a PS4 (or whatever they call it) but the pad design is a bit awkward.

I'm more interested in how it looks for some reason?!? And the Xbox720...Sony love to revise designs of things and rumors are circulating of a re-designed Vita. I'll dig out some links.

What time does it stream in the UK? stupid o'clock? Won't be staying up on a school night for it.

I'll be staying up for it. Although it's not really that late (11pm GMT). IGN are live-streaming it.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/watch-the-220-playstation-event-on-ign

I'm looking forward to it, hopefully Sony will have learnt from their mistakes. But if the controller is anything to go by...

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 27
RE: The PS4 Thread - 18/2/2013 2:02:23 PM   
sroey

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

I'll be staying up for it. Although it's not really that late (11pm GMT). IGN are live-streaming it.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/watch-the-220-playstation-event-on-ign

I'm looking forward to it, hopefully Sony will have learnt from their mistakes. But if the controller is anything to go by...

Ok so I will be staying up for it then

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 28
RE: The PS4 Thread - 19/2/2013 2:30:22 PM   
paulyboy

I'll probably make the effort and watch it live as well.

That said if I'm rewarded with an annoucement on the PS4 being all "Move Based!", "Immersive!", "Out Of This World!" and "Like Nothing You've Ever Seen!" with some PR vid featuring trendy metrosexual looking twenty somethings waving their genitals in front of a TV to control the latest Uncharted game, I'm going to be pissed.

I just fucking dare you Sony, same goes for you Microsoft!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 29
RE: The PS4 Thread - 19/2/2013 11:02:19 PM   
James2183

RIDGE RACER!!!!

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The PS4 Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI