Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Hangover 2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Hangover 2 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hangover 2 - 27/5/2011 3:47:19 PM   
Swaine

Looks as though Mel Gibson didn't miss out on that much, and Liam Neeson ahd the right idea by backing out

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
- 27/5/2011 4:40:00 PM   
joemanji

Yawnsome! Tired copy of the original, and as the review mention, devoid entirely of actual jokes. Instead we just get a series of 'crazy' events which are neither thrilling nor surprising.

Post #: 32
RE: Hangover 2 - 27/5/2011 5:08:28 PM   
Fit Kisto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swaine

Looks as though Mel Gibson didn't miss out on that much, and Liam Neeson ahd the right idea by backing out

I think they did actually shoot the scene with Neeson for one day, but then couldn't use the footage, because it needed to be reshot for some reason.

I wouldn't mind seeing in on the dvd, a rare chance to watch a respected thespian being a bit goofy.

< Message edited by Fit Kisto -- 27/5/2011 5:09:04 PM >

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to Swaine)
Post #: 33
SHOCKINGLY TERRIBLE - 27/5/2011 5:48:22 PM   
Billie73

This was my most anticipated film of the year. I am shocked by how awful it is.
It has misfired on many levels:
•The monkey smoking...one wonders what mistreatment the poor animal has had to endure - (Water for Elephants...).
•The montage where Alan sees the wolfpack as children drinking etc....hmmmmm. I'm not prudish...but this was not funny, it was uncomfortable to watch
• The nightclub guy (a greek looking Todd Philips?) Remarks to the wolfpack that he can get them "someone younger". Totally wrong. Todd Philips what were you thinking???
• Mr Chow is awful, awful, awful. One of the best things about the first movie was Chow. The audience (I know me and my mates did) cringed everytime he delivered his brash, camp and extremely unfunny remarks.
• Bradley Cooper what happened? Phil has become a whining, prissy glum character this time around. All he does is scream WTF repeatedly.

What a shame. It is clear that the real star of the first Hangover was Vegas. This film lacks the air of quality of the first movie and feels like a tacit direct to video movie.

Worst film of the year. Save your movie and watch by other means ;) - or when the DVD is availible for £2 in ASDA.

Todd Philipps I am disgusted.

Post #: 34
Only 2 stars?!! - 27/5/2011 11:36:49 PM   
cracked actor

Having seen that Empire only gave this 2 stars and knowing I'd already booked tickets to see this tonight I was preparing myself for the worst. Just came out of the cinema and have to say that you guys are COMPLETELY wrong, this film had so many laugh out loud moments and is definitely at least 3 stars. Was Nick de Semlyen watching the same film?? Oh yeah, and what's wrong with Home Alone 2?! Don't mess with the classics! >: (

Post #: 35
- 28/5/2011 2:00:10 AM   
andy12

it is a funny movie it is not 2 star bad as the reviewer says it is. When you're going to see it remember that it is a comedy, don't expect marvelous acting, it's a movie you should watch with a light-headed mind-set without thinking about it to much and just enjoy it as it is a comedy.

Post #: 36
RE: - 28/5/2011 9:37:05 AM   
Wild about Wilder

How FUCKING SNOBBY are the critics being about this if you saw the 1st then you pretty much know what your going to get in the sequel.
yes it's not as good as the 1st but that had the suprise element of being a film that came out of nowhere I & every1 else in the screening laughed our asses of at some of the scenes it's just the same as films like Anaimal House, Porkeys & American Pie is it sick yes, is it OTT yes but is it funny i'd say yes all I wanted was 100 mins of mindless entertainment & it ticked all the boxes, yes it's never going 2 win an Oscar but so FUCKING WHAT! Just sit back & enjoy the ride with the WOLFPACK!
8/10

(in reply to andy12)
Post #: 37
RE: RE: - 28/5/2011 10:41:57 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

How FUCKING SNOBBY are the critics being about this if you saw the 1st then you pretty much know what your going to get in the sequel.

**SPOILERS**

Well that's certainly true. You get probably 50% of the jokes from the first one, with a few details altered. When you have an animal that they have no idea where it came from, Chow leaping out at them from being locked up, trying to find someone they've lost, getting set upon by gangsters, a facial disfigurement and a nonsensical cameo from Tyson (that's all off the top of my head, there's probably more) it smacks of not trying hard enough.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 38
2 STARS??!! - 1 STAR ONLY. TERRIBLE MOVIE. - 28/5/2011 11:22:27 AM   
Billie73

The film has lost the unique comic homour of the first movie and has become like a poor american pie sequel. It relies on gross out homour. College kids and those of the unexperienced nature (I.e adolescents, singletons, or those who have not travelled much) will no doubt love this film.

It is shite.

Post #: 39
RE: SHOCKINGLY TERRIBLE - 28/5/2011 1:10:25 PM   
tommypocket

quote:

ORIGINAL: Billie73

•The monkey smoking...one wonders what mistreatment the poor animal has had to endure - (Water for Elephants...).
•The montage where Alan sees the wolfpack as children drinking etc....hmmmmm. I'm not prudish...but this was not funny, it was uncomfortable to watch
• The nightclub guy (a greek looking Todd Philips?) Remarks to the wolfpack that he can get them "someone younger". Totally wrong. Todd Philips what were you thinking???

Um, sorry to break it to you but sounds as though you are being pretty darn prudish here...

The monkey smoking? You seriously believe that monkey was ACTUALLY smoking?? Considering the first movie was praised for its treatment of the animal actors (see the wiki page) and the fact that the film industry in general has some pretty stringent protocols in place to maintain the safety of animal actors - you are seriously naive.

The 'young-Wolfpack' montage DREAM SEQUENCE (i.e. didn't happen) - sorry to mention it for the second time on this thread, but that is a seriously Daily Mail "won't someone think of the children??!" attitude you've got there...

The nightclub guy remarking he can get them "someone younger"? Unfortunately Thailand (and Bangkok in particular) isn't some theme park tourist destination like Vegas - the reality is this stuff actually happens; it's grim, seedy, immoral and rife in this part of the world.

I can just imagine your face during this film - like Alan Partridge's assistant Lynn, face scrunched up in disapproval, the tutting louder than everyone's popcorn...

For what it's worth, I thought the film was just okay - lacked the freshness of the first, funniest bits are in the trailer blah blah...

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket

(in reply to Billie73)
Post #: 40
- 28/5/2011 3:24:45 PM   
willow1984

Fact: This movie would have been better with Mel Gibson. You guys always get a chubby for Mel.

Post #: 41
Not so much Part 2 just Part 1 again - 28/5/2011 5:17:26 PM   
Gretipolitri

At points funny, but overall a hugely uninspired, unoriginal, unnecessarily crude movie that's so similar to the first that you will just wish you had instead watched the first one again.

Post #: 42
RE: Not so much Part 2 just Part 1 again - 28/5/2011 8:32:59 PM   
MonsterCat

So instead of waiting for it to hit DVD, I decided to see this at my local fleapit. And I wish I hadn't bothered. The Hangover 2 is vile, cruel, hollow and interminably dull.

Bobby Two Times, are you honestly telling me that it's okay to give this rancid, xenophobic piece of trash a pass because it was simply made to give people a few laughs? Please.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 1/12/2011 2:22:14 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Gretipolitri)
Post #: 43
RE: RE: - 28/5/2011 8:38:03 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

yes it's not as good as the 1st but that had the suprise element of being a film that came out of nowhere I & every1 else in the screening laughed our asses of at some of the scenes it's just the same as films like Anaimal House, Porkeys & American Pie is it sick yes, is it OTT yes but is it funny i'd say yes all I wanted was 100 mins of mindless entertainment & it ticked all the boxes, yes it's never going 2 win an Oscar but so FUCKING WHAT! Just sit back & enjoy the ride with the WOLFPACK!
8/10

Of course, cause hating a comedy which they found unfunny, poor or lazy is obviously SO VERY SNOBBY.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 44
If it ain't broke.. - 28/5/2011 10:18:21 PM   
BillClay

seems to be the mantra they went in to with this one. Problem is Part II gives us nothing new. Same premise, same jokes (for the most part), completely uninspired and filled with you know what's going to happen next moments.
I'm giving it 2 stars because it does, in fairness, havea couple of laughs.

Post #: 45
- 29/5/2011 7:10:41 AM   
Tenacious P

You say in the review that a spin-off with Alan would be a better way to go. I disagree, I found his character to be wholly unlikeable & unfunny. Galifianakas' schtick has gotten very old, very fast & this would have been a much better film without him.
Loved the first film but the only time I even came close to chuckling in this one was the photo sequence at the end.
If Hangover 3 gets made, I will avoid like a plagued donkey!

Post #: 46
RE: - 30/5/2011 1:54:59 PM   
jinks

A VERY dissapointing film indeed, the first one was extremely funny. This was just a carbon, humourless, copy, of its superior forebear. Zach Galifianakas was incredibly irritating not even remotely bordering on what could be considered funny. Ken Jeong, could quite possibly be up there with Chris Tucker from The Fifth Element as the most annoying supporting character in a movie.

The Hangover was probably one of those films that didnt warrant a sequel as it stood great as a standalone film - this was depressingly unfunny, dull, seen it all before and smoking monkeys.....not cool.

One of the biggest dissapointments ive seen at the flicks.

(in reply to Tenacious P)
Post #: 47
A formula that works. - 30/5/2011 4:38:49 PM   
The Melting Snowman

Crtics these days, especially the majority above seem to have the same snobbish rule of thumb about film. That a bad review on an anticipated sequel will get more clicks and hits.
Well for those of you out there who are not as pig-minded and glory hungry, I can reveal that this is actually a very enjoyable, laugh out loud film. It unquestionably follows to the dot the formula that made the original a success.

There are many media and art forms out there that are not only successful, but we crave more of because they have nailed a formula we seem to enjoy. 24, The Mentalist Indiana Jones...even Shakespeare ... each are so ridiculously formulaic that sometimes you can time your eggs boiling to the moment Dr House has his 'penny dropping moment', yet you still tune in every week.
Hangover Part two is a great, laugh out loud movie. Alan (Galifianakas), Stu (Helms) and Phil (Cooper) sustain their chemistry on screen as well as they did in 2009. It may have the same storyline, the same actors, (right down to cameos) and the same winning structure as before, but, if at the end of the original you were left wanting more, the makers have produced just that, and given you more of the same, exactly as you wanted, And they definately haven't failed to deliver.

Go watch, you'll laugh just as much as you did the first time.

Post #: 48
Hang-Banged - 30/5/2011 5:14:15 PM   
BatSpider

I haven't even seen it and not gonna, but one star just for the first movie being so shit.

Post #: 49
Awful - 30/5/2011 5:41:27 PM   
Billie73

Download it - see how crap it is.

Post #: 50
RE: dragon tattoo - 30/5/2011 7:26:06 PM   
MonsterCat

Without wanting to come across as a snobby little prick, I fail to understand how anyone can defend this morally bankrupt piece of garbage. Honestly, if you think comedic racial stereotypes are funny, I think you need to recalibrate your moral compass.

Also - even though I don't want to be the guy that complains about Empire's reviews, two out of five stars is waaaay to generous. Fuck this piece of shit.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 51
RE: dragon tattoo - 30/5/2011 7:28:37 PM   
superdan

I don't think it's that bad, those Epic Movie/Meet The Spartans type 'comedies' are far more offensive to me, but it's not a good film. And I loved the first one. I think two stars is fair.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 52
RE: dragon tattoo - 31/5/2011 7:46:06 PM   
horribleives

I haven't seen the film yet so can't comment on its quality, but there's one thing the reviewer gets totally wrong - smoking animals are fucking hilarious.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 53
RE: dragon tattoo - 31/5/2011 7:55:15 PM   
Citizen Dildo

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Without wanting to come across as a snobby little prick, I fail to understand how anyone can defend this morally bankrupt piece of garbage. Honestly, if you think comedic racial stereotypes are funny, I think you need to recalibrate your moral compass.

Also - even though I don't want to be the guy that complains about Empire's reviews, two out of five stars is waaaay to generous. Fuck this piece of shit.

Think you've failed on that score.........

Who'd have thought The Hangover Part 2 would be morally bankrupt huh?

For those who enjoyed the first film, if you accept that the formula is completely replicated this time around, there are alot of laughs to be had. Solid 3 stars for me, although Galifanakis's schtick has/will become tired pretty quickly.

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 54
RE: dragon tattoo - 31/5/2011 7:55:35 PM   
sanchia

The frightening thing is I believe it has had the record breaking biggest weekend ever for a comedy. It doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love though so I will be interested to see the drop off.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 31/5/2011 7:56:13 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 55
RE: dragon tattoo - 31/5/2011 8:06:06 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

The frightening thing is I believe it has had the record breaking biggest weekend ever for a comedy. It doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love though so I will be interested to see the drop off.

I have an idea for The Hangover 3

Ready? Here it is...

Don't bother making it.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 56
- 31/5/2011 9:02:53 PM   
cluesy

It had a few funny moments, which makes this better than one star. The formula was identical and lazy, I thought they might at leats have a couple fresh ideas. Most of the jokes fell flat. Todd Phillips further proves that he has little understanding of comic timing.

Ed Helms, though, is pretty solid for comedy and Bradley Cooper is okay. Most everyone else in the film annoyed me.

Post #: 57
Over the top negativity - 1/6/2011 2:18:38 PM   
sdeady

I saw this the other day and whilst I would agree that the forumula is exactly the same (in the Die Hard 2 mode of sequel), the laughs are still there and the characters are still likeable. Of course this is no masterpiece but if you are looking for a good laugh on a friday night then this will do the job, if you liked the first one and like this sort of humour then you won't go far wrong with this. If you didn't like the first one there is no need to see the sequel.

Post #: 58
forget it worth a miss - 1/6/2011 3:20:18 PM   
kanada83

This film was a waste of time completely, the fisrt one was gr8 fun this is exactly exactly the same in bangkok. Miss this one for sure. 1 star out of five woudle be a better rating.....go see x men instead (whispers: it rocks it rules they got it soooooo right this time x men first class the 2nd must see movie of the summer Scream 4 was the first in chronological order btw)

Post #: 59
Not as shit as you all said... - 2/6/2011 8:34:26 AM   
juangaz

O.k. its no masterpiece and very similar formulae to the first but it was actually funny. There seems to be some snobbery here! Worth a watch but if you're going to quaff pinot noir and ponce about taking to your friends about film noir this isn’t for you.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Hangover 2 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI